Ten Flashing Fireflies

Ten Flashing Fireflies

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  54 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Luminous pictures and a buoyant, chant-aloud text, combine to make this two-way counting book as joyous and magical as catching fireflies on a summer night.
Published March 1st 1997 by NorthSouth (NY) (first published April 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Ten Flashing Fireflies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ten Flashing Fireflies

Samantha
The soft, muted illustrations were my favorite part of this book - it made the contrast of the white and yellow fireflies clearer and easier for a young reader to count. It became a little harder to read after the first few pages because the author stopped her rhyming scheme in the third line of each page. This interrupted the flow of reading for me.
Azriana Johnson
I used this book in my 1st grade placement to teach equations. This book uses math by counting down within 10. The students loved catching fireflies with math on them and using counters or mental math to find the answer. Great introduction to an addition or subtraction lesson.
Christian Lyles
I liked this book because it was a basic counting book.
Melissa
I liked this book fine, but didn't find it spectacular. However, my preschoolers absolutely loved it. They said the repeating opening line while doing actions, used their hands to flash like the fireflies, but their favorite part? Catching the fireflies! They made it through all 10 fireflies. And I was worried the book wouldn't be able to hold their attention...Surprise!
Jackie
Counting back and forth from one to ten, siblings catch fireflies in a jar. As they realize that the glow and intensity of the glow wears off once they are trapped within the jar, they decide it is much more fun to watch them fly away and, once again, light up the night sky.

Used for "You Light Up My Night, Firefly" Storytime: June, 2011.
Lauren
Mar 09, 2008 Lauren rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: children learning to count and subtract
I was excited to find this one because I think fireflies are so magical and it would be so much fun to focus on them for a summer reading theme with kids. This is simply a good book for helping kids to count and to subtract as the sister and brother catch the fireflies one by one and observe how many are left flying around in the summer night sky.
Mhm Storytelling
This book is about a boy and girl catching firflies in their backyard. As they cath them, they count how many fireflies are in the jar.

Ways to Interact:
Counting the fireflies in the jar
How many are left outside the jar?
identify the animals that are next to the jar
motions: catch fireflies, go to sleep
sounds: snoring sounds
Michelle Marcano
Ten flashing fireflies is a story about a boy and girl collecting fireflies in their backyard. although this book is great for math I think that the use repetition is great for literacy. It is also a simple book that the students can get creative with during read alouds.
Lena Barnes
This would be great to read and bring out when children start seeing fireflies outside. Great counting book for one-to-one correspondence.
Irina
This is a simple book about counting fireflies. It can be used when teaching counting forward and backward since it has both.
Michelle
Two children catch fireflies and put them in a jar to light up their room. This is a good book to introduce respect for nature,
Kristie
This book counts up to 10 and back down again. The fireflies standout on the pages against a darker, night background.
Dotty
Fun counting book with just the right ending and the true test is Johnny wanted to read it again.
Danielle
A good counting book; you count up and down at the same time.
Jeannie
Oct 15, 2009 Jeannie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jeannie by: Literature for Little Learners
A tender book that counts both up and down.
Tricia
counting book with fireflies. fun text.
Lindsay
counting, summer, fireflies/insects/bugs
Alison
Alison added it
Jun 11, 2014
Ruth Tsui
Ruth Tsui marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Little Red Hen Makes a Pizza I Love Trains! I Love Trucks! How Do You Make a Baby Smile? I Love Bugs!