Start by marking “Wave” as Want to Read:
Wave

Wave

3.26  ·  Rating Details  ·  714 Ratings  ·  79 Reviews
The "New York Times" bestselling author of "Blue Light" returns to the realm of science fiction. Errol is awakened by a strange prank caller claiming to be his father, who has been dead for several years. Curious, and not a little unnerved, Errol sneaks into the graveyard where his father is buried. What he finds will change his life forever.
Published July 31st 2007 by Grand Central Publishing (first published December 27th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Wave, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wave

Scott Radtke
May 11, 2008 Scott Radtke rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
I hadn't picked up a Walter Mosley book in about a decade, having read trough a few early Easy Rawlin's mysteries (Devil in a Blue Dress, White Butterfly etc...) but moved on. When I found this in a bookstore I couldn't resist seeing how Mr. Mosley would tackle science fiction.

Early on I had a problem digesting his prose style. I thought it was strange and forced, as if he was fighting off his hard boiled schtick, but Mosley's prose is nothing if not propulsive and after a while you let it pull
Timothy McNeil
Maybe there is a rule to it, that when a male author reaches a certain age he no longer feels any compunction about hiding his sexual fantasies loosely tied to his stories. Or maybe it has to do with how established the author is. Or maybe it is just a sign of the times. Mosley thrusts erections and climaxes into a thinly written story for no plot-driven reason and without an ounce of character development.

There may be something here, but Mosley loses most of his credibility by having a narrator
Paul
Aug 07, 2007 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For the past few nights, Errol Porter has been harassed by strange crank phone calls. One night, the caller says that he is Errol’s father. In the middle of the night, Errol breaks into the cemetery where his father was buried several years previously. There he finds GT, who looks, talks and acts like a younger, healthier version of his father. Errol takes him home for a shower and a change of clothes, if nothing else (Errol’s girlfriend, Nella, thinks that is a bad idea).

Along the way, GT tells
Kae Cheatham
If you think Walter Mosley only writes mysteries and period pieces, think again. His 2006 title, The Wave, is billed as SF, but I found it closer to absurdist literature, both in theme and style. In this contemporary story, Errol Porter is awakened by phone calls, and the caller sounds like his deceased father. Amazed concern leads him to find this person, and then Errol is involved in mysterious circumstances that alienate him from his real world. As with absurdist pieces I've recently read ( F ...more
April Hochstrasser
Errol Porter gets phone call from someone who sounds like his long dead father. This sets off a bizarre and deadly chain of events that is a little hard to swallow. I know it's Sci-Fi, but usually I can conceive of the concept being purported. I couldn't quite see it in this book because how could the little entities have "seen" the dinosaurs and the cavemen, and the whole development of the earth when they were in the earth, emerging towards the top of the earth, but still, traveling in the ro ...more
ILIAN RAMIREZ
Jan 29, 2016 ILIAN RAMIREZ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the book The Wave by Walter Mosley the crank caller that haunts Errol Porter(Main Character) nightly sounds a lot like his deceased father who died a long time ago when he was small. Enough so that one day Errol goes to the cemetery one night in response to the to the one called the "Caller". He finds a man that does indeed resemble his father, except this man is much younger. All of the stories the caller has told Errol Porter has matched to the ones of his Father, but how can Errol’s father ...more
Khaalidah Muhammad-Ali
I haven't read WM for at least 15 years and I liked his Easy Rawlins mysteries quite a lot. My tastes have evolved since then, admittedly, but when I saw he'd written a sci-fi novel my interest was piqued.
If his other sci-fi is like this, he should probably stick to the detective mysteries.
This story is a new take on the zombie trope,with the odd addition of sentient alien virus type thing? So yeah, the science was weak, but the science in most zombie alien tales are weak, so I was willing to
Ero
Feb 09, 2009 Ero rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: from-liberry
Very wierd book, cautiously skirting/careening wildly around the edges of a lot of sci-fi cliches and getting at something a little uncomfortable and possibly profound, and definitely unusual, while doing so.
Mariana
Aug 20, 2009 Mariana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A phone call from someone who sounds like a long dead father sets off a bizarre and deadly chain of events. This is the second time I read this book on my romp through Walter Mosley's books.
Stewart
The Wave is capital "W" Weird. Like all of Walter Mosley's forays into science fiction, there exists some sort of alien intelligence that's far beyond our piddly human consciousness and is subsequently feared and reviled by those in authority.

