Start by marking “The Saints and Sinners of Okay County: A Novel” as Want to Read:
The Saints and Sinners of Okay County: A Novel

The Saints and Sinners of Okay County: A Novel

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  159 ratings  ·  31 reviews
In the tradition of Fannie Flagg and Lorna Landvik, The Saints and Sinners of Okay County is a heartfelt and compelling debut novel with an unforgettable heroine. It’s the story of a woman whose ability to see the futures of others leads her right back into her own troubled past.

It’s the summer of 1976, and it seems like the entire state of Oklahoma is celebrating America’
Published December 18th 2007 by Ballantine Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Saints and Sinners of Okay County, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Saints and Sinners of Okay County

Liza
Aletta is a mother of (eventually) 4 with a husband who can't keep it in his pants, or at home with his wife. The story starts off with Aletta wondering where this wayward husband of hers is and how she can keep up with the bills with him gone. She decides as a last resort to do what she she had been suppressing for your years...use her psychic abilities to bring in some money.

Just as things are getting good, that good for nuthin' husband comes back, removes her sign and makes them a happy famil
May 18, 2012 Mary rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes historical fiction
Recommended to Mary by: Library Book Sale
It is the summer of 1976, and it seems that the entire state of Oklahoma is celebrating America's bicentennial, meanwhile, in the tiny town of Okay, Aletta Honor is just barely struggling to get through each day. She hasn't seen her husband, Jimmy in weeks, she is pregnant with her fourth child and she can just imagine where her hound dog of a husband has parked his red-white-and-blue van - probably in front of the nearest gin mill or outside the home of the closest, warmest, most feminine form ...more
Rachel
This was an interesting novel about dealing with past hurts and present problems, about life in a small town, and about a woman with four kids who turns her psychic gift into a successful business after divorcing her alcoholic and abusive husband. I disagree that being a psychic is okay, but I found the book to be interesting and well-written despite that.
Keri
I ate this book up, probably mostly because I hadn't had a chance to read a book for a little while. I liked her visual descriptions and enjoyed the storyline. The resolution seemed a bit rushed though, particularly the part about her relationship with her mother. About 80 percent of the book was third-person limited through the main character's eyes. The other 20 percent was jarringly told through other characters. The shifts always caught me off guard, but I learned to just accept them. The em ...more
Cindy
I shoulda been doing this 'n' I shoulda been doing that. I shoulda been knocking out my to-do list but I couldn't put this book down! It was that good!
Glenna
I thought the book started off pretty well, but then the time jumps began. They were sudden jumps, one paragraph in the current time and the next one in the past, with no extra space or break line or difference in font to indicate the change. It was so distracting that I just quit reading.
Vickie
Easy read. Not thought provoking. Pure entertainment.
Oona Stieglitz
Realistic, complex characters in a small town. An ending that ties up all the threads but manages to feel genuine. Great descriptive writing, whether conversations between children and adults, riding on the back of a motorcycle, domestic violence, feeling forgiveness. I especially enjoyed when the seemingly powerless protagonist did gain some power. A current running through, though not exploitive or sappy, is that friends make the unbearable bearable. Historical? Not really. It stuck me as univ ...more
Dianne
A story set in rural (and I do mean rural) OK, young housewife with three children and one on the way has a philandering, abusive husband. She also has a strained relationship with her mother, due to her psychic abilities, which her mother has decided are of the devil. It's an interesting journey where Aletta has to use her psychic abilities in order to keep food on the table, stirring up the Baptists in town but eventually getting her national recognition. Excellent storytelling.
Amy
I really enjoyed this book! Interesting and thought-provoking, I thought it was well-written. It had an interesting storyline, and Aletta proved to be an honest open character that I came to adore. This was Dayna Dunbar's first novel, but I'm looking for more great things from her.
Kelly
Set in the 70s in a small town in Oklahoma, this book revolves around a pregnant mother with 3 other children and a husband who has left her for an early midlife crisis. She does the best she can and enterprises on her gift of predicting the future. Great characters and a fun fast read.
Brandi
I liked it - it was a sweet and easy read, entertaining without requiring me to think too much. The plot was a little predictable but life is like that. We all grow up, we all overcome obstacles, we all make decisions on who we are and who we want to be. Fun book to read.
Mary
I love discovering good authors who are new to me, and this is one of those. The book is a first novel, and I'm looking forward to the next. Saints and Sinners captured small-town America with a bit of a quirky approach. It's a quick, light and fun read.
Carol N
This author has a gift of bringing her character to life while developing a warm-hearted, touching, funny novel about being a strong woman that is true to herself. Good summer read - reminiscence of Billie Letts
Becca
An all-around good read. I enjoyed the characters, even the rotten ones. The flashbacks were sometimes a bit abrupt and I kind of wanted a little more from the ending, but I still recommend this one.
OK Dad
My wife grew up in same town with DD and is friends with her still. Reading this book provided some insight into my wife's adolescent years in her small Oklahoma town. DD can write, but good.
Licia
Just what I hoped a cute book. I was drawn to it because it takes place in Oklahoma. I found the readings the most interesting. I was bored and skipped over the growing up and ghost sections.
JoDee
Light weight story but a real time capsule to the Bicentential. I have been to the real town the book's story is based on and the book brought it to life, small town Oklahoma 1976.
Mary
Practically read the entire book in one sitting. Dunbar does a great job crafting a wonderful heroine, a time of importance, and a glimpse into Oklahoma. Well done, Okie.
Lee Ann
This was a fun read, I will read the second book of this series. Full of "good ole" small town Oklahoma people, many southerners we have met in our lifetimes.
Robin
Really fun read. I found myself laughing often. Dubar did a nice job with this one and I'm planning to read more of her books in the future
Deb
A fast and entertaining read. Kind of typical modern poor southern undone family who overcomes. Kathy and Pam, you might like it.
Kitty Tomlinson
Psychic in OK in 1976 has to come to terms with her natural talents, straying husband and life in general.
Penny
This was a fun read; just what I needed to get myself back into making reading time a priority.
Julie
Very similar to a Fanny Flagg style book. Interesting story and enjoyable characters.
Karen Klein
Really enjoyed this! Just a nice easy read - funny, sad all rolled into one.
Dola
Started out a little hokey but gets better as you go.
Melissa
Enjoyed this book, and read the sequel.
Courtney
I liked this book, sweet and fun.
  • Still Talking
  • The Desert Crop
  • Behind Closed Doors
  • So Happy Together
  • A Song for the Asking
  • Temporary Sanity (Marty Nickerson, #2)
  • All the Numbers
  • A Ruling Passion
  • The Water Giver: The Story of a Mother, a Son, and Their Second Chance
  • Summer of the Red Wolf
The Wings That Fly Us Home: A Novel The Wings That Fly Us Home The Wings That Fly Us Home: A Novel Keep On Believing!