Start by marking “Anne Frank” as Want to Read:
Anne Frank
Preview

Anne Frank

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  175 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Anne Frank's diary telling the story of her years in hiding from the Nazis has affected millions of people. But what was she like as a small girl, at home with her family and friends; at play and at school? And how did an ordinary little girl come to live such an extraordinary and tragically short life? In the first half of the book we meet Anne as a small child growing up ...more
Published June 2nd 2005 by Hutchinson (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Anne Frank, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anne Frank

Bernice
This is the first time I have seen the story of Anne Frank in a picture book format. The story is a narration of Anne Frank's life from when she was a little girl to the time she was hidden away in the annex during the war. Although it is a picture book, the story and authenticity of what happened were real. I could feel myself as I read the intense emotions of what I knew was going to happen. Although it is story of just one girl, it gives the reader an idea of what life was like for Jewish fam ...more
Kim Paral
This book is a great picture biography, and would be very appropriate for an introduction novel into the World War II unit. It has wonderful pictures throughout the book that share the life of Anne Frank. I learned about Anne Frank when I was in Elementary School, and remember that it was used as an introduction as to what the war was about, and painted a picture of who the Nazis and Jews were during that time period.

This book begins with facts that include where and when Anne Frank was born and
Nevada Libert
what a good book, i love her bravery.
Whitney Church
I really enjoyed reading the book. The book is a picture book biography, I think it would be appropriate for students in fifth grade and up. The voice the author uses is appropriate for children and includes lots of words that can be used to expand a student's vocabulary. I recently learned about a program called VocabGrabber that would be helpful in pulling out vocabulary words.

I wasn't sure what to expect reading the story, whether it would be about her time in hiding, or something else. The
Kelly
Kelly Wiegand
April 7, 2015
EDL54500 Library Materials for Children and Youth

Title: Anne Frank

Author: Josephine Poole

Plot: Anne was a young girl who was German and Jewish. This book tells the story of her and her family's struggle to be discrete during the time of Adolph Hitler's reign.

Setting: Germany 1912; Germany, Netherlands, Amsterdam 1942; Annex

Characters: Anne Frank; Adolph Hitler; Citizens of Germany

Point-of-View: Third-Person

Themes: Hatred; Intolerance; Religious Persecution; Kindness

St
Kara Walker
In this short rendition of Anne Frank's life, author Josephine Poole breathes life into the troubles that Jewish people had to face in Europe during World War II. Anne Frank had a seemingly normal life until she was discriminated against for being a Jew. Hitler declared that Jews were the reason that Germany was so poor after World War I. Frank had to deal with being bullied at school, to having to wear a gold star, to running away and hiding in an annex for years to avoid deportation to concent ...more
Deanna Vaughn
This is a great story with wonderful pictures about the life of Anne Frank. It begins with when and where Anne was born, along with who her parents were. It then tells the story of the rein of Hitler and what was happening to the Jewish people. Anne's family must hide away so they are not taken to a concentration camp. The story discusses what happened to Anne while she was hiding in an Attic for almost two years. This story could really show children the hardship that Anne and her family went t ...more
(NS) Laura Jackson
This is a story about the life of Anne Frank. Anne Frank was a young Jewish girl who lived in Germany during World War II. Anne was faced with many challenges and difficulties because she was Jewish. When she was a young girl she had to go and live in an attic in order to try and hide from the Nazis. During this time she met and fell in love with a man named Peter. One day a horrible break-in occurred where the Nazi soldiers raided the annex and took Anne away. The diary that Anne had been keepi ...more
Meri
Anne Frank is one of those books that must be read. But since it is more than 400 pages long and written by a teenage girl, it gets a little boring at some points. Like in the halfway she kept of talking about how mush in love was she with Peter. But she was a girl who lived as a jew during the holocaust and sadly she didnt make it. A tru sad story i would say. Because we need to understand the had times from the past, this is a book for everyone to read.
Rochelle Steenberg
This familiar story is written clearly and illustrated beautiffuly, the pictures telling the story as well. Illustrated by Angela Barrett and written by Josephine Poole in a large 10" x 10" each page has an important fact to tell concerning Anne Franks short life before she dies of thyphoid in a German concentration camp.
babyhippoface
“The story of Anne Frank begins with an ordinary little girl, someone you might sit next to in class.” This opening line of Poole and Barrett’s picture-book biography of Anne Frank sets the theme that resonates throughout--that the Franks were ordinary people caught in an horrific situation. Barrett's realistic portraits advance that theme, expertly portraying their moments of family happiness and fear. The muted colors create hauntingly lovely images. While the historical information is not in- ...more
Madison
The book takes you through the life of Anne Frank from childhood to when her dad was given Anne's diary by a close friend.

It basically tells the same story of every other children's book about Anne Frank in that it tells about her life as a child, wearing a yellow star on her outerwear, hiding in the secret annex, and being taken away by the Nazi's.

