Start by marking “Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason” as Want to Read:
Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason

Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason (Bridget Jones #2)

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  65,991 ratings  ·  1,899 reviews
With another devastatingly hilarious, ridiculous, unnervingly accurate take on modern womanhood, Bridget Jones is back. (v.g.) Monday 27 January ""7:15 a.m. Hurrah The wilderness years are over. For four weeks and five days now have been in functional relationship with adult male, thereby proving am not love pariah as recently feared."" Wednesday 5 March ""7:08 p.m. Am ass ...more
Published February 1st 2001 by Penguin Books (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Bridget Jones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bridget Jones

The Colin Firth interview is hilarious! You just want to scream at Bridget to shut up and stop putting her foot in every time she opens her mouth! Just as wonderful as the first book!
This book should be retitled as Bridget Jones: The Unnecessary Sequel. Bridget returns as the hapless and can't-get-it-together heroine with plenty of love, work and weight troubles. The first book has a happy ending and I thought that was the end of it. Since it's so successful, of course the author cannot resist conjuring contrived plot lines for Bridget's second adventure.

Bridget came across as charming and endearing in the first book but here she becomes annoying and irritating. I (or the r
Weight: 867 lbs (due to entire Chipotle burrito bol still sitting in belly), cigarettes 0 (as don’t smoke), alcohol units 1 (responsible glass of red wine, for heart), calories 1557 (if Chipotle nutrition calculator can be trusted)

Have just finished reading Bridget Jones’s Diary: The Edge of Reason, aka BJD 2: THE DARCY STRIKES BACK. Still working out feelings re: sequel, as original was pure perfection, part of identity, Pride & Prejudice-related (so obviously superior to almost all other w
Not quite as good as the original, nonetheless, spending more time with Bridget and her friends as they count alcohol units and worry about what underpants to wear on a date is a pleasant diversion.
Kimberly Carrington-Fox
La Fielding se saca de la manga una trama liosa y con muchos altibajos, perdiendo mucha de la gracia y frescura del pirmer libro. Mark Darcy y la madre de Bridget son lo mejor (por favor, la madre es ahostiablemente graciosa). A Bridget a veces la matabas, a veces le dabas un achuchón. Al menos te entretiene y, si lo comparas con la peli, es una maravilla (la peli es es-pan-to-sa -> salvo Colin Firth #AyOmá)
Sunday 26 January

6 pm. My Bed. Writing critic on Goodreads Hurrah! Just finished quite good book. Will call friends and discuss about it. Now everyone can see how smart I am! Will write fantastic critic, one that will make everyone follow me, adore me, etc. Will be invited to review more books and will write for famous newspaper (Guardian or Times).
Yes, will write not only funny review but insightful.
Should have a little wine for to start creativity flowing.

6.01 Will go to shop and buy Silk Cu
Devon Hernandez
Fits of uncontrollable laughter. That would describe me reading this book. What a great followup to the first one! For those of you who have only seen the movie and not read the book, warning: the movie script cuts quite a bit out, and changes quite a bit. For instance, the whole lesbian thing in the movie? Never happened. The "other woman" who Bridget thought was after Mark really was after Mark in the book. Daniel Cleaver barely makes an appearance, just a brief few times, literally only 3 bri ...more
After finishing Bridget Jones's Diary for the second time, I turned my attention to Bridge Jones: The Edge of Reason, by Helen Fielding, which I'd never read before. I have to say that with both books, there were definitely laugh-out-loud moments, although there were more with Edge of Reason than Diary.

I'm embarrassed to admit it took me at least to the middle of the book to realize that this book was a take-off of Persuasion. And once again, I admire Ms. Fielding's facility in translating a cla
Miglė Keliotytė
What a wonderful book. Found myself again laughing from Bridget so hard I couldn't breathe. This book really lightened up my days when I needed. So sad I finished it so fast.
Tanya Nekrasova
Вторая книга мне понравилась меньше первой. В целом мне понравилось, были действительно смешные, нелепые моменты.Меня совершенно не раздражали мысли о похудание, или такие та внутренние надуманные самокопания героини, это даже показалось мне забавным.Но вот я абсолютно полностью разочарована в Бриджит Джонс как личности - она глупа, эгоистична, автор очень многое удачно подстраивает под нее, что для меня не работало. Допустим момент с ее работой - на протяжение всей книги она несет бред, а в кон ...more
Not as good as the first but still worthy of attention.
Pam Geemul
It took me so long time to finish the book because I hated it. Totally and absolutely HATED it. Wanted to dispose of the book midway but convinced myself to go through it because I had flicker of hope that it might get better. But alas, I was so wrong. Bridget Jones must be one of the shallowest, most superficial characters I ever came across. One CANNOT have her life centered around losing weight and indulging in self pity for the simple reason that one has no boyfriend. Seriously, on nearly ev ...more
This is probably the one rare time I'd say that a book's sequel is much better than its predecessor.

