Start by marking “Wacana Kuasa/Pengetahuan: Wawancara Pilihan dan Tulisan-Tulisan Lain 1972-1977” as Want to Read:
Wacana Kuasa/Pengetahuan: Wawancara Pilihan dan Tulisan-Tulisan Lain 1972-1977

Wacana Kuasa/Pengetahuan: Wawancara Pilihan dan Tulisan-Tulisan Lain 1972-1977

4.12  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,883 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
Michel Foucault has become famous for a series of books that have permanently altered our understanding of many institutions of Western society. He analyzed mental institutions in the remarkable Madness and Civilization; hospitals in The Birth of the Clinic; prisons in Discipline and Punish; and schools and families in The History of Sexuality. But the general reader as we ...more
Published August 2002 by Bentang Budaya (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Wacana Kuasa/Pengetahuan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wacana Kuasa/Pengetahuan

Michael Burnam-fink
Any scholar in the wide array of disciplines, approaches, and questions which might be encompassed by the term 'critique' has to deal with the legacy of Michel Foucault. In reading Foucault, two questions are always foremost: "How do I explain this to someone else?" And "What the hell is Foucault saying?" Knowledge/Power serves as an adequate aide to answering both these questions, although it does not quite manage to stand on its own.

A collection of interviews and lectures through the mid-1970
Scott Gates
Dec 07, 2011 Scott Gates rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For hundreds of years the trend in the arts and philosophy in the West has been towards daily life and subjectivity, that is, extolling the importance of actual lived experience day-to-day. This is of course tied in with the bourgeois revolutions, the rise of democracies—or what passes for them—in the West, and the ongoing deterioration of shared communal/religious values. The ownership of a daily life puts everyone on equal footing. You may not hunt rare forms of geese in the marshy regions of ...more
Andrew
I always like reading books of interviews-- they give us the chacne to see a thinker play each card as it lays, and I'm remembering some excellent sets of interviews with Said and Deleuze.

As the title suggests, most of the lectures and interviews here deal with Foucault's conception of power, which, despite its centrality to his theory, seems to be widely misunderstood, simplified, distorted, depoliticized, psychoanalyzed, etc. It's really a rather remarkable and complex concept, and one the way
David McCormick
Dec 24, 2012 David McCormick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After struggling with 'Discipline and Punish' I read this book and I think it makes a great introduction to Foucault. especially his ideas on on the prison. Its also fun to read because he more than once backs his Leftist interviewers into uncomfortable corners on the desirability of the state administering justice. Why must the state intervene in the form of courts and trials? Why does the only acceptable manner of conflict resolution within a community involve the state as mediator: at best bl ...more
Tasniem Sami
من فترة كنت لقيت دة
Image and video hosting by TinyPicالنص
اكيد مش من الكوميك ستريب الاصلي بتاع calvin and hobbes
بيبقي مُصمم قرر استخدام حيلة اختلاف السياق ، عشان يحط جملة مضمونها صادم وسوداوي علي لسان شخصية شكلها برئ ومُسالم .. حيلة انتشرت مؤخراً خصوصاً مع شخصيات الكوميك ستربس
المُهم ان الكوميك حلو :D
ساعتها فعلاً حاولت أدقق في موضوع "القيمة " خصوصاً ان الموضوع دة بقي من اكتر المواضيع حساسية بالذات في الجانب الاجتماعي ، لا في الحياة كلها حتي الجوانب الاقتصادية منها ، لدرجة ان ساعات المفاضلة بين الاشياء او الاشخاص او المواضيع
Zackrid
This was a heck of a thing to get through.

Michel Foucault was a philosopher or philosophical historian who spent two decades looking into the history and workings of power: specifically, bourgeois capitalist power. He wrote a series of books on various institutions (medicine, prisons, families and sexuality), all of them examining how power worked through those institutions.
This book holds a collection of interviews, discussions and lectures that pick freely from different parts of Foucault's wo
Roberta Villalon
foucault...what can i say...he's the best...i can't stop reading his work and rediscovering the world....
May
This particular work covers a broad range of Foucault's writings and is ideal for someone who hoping to get a general understanding of his work before delving in further. What's wonderful about Foucault is that his works are approachable even to non-academics. There's not an egregious over-use of italicized jargon. He's trying to get his point across, not impress the reader with his superior intelligence.

While I think the dialogue of power has evolved since Foucault's first writings, I would sa
Mr.
Oct 07, 2008 Mr. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent preliminary introduction to the thought of French philosopher Michel Foucault, who was situated at the forefront of French post-modernity and post-structuralism during the 1960's, grouped with other intellectuals such as Derrida, Lacan, Althusser, and Delueze.

