Start by marking “Slow Burn (Buchanan, #5)” as Want to Read:
Slow Burn (Buchanan, #5)

Slow Burn (Buchanan-Renard #5)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  9,663 ratings  ·  236 reviews
Every fire begins with a little heat–and in Slow Burn, bestselling author Julie Garwood provides the spark, skillfully blending pulse-pounding action, intense emotion, and characters with grit and heart. The result is an electrifying novel of romantic suspense that will have readers burning through the pages.

An unpretentious beauty who radiates kindness, Kate MacKenna does
Published August 30th 2005 by Ballantine Books (first published August 29th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Slow Burn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Slow Burn

Laura V.
2015 Reading Challenge: #09 Libro escrito por una mujer

Creo que cualquiera que me lea sabe lo mucho que me gustan las historias de dos personas que se conocen de toda la vida y se enamoran. Este es el clásico enamorada del hermano de mi mejor amiga o más tierno aún enamorado de la mejor amiga de mi hermana.
Es una lectura breve, sin muchos sobresaltos, el más flojo de la serie arriesgaría, pero hizo pasar un buen rato y me sacó de la amargura del último. Acá no hay un desarrollo bueno del romance
Angela
Decided to give Julie Garwood a go since she'd been recommended to me, but apparently I picked the wrong book or something, because Slow Burn mostly just came across to me as Slow Bore. The blurb was promising, telling me all about how Kate MacKenna was being hounded by things blowing up everywhere she goes, and how said explosions were going to throw her across the path of two different men. And certainly we started off well, with things going splody around Kate as promised.

Except that after tw
Lilian
This was the last book in Buchanan-McKenna-Whatever series in my TBR list. I'm just addicted to Julie Garwood's books - both contemporary and historical and I was longing to read this one - need to say that I read this series totally out of order.

Well, maybe my expectations were too high. Truth is, I like this book, but is not the best one in the series for me. My fav so far is Killjoy and oh, how I miss John Paul. The plot of Slow Burn is kinda weird.

I didn't feel much chemistry between the ma
Xiki71
Me han faltado escenas de amor y de cama. Entiendo que se trata de un libro de suspense pero para mi gusto le falta un poco de parte romántica. Por lo demás un libro bastante bueno.
LailaBC
I am so glad this one end up to my liking. Dylan Buchanan a Boston based cop who was on a mend from being shot in the line of duty was sent by his sister Jordan to her best friend Kate MacKenna, insisting that she look into the dangerous situations that Kate seems to be in. Kate has been having a real bad week after being almost blown up twice and then run down by a car. Although thanks to wonderbra she escaped death the first time that was morbidly hilarious.
Daylan and Kate have a long history
Willow
I wanted to like this one. I did. I liked Dylan, I thought he was an interesting Buchanan brother (Didn't dethrone my favorite, Theo, for those keeping score) and yes, I fell for that lazy sort of devil-may-care attitude he had, and that he had a long-standing flirtatious back and forth with the female lead, Kate MacKenna, who happens to be his sister Jordan's best friend. Combining those elements of getting to see Jordan, of another Buchanan brother, and a Southern setting, I was hoping for ano ...more
RomReader
Business-savvy eldest of 3 sisters gets unexpected $80-million inheritance from their unknown uncle. She thinks its tied to 2 bomb explosions she was involved in & amazingly survived without serious injury. Due to the major stressors in her life recently & long-time attraction to her BFF's playboy detective brother Hero, she has a 1-night stand with her Hero. She didn't expect any commitments from him but their night together meant a lot to Hero. So, he takes it upon himself to protect h ...more
Lynda
Ambitious entrepreneur Kate Mackenna’s life was mundane, a dutiful daughter who remained close to her mother until her death. Ready to take on new challenges, Kate was planning to move and expand her business when the unthinkable happened; an explosion almost ended her life. One explosion may be an accident but two explosions and attempted hit-and-run can only be one thing, someone wanted her dead…why? Fearing Kate was in danger, childhood friend Jordan sent her police detective brother Dylan Bu ...more
Shantana Powell
more like 3.5, liked it, could have loved it but it was a bit predictable in some sense.
Jenn C
While I hate to rate any of Julie's books as less than four, I'm afraid Slow Burn slid into predicability.