In this continuation of her diary, Bridget again recounts the ups and downs of the single life, coupled by the indifference shown to her by Mark Darcy, her now established boyfriend. "Hurrah! The wilderness years are now over. For four weeks and five days now have been in functional relationship with adult male, thereby proving am not love pariah as recently feared." Add to Darcy's indifference
Magrat Ajostiernos
No recomiendo esta lectura a ninguna "Petulante Casada". Las treintañeras solteronas en cambio harán de éste su libro de cabecera.
Como yo xD
En serio, algún día dejará de hacerme gracia Bridget Jones, pero por suerte ese día lo veo todavía muy lejano... ¡Hurra!
Ana Rînceanu
Disaster. This is what happens when you don't think on your own and just regurgitate a self-help book's or your biased friend's advise. Still, we've all been there in some form or other. Bridget's exploits are a frivolous, adorkable joy to read about while holding in giggles. Career wise, I can't say we see eye to eye to her, but I'd like to go out for her with a drink and discuss the Velveteen Rabbit.
It was funnier and better than the another book.
Nevertheless, I expected more.
Now, why I'm not going to read Mad About the Boy

I've just read the book summary:

"With her hotly anticipated third installment, Bridget Jones: Mad About the Boy, Fielding introduces us to
51-year-old Bridget Jones, single mother of two children (Mark Darcy having died five years ago). Set in contemporary London, Bridget is negotiating a new phase in her life, including the challenges of maintaining sex appeal as the yea
The great thing about this book is that it completely preserved the tone, voice, characterizations, and humor of the first Bridget Jones book. It is easy to read but not dumbed-down. In fact, the nearly telegraphic style makes the reader work just a bit harder than she is used to, in order to divine the meaning. So that's all good. Why, then, have I given this sequel only three stars, where the first book received five?

There were three things that led me to this decision... and at one point, I w
Chase A
Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason, a fictional work of British literature by Helen Fielding, is a whirlwind of a romance set in the city of Notting Hill. Bridget, the calorie, cigarette, and alcohol obsessed thirty year old, finds herself in unfortunate relationships that hardly ever work out for her. But eventually, she finds the man of her dreams, Mark Darcy. It has been “four weeks and five days [that she has] been in a functional relationship with an adult male,” portraying that she is not a ...more
I didn't like the first book as much as I enjoyed the movie but I wanted to read it anyway cause I love the movie - the characters were much more superficial and I couldn't relate to Bridget as much. The story about her mother was pretty crazy - totally unbelievable - they tamed it down for the movie.

Anyway I thought I would try out the 2nd book thinking maybe the character had grown some but she was still just as bad and annoying and her friends were worse - being married and a mom I was reall
Ciarán West
Helen Fielding is basically the world's greatest feminist. In her first Bridget Jones book, she taught us that no woman is complete unless she has the love of a foppish, sub-Hugh Grant, barely heterosexual posh man to complete her. To add to the confusion, Bridget is in love with the actor Colin Firth, who they end up casting in the film as her actual love interest, Mark Darcy. If that wasn't confusing enough, they throw in Hugh actual Grant as the Bad Boy Whom All Women Are Attracted To In Spit ...more
Quite different than the movie, but very enjoyable despite Bridget's vapid personality. I was really surprised to find the actor Colin Firth in the book... that would have been really hard to have in the movie considering he was playing Mark Darcy ;)

I loved the ending of the movie with the Firth/Grant girly-man fight. I liked the ending in the book with the whole murder plot and Darcy screaming naked.

Lots of good stuff. I was amused.

Audiobook was wonderful. Forgive my punctuation since I listene
Laura Daley
Read most of this book in one sitting today and closed it feeling as though I'd said goodbye to a friend. I adored Bridget's character in both books. This story had me laughing more often than any other book has.

Never would've expected to relate to or enjoy this book so much. V. good.