Underachieving protagonist Errol is getting phone calls from his long-dead father in the middle of the night. What eventually comes from this doesn't necessarily defy description, but does take quite a bit of explaining.

I've yet to complete a must-read Mosl
Lori
Dec 27, 2014 Lori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was really surprised as I read this book. Once I began reading it, I couldn't put it down. I was a bit disappointed in the ending. The beginning of the story captured my attention and I wanted to know more about Llad and his life. I was disappointed that we really didn't get to find out more about Llad's capabilities and how he chooses to deal with his new found advanced skills. I felt the ending was a rushed and Llad's feelings of what was taking place were not disclosed. This is a book that ...more
Paul Barton
This was written only a year after the Twilight Zone-ish 'The Man in My Basement' and there are echoes. The first person narrator is a down-on-his-luck black man with no job, a fondness for the hard stuff and a seemingly endless supply of ladies.

There the similarities end. This is one of Mosley's forays into science fiction and it's vaguely 1950s. It all begins easily enough with the introduction of Errol and his small life but soon Errol begins to receive eerie phone calls purporting to come fr
J.M.
PODS?!

No. But this was a serendipitous follow-up to choose for Invasion of the Body Snatchers. I didn't even read the blurb on the back, yet chose something that feels like a companion piece. Invasion featured duplicates of living people being controlled by an alien intelligence; this involved simulacra of dead people, like sentient zombies. Hive minds, people-as-puppets, plenty of territory in common. I enjoyed this work more, however, for its incredible scope and ambition, and its cosmic digre
Amy
Interesting. I've never ready anything by Walter Mosley, but I think I'd pick something of his up again if given the chance. It's definitely one of those books whose concepts will stay with me for a while. The main story develops after the main character starts getting phone calls from the graveyard from his 9-years-dead father. After several nights of this, he finally goes to "rescue" whoever this guy is that is claiming to be his father from the cemetery. This is not a book about zombies or gh ...more
Kevin Anderson
I admit it, I kind of thought this was going to be about something else, but my disappointment quickly turned into delighted surprise. This is an unusual tale of corpses rising from the grave. No zombies, no ghosts, just a good old fashion sci-fi style mystery. Its a little bit Invasion of The Body Snatchers and a little bit The Day the Earth Stood Still, and it mixed well. I did think the bad guys were a little over the top, but other than that, this was an enjoyable read.
Sharon Royle
I'm not quite sure how I ended up with a Sci-fi book about zombies. Really, I saw the author's name and affectionately remembered past books by him and I had recently read another book called Wave which was fascinating.

This book fit neither of these categories! Thank goodness it had an interesting beginning and I stuck with it to the end although the explanations of how these creatures lived among us was lost on me. Hopefully, someeone else will find it to be wonderful.
Lynetta
Mar 12, 2011 Lynetta rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
Strolling through the library with the grandgirls I saw this Playaway by Walter Mosley. I have read some of his mysteries and thought it would be fun. Instead this is much more science fiction, which is fine. Errol Porter wakes up in the middle of the night to answer a phone call. A voice tells Errol he's cold, he is Errol's father, and that he is in a cemetary. My husband would not have rescued him from the cemetary, thus ending the book. Errol,of course, does, and problems ensue. G.T. has a lo ...more
David Isgur
Jul 10, 2014 David Isgur rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Walter Mosley is amazing. He can weave a science fiction tale that has your mind spinning just as adroitly as he can with a work of mystery. This book touches on so many issues -- what truly constitutes family and why we fear what we don't understand. I look forward to everything he writes and I am never disappointed!
Katie
Apr 05, 2013 Katie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
You think you are reading about a simple man and his simple, perhaps downtrodden life. And you are. And then it creeps up on you...you are reading about good vs. evil, the origins and future of humanity, universal synergy & empathy, and other mind-blowing (yet never overwhelming) plot driving themes. Appealing characters, characters you love to hate, and characters you don't quite get - but in a good way - populate this strange multiverse woven into some odd and quiet spaces of every day lif ...more
Monica
Apr 20, 2016 Monica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first foray into Mosley's science fiction work and I'm still digesting it. I think, all in all, it's a win.