Don't get me wrong - I loved the characters and the story. It was classic Garwood and the reason I became a fan of her writing in the beginning. But after 6 outings, this one seemed...flat almost. Predicable. Repititive.

Yes, I realize this is a romance and there is a certain formula with deviations for character, plot, setting, and so on. But I love Julie's books for the way her characters
Natalie
Like most of JG's books, I enjoyed this novel. However, the most I could rate it was a three. And truly, it was for one single reason. This might be a tiny spoiler, so for anyone reading, don't continue on. And I apologize. I started out wanting to write a short review, but my opinions took over. Lol.

Okay, in general terms, I liked all the characters. I didn't have a problem with that. The heroine was interesting at first, but as the novel went on, I found myself trying to put myself in her posi
Rene Natan
A bra can make wonders for a woman’s figure, but the reinforced Wonderbra Kate MacKenna wears is instrumental in saving her life. Speak of wonders!

It all starts when Kate becomes the nominated heiress of her grandfather’s fortune. It’s at this point that several people would like to see her dead. Fortunately her best friend’s brother, a one Dylan Buchanan comes to her rescue and uses his experience as an investigative policeman to protect her from recurring attempts to her life. Sparkles ignite
İlkim
Yazarın Buchanan serisindeki diğer kitapları gibiydi, olaylar akıp gidiyor ve bu arada bir aşk doğuyor her zamanki gibi. Sonundaki şaşırtma faktörünü güzel kurgulamış yazar, onun dışında normal bir kitap.
Bookcrazy
Der Krimi-Plot war ganz nett, wenn auch etwas vorhersehbar. Reicher Verwandter vererbt den Großteil seines Vermögens an Kate und ihre Schwestern. Kate passieren schon vor der Testamentseröffnung merkwürdige Dinge. Anschläge werden auf sie verübt. Dylan wird von ihrer besten Freundin geschickt, damit er sie vor den feigen Mordanschlägen beschützt.

Die Liebesgeschichte zwischen Kate und Dylan beginnt gut, wirkt aber in der gefühlsmäßigen Ebene etwas mangelhaft ausgearbeitet. Die beiden reden kaum
Laura (Kyahgirl)
3/5; 3 stars; B-

This was a pleasant addition to the Buchanan series. Nothing too surprising but good company in the form of an audiobook while doing boring housework.
Wendy
Mar 25, 2009 Wendy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Suspense/Romance lovers
Another wonderful Romance/Suspense. Date and Dylan are great characters that will have you wanting to move south. Again the Buchanan men! You will not want to put this down.
Danielle
Slow burn is the story of another Buchanan, the sons of Judge Buchanan who are equally gorgeous,stubborn and funny. Like his brothers, Dylan is witty and charming. On the commands of his sister, Jordan (and in case anyone is interested, is my favorite character in the whole series)sees to the safety of Kate, Jordan's best friend, who is nearly run over and blown up - twice.

This isn't my favorite novel of Garwood's but it's still pretty good. The pacing is fast at the beginning and towards the en
Rita Carvalho
Pattianne
Slow Burn - Buchanan-Renard 35 - BOSTON - (Kata and Dylan Buchanan) - Kate's business is failing however, Jorden needs Kate in Boston.

An unpretentious beauty who radiates kindness, Kate MacK
Jencey/
Have you ever felt frustrated! Life not going your way? Have I got a story for you! In Slow Burn the fifth novel in the Buchanan series we Kate MacKenna and her sisters.
Synopsis:
It all started with the wonder bra! Kate was on her way to an exhibit when an explosion occurs. She wakes to find paramedics and policemen looking her over. Kate brushes off the explosion as nothing more than bad luck. She starts to put it behind her when asked to come to Boston by her friend Jordan Buchanan. Kate meets
Linda
I'd go up towards 3.5, this is the latest in the Buchanan series, it's very different from the previous book, "Murder List". In that one, the hero and heroine take 3/4ths of the book to light the spark of passion. This book, despite the title has the hero, Dylan and heroine, Kate jumping into bed in the first couple chapters. They keep swearing it's over after each bedding but we know better.

Kate and her sisters lost their father at a young age, however their mother worked hard to raise determin
Hyderali Shaikh
One of the finest who-done-it thriller I've ever read from Julie Garwood.