For Foucault, (as it exists in modern societies) power is not an entity to be acquired, it is an instrument that is continually exercised. Power operates as knowledge through discourse, confession, observation, surveillance, etc.
Kyle
May 06, 2012 Kyle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
They are just a collection of Foucault's interviews. He is lucid insofar as he is chatting to folks; they really press him to clarify his thoughts and work to clear up ambiguities or common misreadings and it in this way it points to where his concerns actually lie. He is being political insofar as he is chatting with Maoists and discussing what to do with his thought. The opening interview is about popular justice, the role of the state, and the people's will. He ends up taking a very quasi-ana ...more
Gabi Smith
Feb 28, 2013 Gabi Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Power/Knowledge is an extremely dense collection of Foucault's ideas about knowledge, power, truth, government, and various other topics. It begins with a discussion on popular justice and the power wielded by the judiciary system, ends with a discussion on racism and child-rearing, and spans numerous subjects.

One thing that's difficult to read about this book (something I didn't like, I guess) is the amount of context it requires. While I suppose this will always be an issue with being a young
Kevin Kelley
Jan 30, 2015 Kevin Kelley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Some of these interviews act as summaries for his larger works, others address specific issues/themes that did not receive as much attention in those works, and (perhaps my favorite), some interviews are retrospective discussions of how his thinking changed over time when faced with new challenges, particularly with the nature of power.
Zak Brown
May 04, 2014 Zak Brown rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good insofar as giving character to the social and political conclusions of Foucault's work. The discussion with the Maoists in the beginning is very interesting and perhaps the most interesting interview in the entire book. Really gives you a glimpse into the personal dispositions of Michel Foucault.
Mugwump Jism
A collection of scattered works; nowhere near the strongest case for Foucault's perspectives. The argument between him and Chomsky available on YouTube explains the thinker so much more succinctly than this anthology.
John Wilson
I'm actually reading the French version (Philosophie: anthologie, in Folio) not on this site. Foucault is a lively writer and sparkles with keenness. I want to read him in French because I want to hear his voice - his penetrating articulation.
Adam
As usual with Foucault, I just wish he would give me reasons to buy into what he's saying that don't just consist in my predisposition to agree with him on some things (and disagree on others).

"Truth and Power," for instance, gives me just as much reason to believe its assertions as any text that would insist on there being a giant pink invisible untouchable elephant that holds the entire universe in its sway and permeates every facet of our being does.

K, it's not quite that bad, and I'm such
Scott
May 19, 2008 Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first experience with Michel Foucault and I've just begun reading his debate with the Maoists on the topic of "popular justice". So far, his preoccupation with morality as it is "shaped" by the social class structure and the different ways in which these classes carry out "justice" upon one-another seems very Nietzschean.

I can relate to one poster who said "anarchists will appreciate Foucault's discussion on popular justice." From the small amount I've read, Foucault definitely seems
Daniel
Jun 10, 2008 Daniel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
On the one hand, it was good and it was funny. On the other hand, I'm not certain who actually benefits from the book.

In it he references perhaps 5 other books that he has written, of which I had read about 4. For the comments on the books I was familiar with, the pieces were somewhat interesting and occasionally helpful but mostly repetitive. The comments on the books I had not read assumed that I had read it, and therefore found it slightly incomprehensible. So I'm not sure for whom this book
Neil Turner
His ideas about power are the most abstract with the only exception being those about truth.
Adam
Oct 09, 2008 Adam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best overview (by the man himself) of Foucault's later intellectual projects of power/knowledge relations and how humans become subjects. It is all his own lectures and interviews where you can quickly familiarize yourself with his theories on the concern with the inter-relationship between power and knowledge, which makes one float ideas of subject/object relations in any area of study in the social sciences that one is interested. For the Foucault beginner "Two Lectures", "Truth and Power", an ...more
Ruhat alp
Jan 04, 2014 Ruhat alp rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Modern iktidar çocuğu okulla, hastayı hastaneyle, deliyi tımarhaneyle, askeri orduyla, suçluyu hapishaneyle kuşatarak bireyselleştirmiş, kaydetmiş, sayısal hale getirmiş, egemen olmuştur.

