Start by marking “Wave” as Want to Read:
Wave

Wave

3.26 of 5 stars 3.26  ·  rating details  ·  562 ratings  ·  60 reviews
The "New York Times" bestselling author of "Blue Light" returns to the realm of science fiction. Errol is awakened by a strange prank caller claiming to be his father, who has been dead for several years. Curious, and not a little unnerved, Errol sneaks into the graveyard where his father is buried. What he finds will change his life forever.
Published July 31st 2007 by Grand Central Publishing (first published December 27th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Wave, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wave

Scott Radtke
I hadn't picked up a Walter Mosley book in about a decade, having read trough a few early Easy Rawlin's mysteries (Devil in a Blue Dress, White Butterfly etc...) but moved on. When I found this in a bookstore I couldn't resist seeing how Mr. Mosley would tackle science fiction.

Early on I had a problem digesting his prose style. I thought it was strange and forced, as if he was fighting off his hard boiled schtick, but Mosley's prose is nothing if not propulsive and after a while you let it pull
Kae Cheatham
If you think Walter Mosley only writes mysteries and period pieces, think again. His 2006 title, The Wave, is billed as SF, but I found it closer to absurdist literature, both in theme and style. In this contemporary story, Errol Porter is awakened by phone calls, and the caller sounds like his deceased father. Amazed concern leads him to find this person, and then Errol is involved in mysterious circumstances that alienate him from his real world. As with absurdist pieces I've recently read ( F ...more
Ero
Very wierd book, cautiously skirting/careening wildly around the edges of a lot of sci-fi cliches and getting at something a little uncomfortable and possibly profound, and definitely unusual, while doing so.
Mariana
A phone call from someone who sounds like a long dead father sets off a bizarre and deadly chain of events. This is the second time I read this book on my romp through Walter Mosley's books.
J.M. Slowik
PODS?!

No. But this was a serendipitous follow-up to choose for Invasion of the Body Snatchers. I didn't even read the blurb on the back, yet chose something that feels like a companion piece. Invasion featured duplicates of living people being controlled by an alien intelligence; this involved simulacra of dead people, like sentient zombies. Hive minds, people-as-puppets, plenty of territory in common. I enjoyed this work more, however, for its incredible scope and ambition, and its cosmic digre
Paul
For the past few nights, Errol Porter has been harassed by strange crank phone calls. One night, the caller says that he is Errol’s father. In the middle of the night, Errol breaks into the cemetery where his father was buried several years previously. There he finds GT, who looks, talks and acts like a younger, healthier version of his father. Errol takes him home for a shower and a change of clothes, if nothing else (Errol’s girlfriend, Nella, thinks that is a bad idea).

Along the way, GT tells
Amy
Interesting. I've never ready anything by Walter Mosley, but I think I'd pick something of his up again if given the chance. It's definitely one of those books whose concepts will stay with me for a while. The main story develops after the main character starts getting phone calls from the graveyard from his 9-years-dead father. After several nights of this, he finally goes to "rescue" whoever this guy is that is claiming to be his father from the cemetery. This is not a book about zombies or gh ...more
Sharon Royle
I'm not quite sure how I ended up with a Sci-fi book about zombies. Really, I saw the author's name and affectionately remembered past books by him and I had recently read another book called Wave which was fascinating.