I don't know why but when I bought this book I never thought I'll read it from start till end. The cover of the book may give you inclination that it is another erotic book with little story & boring plot. I already thought in my mind that this book gonna be end inside my shelf. I was wrong. When I started reading first few pages from there on I was unstoppable.

An absolutely worthy read. The writing is also good. The l
Ursula
Living a successful life in Charleston, South Carolina, Kate MacKenna has always been able to turn her challenges into triumphs. But now the fates seem to be lining up against her in a lethal fashion.

While attending a reception at a friend's estate for a controversial artist, Kate is nearly killed by an explosion. Once home, Kate is hit with the news that the prosperous fragrance company she has nurtured from the ground up is in jeopardy: It turns out that her late mother used the business as co
Ella
I love LOVE LOVE Julie Garwoods books. You get such a 90's bad ass rug'd sexy cop feel from the males. And each charachers is so different and the same and different.
I'm a sucker for happy ending stories. These books might be found is clichies to people because they all have the same story setting out:

girl and boy meet
they fall for each other
struggle to see it and accept it
Flirting the house down and other things
Action ending where guy saves girl with the help of the girl
Guy confesses love for
Coral
Book 5 Kate gets babysat by Dylan after inheriting $80m and two bomb explosions. Best friend's brother more distracting than killer.
Extract:
"So if I were to come on to you, or hit on you, or flirt, or whatever it is you think I do…"
"It wouldn't bother me at all. I'm immune now, Dylan."
Ah, man, was he going to have some fun with her. "Good to know," he drawled.
Desperate to change the subject, she picked up her makeup bag and her pajamas and robe. "I'd like to take a shower and go to bed."
"No prob
Trudy
This book follows Kate MacKenna and Dylan Buchanan. Kate is having an attack of the wrong place, wrong times, and while she originally thinks it is just coincidence that she was almost blown up twice, it soon becomes clear that somthing else is going on. Dylan Buchanan, Boston PD officer and Kate's best friend's brother, comes to her aide. He sticks with her as she finds out she is about to lose her company due to a loan her mother took out when she was dying and when she is notified that she is ...more
Veronica
i love this book all the Buchanan series are good.... i read this book long time ago in istil remember all the books of Julie Garwood one of my favorite authors.... you have to read all the rest of her books its fun and exiting... i read her new one the Fast Track.... im stil waiting for her new book to come out hoping soon....So everybody i recomend all Julie Garwood books. your going to have fun reading it i know for sure i am........
Peggy
Awesome from start to finish

Man oh man this was great i,got so hooked on it and could not put it down this Sears is top notch.
I say read the first book in this Sears then you will be reading the rest.
This is num 5 and I'm betting the rest are just as good a lil romance and lil suspense a little laughter and you got one great book.
If you have never read Julie Garwood give her A shot I think you will be hooked like me.
Let's Talk About ...: Slow Burn (Buchanan-Renard #5) 1 9 Apr 08, 2013 03:18PM
  • Drop Dead Gorgeous (Blair Mallory, #2)
  • Jade Island (Donovan, #2)
  • Scent of Danger
  • Every Breath You Take  (Second Opportunities #4)
  • Breaking Point (Troubleshooters, #9)
  • The Maze (FBI Thriller, #2)
With more than 35 million books in print and 26 NEW YORK TIMES bestsellers, Julie Garwood has earned a position among America's favorite fiction writers.

Born and raised in Kansas City, MO, Ms. Garwood attributes much of her success to growing up in a large family of Irish heritage. "The Irish are great storytellers who relish getting all of the details and nuances of every situation. Add in the fa
More about Julie Garwood...

Buchanan-Renard (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Heartbreaker (Buchanan-Renard, #1)
  • Mercy (Buchanan-Renard, #2)
  • Killjoy (Buchanan-Renard, #3)
  • Murder List (Buchanan-Renard #4)
  • Shadow Dance (Buchanan-Renard, #6)
  • Fire and Ice (Buchanan-Renard, #7)
  • Sizzle (Buchanan-Renard, #8)
  • The Ideal Man (Buchanan-Renard, #9)
  • Sweet Talk (Buchanan-Renard, #10)
  • Hotshot (Buchanan-Renard, #11)
The Bride (Lairds' Fiancées, #1) The Secret (Highlands' Lairds #1) Ransom (Highlands' Lairds, #2) Honor's Splendour The Prize