Start by marking “Point Deception (Cape Perdido, #1)” as Want to Read:
Point Deception (Cape Perdido, #1)

Point Deception (Cape Perdido #1)

A bestselling journalist, Guy Newberry is known for his articles on the plight of troubled communities. Shortly after his arrival in the small seaside community of Signal Port, California, a town that has never recovered from the unsolved murder of two young families 13 years ago, another nightmare begins. An unidentified woman's body washes up at nearby Point Deception, i ...more
Other Format
Published December 1st 2009 by Findaway World (first published July 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Point Deception, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Point Deception

Jul 01, 2011 Kris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Barry Martin Vass
This is an excellent stand-alone mystery by the award-winning author of the Sharon McCone private-eye novels set in San Francisco. In the remote, Northern California coastal community of Point Deception (so named because in the late 1800's smugglers and bootleggers used to put lanterns on the long spit of land to deceive the local authorities while they unloaded their cargo in a prearranged isolated cove), a young woman, a complete stranger, is found murdered, her body washing up on shore. And i ...more
Aug 15, 2016 Judy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are several reasons I read Muller's books. First is that she writes intriguing characters and mysteries. Second, most are placed in and around San Francisco, which I'm familiar with. This book isn't part of the Sharon McCone series, and it's too bad that it will get lost in the reviews of Muller's books, because, in someways, I think it's even better. The location is on the California coast north of SF--Muller's fictional place, but being familiar with that area, I have a mental image of w ...more
Jul 15, 2016 Siisso rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The main appeal is largely at the closure. The original murders have been used as a cultivation point and minstrel to one unlikely melody at the brief closure. Bait. Further enmeshed in many unnatural conversations. The upbeat use of slang may try to appeal to a YA audience at a very sickening precedence. Some colloquials are so conventional they do the author some discredit, but the ending was perfect. The book outlines some achievements at the back but my considerations towards the author rem ...more
aPriL does feral sometimes
An emotionally complex character-driven mystery. Sheriff's deputy Rhoda Swift's territory is Northern California along the coast and the communities she patrols are spread out and thinly populated. Summer tourists and rich people who own summer homes are all that is keeping the few open businesses going. A massacre of two families that took place near Point Deception thirteen years previously has seriously poisoned the spirit of the year-around locals as well, so they have nothing to fight the e ...more
Jan 24, 2009 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: one-night-stands
This one was fun. In the front of the book is a map of "Soledad County" which sits on the Northern California coast between Humboldt and Mendocino. At the north end of the County there is Oilville, obviously Petrolia, at the south end is Westhaven, the coast road is 1 and over on the inland side winds Highway 101, through the redwoods. A few familiar names like Castle Rock and Eel River, and there you have the setting.