Beyond surface details, this book is a meditation on the relationship between a man's present self and his father's past. It's an upside down and backwards take on reconciling ever faster approaching death and the potential promise of immortality once that threshold is crossed.

As for the writing, Mosley is a master. The prose reads like waves swelling and crashing against the s
Cybercrone
Jul 26, 2016 Cybercrone rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this book and its premise that humans (especially those with power to protect) are pretty much terrified of anything that they don't and can't control, even if it would be a good thing for the whole human race, and determined to destroy it.
Becky Churchman
Mar 27, 2016 Becky Churchman rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Interesting idea, but apparently Mr. Mosley never heard the saying "Show. Don't tell." Descriptions were horrible. I'm still not sure what the climax of the story was because everything just got kind of mushed up at the end. Like the author wanted to make sure he finished in 200 pages. This is unfortunate because there are some really cool ideas here, but the author just doesn't expand on them.
Alex
Jul 07, 2016 Alex rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Peculiar story of a life force buried deep within the earth, borne on a meteorite smashed into our world a billion years ago, now emerging and reanimating the dead. I wanted to appreciate the enormity that should have been apparent in all of this, but it never quite clicked with me.
Marian
Jan 22, 2016 Marian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This short book started out good with the major character's father turning up after being dead for a number of years. The explanation was too much for me even though I like a good Syfy novel. As the book went on and Errol become the victim of homeland security, it was too fantastical for me.
Michael Bell
Jun 30, 2015 Michael Bell rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I think that I am done reading Walter Moseley novels. I have read so many that his style doesn't captivate me anymore. This attempt at science fiction was way off the mark. Time to go back to spy novels.
Phillis
May 11, 2012 Phillis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just finished listening to an audio book of "The Wave". I sew while I'm listening and I couldn't get anything done because this story had all my attention. I'm a BIG Walter Mosley fan and have read all the Easy Rawlins series but just discovered this side of Mosley's writings. I'm going to listen to it again (only 5 disk). Loved it and I thought I was never much for science fiction. This is one of those stories where you really care about even the least characters and what's going to happen to t ...more
Trice McCallister
One of unusuals I've ever read by Mosley. However it was interestingly connecting in a way
Dawn
I was really enjoying this book until about midway then it kind of fell off.
Good try Mr. Mosley I hope you ry again.
Ryun
Jul 31, 2010 Ryun rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Better known for his Easy Rawlins series of detective books (such as DEVIL IN A BLUE DRESS), Walter Mosley returns to science fiction with THE WAVE, his best book yet in the genre. At just over 200 pages, THE WAVE follows the food pyramid style of writing: lots of sustenance and almost no fat. Unfortunately, this also makes it really hard to describe the plot without giving anything away.

Errol Porter, recently jobless, wifeless and hopeless, can’t get his dad to stop calling him. The trouble is,
Emily
This was okay. The book is about Errol, a man whose father died recently. Errol has been getting phone calls in the middle of the night recently, from a mysterious voice that sounds like his father. He's not sure what to think, but decides to go to the cemetery and check it out.

He meets a strange young man who looks a lot like his father, but is apparently homeless. Errol is not sure what to make of this guy, but feels bad for him and takes him home.

Then a bunch of weird aliens and government c
  • When the Thrill Is Gone
  • Angels & Warriors: The Awakening
  • Mojo: Conjure Stories
  • Snare
  • Isaac Asimov's Science Fiction Treasury
  • Earth Logic (Elemental Logic, #2)
  • Barefoot in the Dark
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Twenty-First Annual Collection
  • The Voices Of Time
  • The New Nobility: The Restoration of Russia's Security State and the Enduring Legacy of the KGB
  • Demon Lover (Caitlin Ross #6)
  • In Darkness, Death (Samurai Detective, #3)
  • Flight from Nevèrÿon (Return to Nevèrÿon, #3)
  • Breaking the Sound Barrier
  • The Jaguar Hunter
  • Sea of Terror (Deep Black, #8)
  • Grail (Jacob's Ladder, #3)
  • A Fisherman of the Inland Sea
20850
Walter Mosley (b. 1952) is the author of the bestselling mystery series featuring Easy Rawlins, as well as numerous other works, from literary fiction and science fiction to a young adult novel and political monographs. His short fiction has been widely published, and his nonfiction has appeared in the New York Times Magazine and the Nation, among other publications. Mosley is the winner of numero ...more
More about Walter Mosley...