This book fit neither of these categories! Thank goodness it had an interesting beginning and I stuck with it to the end although the explanations of how these creatures lived among us was lost on me. Hopefully, someeone else will find it to be wonderful.
Lynetta
Strolling through the library with the grandgirls I saw this Playaway by Walter Mosley. I have read some of his mysteries and thought it would be fun. Instead this is much more science fiction, which is fine. Errol Porter wakes up in the middle of the night to answer a phone call. A voice tells Errol he's cold, he is Errol's father, and that he is in a cemetary. My husband would not have rescued him from the cemetary, thus ending the book. Errol,of course, does, and problems ensue. G.T. has a lo ...more
David Isgur
Walter Mosley is amazing. He can weave a science fiction tale that has your mind spinning just as adroitly as he can with a work of mystery. This book touches on so many issues -- what truly constitutes family and why we fear what we don't understand. I look forward to everything he writes and I am never disappointed!
Katie
You think you are reading about a simple man and his simple, perhaps downtrodden life. And you are. And then it creeps up on you...you are reading about good vs. evil, the origins and future of humanity, universal synergy & empathy, and other mind-blowing (yet never overwhelming) plot driving themes. Appealing characters, characters you love to hate, and characters you don't quite get - but in a good way - populate this strange multiverse woven into some odd and quiet spaces of every day lif ...more
Phillis
Just finished listening to an audio book of "The Wave". I sew while I'm listening and I couldn't get anything done because this story had all my attention. I'm a BIG Walter Mosley fan and have read all the Easy Rawlins series but just discovered this side of Mosley's writings. I'm going to listen to it again (only 5 disk). Loved it and I thought I was never much for science fiction. This is one of those stories where you really care about even the least characters and what's going to happen to t ...more
April Hochstrasser
Errol Porter gets phone call from someone who sounds like his long dead father. This sets off a bizarre and deadly chain of events that is a little hard to swallow. I know it's Sci-Fi, but usually I can conceive of the concept being purported. I couldn't quite see it in this book because how could the little entities have "seen" the dinosaurs and the cavemen, and the whole development of the earth when they were in the earth, emerging towards the top of the earth, but still, traveling in the ro ...more
Ryun
Better known for his Easy Rawlins series of detective books (such as DEVIL IN A BLUE DRESS), Walter Mosley returns to science fiction with THE WAVE, his best book yet in the genre. At just over 200 pages, THE WAVE follows the food pyramid style of writing: lots of sustenance and almost no fat. Unfortunately, this also makes it really hard to describe the plot without giving anything away.

Errol Porter, recently jobless, wifeless and hopeless, can’t get his dad to stop calling him. The trouble is,
Emily
This was okay. The book is about Errol, a man whose father died recently. Errol has been getting phone calls in the middle of the night recently, from a mysterious voice that sounds like his father. He's not sure what to think, but decides to go to the cemetery and check it out.

He meets a strange young man who looks a lot like his father, but is apparently homeless. Errol is not sure what to make of this guy, but feels bad for him and takes him home.

Then a bunch of weird aliens and government c
Scott Bagley
More like 3.5 stars; four for storytelling and three for the story.