michel foucault

Katılmamak elde değil.Nietzsche ve Fuko iktidarı ameliyat etmiş ve dahiyane bir şekilde çözümlemişler.Marxın kategorik ve genellemeci yaklaşımından çok öte..
Ilana
Nov 16, 2013 Ilana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I often felt a little bit lost as a casual reader unfamiliar with Foucault's writings. I suspect this book would be great for those who have been previously exposed to his publications, but it was definitely a dense read as a stand-alone book. I love his political/philosophocal thought, but I would definitely recommend reading the primary literature if you haven't yet. If you have already read Crime and punishment, the history of sexuality, etc, this book will absolutely be a great reference to ...more
Jared Colley
Another first rate collection of Foucault's essays & interviews. This book covers work from the latter part of his career. The presentation is somewhat fragmented, but certain interviews (like "Truth and Power") are absolutely central to gaining a clearer understanding of what Foucault means when speaking about the mechanisms of power. A must read for anyone interested in the perplexing notion of "power/knowledge" as given to us by the great 20th century French philosopher.
ThienVinh
Dec 14, 2009 ThienVinh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: social-theory
Alright, so Foucault is pretty badass. But I have to admit that he's hard to understand. Half of the ssays in the book are selected interviews. His conceptualization of the opaqueness/pervasiveness of power, and now certain knowledges are subjugated demonstrates that he's a genius. I do wish though that he did write more about resistance and repression, but perhaps he was just leaving room for other French intellectuals to build from his work.
Abderrazak Baddou
Aug 22, 2013 Abderrazak Baddou rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a nice collection of lectures and interviews by & with Foulcault. They might be more condensed than his books, but they summarize his whole philosophy on power and many other topics. It's an update of his philosophy where Foucault 'corrects' and reorient many of his earlier concepts.
Good to read but it need prerequisites on some philosophies of the 18th century mainly, otherwise it's a good book.
Nancy
Jan 08, 2010 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was one of my required readings last semester. Foucault's political philosophy is that man is controlled by institutions of power. Man cannot excape these institutions that have developed since the 19th century. I don't agree with his form of political idealogy but can see how man has become part of many institutions and will not change. I hope to read his book Discipline and Punishment some day.
Tosh
Nov 22, 2007 Tosh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: for those who are curious about the structures of prisions, etc via history
Michel Foucault is a historian of sorts who studies 'power' in the framwork of prisons, mental hospitals, and even sexaulity. I find his text hard going reading wise, but all the interviews I have read with him are very clear and he's a fascinating character out of the whole French 60's philospher thingy-wingy. For
matt

Quite a Junior Year Philosophy class was spent on this book, in particular. Glad I've been exposed to it, glad I know some of it, but I'm wary of getting into Foucault's work for reasons that have to do with the somewhat creepy and pervy and, er, 'post-human' discourse he seems to get all hog-wild on...
Mfalco65
Jan 16, 2009 Mfalco65 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great Postmodern thinker. Although his reasoning often was a little too deductive, but he always knew how to create compelling arguments about any range of topics — whether it was sex, power relationships, incarceration and so on. This book is a great collection of his work on power.
Andy
May 23, 2007 Andy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think I read some of the stuff out of here or one of the Foucoult collections. Stuff is a trip. I like thinking about how reason is as imaginary as anything. I've been wanting to read his stuff on insurance but haven't quite gotten around to it. Maybe I never will. I guess we'll see.
  • Michel Foucault: Beyond Structuralism and Hermeneutics
  • Limited Inc
  • Outline of a Theory of Practice
  • Foucault
  • Hegemony and Socialist Strategy: Towards a Radical Democratic Politics
  • Reading Capital
  • The Passion of Michel Foucault
  • The Structural Transformation of the Public Sphere: An Inquiry Into a Category of Bourgeois Society
  • The Dialogic Imagination: Four Essays
  • In Other Worlds: Essays in Cultural Politics
  • Metapolitics
  • The German Ideology
Michel Foucault was a French philosopher, social theorist and historian of ideas. He held a chair at the Collège de France with the title "History of Systems of Thought," and lectured at the University at Buffalo and the University of California, Berkeley.

Foucault is best known for his critical studies of social institutions, most notably psychiatry, medicine, the human sciences and the prison sys
More about Michel Foucault...

“I'm struck by the difficulty I had in formulating it. When I think back now, I ask myself what else it was that I was talking about in Madness and Civilization or The Birth of the Clinic, but power? Yet I'm perfectly aware that I scarcely ever used the word and never had such a field of analyses at my disposal. I can say that this was an incapacity linked undoubtedly with the political situation in which we found ourselves. It is hard to see where, either on the Right or the Left, this problem of power could then have been posed. On the Right, it was posed only in terms of constitution, sovereignty, and so on, that is, in juridical terms; on the Marxist side, it was posed only in terms of the state apparatus. The way power was exercised - concretely, and in detail - with its specificity, its techniques and tactics, was something no one attempted to ascertain; they contented themselves with denouncing it in a polemical and global fashion as it existed among the "other," in the adversary camp. Where Soviet socialist power was in question, its opponents called it totalitarianism; power in Western capitalism was denounced by the Marxists as class domination; but the mechanics of power in themselves were never analyzed.” 0 likes