Start by marking “Caring for Your Baby and Young Child: Birth to Age 5” as Want to Read:
Caring for Your Baby and Young Child: Birth to Age 5

Caring for Your Baby and Young Child: Birth to Age 5

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  950 ratings  ·  85 reviews
New Edition of the AAP consumer title that has shaped the health and well being of children for nearly 20 years
Published January 1st 2009 by American Academy of Pediatrics (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Caring for Your Baby and Young Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Caring for Your Baby and Young Child

Ashley
Mar 26, 2008 Ashley rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: New parents
This is one of the best books for new parents. It is full of all sorts of helpful info about everything. I reference this book quite often. A great gift for a new mom. ...more
Kristen
While I haven't read this cover to cover, it certainly has helped me a ton with caring for my 3 kiddos, especially the first. With another on the way I will have to break it out again for sure. My sister-in-law gave it to me with my first telling me it was the "baby bible". She was definitely right.
Jenni
Apr 21, 2009 Jenni rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: expectant parents & new parents
I really like this book. The information is presented in a very straightforward manner; no frills or gimmicks. It's a bit more academic than some childcare/parenting books, which appeals to me. I enjoy knowing why certain things happen (or don't), and this book shares more technical/medical info than some other texts I've read. That said, it's still a very easy read and handy reference.

side note:
My husband and I interviewed several pediatricians before E was born. We asked all for new parent r
Louisa
Hands down the best book on baby care. Is a bit thick, but the organization makes it easy to skip to the pages that are relevant to you. The book describes month by month the growth and development, basic care, and health and immunization alerts for your child. It also has a little section about what kinds of toys and activities are good for your child, which is something most other books do not provide. There is a detailed "encyclopedia" in the back about what to do in case an emergency or illn ...more
Keegan
A friend said she is afraid reading parenting books will just stress her out. Books that give TONS of advice that doesn't seem feasible do this to me, so I could relate. However, this book is more informative than bossy. It was helpful to know what my baby was seeing or around when my child would be walking, etc. My child is only a year old, but my sense is that the most useful part of the book is the first year. That's more because there's so much change during this time than anything else. Plu ...more
Tracy
Forget What To Expect the First Year, this book is way better. It's based on statistical evidence, has a user-friendly format, and clearly explains the developmental stages of your child. Plus, it has a huge topical index at the end covering everything from rashes and fevers to behavioral issues. It's the exact same advise your pediatrician would give you.

I've used this book again and again, whether to see if my child is reaching appropriate milestones or to check if a spot on their skin is ecz
Colleen
With a toddler and a newborn in the house, I find myself consulting this book pretty regularly to check on potential ailments and developmental expectations. Along with websites like Baby Center and What to Expect and several friends in the medical profession, I think it cuts down on the number of crazed calls to the base clinic/Tricare triage line, which I generally find frustrating anyway...

It's over 600 pages long so it's pretty exhaustive in terms of illnesses and milestones that it covers.
Roxana
It is an indispensable reference book for parents. It is not not a medicine book where you can find anything and with great detail. It is a book for parents that want to check or get a quick advice about behaviour and healthy concerns of their kids.

It is great specially for the first years as it gives a nice details of milestones that we have to look for. It is not as month specific as other books (such as what to expect during your baby first year)buy I like it a lot. I like the way the topics
Dae Lin
i want read it
Adrienne Jones
This well-thumbed book our household go-to guide for all things baby. It saved us dozens of phone calls, internet searches, and moments of utter panic.

Though it may sound stupid, I didn't know how to bathe or dress an infant when we came home with our son. I had only changed 1 diaper before he was born. This book helped me learn how to dress a squirmy child, taught me about common childhood illnesses, feeding, and developmental milestones. It's a smart book and a must own for total noobs.
Alexandra
I didn't read this whole book, mostly browsed it, but it's not the type of book you'd actually sit down and read cover-to-cover anyway. I checked it out from the library and will probably buy a copy of it soon so that I can have it on-hand for when questions come up. One thing that was bizarre was the illustration for how to swaddle a baby. I don't think the person who made the illustration read the text explaining how to do it. It seems like a dry book but a necessary reference.
Julia
Sep 07, 2007 Julia rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: new parents
This is a great book for new parents. I received mine as a hand-me-down from a neighbor but if I were to buy it on my own I'd get an updated version. It is not month-to-month like some other baby reference books I've seen (stages covered are longer periods) but I think this makes it more useful in actually watching your baby during those stages and anticipating milestones. Definitely dated advice in some areas but a fun, useful book in learning and watching your baby grow up.
Patrice
Well like Baby 411, this was informative (a lot of the same info actually, except that I finally know what a layette is now) and it did seperate fact and opinion. It also had the added bonus of explaining things up to five years of age. However, it is less recent than Baby 411, so it's info is less up to date and the authors are not quite so humorous or engaging. Also, the entire final third of the book is pure textbook reference on physical, social and emotional health.
Erin
Another indispensible part of my parenting library...it's not a book you sit down and read, rather it's more of a reference book (to look up your specific issue or read about your child's development at a particular age/stage).

