Start by marking “The Final Warning (Maximum Ride, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Final Warning (Maximum Ride, #4)

The Final Warning (Maximum Ride #4)

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  56,211 Ratings  ·  2,394 Reviews
In this breathtaking new story from the astonishing imagination of James Patterson, a girl has to save herself from an army assembled just to capture her-and maybe save the planet while she's at it.

Maximum Ride is a perfectly normal teenager who just happens to be able to fly, the result of an out-of-control government experiment. Max and the other members of the Flock-six
ebook
Published March 17th 2008 by Little, Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about The Final Warning, please sign up.

Hope Driscoll It is both. The books are written in two different sections: The Fugitives, and The Protectors. I don't know why, but they are. The Fugitives are the…moreIt is both. The books are written in two different sections: The Fugitives, and The Protectors. I don't know why, but they are. The Fugitives are the first three, and the Protectors are the rest.(less)
Christine Pacquiao its nice to read it in order from its first book, you will be able to understand its history or when was the story started. and its nice, you will be…moreits nice to read it in order from its first book, you will be able to understand its history or when was the story started. and its nice, you will be thrilled. i like reading this book.. =D(less)
Twilight by Stephenie MeyerEvermore by Alyson NoelBreaking Dawn by Stephenie MeyerFallen by Lauren KateMarked by P.C. Cast
Worst YA Books
113th out of 435 books — 454 voters
Inseminoid by Larry MillerLord of the Flies by William GoldingUglies by Scott WesterfeldKept by D.J. TaylorThe War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells
Books I Would NOT Recommend!
61st out of 94 books — 13 voters

More lists with this book...

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
*Editing this review a bit so it's not so lacking in punctuation and whatnot. Gosh, reading it makes my eyes bleed. I'm sorry I used to be such a troll.*

So, I remember the lovely morning I got this book. It was on Easter, and my parents gave it to me. And I was all like, "GOSH GOLLY, THANKS MOM AND DAD!" Because at the time, I was a hardcore Maximum Ride fan and I'd been eagerly awaiting this day to have the fourth book in my hands.

The first thing I noticed about it was that it was disappointin
Jessica
May 15, 2008 Jessica rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: youngadult
P-U, people! Now, I try to be nice in my Goodread-reviewing, really I do. Books I didn't like usually just disappear from my list, unless the author is dead (like Steinbeck), lest I spread bad feelings amongst the authorly community.

But Patterson must be stopped!

And since he doesn't even write these books, I feel the need to call attention to what his "co-writer" is doing.

That is: churning out one of the WORST BOOKS I've read this year!

Good golly, people, what was this? Now, to be frank, the fir
Jennifer Wardrip
My problem with the story wasn't so much that James Patterson used it as a soapbox for global warming -- after all, it's his book, and he can do what he wants.

The problem, as I see it, is there was NO WAY he started writing this series with a plan to make Max's "saving the world mission" one that had anything to do with this topic.

If you go back and read the series from the beginning, starting with THE ANGEL EXPERIMENT, we all knew that Max and the gang had a special mission, a mission that wo
Sella Malin
Apr 04, 2009 Sella Malin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: NO ONE. Unless you're either a) insane, b) enjoy headaches, or c) obsessed with global warming.
Karin
Apr 04, 2008 Karin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008-reads
The release of a sequel is an anticipated event, especially if the sequel is written by a wildly-popular, best-selling author like James Patterson. Approximately 4.8 million copies have been sold of the previous three books in the Maximum Ride series, so hopes were high that Final Warning, the new installment, would be just as entertaining. When a sequel fails to live up to the standards of the previous books in the series, readers feel let down.

There are three issues that affect the quality of
Kerry
Apr 05, 2008 Kerry rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: NO ONE!
What the hell was that? I've been enjoying the humor and action and adventure of this series (even though they are "young adult" and I'm anything but) . . . but this? OK, yeah, it had the humor. And about two chapters of action and adventure. The rest was penguins and Antarctica and snow and OHNOESGLOBALWARMINGISTEHBAAAAAAADDDDD!!!1!!11!!!ELEVENTY-ONE!!!

Mr. Patterson, if I want a lecture on global warming shoved down my throat, I'll go talk to Al Gore. From you I want what you do best: action, a
Leela
Apr 17, 2008 Leela rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Quite a disapointment, compared to the other three books. It's about a third of the size, and is not nearly as good as the others. Where is the HEART POUNDING ACTION? The WITTY SARCASTIC HUMOR? The SUSPENSE that makes you wanna CRY everytime you are forced to put the book down.
I've heard rumors that there are going to be 5 books of this series, and I can only hope the others are much much much better.
Patrick
Aug 25, 2008 Patrick rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
AAAAAAAhhhhhh!! This series is fun. The first three books are an action-packed fun adventure with decent characters. There are plot holes, but the point is believable teenage angst in the midst of constant danger. This 4th book has some good parts involving the characters dealing with adults' expectations of them. But it is also a full-on, boring, crappy, global warming propaganda pamphlet with some random bad guy thrown in out of nowhere and an extra bad hurricane--due to global warming of cour ...more
Gabriella Alaniz
I dropped this series after this book. I found it too childish and cliche. It's a great premise and I had positive expectations but it ended up falling short for me. It's a shame, I had hoped to enjoy this series as so many others had.
Stephanie
Mar 19, 2008 Stephanie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers of the previous books
Shelves: fiction
Ok, the humor was still there. The book was funny. Thin. But funny.

