Start by marking “Pink Me Up” as Want to Read:
Pink Me Up

Pink Me Up

3.64  ·  Rating Details  ·  170 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
For pink-obsessed Violet Bunny, attending the Pink Girls Pink-nic and Tea Party with her mama is the best day of the year--you should see her outfit! It's always been girls-only, and pink-pink-pink. But when Mama wakes up with pink spots, the day seems ruined--until Daddy steps in to take her place. But Daddy is a boy, and not at all pink. What to do? Why, pink him up, of ...more
Published February 23rd 2010 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Pink Me Up, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pink Me Up

The Paper Bag Princess by Robert MunschThe Story of Ferdinand by Munro LeafAnd Tango Makes Three by Justin RichardsonPirate Girl by Cornelia FunkeGoblinheart by Brett Axel
Children's Books that Break Gender Stereotypes
145th out of 169 books — 68 voters
Madeline by Ludwig BemelmansThe Mystic Princesses and the Whirlpool by P.J. LaRueI Can Cook " Cake Baking" by Marika GermanisOlivia by Ian FalconerFancy Nancy by Jane O'Connor
Best little girl books
256th out of 343 books — 260 voters

More lists with this book...

Kathryn
Mar 11, 2011 Kathryn rated it really liked it
Does the world really need another pink picture book!? Now, I love pink. And I love being girly, but I admit to performing a bit of an eye-roll when I saw this one hot off the oh-so-pink presses. But, you know what, it's cute! And it is saved from being redundant by the fun twist in that it is actually DADDY who has to get "pinked up" for his daughter's Pink Girls Pink-nic when Mom is sick and can't go. It's so adorable how he bravely comes to the rescue, fun and creative when his daughter Viole ...more
Lisa Vegan
Mar 18, 2011 Lisa Vegan rated it liked it
Recommends it for: girly girls who like pink and boys & girls who aren’t so sure about pink
Recommended to Lisa by: Kathryn
Pink should be pretty. Except for the hilarious cat, Pinkie, and some of the pink and pinked-up clothes, I wasn’t a huge fan of the illustrative style. And, oh, I like pink, but a couple pages practically made my eyes hurt; luckily, just a couple.

The story is very sweet though, although I have mixed feelings about the gender issues. I do love how mama can’t go to the pink picnic because of her pink spots illness and I do like how daddy steps up, and how daddy has fun too, and how all the females
Allison
Mar 30, 2010 Allison rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Harper, Charise Mericle Pink Me Up, 40 pages, Knopf Books for Young Readers; Language~G, Sexual Content~G; Violence~G

The invitation has been on the fridge for months and the day of the Pink Girls Pink-nic has finally arrived. But when mom wakes up she is too sick to go. What will happen now? Fortunately, Dad steps in. But can Dads wear pink? Of course! Dads look smashing when they are pinked up by their daughters! This is a delightful story that takes the idea that pink is only for girls and tur
Denise
Apr 27, 2010 Denise rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
If you know fans of Fancy Nancy, Pinkalicious, etc. etc. they must have this book. When young bunny's mom gets sick and can't take her to the pink-nic, she decides "today is the worst day ever." This is a two-page spread you have to see, absolutely hilarious. When papa bunny offers to take her to her party the young, distraught girl tells him something very important "daddy, you're a boy!" As luck and ingenuity would have it, daddy gets pinked up and they have a wonderful time.
Destinee Sutton
Mar 29, 2010 Destinee Sutton rated it really liked it
Pretty cute story about a little girl bunny who seriously loves pink. She's looking forward to a special "pink-nic" day with her mom. But because her mom is sick, her dad substitutes. Can dads wear pink? Uh, heck yeah they can!
Elizabeth
Dec 30, 2015 Elizabeth added it
Shelves: picturebooks
I like that it's the mom's idea for the dad to take the girl to the picnic (because obviously, when one parent is sick the other parent is gonna fill it) and that the dad is totally like, "Boys can be pink" and has a pink tie and is amenable to the kid pinking him up even further (because obvs, if your kid wants you to play dress up, you play along).

I like that no one fusses about Daddy going to the "Pink Girls Pink-nic" -- that it's just about lots of pink and the other moms are totally affirmi
Julie
May 13, 2011 Julie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Violet wakes up and declares that it’s going to be the best day ever, as she and her mother are attending the "Pink Girls Pink-nic" today. But when she wakes her mom and she’s covered in pink spots, it turns out this is the worst day ever, because her mom is sick and they’re going to miss the pink-nic. Then her dad offers to take her, but she reminds him that he’s a boy, and “Boys are NOT pink.” Her dad doesn’t give up, though. He tells her to “Pink me up,” and with lots of creativity, she does ...more
Chrissy
Sep 02, 2011 Chrissy rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
Three stars, most of which are because I adore pink.

In a nutshell, this story really makes no sense.

A kid bunny, who happens to be playing with a walking carrot, decides to go to an all-girl pink event. In a tragic turn of events, mom bunny comes down with something resembling chicken pox. Mom bunny smears green toothpaste on her face and informs kid bunny that sadly, she must find someone else.

