Start by marking “Skinny Legs and All Skinny Legs and All Skinny Legs and All” as Want to Read:
Skinny Legs and All Skinny Legs and All Skinny Legs and All

Skinny Legs and All Skinny Legs and All Skinny Legs and All

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  30,250 ratings  ·  1,096 reviews
SKINNY LEGS AND ALL:
An Arab and a Jew open a restaurant together across the street from the United Nations....
It sounds like the beginning of an ethnic joke, but it's theaxis around which spins this gutsy, fun-loving, and alarmingly provocative novel, in which a bean can philosophizes, a dessert spoon mystifies, a young waitress takes on the New York art world, and a row
Published June 17th 2003 by Bantam (first published 1990)

Be the first to ask a question about Skinny Legs and All Skinny Legs and All Skinny Legs and All

Greg
I can't think of any other book I've read very recently that left my mind as thoroughly blown as Skinny Legs and All. I'd only read one other Tom Robbins book -- Still Life With Woodpecker -- so I was prepared for his playfulness, humor, intricate (but goofy) language, and overall trippy feel that all come with just about everything he rights.

But I was not prepared for Skinny Legs. This book is so dense with literary magnificence that you could chew it like you had a whole mouth full of sticky b
Austen
I should start by saying that I'm not a fan of Tom Robbins' novels. I don't dislike his work, but you will not find me among the legions of his fanatical fans. I just need to get that out of the way before I begin...

However, I have enjoyed reading two of his books. I almost put down Still Life With Woodpecker, but because of my admiration for the person who recommended it to me, I made it through. I feel much the same way about this novel. In fact, I did put Skinny Legs down for about six months
Mike
I started this book at least three times. Tom Robbins is one of my favorie authors, and this was his only novel I hadn't read. However, each of the times I started it I found myself becoming very disappointed. At the beginning it was too weird, or trying to be too cute, even for Tom Robbins. Ellen Cherry and Boomer driving across country in a turkey. A talking and walking spoon, dirty sock and can of beans. It was too much. I couldn't take it seriously. He was trying to be too 'Tom Robbins like' ...more
Kate
this book's jacket description : this book :: funny movie trailer : movie that shot its wad in the trailer

The premise sounds wild and funny and makes you wonder, briefly, how he could pull it off. And then he doesn't.
Michele
This is the best book I've ever read! Robbins keeps me on my toes with his vocabulary and uses unique characters to provide interesting perspectives on cultural clashes and life in general. I love this guy!
sj
Trying to talk about Tom Robbins to someone who's never read him is nigh on imfuckingpossible. It's even more difficult if you're trying to convince someone who's already decided he/she DOESN'T LIKE him.

This is one of my favourite books ever, I've read it more times than I can count, and yet...

I still have a hard time explaining exactly WHY I want people to read this book.

I mean, I get it. Robbins is pretentious as fuck and his writing is what my husband refers to as masturbatory (yes, I read hi
Rob
Sep 06, 2012 Rob rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: pilgrims and frustrated artists; also: foot-fetishists
Shelves: own
A passage:

"You are an artist. You know that big picture at the museum midtown, that picture by that fellow Rousseau, it is called The Sleeping Gypsy?"

"Yeah. Sure. That's a very famous painting."

"It ought to be called The Sleeping Arab, that picture. An Arab lies in the desert, sleeping under the crazy-faced moon. A lion sniffs at the Arab, the Arab is unafraid..."

See the painting...

I find this to be one of Robbins' better works. By "better" here I mean "more mature" and "fully realized". Which i
Leah
Oct 26, 2009 Leah rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sean Ferguson
Recommended to Leah by: Viluna Jennings
Shelves: favorites
I've heard about how good Tom Robbins is for quite a long time, and finally picked up one of his novels at the insistence of a friend. I'm so glad I did. Skinny Legs and All is now officially making it onto my "best reads of '09" list (yes, I do actually keep lists).

I'm not sure where to begin with this one... the book is funny, controversial, and relevant. It can be confusing, but it's the sort of thing the reader has to let slide. I speak from experience when I say that if you accept the oddne
Feb 17, 2008 Laura rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Laura by: Jill Z.
I believe this novel was so enjoyable because of its lighthearted mix of the absurd, the everyday, the magical, and the sexual. I consider those the four food groups of fun literature, and they each find a home in this ridiculous tale of self-awakening and revelations of truth. Robbins asserts that patriarchal society has blinded us to a heritage that recognizes and rejoices its feminine deities that embrace expressions of sexuality and the magic of nature. Blinded by “seven veils” of untruth in ...more
Jen
Sep 03, 2007 Jen rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: smart, progressive types with a sense of humor
Tom Robbins is a genius. His use of the English language is so playful and dangerously intelligent that I can't belive he isn't a bigger literary celebrity.

Skinny Legs and All delves into all of life's big issues: religion, politics, love, war, money and so on, though it has a light touch; main characters include a Can 'o Beans and a Dirty Sock, for example. Seven fundamental truths are revealed as a modern day belly dancer named Salome dances The Dance of the Seven Veils - a veil drops, and a t
Jess
Although I have determined that it is impossible for me to pick a favorite Tom Robbins novel, this one is strong in the running.

