Start by marking “Sex Dungeon For Sale!” as Want to Read:
Sex Dungeon For Sale!

Sex Dungeon For Sale! (New Bizarro Author Series)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  59 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Combine an optimistic realtor selling a home with a sexual playground, a kindergartener convinced he's actually French and something called, "Chicken Soup for the Kidnapper's Soul," and you get Patrick Wensink's hilarious collection of short stories. Sex Dungeon for Sale! Takes these bold characters and a few other outrageous situations to create an unforgettable and quick ...more
Published October 5th 2009 by Eraserhead Press (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Sex Dungeon For Sale!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sex Dungeon For Sale!

Tagged by Joseph M. ChironA Life To Waste - A Novel of Violence and Horror by Andrew LennonCoraline by Neil GaimanPlebs by Jim GoforthGrundish and Askew by Lance Carbuncle
Twisted Tales
30th out of 321 books — 310 voters
Vacation by Jeremy C. ShippJohn Dies at the End by David WongHELP!  A Bear is Eating Me! by Mykle HansenApeshit by Carlton Mellick IIISatan Burger by Carlton Mellick III
Bizarro
43rd out of 239 books — 177 voters

More lists with this book...

karen
Sex dungeon sold!

Wanna hear a boring story? No? TFB!

I like to make displays at work. It's what I do. And they are usually for small presses, or books with arresting covers, or just shit that is going to get lost on the shelves otherwise, but if "they" see it, "they" will buy it. It is not hard to sell books, as long as you have an angle. Mine is to cater to the impulse buyer through their WTF bones.

Holloway House was an amazing publisher putting out early urban fiction in the sixties and seventi
Esteban del Mal
Dear Jesus, Confucius, Vishnu, Rothschild family, Michael Jordan, Goodreads, et al.,

Thank you for Patrick Wensink. I mean it! After the previous two books I read, I thought you guys were priming me for some Job-like shit. Then along comes this snazzy little author and PRESTO MAGIC! I am made whole again!

I can remember a time when circumstances were such that I’d never even known of Mr. Wensink, let alone read his book. A backwards time, when talented wordsmiths like him were unable to massage a
Jasmine
Yes, yes, I am reading these books too fast and giving everything 5 stars, but it isn't my fault. They have all been short and I have simply picked books that I knew I was going to like.

This had everything I want from a short story collection, predictable but hilarious twists, creepy stories, lots of sex references, and swearing (although that there could have been more of). I liked the story that is available on Patrick Wensink's goodreads blog, and I liked the rest of the book. It reads a bit
Lance
Eraseread Press has recently decided to give some unheard-of authors a chance with the New Bizarro Author Series. One of the new Eraserhead authors is Patrick Wensink. Sex Dungeon for Sale is Wensink’s contribution to the series. As is fairly typical with the Bizarro publishers, Sex Dungeon is a collection of short stories. Wensink’s stories were absurd, surreal, and funny. I like the Bizarro movement and appreciate the DIY/independent attitude of the publishers and authors. Nevertheless, there ...more
Kate
Apr 11, 2010 Kate rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone looking for a piece of bizarre comedic gold
Recommended to Kate by: Patrick Wensink
Dear Patrick Wensink -

You made me spit grape juice out of my nose on Public Transportation on the way to my day job because your short stories are so humorous. Now my book looks like it was sprayed with a blood machine. Sure it adds character to the book itself but my nose hurt for the rest of the day and I received quite a few WTF looks while I attempted to clean up before the bus got to my stop.

However, any book that elicits that kind of response from a lowly reader like myself, I consider to
Joshua Nomen-Mutatio
Had I not just read two amazing books (one and two) and just started in on a third amazing book right before plowing through this slim bizarro treatise I might've given it another star. Let's call it three-point-seven.

There was nothing wrong with it really, just not what I was looking for today I guess. I don't know. My feigning-objectivity-machine is on the fritz. Same with my writing-creative/thoughtful-reviews machine.

This book was wacky fun but I started to tire of the wacky fun formula fa
Lori
Arc from author

Patrick Wensink knocks this crazy collection of short stories out of the park. His book "Sex Dungeon For Sale!" was picked up by Eraserhead Press, a publishing company that specializes in Bizarro Fiction.

What is Bizarro fiction, you might ask? According to the wiki definition, it's like Franz Kafka meets John Waters; Dr. Suess of the post-apocalypse; Alice in Wonderland for adults ... Are you craving for it yet?

Peter does weird like nobody's business! In this collection of strange
Patrick Wensink
Oct 19, 2009 Patrick Wensink rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
I wrote this book, so I'm a little biased.
Anita Dalton
This book may actually be a good bridge into bizarro for some readers because while it is odd, it does not cross wholly into the full-bore weirdness one experiences reading Carlton Mellick III, one of the best-known bizarros. Additionally, these stories are very much, for the most part, grounded in reality, not incorporating the heavy use of magical realism that one sees so much of in bizarro. I find magical realism amazing when done well, but it is no black mark against Sex Dungeons for Sale! t ...more
Jason Pettus
(Reprinted from the Chicago Center for Literature and Photography [cclapcenter.com:]. I am the original author of this essay, as well as the owner of CCLaP; it is not being reprinted illegally.)