Let me just say that I'm a terrible fantasy/sci-fi reader, too many books make you learn a whole new vocabulary or name the characters using unusual names, it throws me. Try as I might, it throws me. This book didn't. It's a sort of bodysnatchers story, and I think what worked for me is that it's set in the real world with characters as solid as you'd expect from Mr. Mosley. I liked it, but it didn't blow my socks off.
Sue Merrell
I picked this book out of the library because I love Walter Mosely's characters, specifically Easy Rawlings. But this story is a little to sci-fi for me. It's pretty intriguing in the beginning. The hero gets a call from somebody who claims to be a younger version of his father who's been dead for nine years. He leads the family to uncover a family mystery. I was lovin it up to this point, but then it turns into conspiracies and torture and rays and goos and all that other sci-fi stuff .
Christopher Roberts
This has a really interesting premise but then it goes off the rails pretty quickly. Having read a number of Mosley novels I suspect that he does little or no pre-writing before starting a book. This works really well for the crime genre, because you discover the plot with the characters and when you write yourself into a corner you have to figure a way out just like the character would. But with science fiction you need more focus to control wild ideas like this. I rate this a misfire.
Kate
This book has so much potential. I wish it were longer, because the ideas were unique yet universal, with many ties to Buddhism, and I only wanted the author to have more time to explain and describe. It was a bit more like a suspense novel than I liked, which makes sense since the author writes mystery novels. Even with its faults, I read it all in one day and believe the story will stay with me for quite a while.
Colin
This book was a bit weird--i didn't quite buy the omniscient amoeba parasitical god thing, or the mad-plastic-surgeon bit. And i thought it was pretty sexist too-the female characters were one-dimensional sex objects. I definitely liked Futureland and Blue Light a lot better. I think I only liked this because the other sci-fi book I'm reading right now is *really* badly written. Meh.
Jeff
Taneka
This was a wonderful read. This is my first time reading a Walter Mosley novel, but he did an excellent job. It was a bit confusing, but once I opened my mind to conceive the ideas, I was hooked. The Divine is in everything, even in things that we cannot comprehend. We should never let our ignorance drive our emotions. It will only give into fear.
Juliezs
Pretty unique sci-fi tale. Storyline isn't one that has been done to death, and the characters are pretty interesting. I liked some of the big, overarching ideas towards the end, pretty challenging to take it all in and process and then, boom the book is over. I guess I wish he'd had one more chapter. Which is the way I usually feel when I like a book!
Res
I really wanted to like this, but I didn't. Sketchy and underdeveloped -- less than 200 pages long, entire years covered by a single paragraph. It makes gestures at a deeper kind of suspense (where you'd wonder whether maybe the government was right to be afraid of the Wave) but there's never really any doubt.
Steven
An odd book. Starts out like a mystery/sex-romance story and ends up with sci-fi/philosophy. The pacing was imperfect, the characters a bit cliched or unbelievable, the romance and sex scenes unappealing, and yet overall it was sufficiently interesting to garner 3 stars. I have mixed feeling about this one.
Benjamin Plume
This one was better than Mosley's other sci-fi novel "Blue Light." It wasn't one of my favorite Sci Fi reads, but it went some interesting places and kept me turning pages. The characters were deep and colorful. This time Mosley has proved that he can tackle any genre with his captivating prose.
Katie Herring
My boyfriend told me to read this and I won't break up with him or anything because it was actually pretty interesting. I have only read a few books where the main character is black, so it was new for me. I liked the concept, however I'm still not really sure what exactly happened.
M Aaglan
Just AWFUL! I wish there was a 'Zero Stars' option, but since there is not: one star for the presence of words on the page. Simplistic writing, no character development and I could have used heavy narcotics after being beaten over the head with the religious metaphor.
Poeticleah
Now this book was extremely interesting! The concept was very futurist and totally unexpected from this author because I've been reading/listening to the audio CDs his mysteries. I really enjoyed it though, the oneness, the eery quality. Worth checking out!
Kerra
This book was amazing. A friend recommended it to me and I loved it. It is a fantasy story mixed with science and love. I highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a good science filled thriller.

Enjoy and hope you like it as much as I did!
  • Angels & Warriors: The Awakening
  • Snare
  • Loving Donovan
  • The Colors of Space
  • Clay's Ark (Patternmaster, #3)
  • The New Nobility: The Restoration of Russia's Security State and the Enduring Legacy of the KGB
  • Demon Lover (Caitlin Ross #6)
  • Isaac Asimov's Science Fiction Treasury
  • Odyssey (The Academy, #5)
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Twenty-Second Annual Collection
  • Sea of Terror (Deep Black, #8)
  • Barefoot in the Dark
  • Conversations with Rabbi Small
  • Alien Sex: 19 Tales by the Masters of Science Fiction and Dark Fantasy
  • The Living Blood (African Immortals, #2)
  • Breaking the Sound Barrier
  • Ally (Wess'Har Wars, #5)
  • Mojo: Conjure Stories
20850
Walter Mosley (b. 1952) is the author of the bestselling mystery series featuring Easy Rawlins, as well as numerous other works, from literary fiction and science fiction to a young adult novel and political monographs. His short fiction has been widely published, and his nonfiction has appeared in the New York Times Magazine and the Nation, among other publications. Mosley is the winner of numero ...more
More about Walter Mosley...
Devil in a Blue Dress (Easy Rawlins #1) The Last Days of Ptolemy Grey Black Betty (Easy Rawlins #4) Little Scarlet (Easy Rawlins #9) Always Outnumbered, Always Outgunned