Start by marking “A White Merc with Fins” as Want to Read:
A White Merc with Fins

A White Merc with Fins

The dazzling debut of a new voice in fiction, this is the funny, unexpected story of a balding, thickening 28-year-old who, having spent the bulk of his twenties avoiding a career in the quasi-black market of London's temp agencies, now finds himself not only without a job, but seriously without prospects. How he solves this problem is the action that propels this witty, a ...more
Published 1996 by Jonathan Cape

To ask other readers questions about A White Merc with Fins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A White Merc with Fins

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. ThompsonNaked Lunch by William S. BurroughsThe Combinations by Louis ArmandDo Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. DickFight Club by Chuck Palahniuk
Cult fiction
221 books — 164 voters
The Silver Chair by C.S. LewisOne Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by Dr. SeussMeeting With Christ and Other Poems by Deepak ChaswalGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussIsland of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell
Colors
325 books — 31 voters

More lists with this book...

Neil
Mar 11, 2012 Neil rated it liked it
Shelves: owned

I was honestly surprised at this. At the start I thought it was merely going to be a jolly romp; a comedic heist novel with an obvious film script in mind. No problem; that's why I bought it.
But the author's investigation of the hopes, fears, and deep psyche of the main character is insightful and fascinating.
Yes, it's a fairly funny movie/book. But it's not one I'm going to give away. Very nearly a four-star.
Rob
Apr 30, 2011 Rob rated it it was amazing
Before I start, I must declare an interest. Jim Hawes was my German tutor while I was at university and he's a great guy.

I also know that there's a humongous wadge of autobiography in this book, even down to some of my friends being featured.

However, that doesn't get away from the fact this is a brilliant slice of 90s lad lit, with a rollicking plot and Tarantino-style of writing.

He's never bettered it since.
Mark Speed
Feb 20, 2014 Mark Speed rated it it was ok
I'm amazed to read the blurb 'dazzling debut'. This was rammed full of two-dimensional characters thrown together in a pretty thin plot. Quite how it earned the (claimed) status of 'cult' is beyond me. In terms of characterisation, it looks like the author's attended a Creative Writing class on the matter and taken on board the basics but not realised that characters also have to be expanded from their defining characteristics. In the intervening years I keep thinking back to this one character ...more
Emma
Apr 25, 2007 Emma rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: no one over the age of 20
This was one of the first pieces of Brit-pop fiction to be published in the early nineties and I was totally evangelical about it - I think I must have bought about a dozen copies for friends and anyone I thought would enjoy it. I tried to re-read it recently and was disappointed by its predictability, but at the time I know it was ground-breaking, both in terms of style and content. And the description of Suzy rolling a joint on the steering wheel of her mini while driving like a maniac around ...more
Ben
Aug 10, 2012 Ben rated it it was ok
Shelves: c20-novels
James Hawes' 1996 debut novel, a story about a heist, set in London. I read it 10 years ago and it provided very little amusement and not many enduring memories. Highly derivative (it published 2 years after Pulp Fiction and 5 years after Reservoir Dogs and it tries to bring their action and mood to a grittier, grimmer London) and full of cliched, two-dimensional characters. I'd say there's also something of Hornby in there as well but, again, this is of a lower order.
Roel Torres
Oct 07, 2007 Roel Torres rated it it was amazing
(Okay, I am glad to see the outstanding average rating this book has received from the goodreads community. It helps reaffirm my faith in the book and this site...)

A crisp caper novel. Very influential to my own personal writing style. I re-read it every couple of years just to refresh my appreciation for it. Highest recommendation.
Godzilla
Jul 24, 2008 Godzilla rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, quirky, 2008
Hmmm - this hasn't dated too well in my eyes. I remember reading it and enjoying it first time round. This time I felt the structure was unwieldy and the build up to "The Plan" was drawn out for what it actually turns out to be.

There are some good observations and humour interspersed, but it didn't make me turn the page as I'd like.
Alistair
this is a fun read where pulp fiction meets reservoir dogs and is based around a heist in london . very contemporary and fast paced with many acidic digressions about people and life in general . i don't know whether it is any good and readers of this type of fiction may well find it old hat . to an old hat like me it was an exciting read .
AKT
Jan 07, 2011 AKT rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Andy: 3.6 Peaks: ...is easy for me...
Jim: 3.6 Peaks and a very flat tummy.
Chad: 3 Peaks and sex with Suzy next to the garden weasel.
Noel: 3.3 Peaks: Girl with Scottish accent and a bank job--who could ask for more.
Scott: 3.4 Peaks: Lock, Stock and receding hairline.
Seamus: 3.4 Peaks: A smorgasbord: The IRA, the MC, the flat stomach and Tim Roth's bloodstained tie.
Purple
Reasonable pulp fiction. Nothing extraordinary here - enjoyable in a bland sort of way. You can pretty much see where things are going. There's a few nice conversations spread throughout, but the heist plot is nothing new. It certainly doesn't live up to the Reservoir Dogs comparisons that the cover boasts about. That's not surprising though.

Additionally (and superficially) I hate the cover.
Tovah Aho
Mar 10, 2008 Tovah Aho rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If there is a time and a place for every book, when a freind gave this to me that was the right time.. long ago in Boston, for some reason I needed it.. Now its no longer relevent.. but then.....
Kis
Oct 14, 2009 Kis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Ees easy for you!"

Disappointment is funny and universal, and makes sane people do crazy things. LOVED this book.
Summer
Aug 23, 2007 Summer rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: lovers of english heist fiction
This is one of my most favorite books ever. It's a very snarky, pop, english crime heist. I love the rants and the game of leaving earth.
Neal
Mar 30, 2008 Neal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a smart, funny book. It is a British bank job book written with a lot of humor. Think kind of like the Italian job or Ocean's 11. The "plan" is worth the wait.
Shanna
Shanna rated it it was ok
Jan 05, 2017
Dean Arnold
Dean Arnold rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2017
Iain Hanley
Iain Hanley rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2013
Tracey Sinclair
Tracey Sinclair rated it liked it
Jun 24, 2012
Xiashuo Lin
Xiashuo Lin rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2016
Steve
Steve rated it it was amazing
Oct 14, 2012
Shawn
Shawn rated it liked it
Apr 27, 2016
Brian
Brian rated it really liked it
May 17, 2011
Jerome Price
Jerome Price rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2014
Remi
Remi rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2012
Håkan
Håkan rated it it was amazing
Sep 27, 2011
Fullmetalwriter
Fullmetalwriter rated it liked it
Jun 24, 2013
Ben Fisher
Ben Fisher rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2012
Andrew Hill
Andrew Hill rated it it was ok
Feb 11, 2017
Ian Galloway
Ian Galloway rated it liked it
Oct 02, 2013
Y_S
Y_S rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2011
  • Human Punk
  • Bleeding London
  • Tutti giù per terra
  • L'elenco telefonico di Atlantide
  • Il centravanti è stato assassinato verso sera
  • God Is a Bullet
  • The Penguin Book Of American Short Stories
  • Dog Eat Dog
  • Achille piè veloce
  • Lord of the Barnyard: Killing the Fatted Calf and Arming the Aware in the Cornbelt
  • Fango