*SPOILERS BEGIN*
I completely felt the ending was horrible. It was a disappointment. It was like Patterson was attempting to write the book, but wasn't done yet, and had forgotten to put in most of the excitement. I was also angry at the sorely lacking Max/Fang scenes. Sure we had a kiss and a mention every other chapter, but there was nothing sturdy. Even the ending, it ends with them going off on another mission. No closure. Mr.
Cassie
Sep 07, 2008 Cassie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Maximum Ride was created to save the world. Now she just needs to figure out how the voice in her head thinks she's going to do this.
With the rest of her flock of Avian-Human hybrids, Max moves from taking down evil corporations to stopping global warming ('cause penguins are cute and hurricanes are bad!).
Now, if only Patterson could be bothered to finish one plot thread before moving on to six more.
If this hadn't been a Maximum Ride book, I would have never finished it, and most likely never ev
Rachel
Aug 29, 2008 Rachel rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Alexa
Aug 20, 2008 Alexa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Brenna Driscoll, Claire Checovich, Beth Hefty, Cecilia DeMarco
Recommended to Alexa by: Leanne Sheth
The flock attend Ari's funeral, just after a new breed of Flyboy attacks the cabin they were thought to be living in. The flock are led by Dr Martinez, who is now called Mom by Max, and Jeb to Washington where they are offered a comfortable life and an education in return for aid from the flock to the government. Fang tries to kiss Max again. Max barely recognizes her subconscious love for Fang before she flies off the near by dock away from Fang. Max refuses the government offer and facility an ...more
luhvBOOKS
Title: The Final Warning

Author: James Patterson

Series: Maximum Ride #4

Rating:

Summary: First she was watched. In this breathtaking new story from the astonishing imagination of James Patterson, a girl has to save herself from an army assembled just to capture her - and maybe save the planet while she's at it. Then she was threatened.

Review: Wow, this book sucked. I am being an angel by giving this book two stars. It is just so... Ugh! What a stupid plot! Global warming, are your kidding me? And
Kate
Mar 08, 2010 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THIS ONE WAS SOOO ACTION PACKED! I JUST LOV THE FLOCKZ HUMOR I CANT RECALL ALL THE TIMES IVE READ THIS BOOK!
Robyn
Huh...

In my review of the previous book, I said that if the next book was as bad as that one, I would quit reading. This isn't as bad as the previous book, but it's not quite bad enough to make me give up, just yet. It was at least interesting to see this story get completely screwed up in an entirely different way than the last one.

There are some things that this book has improved upon, making it better than the last one; there aren't a dozen meaningless plot twists, Max's voice doesn't feel a
Sara
Oct 06, 2008 Sara rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Denae Christine
Becky
Mar 25, 2008 Becky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, actually I'd give it a 3 1/2, but there's no option here. I again enjoyed this book and the exciting twists, I really liked the other ones more. This one needs a little more wrapping up, that is if he's not planning on writing any more. The preaching of the "theory" of global warming was getting a bit repetitive. It didn't have the same feel as the rest of the book. It's like the author decided to shift gears, and jump onto the Gore bandwagon. I wonder how many free "$400.00" haircuts he w ...more
Bex
Aug 08, 2010 Bex rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
The Final Warning, by James Patterson, is the fourth book in the Maximum Ride series. As I recall, this series was supposed to be a trilogy, but after the last book, Maximum Ride: Saving the World and Other Extreme Sports, it was clear that Patterson could still add to the story line. While this book answers more of the lingering questions, there are still some that require more investigation, like "Who is the Voice?" and "Why are the kids mutating new powers?"

The book begins with The Flock und
Elizabeth
Jun 12, 2013 Elizabeth rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is bad. Very, very bad.

"Save the world, Max!" "Yeah whoo! You can do it!" "Save the world from... Global warming?"

Terrible, just terrible. I mean they buried Ari (which I didn't like that Ari turned good anyway. He was a lot cooler as a bad guy who wanted Max all to himself) and then they gathered information on penguins. And then they get kidnapped. And then gives a speech to congress???? What? And what happened to them wanting to take the School down?