Although I am fascinated by the Holocaust and I believe that all children should learn about this time in history, I do not think that this is one of
Brianna Craft
This is a great picture book for older children because it tells a true story about Anne Frank and her experience in the Holocaust. This is great for teaching children the history of the Holocaust because it gives just enough detail so that the kids can really capture what happened. It doesn't really go into the more shocking details of the events that took place, and I think that is good for the age group that it's intended for.
Shelli
This was a wonderfully done picture book describing the life of Anne Frank, a young girl who sadly didn’t live to see how much her writing continues to affect the world. The illustrations were flawless, capturing each member of the Frank family perfectly. A perfect addition to any school library, especially for those not interested in reading the actual diary or for those who want to revisit a young friend.
Rachel
A great read aloud to talk about Anne Frank. It explains her life and the tragic tale of her and her family. I used this as read aloud for my students to help talk about a person they could relate to someone who hid during the Holocaust. This is a good alternative to the chapter book but also great to use to compare. It has beautiful words and pictures that are heart felt to the reader.
Abbi Kraus
This book is comprehensive for children trying to understand the Holocaust. The colors used in this book really reflect the coldness and severity of this historical event. It shows an entire family going through this together, and how they supported each other and stood up for what they believed in. This book really gives the feeling that any other book about the Holocaust would.
Chenoa Brown
-Good read for students in grades 3-5.
-Biography of Anne Frank while the rise of power of Hitler.
-Her dad is the only surviving member of their family after the war. He is left with her memories that are captured in her diary which later become public for everyone to know.
-Illustrations are great and capture the mood of Anne and the characters within each page.
Aina
A wonderful picture book about Anne Frank. It gives a great representation of the Holocaust without making the young reader too upset with the details.
Debbie Hoskins
Angela Barrett is just the best. She does romanticize, but what's wrong with beauty? Ethereal illustrations, gorgeous book, text does not detract from the illustrations. Lovely book.
When I think of Mary being a 13 year old Jewish girl, I think of Anne Frank. Last year I painted a picture of Anne Frank for my Christmas card.

Tricia
For children who read Diary of a Young Girl and are interested in more backstory (and even those who haven't yet read it), this picture book biography offers a bit more including what life was like for Jewish people in the years leading up to the war. True to any holocaust literature, sadness reverberates throughout the story.
Casey
This book is about a girl who was a jew and had to leave everything behind(including her cat) when the holocaust came. She had to live in an old attic with 5 adults and 2 other children.

I feel this book is ok and could be more detailed.

I recommend this book to anyone who is studying the holocaust.
Megan
A good overview of Anne Frank's life and a good introduction to the Holocaust. However, the little hope given at the end of the book is not enough for young children. I'd use this with middle school students as a pre-teaching activity before reading The Diary of Anne Frank or other Holocaust literature.
Ubalstecha
Beautiful picture book version of Anne's story. This is a summary of the diary, written for a juior audience. Heartbreaking scene when Anne is captured by the Nazis.

A must for teachers trying to teach the holocaust to their students.
Samantha
I really enjoyed this biography of Anne Frank's life. It tells her story in a story format with lots of pictures. The facts and information is all accurate and provides a good representation of the events of the holocaust for children.
Brandi North
I have never seen a picture book about Anne Frank. This book describes her life and what she went through . It also introduces slot about the holocaust. I wouldn't use it for young children I would use it for more middle school children!
Alessondrahaskell
I liked this biography a lot. I always find Anne Franks life interesting. Her journey was fascinating and very tragic. Her diary disclosed so many amazing facts about the events in the holocaust.
Becky Kondritz
This illustrated book would be an appropriate intro book for younger students--maybe fourth or fifth. It alludes to the evils of the Holocaust without being too overt for this age level.
Holly
This wonderful biography is great for younger readers or struggling readers. It tells of ANne Frank's life in simple text and wonderful pictures. (Biography/Informational)
Mina Saeed
This book talks about the life of anne frank, and how they had to hide for 2 years. Then later they were found, and sent to concentration camps.
Rebecca
I would provide this for students studying historical figures. I recommend this book for 3rd-5th grades.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Brave Girl: Clara and the Shirtwaist Makers' Strike of 1909
  • One Thousand Tracings: Healing the Wounds of World War II
  • Panda Kindergarten
  • Frida
  • Miss Moore Thought Otherwise: How Anne Carroll Moore Created Libraries for Children
  • The Noisy Paint Box: The Colors and Sounds of Kandinsky's Abstract Art
  • Terrible Things: An Allegory of the Holocaust
  • The Stamp Collector
  • Lincoln Tells a Joke: How Laughter Saved the President (and the Country)
  • Elizabeth Leads the Way: Elizabeth Cady Stanton and the Right to Vote
  • Lap Dancing for Mommy: Tender Stories of Disgust, Blame and Inspiration
  • Gifts from the Sea
  • I Feel Better with a Frog in My Throat: History's Strangest Cures
Josephine Poole is the renowned author of several books for children and young adults. Her first book was published in 1961, and she has also written extensively for television. She lives in Somerset.

More about Josephine Poole...
Snow White Joan of Arc Moon Eyes Jack And The Beanstalk The Loving ghosts.