Muller does a great job evoking the North Coast folks, including the dope gro
I liked this one, not sure I will hunt down the author again though. The interaction between Rhoda and Guy was nice, their l'love potential' was not slammed over your head. I liked the flashbacks to Chrystal's findings. It really helped you learn more. I did not like some of the climax on who did what. But it was interesting to figure out how the current mysteries tied to the massacre 13 years prior.
Kirsty Darbyshire
This non McCone mystery got off to a bit of a slow start for me. I wondered whether this was because it isn't part of the long running McCone series and therefore possibly different from what I was subconciously expecting but I've also read (ok, devoured) all Muller's other books that I could get my hands on including those featuring Elena Oliverez and Joanna Stark so I am aware that Muller can write other stuff too. I think it's the billing as a "thriller" that had set me thinking down the wron ...more
California Deputy Sheriff Rhoda Swift and New York author and journalist Guy Newberry work together to solve 3 murders which lead to the answers of a 13 yr old massacre in the same town
Dec 18, 2014 Kristen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In a brand new series from Marcia Muller, she told us a cryptic tale in Point Deception, the first book in the Point Deception trilogy series. In this mystery, we were introduced to Rhoda Swift, the local deputy in this fictional Sonoma County town. She was haunted by the thirteen-year-old murders of two families that haven't been solved. On the anniversary, she believed the anniversary had created a new crime spree, when a local woman's dead body turned up on the shores of Point Deception. For ...more
Aug 28, 2014 Sara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good mystery using flashbacks to tell the story of a young woman trying to find her past and a town trying to forget some horrific murders of 13 years prior.
Paul Littrell
Aug 05, 2016 Paul Littrell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at!
Debra Morris
Aug 24, 2014 Debra Morris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great mystery; the characters were well developed and the plot was well constructed. I liked the small town atmosphere that the author created.
Love Sharon McCone and her colleagues. This author never disappoints.
Oct 28, 2014 Katie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Picked up towards the end. Not a bad read, but have read better.
I honestly didn't give the slightest care about any of the characters until I was over halfway done with this book. I kept reading until that point mostly out of stubbornness and a need to unravel the plot. That being said, I don't regret sticking it out. The plot was intricate, the ending was reasonably satisfying, and the characters turned out to have some depth after all, even if they still weren't exactly interesting.
Something terrible happend in Cascada Canyon 13 years ago and Deputy Rhoda Swift was there. People in Soledad County don't talk about it much including Rhoda but that is about to change. Plagued by what happened and aided by a journalist Guy Newberry, she sets out to solve that unsolved crime as well as the resent rash of mysterious deaths. What will they find?
Jan 12, 2015 Nick rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this had a good plot with some twists and turns but the characters seemed so depressing. I actually read the 2nd book out of order years ago but don't really remember it. It might be worth rereading them in order. However I don't think the main characters are prominent (if they are in it at all) but I believe it takes place in the same area.
Sandy Weir
Dec 30, 2013 Sandy Weir rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My friend Susan gave me a copy of this book and I found it better than I had expected. Having driving much of HWY 1, I managed to fit myself right in the precarious scene. A thriller
Steve Clark
Who knew Northern California was so violent? This book had an exceptionally high body count for a murder mystery. I liked the two main characters, an investigative reporter from New York City and the local woman who is a sheriff's deputy haunted by memories of a case she failed to solve.
Tom Schulte
Great, nearly breathless tale of the vertices of a lovers' triangle" Reed, Louise Bryant, and Eugene O'Neill. Then, that triangle and the two key pieces of Louise and Reed land in the Communist Revolution and both die young, painfully and tragically for it.
Jun 27, 2011 Tessa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's like an episode of CSI-paperback-novel. Solid murder mystery albeit somewhat predictable. It's an easy vacation read and did keep me on the edge of my seat. The best part was how Muller changed perspective between the main characters.
My mom has read lots of books by Marcia Muller and her husband, Bill Pronzini. I have read some of them, and they are always entertaining. This one was about mysterious happenings along the Northern Calilfornia coastline. I liked it!
Julie Carter
Mar 16, 2013 Julie Carter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book, and felt like it was a good mystery. I liked the way that Chrystina's story was woven in with the investigation. I am about to start "Cyanide Wells", and hope it is as enjoyable as this one was.
Joe O'c
Very Good; potentially a new series with sheriff's deputy Rhoda Swift; 13 years after 6 people were killed in a small California town, terror revisits at the same time a wrter comes to town.
Muller, Marcia- Stand alone
11 year old mass murder
This isn't part of any of her other series. Not bad. Not as good as the earlier McCone books, but better than the last 10 years' paint-by-numbers ones.
Earl Royce Hugo
Jan 28, 2012 Earl Royce Hugo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good thriller that had me turning pages back to reread the "foreshadowing"... and had me turning pages forward towards the ending.
Andy Plonka
Sep 25, 2013 Andy Plonka rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: src
It has been a while since I read a book by this author. This book, a new series, I think, is excellent, so I have some catching up to do.
Aug 26, 2007 Michele rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: corrine
Shelves: suspensemystery
highly recommend this author if you are a mystery fan - compelling storyline, but clean - she's just a great writer!
  • Mission Road (Tres Navarre, #6)
  • Debts of Dishonor (Imogen Quy, #3)
  • The Snake Tattoo (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #2)
  • Keeping Watch
  • The Wrong Dog (Rachel Alexander & Dash #5)
  • The Vanished (Nameless Detective, #2)
  • Three Jack Reacher Novellas (with bonus Jack Reacher's Rules): Deep Down, Second Son, High Heat, and Jack Reacher's Rules
  • Catherine Coulter CD Collection: Eleventh Hour, Blindside, and Blowout
  • The Dark of Day
  • Get Out or Die (Aurelia Marcella, #1)
  • Karma (Jill Smith, #1)
  • Storm Runners
  • Three Complete Novels: J is for Judgment / K is for Killer / L is for Lawless
  • Dolan's Cadillac, and Other Stories
  • This Dame for Hire
A native of the Detroit area, Marcia Muller grew up in a house full of books and self-published three copies of her first novel at age twelve, a tale about her dog complete with primitive illustrations. The "reviews" were generally positive.

In the early 1970s, having moved to California, Muller found herself unemployable and began experimenting with mystery novels.

In the ensuing thirty-some years,
More about Marcia Muller...

Cape Perdido (3 books)
  • Cyanide Wells (Cape Perdido, #2)
  • Cape Perdido (Cape Perdido, #3)