The kidnapping was the only part tha
Ethan Broom
May 16, 2012 Ethan Broom rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
River Song
The fourth maximum ride book was " okay " See, what I think it was was that James Patterson tied in that whole global warming thing and I know it's important for our world but after reading the third book of the series my expectations were really high. It wasn't as funny or filled with action and I often got bored with it. I'd still read It if you've liked the rest of maximum ride because it gets better....
Berit
I think I would have liked this book better if they didn't throw global warming into it. It felt like they wanted to take the characters to somewhere different like aunt arctica, and they chose studying global warming to get them there. I never really understood why they were there, and I never really understood why they went to Congress and gave a speech, and I really never understood why the dog now has wings. It was all quite silly even the bad guys or silly. I don't remember the other books ...more
erinbobarin94
Justin
Jul 11, 2012 Justin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Final Warning takes such an odd turn from the rest of the series. I still found it to be enjoyable, but I feel like the massive changes that were made really slowed down the story and that disappointed me a little. It doesn't really change my overall picture of the series, but I really would have liked to see things continue at the pace they were going. The plot change just felt a little to out there.

After all the crazy battles and all of the stuff with Itex in the first book The Final Warn
Glen
Jan 29, 2011 Glen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Honestly i don't understand some writers, are they just writing other novels into a series because they want more money or they actually have a story to tell?. This is the fourth book in the maximum rider series and its probably the worst yet, I'm kinda of scared to read the rest because I really don't see where James Patterson is going with this series. The book is thin and it has some pages of action that keep me interested and of course the relationship between Max and Fang which is pretty mu ...more
Kim
Apr 15, 2012 Kim rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I remember when I read this in high school and the explanation I came up with as to how this terrible, terrible book was written, and it goes like this:

"Patterson began to get many letters from his dearest fans after the trilogy of Maximum Ride appeared to have ended, with a cliff hanger of course. They wanted more, and begged him to write it. "What a great idea!" Patterson exclaimed, and standing up in excitement. But he stood to quickly and lost his balance, hitting his head on his desk on the
Reena Jacobs
This book had enough of an ending that I feel comfortable ending the series here. Expect my review May 7, 2011 on my website: http://reenajacobs.com/blog/?p=4577

The first thing I noticed about this book was the flock faced off against super-villains who were super-dumb. I mean, not an ounce of intelligence floated around in the brains of the bad guys. It was really sad, to be honest. They were worse than Lash in Lover Mine (see review here). Most of my notes were about how the villains were too
Debbie
Jun 20, 2008 Debbie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen
While this book has some of the excitement of the first ones, it's lacking in a lot of the action and character development that made it easier to ignore Patterson's bad writing style in the other Maximum Ride books. The mysterious "Uber-Director" is also not clear as a villain. What was his motivation for going after the flock? How did he become part human, part machine? It's all too quickly and conveniently ended, in a non-satisfying way. Instead, this book is full of didactic sections about g ...more
YA Buddy Readers'...: The Final Warning (Maximum Ride #4) by James Patterson - Starting June 6th 2016 8 7 Jun 14, 2016 04:36PM
Class of 2015: The Final Warning 2 5 Feb 17, 2015 08:55PM
ASF 7th Grade Books: Maximum Ride #4 1 1 Dec 01, 2014 06:26PM
Live, Laugh & Lov...: The Final Warning 1 2 Jan 20, 2014 10:51AM
Maximum Ride Lovers : Final Warning 2 7 Jan 06, 2014 04:19AM
Addicted to YA: Final Warning 12 173 Dec 07, 2013 05:45AM
  • Mines of the Minotaur (The Companions Quartet, #3)
  • Twelfth Grade Kills (The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod, #5)
  • Samurai (Simon St George #2)
  • Voices in the Dark (The Last Descendants, #2)
  • Seizure (Virals, #2)
  • The Sorcerer King (Faerie Path, #3)
  • Ark Angel (Alex Rider, #6)
  • The Black Tattoo
  • Almost Final Curtain (Vampire Princess of St. Paul, #2)
  • Cross Your Heart, Connie Pickles
  • Darkfall (Healing Wars, #3)
  • Sent (The Missing, #2)
  • Long Shadows (Warriors: Power of Three, #5)
  • Origins (Sweep, #11)
  • Betrayal (Chasing Yesterday, #2)
  • Voice of the Undead (Alex Van Helsing #2)
  • Avenger (Boy Soldier, #3)
  • Blue Noon (Midnighters, #3)
Official US Site
Official UK Site
BookShots
JIMMY Patterson Books
Official Site for James Patterson's Middle School Series
ReadKiddoRead

James Patterson has created more enduring fictional characters than any other novelist writing today with his Alex Cross, Michael Bennett, Women’s Murder Club, Private, NYPD Red, Daniel X, Maximum Ride, and Middle School series. As of January 2016, he has sold over 350
More about James Patterson...

Maximum Ride (9 books)
  • The Angel Experiment (Maximum Ride, #1)
  • School's Out—Forever (Maximum Ride, #2)
  • Saving the World and Other Extreme Sports (Maximum Ride, #3)
  • Max (Maximum Ride, #5)
  • Fang (Maximum Ride, #6)
  • Angel (Maximum Ride, #7)
  • Nevermore (Maximum Ride, #8)
  • Maximum Ride Forever (Maximum Ride, #9)

“What happened to your tan?"--Fang
"It was dirt." --Max”