Start by marking “Obstacles Welcome: How to Turn Adversity Into Advantage in Business and in Life” as Want to Read:
Obstacles Welcome: How to Turn Adversity Into Advantage in Business and in Life

Obstacles Welcome: How to Turn Adversity Into Advantage in Business and in Life

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  39 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Ralph de la Vega, President and CEO of AT&T Mobility and Consumer Markets, shares the lessons learned in business and in life along the journey from Cuba to Corporate America.

Ralph de la Vega arrived in the United States from Cuba in 1962. He was alone. He was scared. He was 10. Separated from his parents by Cuban authorities just moments before they were to board a pl
Published November 1st 2009 by Thomas Nelson (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Obstacles Welcome, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Obstacles Welcome

Lane Holland
Nov 28, 2012 Lane Holland rated it liked it
1. Obstacles Welcome by Ralph de la Vega is an autobiography about how he went from a 10 year old cuban immigrant who spoke no english to the president and CEO of AT&T Mobility. In this book he goes very in depth about what he did to get to where he is today in life, he uses guidelines and tips for people on the road to success. He also talks about how the american dream is still possible with entrepanuership and determiniation. From sneaking onto a plane in Cuba, to becoming the president a ...more
R.L. Syme
Jan 19, 2010 R.L. Syme rated it it was ok
This was a very interesting book. My expectations were high, hoping for a solid theoretical and practical leadership book about the importance of working through adversity.

It ended up being a marginally well-written memoir about a man who had to overcome a lot of adversity in his personal life in order to become CEO of one of the largest corporations in the country. With leadership lessons sprinkled in.

If you're looking for a solid leadership book, I would probably turn elsewhere. But if you w
Keiki Hendrix
Apr 09, 2010 Keiki Hendrix rated it really liked it
Having worked in the Telecom industry for the last twenty years, I was very familiar with many of the events discussed in this book and anxious to read how a Christian would write about such times. I was not disappointed.

I related easily to the trying times De la Vega mentioned and pleasantly surprised to remember the difficult merger reconciliations, hard years, and ever changing focus as Telecom companies fought to survive.

What most impressed me about this book was the leadership instruction t
Kathleen Kelly
Jan 23, 2010 Kathleen Kelly rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished
Obstacles Welcome by Ralph de la Vega is an inspiring and motivational book about how a young refugee came to the United States alone from Cuba. He came to Miami and was taken in by a young married couple, Arnaldo and Ada Baez. Ralph did not see his parents until he had been in Miami for 4 years. He decided as a young boy that being negative was not going to be an option for him. He learned at a young age how to overcome adversity and be successful in his life.

The message in this story is how w
Greg Cohoon
Mar 06, 2011 Greg Cohoon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Greg by: Ralph De La Vega
Shelves: kindle
Full disclosure: the author of this book is an executive manager in the company that employees me. We've been taking "leadership workshops" at work and they mentioned this book as part of the workshop. I decided to check it out.

Summary: Obviously, as a business book, there's no plot. Well, not quite. There is a bit of plot in that de la Vega chronicles his career throughout the book. Keeping up with his different positions, projects, and goals provides a nice framework for him to impart the busi
Sharra Badgley
Jun 10, 2011 Sharra Badgley rated it really liked it
"I believe the American dream is still alive and that education and entrepreneurship together are its key enablers. Through the years I have observed the power of this combination when the two forces work in tandem. Together they lead to personal success, business success, and societal success." - Ralph de la Vega

Obstacles Welcome, by Ralph de la Vega, CEO of AT&T Mobility and Consumer Markets, is an insightful book that contains valuable advice on handling adversity. The book contains inte
Alisa
Nov 22, 2009 Alisa rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book. I was very impressed with how the author had come from such an interesting background, but had not let his “obstacles” stop him on the pathway to success.
While reading this book, I automatically thought about my boss ironically, and any of the leaders in my life and what it takes to be a great leader. I especially enjoyed the chapter of on spotting opportunities. I feel like each of us can spot obstacles and turn them into opportunities with a little hard work and new attit
Tina
Apr 15, 2010 Tina rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: high school students, business people
Shelves: non-fiction
Obstacles Welcome: Turn Adversity into Advantage in Business and Life is about Ralph de la Vega's rise from a young Cuban immigrant who overcame adversity and eventually became the President and CEO of AT&T Mobility. De la Vega shares motivational goals to help you meet your dreams in life, but especially in your career.

I think this is a book that would be helpful for companies to hand to employees who want to move up in responsibility or for high school students to encourage them to stay in
Steven
Oct 02, 2011 Steven rated it it was amazing
I cannot recommend this book enough. To understand the awesome journey that Mr. de la Vega has taken in his life is one of the most inspirational and amazing stories you can know. I am thankful to have met Mr. de la Vega and to have his leadership guiding the Mobility portion of the company we work for. However, this is not why I recommend this book. The story and the path to leadership that is outlined in this book is something everyone should read and will be inspired by.
David Lecko
Oct 15, 2012 David Lecko rated it liked it
Great book. Prepare to experience high levels of motivation. The method de la Vega used to establish a shared vision and goals at Cingular Wireless worked well when used at our fraternity chapter. The content translates well to industries outside telecom.
Eris
Eris marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2016
Fher Mirasol Quecholac
Fher Mirasol Quecholac marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2016
Tracy Major
Tracy Major is currently reading it
Aug 08, 2016
Joe
Joe marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2016
Rachel Chadwell
Rachel Chadwell marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Jajah Farhan
Jajah Farhan marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
Frank Acquaah
Frank Acquaah marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Tomas
Tomas marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Joe
Joe added it
Jun 01, 2016
Lindsey
Lindsey rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2016
Rob Fritts
Rob Fritts marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Trey
Trey rated it it was amazing
Feb 28, 2016
Rebecca Kendall Phillips
Rebecca Kendall Phillips is currently reading it
Feb 24, 2016
Keisha Thomas
Keisha Thomas marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2016
Deepak
Deepak marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2016
Andre
Andre marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Anuj
Anuj marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Josh Jones
Josh Jones marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2016