The prolific umbrella corporation Bizarro Books (owners of alt-horror CCLaP favorite Raw Dog Screaming Press) have an interesting experiment that they run through yet another specialty imprint, Eraserhead Press; to determine which genre authors will eventually have big enough fan bases to justify supporti
Jessica
I'm on quite the bizarro kick lately Sex Dungeon For Sale is the only one my library has, I will have to request they bring in a ton of others.
Good book and great book depending on which short story I was reading. The good ones were crazy genius others I thought were okay.
The Foreword rocked. The title story was good as were the majority of the stories in this great little read. I did find a couple to be a bit meh for me but these were few and far between.
All in all great variety in the storie
Steve Lowe
As with any collections, this has great stories and good stories, some that I preferred over others, but none that were bad. SEX DUNGEON is noticeably devoid of suckage, and in fact is rather awesome at time, especially the foreword. I really liked the foreword. Great imagination and my kind of humor.
Steven
"All night long, her lips stenciled across his body like a nail-gun." That great line is from Wash, Rinse, Repeat, a story featuring a dishwasher with a Kill cycle, one of twelve stories in this Bizarro series collection. Some fun stuff here, but I wouldn't really characterize it as bizzaro. Absurdist humor and Onion style faux realism is more like it. These stories, although a bit rough in places, are right in line with some of things that Rick Moody, Stacey Richter, and Aimee Bender, among oth ...more
J.W. Wargo
Id says:
Wait, wait, wait. Let me get this straight: The book starts with a Realtor trying to sell a house with one fucked up basement, then it introduces a guy whose son is acting French. Okay following you so far.
Now it's killer dishwashers and positive reassurances for kidnappers, weird sperm donor children and American terrorists. What happened to the French kid?
Halfway through the book I'm thinking, "This is Bizarro, the author's going to tie this all together somehow. It's been a wild ride
kcb
Sex Dungeon for Sale! is a quick read- you can finish it in about the time it takes to sit through Were-Dragon vs. The Teenage Psychic Mummy from Mars 6, or whatever movie SyFy is playing in between episodes of Stargate. Wensink has a natural flow to his writing style that carries like a casual conversation, and it’s peppered with what I thought were some excellent uses of metaphor. His stories have a subdued strangeness to them. I never felt like Wensink is trying too hard to be random and weir ...more
Tony
Each of the eleven short stories in this small collection are built on a lone imaginative premise, upon which the story succeeds or fails. They can be breezed through in about an hour, and while I found myself chuckling at almost every piece, they're so thin that they generally fail to leave much of an impression. They remind me of the micro-fiction and humor web sites that friends periodically send me links to. Momentarily amusing and diverting, with pleasantly skewed sensibilities, but not dev ...more
FINALLY a Bizarro book that isnt too cringe worthy to read in public (other than the title of course).

I love the controversial nature of some of the stories within this collection. They don't seem to "rub it in your face" that they are touching on some of the most politically correct or should i say incorrect topic facing america and well the world but they do so subtly.

I will be recommending this book to my friends!
Ben
Wensink takes situations that we almost know, or might know, both mundane and scary, buying a house, adultery, corporate marketing, suicide bombers and celebrity, and spinning them through his characters' cracked, and times confused, yet still humanizing, and humane, view the world.

More - http://bentanzer.blogspot.com/2011/10...
Jarrid
Sex Dungeon For Sale! was a weird, well-written, and most importantly, entertaining read. If all is right in the literary world, it will sell better than those awesome pink M.U.S.C.L.E. wrestler toys from the 80's. If you enjoy pure strange entertainment mixed with your quality prose, then buy, don't rent, your very own Sex Dungeon.
Chris Bowsman
Sex Dungeon For Sale! is an eclectic group of stories. All are funny, strange, and quite entertaining. This book is better read in chunks, one or two stories at a time, depending on length.

Particularly good are "My Son Thinks He's French" and "The Many Lives of James Brown's Capes."
Jessica
Just when you think you've seen it all ... you haven't. This is a collection of bizarre short stories. Clever ideas, but I found the execution lacking. Full review here:
Michael Economy
Pretty crazy book. I wasn't aware it was all short stories coming in. I'd like to see longer fiction by the same author, maybe with a little more character development.

The story about the pharmasutical company was great.
Kristen
I enjoyed my first foray into the "bizarro" genre, however, this book (thankfully) was not as sordid as the title suggests. The author has a mildly dark (gray?) side and a fantastic voice.
Brandon
Genuinely funny. Well written but conversational at the same time. Some really strong stories in there. Would absolutely recommend.
Tanya
Awesome stories
Sasha Romesburg
Sasha Romesburg marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Amilcar
Amilcar marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Joseph Giess
Joseph Giess marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
Moira Mcglynn
Moira Mcglynn marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
  • Love in the Time of Dinosaurs
  • Lick Your Neighbor
  • Grundish and Askew
  • Some Things Are Better Left Unplugged
Patrick Wensink was born in Deshler, OH in 1979. Since that time he has done a lot of things he is not proud of. But he's also done some pretty interesting stuff. Over the years he has bottled and sold his own line of Wentastic BBQ Sauce, got married in a doughnut shop and even found the time to author a few greeting cards.

The Louisville Courier-Journal called Sex Dungeon for Sale!, "A deliciously
More about Patrick Wensink...

New Bizarro Author Series (1 - 10 of 36 books)
  • Muscle Memory
  • The Egg Said Nothing
  • Bucket of Face
  • Carnageland
  • Her Fingers
Broken Piano for President Black Hole Blues Everything Was Great Until It Sucked: One Man's Journey from Fake Ids and BBQ Sauce Sales to Stay-At-Home-Dad and Bestselling Author Fake Fruit Factory Broken Piano for President