Start by marking “The Way We Were” as Want to Read:
The Way We Were

The Way We Were

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  289 ratings  ·  21 reviews
It was in the middle of a snowstorm when Tiggy arrived at the remote house on Bodmin Moore. She was alone, her partner tragically dead in an accident. Julia, her dearest friend, welcomed her into her warm and chaotic family. At last, Tiggy started to live again, and to welcome the birth of the child she bore. It wasn't until nearly thirty years later, when her own son is a ...more
Hardcover, Large Print, 366 pages
Published May 1st 2009 by Center Point (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Way We Were, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Way We Were

Carrie
Sep 26, 2009 Carrie marked it as unfinished  ·  review of another edition
Well, I made the classic mistake of reading a review that spoiled the ending, without being marked as a "spoiler." Sigh...

This looked like a good book, for others who want to try it. For me, I'm relegating it to my "unfinished" folder. And onwards to the next book!
Sue
Tiggy is given a bronze model of Merlin by her beloved grandmother, just before she goes to stay with her close friend Julia. There's evidently some unpleasant history related to Tiggy's father, which gradually becomes clear througout the book.

The story begins in 1976, then leaps forward to 2004 for a while. It's cleverly done, the plot unfolding with the different chronological perspectives, allowing a tragedy to happen in the earlier time frame, which we already know about with hindsight.

I f
Chris
Willett has been compared to Pilcher and Binchy but her stories, if this title is representative of her work, are not as compelling. The Way We Were jumps back and forth between 1976 and 2004. In 1976, Julia takes in her pregnant friend Tiggy, who dies in childbirth. Julia already has 3 kids and suffers a miscarriage at the same time but decides to raise Zack as her own. In 2005, Julia's kids are adults: Liv is helping an old boyfriend start a B&B with his wife, Zack is expecting his first c ...more
Mary
Feb 13, 2015 Mary rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes contemporary fiction
Recommended to Mary by: Library Book Sale
It was during a snowstorm in February, 1976 when Tegan - known as Tiggy to her friends - arrived at the remote house on Bodmin Moor. She had lost her partner in a tragic accident and was now alone - and pregnant. Julia, her dearest friend, welcomed her into her warm and chaotic family, and Tiggy slowly started to live again. She awaited the birth of her child, temporarily secure in the supportive love which surrounded her.

But Tiggy's happiness was destined to be short-lived. Now, nearly thirty
Mari
Not a bad book, but the dialogue was what got me. It wasn't so much dialogue as back-and-forth monologues. Bizarre, and I can't imagine ANYONE speaking that way (although thinking that way, definitely).

There's also the non-linear storyline, in that it jumps back and forth through time. I hated it at first, but as the story kept going I liked it, and Willett is clear by labeling the sections by year. So it's pretty easy to know exactly where you are in time.

I didn't like the over-abundance of c
Sheri
I was thrilled to see that this author had a new book out but was kind of disappointed that the magic in some of her previous novels was missing in this book.
Good story, but the back and forth between two time periods was so often that it was mind-booggling and sure kept me on my toes.
Friends and family are what this author's stories are all about and they do leave one with a good feeling after having read the last page.
Two girlhood friends, one of them pregnant and unmarried, tho other marr
Susan
I admit it -- I choose books by their covers, something I have in common with my mother-in-law! When I saw this one in the library here near Chicago I grabbed it and checked it out. Imagine my surprise when I realized it was set in the part of England where my mother-in-law lives! I enjoyed it initially for this reason as I'm familiar with many of the places in the book. But I enjoyed it more for the story of the lives and relationships it describes. It is the story of friendship, of marriages w ...more
Vionna
Poignantly written. She interwines the happenings of the 1970s with those of the first decade of the twenty first century and covers the lives of two - almost three generations of a family. Their lives on the Devon moors are described with warmth and colour and ventures into Truro, Rock and Padstow are full of life. You will really becomes engrossed in the storey of the Bodrugan family. The characters are so well defined by Willett - from Tiggy, Julia's childhood friend, to Aunt Em.
Christi
This was a nice story, well-told, without too much melodrama or forced sweetness.

I don't usually like stories that bounce back and forth between time periods. This author did a good job of relating what happened in 1976 with Tiggy and Julia to things that are now happening with Julia's children in 2004. The parallels work well here.

I will look for more of this author's work over the summer.
Kathryn
This is another of Marcia Willett's books that I enjoyed reading. It switches back and forth between 1976-77 and 2004 in a way that expands a current 2004 story with what happened in the past that influenced the future. Often it is done as our own memories do - not in sequential order, but as something brings back a meory of something from the past. It had a satisfying ending.

WD
Linda
I loved this book. It's about two friends Tiggy and Julia as young women they spent nine months together. Tiggy had just lost the man she loved and planned to marry and Julia a young mother of three was going to be alone while her husband was at sea. The story jumps from that year l976 to 2004 and so much has happened. This is a story of true friendship.
Carla
a nice British cosy-she rarely disapoints. a good substitute for rosamund Pilcher fans, if not quite as good a writer. Nicely descriptive of the English countryside, very good with intertwined relationships. A quibble-she writes whilst for while and amongst for among and it leaps off the page & interferes withe the flow.
Yet another AGA saga, so nothing really to discuss: the usual "things from the past coming back to haunt us", misunderstandings about love and friendship, etc. This didn't actually have an AGA, but still it very much fits the genre's mold.

And, of course, it's a great reading-palate cleanser.
Linda
a so so story but i hated the format, the story went back and forth betwen 1976 and 2004 which I like when books do that but everytime it went to one of the years, the narrative was only for 2-3 pages so it was short and then back to the other year. Got kind of old.
Martha
This book was not quite as compelling and satisfying as The Courtyard . . . but I still liked it a lot. Such gorgeous descriptions of nature!
Eleanor
I like all her books! This one weaves a story between 1976 and 2004. Perhaps not as dynamic as her previous works, but I still loved it!
Linda Georges
It is only my second Willett. I really liked it a lot. Looking forward to others as people think she has done better ones.
Pat
I have enjoyed every one of Marcia Willett's books. These are womens books and the characters are well developed.
Emilee Romano
I thought this was that Barbara Streisand movie.
Gonna finish
Debbie
Quick, easy light read. Enjoyable, but not a literary masterpiece.
Margaret
Great read, did not want it to end.
Christine Clydesdale
Christine Clydesdale marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Hadeelfouad
Hadeelfouad marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Kelli
Kelli marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Sharon Huether
Sharon Huether marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2015
Amy Wotton
Amy Wotton marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2015
Cheech&Chong
Cheech&Chong marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Ck
Ck marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Anne Ford
Anne Ford marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
  • The White Widow
  • Evidence Of Blood
  • Everything Must Go (STP - Mira)
  • Treasures
  • Gallows Lane (Inspector Devlin, #2)
  • The Ice House
  • In the Night Season: A Novel
  • Random Hearts
  • Lost Souls
  • A Room For The Dead
  • The Devil's Hunt (Hugh Corbett, #10)
  • The Art of Seeing
  • My Beloved Son
  • Nell
Marcia Willett began her career as a novelist when she was fifty years old. Since that first novel Marcia has written twenty more under her own name as well as a number of short stories. She has also written four books under the pseudonym "Willa Marsh", and is published in more than sixteen countries.

Marcia Willett's early life was devoted to the ballet, but her dreams of becoming a ballerina end
More about Marcia Willett...
A Week in Winter A Summer in the Country The Children's Hour The Summer House The Birdcage: A Novel