So kid bunny explores her options until daddy bunny declares that he is secure in his manhood and wou
Nita
Nov 11, 2014 Nita rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cute

This was a cute book to read to my baby girl. Love the suggestions at the end of the book for picking up dad.
Holly
Funny! Violet is beyond excited about going to the Pink Girls Pink-nic, but Mom is sick and can't go. So Dad offers to go, but the only pink thing he owns is a tie. Sooo, Violet "pinks him up." Very cute. (I especially like Violet's orange toy carrot and her orange cat, who does NOT want to be pinked up.) Good for a storytime w/ a pink theme, or a clothing theme, and you could pink up your own clothes as you told the story (by taping pink paper circles on your shirt, putting strips of pink tape ...more
Ashley
Jan 02, 2015 Ashley rated it really liked it
I always love the illustrations in Charise Harper's books.
Matthew
Jan 12, 2013 Matthew rated it it was ok
Shelves: daughters-books
As a father of two daughters, I appreciated a book that shows the lengths a daddy will go to for his little girl. Sometimes we have to sit in on tea parties, help dress up dolls, and rescue the princess.

One thing I didn't like: After learning her mommy was sick, the little bunny threw herself on the floor and declared it the worst day ever. It struck me as a little over-dramatic. Things do not always go as planned, and when they don't, I hope my daughters learn to handle it better than this bun
Anne
Mar 07, 2010 Anne rated it really liked it
Violet Bunny is ecstatic about going to the pink-nic and tea party with her mom. Unfortunately, her mom gets sick, so dad is going to go instead. Violet looks at him very seriously and says "Dad, I have to tell you something. You are a boy." He takes it all in stride and lets Violet "pink up" all his clothes for the pink-nic. All the other girls are so jealous and wish they could pink up their dads. Super sweet and fun illustrations.
Dolly
Aug 03, 2010 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, pets, 2010
Very cute, very pink story that shows how Dads can save the day. Our girls just loved it and we took turns reading each page - it was a real boost for our five year old to be able to read some of the sentences on her own. We enjoyed reading this book together and we've read this a couple of times.
jacky
Feb 01, 2011 jacky rated it liked it
This was read at the preschooler story time today. The story's message is that dads can fill in mom roles, even wearing pink at the "pinknic." It was fun how they pinked up the dad, and touching that he was completely willing to do so. A great book for girly girls and their fathers.
Bea Elwood
Oct 17, 2011 Bea Elwood rated it liked it
Shelves: bebe
Does a much better job than most at dispelling the notion that pink is not just for girls, that boys (like daddys) can wear and even like wearing pink. I liked the illustrations and the steps they took to make daddy pink enough to go to the Pink-nic.
Christie Suh
Mar 24, 2010 Christie Suh rated it liked it
A girl is supposed to go to a pin-themed picnic with her mom but her mom can't go because she gets sick. Her dad decides to go instead. they draw pink polka dots and put pink stickers on his clothes and have a great tme at the picnic.
Natalie
Aug 24, 2012 Natalie rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Cute little story. The mom is sick so she can't make the "pink" party. Luckily the sweet daddy fills in (although the little girl doubts his ability to get all pinked up). Yay for dads who go to great lengths for their kids!
Laurina
Apr 01, 2010 Laurina rated it really liked it
A little girl is going to "pink" party and her mom can't come, so she has to take her dad and get him pinked up for the party. Really cute! It was fun for my husband to read this to my little girl who loves pink.
I kind of love this book. It is simple, but full of the melodrama of childhood without being full of the angst of over thinking things. Just what I needed today--maybe I need something pink to wear.
Cheryl
Jul 26, 2010 Cheryl rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, pink
super cute illustrations from Charise Mericle Harper. When Mommy is too sick to take Violet to the Pink Girls Pink-Nic, Dad is a willing substitute, donning all the pink he can find.
Joella www.cinjoella.com
This will be a new favorite for the girls who love pink! (And their dads who love their pink girls!) I think my brother should read this to his daughter... :)
Kate
Jul 10, 2013 Kate rated it liked it
Shelves: storytime
A cute story for little girls who love pink and daddies willing to indulge them. I liked that the book reinforced and shattered gender roles at the same time.
Paula
Nov 26, 2012 Paula rated it liked it
When Mama is too sick to go to the Pink Girls Pink-nic with Violet, Daddy offers to take her place but, first, he needs to "pink-up" his clothes.
Erin
Mar 02, 2011 Erin rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A sweet story of Dad coming to the rescue after Mom gets sick and about creatively our little bunny gets him ready for the pink-nic.
Peacegal
Apr 04, 2013 Peacegal rated it liked it
Cute book, if a little garish. I hope no real youngsters ruin their parents' clothing with paint and stickers as a result of this story!
Tina Bartholoma
Jul 20, 2010 Tina Bartholoma rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
rabbits, color pink, fathers, show ingenuity and creative problem solving, pink, pink, and more pink, father and daughter
Jeanne
Mar 21, 2011 Jeanne rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
When Momma gets pink spots and is too sick to go to the Pink-nic, Daddy has to step in . . . after Violet pinks him up.
Inspired Kathy
Mar 23, 2010 Inspired Kathy rated it really liked it
More like 3.5 stars. My daughter liked it simply because she likes pink. Terrible writing but cute concept.
Maria Goldstein
Such a cute book! A perfect gift for Father's Day--so Daddy has an "excuse" to read to his little girl!
  • Forever Friends