This book was recommended by my pediatrician's office, and it's definitely been helpful for a lot of those "hmmm...I wonder if this is normal?" moments when I really didn't want to call the after-hours nurse.
Amy
We first saw this book on the bookshelf of our pediatrician's office. It can be very scary when your kid is sick, but this book totally demystifies illness and makes it normal and not quite so frightening. Also, it has very well-written sections on child development at different ages. I find it very accessible and easy to read. It is basic and maybe a little bit traditional, but it's a great basic reference book.
Kristen
This is my "Baby Bible" as Taylor calls it--my go to book for a quick answer or a quick chapter read of the months my baby's in. Best of all it was free for joining the Publix Baby Club. Basic, untrendy, up-to-date answers without too many opinions. Just bare bone facts. I've yet to see a baby book that is as basic yet comprehensive that doesn't have what this one has in it. Did I mention it was free?
Nicole Lovejoy
My mom had this book when my little brother was gowning up and recommended it to me when i got pregnant. It has been one of the best resourceful books for staying up with my child's health. Also if you have any concerns about your child, you can just go look it up and this book and see if it is anything to worry about. Very good book. My recommendation to all mothers of young children.
Teddee
Haven't looked at this in a long time. Probably keep it around as a reference book. At a certain point, as a parent, you start looking for more in depth books. Reference books like this are probably useful to new parents, and maybe even for us, but I just don't really turn to generalist books like this anymore for information on specific issues. Note: read through p248
Amy
Our pediatrician actually gave this to us when we had our first baby, and this book has proven to be a good resource. It is somewhat sterile and lacks the emotion and instinct of the Baby Book by Dr Sears, but at 2 am when I am trying to find an answer, this book usually has something for me. Accurate, clinical information from the AAP. Great stuff!
Thoraiya
So, a friend just slammed "What to Expect When You're Expecting" and I realised I haven't rated any of the baby or parenting books that I actually did like.

This one is comprehensive. Sometimes you need comprehensive and sometimes you need the short version, but when I needed something a bit more in depth, this was what I usually reached for first :)
Susiane
This is also a book with a lot of info. Its a baby encyclopedia that has everything from pregnancy to after your baby is born. I also inherited this book from my SIL. Love it. If youre someone like me who wants to know everything, this is it. It has the most up to date information from The American academy of pediatrics, so that makes me feel good.
Kyle Pennekamp
This is the official publication of the AAP, and as such, is a good thing to have in the baby reference library. Takes you through the major stages of development, and what to expect / look out for in each, with a handy guide to common problems, sicknesses, etc at the back. I'm sure I'll be coming back to this at 9 months, a year, 2 years, etc.
Dyah
lengkap kap kap! dari cara mandiin bayi, ciri perkembangan bayi per periode, sampai mengenali dan mengantisipasi berbagai penyakit anak-anak, kapan harus ke dokter, kapan harus panik..

beli di booksale mid manhattan library, setebel ini cuma sedolar. Ditemeni buku ini, ngurus baby sendirian ga perlu panik oy..senangnyaa..
Rehenuma
Apr 26, 2007 Rehenuma rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents
Really informative book on development and all the things your baby should/could be doing.. also how to deal with small medical problems and things to be concerned about. Highly recommend it for those like me who like to google everything that is happening to their baby
Ann
Really comprehensive and helpful. I read all the developmental chapters and will likely reread them as we actually reach each age and hit the milestones. The chapters on illnesses will be good resources, though not as good as having a pediatrician for a father.
Emily
An excellent overall reference book that sticks with the nuts and bolts. I appreciated reading a book that didn't get into a particular parenting philosophy but did let me know what I should be looking out for as my newborn goes through these early years.
I would recommend a copy of this, just for quick reference, although I take many of the recommendations with a grain of salt. Funniest part, "At 9 months old, your baby should be sleeping 8-12 hours straight." HAHAHA :-) Is it supposed to be a comedy?
Meg
This book is somewhat fun to follow in terms of understanding what developmental milestones your baby is going to hit when. But for the most part, I could find the same information and advice just looking it up on the internet. BabyCenter has it all.
Bekah
This is a fantastic book that goes step by step from caring for your baby to symptoms to look out for. Well written with no hidden agenda,, I really enjoyed flipping through it and know I'll be using it a lot for the next 5 years (at least)
Anti Wibawa
Sep 11, 2008 Anti Wibawa rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: new mothers
Shelves: reference-books
my office mate gave this book as a gift on my bday. i got post partum syndrom (1st child) and still not good in caring my child since then. obviously, i learn a lot from this book.. good for new mothers. until now, use the book as my manual :=P
  • Touchpoints: Birth to 3 : Your Child's Emotional and Behavioral Development
  • Your Baby and Child: From Birth to Age Five (Revised Edition)
  • The Nursing Mother's Companion
  • What to Expect the Toddler Years
  • Becoming the Parent You Want To Be
  • Child of Mine: Feeding with Love and Good Sense, Revised and Updated Edition
  • The Baby Book: Everything You Need to Know About Your Baby from Birth to Age Two
  • The Pregnancy Journal: A Day-to-Day Guide to a Healthy and Happy Pregnancy
  • The Baby Owner's Manual: Operating Instructions, Trouble-Shooting Tips & Advice on First-Year Maintenance
  • Baby and Child Care
  • Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy
  • Supernanny: How to Get the Best from Your Children
  • What's Going on in There?: How the Brain and Mind Develop in the First Five Years of Life
  • The Magic Years: Understanding & Handling the Problems of Early Childhood
  • Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child
  • Your Pregnancy & Birth
  • Baby Play: 100 Fun-Filled Activities to Maximize Your Baby's Potential
  • Baby 411: Clear Answers & Smart Advice for Your Baby's First Year
Your Baby's First Year Textbook of Neonatal Resuscitation The American Academy of Pediatrics Guide to Toilet Training The Wonder Years: Helping Your Baby and Young Child Successfully Negotiate The Major Developmental Milestones ADHD: What Every Parent Needs to Know