Have to watch the films again ASAP!!
Deborah Markus
Not as fresh and quotable as the first Bridget Jones book, but still a lot of fun. More entertaining if you're familiar with Persuasion, since her references (callbacks?) to it are hilarious. Too sleepy to type more. Read this book if you like funny.
I enjoyed Edge of Reason a bit more than the original. I think it had a little more depth (and I use that term veeery loosely) than the first Bridget Jones book. She grows a tiny bit as a character, and finally seems to come to terms with what it means to be an adult in love. Again, she grows a tiny bit...we're not talking about any huge spiritual epiphany here. This is, after all, Bridget Jones we're talking about.
As a big fan of the BBC version of Pride and Prejudice, I also found myself smil
I am often typecast by friends and family as “the one who likes books.” To non-readers, a book is a book is a book, so I often end up getting some really weird books that I would never pick up for myself. This is how I ended up in possession of The Edge of Reason, Helen Fielding’s second Bridget Jones novel.

In this novel, Bridget stumbles through her day-to-day life, surviving one ridiculous mishap after another, until she is finally reunited with her love.

The writing is designed to imitate a fo
When this came out I was so excited there was going to be more Bridget Jones, but was slightly less enamored by this one. Darcy was a bit of a schmuck, Bridget ever clueless finds herself in a world of trouble of because she is a ditz.

I really enjoyed this book, even though it was virtually no where near how its portrayed in the movie!!! I have to say I am disappointed that the Mark Darcy from the books isn't exactly represented in the movies, he is much more funny and fucked up and sexual than the movies give him credit for!!! Its all good though, the book was hilarious all the same and once again, I wanted to tackle Bridget's ass and slap some sense into her for all her neurotic behavior!!!! Being done with this book now br ...more
Despite the fact that now that I'm reading this as an adult, I'm much more highly critical of Bridget's extreme shallowness and idiocy... this book is still an enjoyable read. Last time I read it, I was around 20, so I'm more in a place now to identify with Bridget.

It's been over 10 years since I last read it, and I was delighted to find one thing I'd forgotten: like the first book with Pride & Prejudice, this plot is loosely based on Jane Austen's Persuasion. If you're not a Jane Austen fa
  • Rivals (Rutshire Chronicles #2)
  • Amanda's Wedding
  • Strapless
  • Farm Fatale: A Comedy of Country Manors
  • Stately Pursuits
  • Come Together (Jack & Amy, #1)
  • Summer in the City
  • Adrian Mole: The Lost Years (Adrian Mole #1-4)
  • Bare Necessity
  • Holly's Inbox : Scandal in the City (Holly's Inbox #2)
  • The First Assistant: A Continuing Tale from Behind the Hollywood Curtain
  • Shopaholic Ties the Knot (Shopaholic, #3)
  • The Baby Trail
  • The Dashwood Sisters Tell All: A Modern-Day Novel of Jane Austen
  • I Heart Vegas (I Heart, #4)
  • Notting Hill
  • Under the Rose (Secret Society Girl, #2)
  • Fashionistas
Helen Fielding was born in Yorkshire. She worked for many years in London as a newspaper and TV journalist, travelling as wildly and as often as possibly to Africa, India and Central America. She is the author of four novels: Cause Celeb, Bridget Jones’ s Diary, Bridget Jones:The Edge of Reason and Olivia Joules and the Overactive Imagination, and co-wrote the screenplays for the movie of Bridget ...more
More about Helen Fielding...

Bridget Jones (3 books)
  • Bridget Jones's Diary (Bridget Jones, #1)
  • Mad About the Boy (Bridget Jones, #3)

“Keep thinking back about what Mum said about being real and the Velveteen Rabbit book (though frankly have had enough trouble with rabbits in this particular house). My favorite book, she claims of which I have no memory was about how little kids get one toy that they love more than all the others, and even when its fur has been rubbed off, and it's gone saggy with bits missing, the little child still thinks it's the most beautiful toy in the world, and can't bear to be parted from it.

That's how it works, when people really love each other, Mum whispered on the way out in the Debenhams lift, as if she was confessing some hideous and embarrassing secret. But, the thing is, darling, it doesn't happen to ones who have sharp edges, or break if they get dropped, or ones made of silly synthetic stuff that doesn't last. You have to be brave and let the other person know who you are and what you feel.”
“9p.m. My flat. Feel very strange and empty. Is all very well thinking everything is going to be different when you come back but then it is all the same. Suppose I have to make it different. But what am I going to do with my life?
I know. Will eat some cheese.”