Ellen Cherry Charles isn't my favorite Robbins woman, but in many ways, she is his most sympathetic female protagonist. Caught between her art, her stupid husband, and her hypocritical uncle, she made me want to jump into the pages and help her straighten everything out. (That's saying a lot coming from me, a generally unsympathetic person and least of all to other wome
Heather
Feb 27, 2008 Heather rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: eccentrics
I am a Tom Robbins fan, but I was a little disappointed in this book. Fierce Invalids is still my all-time favorite, closely followed by Jitterbug Perfume. Both are MUST-reads.

My whole theory on how Tom Robbins writes a book:
--step 1: find some random unlikely stuff to be associated-- people, places, things, or topics.
--step 2: weave them together using witty humour, a renegade main character, some sort of historical or theological revelation tied into all random people places or things.

I'm used
snowplum
This book is a delightfully messy, trippy, optimistic, big-hearted whirlwind. A hurricane that has ripped through the 1960s and '70s and '80s in America, picking up hillbillies and flower children and Arabs and Jews and artists and Biblical characters who serve as fodder for our fantasies. And don't forget a Can o' Beans, Dirty Sock, Spoon, Painted Stick and Conch Shell. The overused phrase of praise Tour de Force actually applies here. And then some.

This is my personal favorite Tom Robbins nove
Judith
****First off..forget Formatting...this one is Free Form, all the way***

5 Stars: This book held my interest for over a month (I'm a slow reader, okay!)....like Gravity's Rainbow it's about Everything..and No One Thing, and it's never boring...Then there's the Wordplay..the lovely English language the most versatile of toys. Mr Robbins spins that top for all it's worth..in his hands it's worth a lot. Zany, crazy, surreal..the gang's all here, with pathos and sincerity in tow.

Art, and its carry-on
Frank Roberts
Jul 12, 2012 Frank Roberts rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People recovering from head trauma; autistic children
Shelves: books-to-burn
This tainted slab of ham turned out to be a massive milestone in my life of reading stuff. It marked the moment when I decided that a book DID NOT need to be finished once it was started. A wildly masturbatory author, Robbins lays metaphors on everything in triplicate and quadruplicate, spilling similes all over the place like a chimp splatters semen, like a bubbling fountain of tangy fondue cheese, like hand cream pumped from a bellows, like an elephant stomping on a sack of silly putty...

It wa
Laura Harcourt
Anastasia
Da un po' di tempo ho voglia di dedicarmi anche ad autori nuovi: voglio accantonare momentaneamente i soliti nomi strombazzati - a meno di non averli mai affrontati io, in prima persona - e voglio fare un po' la ricercatrice hipster infilandomi nei vicoli più secondari, nei negozietti di periferia dove si trovano le chicche che è quasi una soddisfazione scovare perché torni e dici "e questo te potevi trovarlo, eh, eh? guarda che figata", etc etc.
Oddio, dire che Tom Robbins è una conchiglietta di
Mat
Compared with the usual high standards that I have come to expect from Tom Robbins, this book was a tad disappointing.

There are those books which grab you by the seat of the pants from the first page and don’t let go until you turn that final page, such as John Grisham’s The Testament. There are those books which start off nice and slow, pouring in the literary concrete in the first half to pave the way for the dazzling kapow punch that usually comes in the second half. And there are those books
Darlene
I read this a long time ago but it still plays with my head now. After that I got caught up in Robbins' books. Then, well, other books came in and I lost my way. Must get back and read more. Maybe Can of Soup, Stick, Spoon, and Dirty Sock will welcome me back. How I miss them!
Cody
Jan 28, 2008 Cody rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those about to rock (i would also salute you).
his best book, in my opinion. spiritually themed, richly philosophical, a little dirty and not afraid to be silly. robbins' language is reliably lush and off-beat. oh, and i loved the commentary about art and art scenes.
Sparrow
Oct 03, 2008 Sparrow rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sparrow by: Mr. Alves
I read this in high school, and I'm not sure if I would like it better now, or hate it now.
Mehlika
Kitabı bir arkadaşımda görmüştüm ve Parfümün Dansı'ndan başka Tom Robbins'e dair bir fikrim yoktu. Ama artık herhangi bir yazı okuduğumda kendisini teşhis edebileceğime şüphem yok, o kadar kendine has yazmış.

Kitabın değindiği birçok konu var aslında. En önemlisi semavi dinler, bunların tarihi ve İsrail-Amerika-filistin ilişkisi-olayların geçtiği önemli yerlerden biri de aslında dinlerinin hakikatleriyle uzaktan yakından alakadar olmayan bir Arap ve bir Yahudi'nin New York'ta açtığı bir restoran.
Aaron
Skinny Legs and All is only the second Tom Robbins novel I've read, and I think it's pretty safe to say that I probably don't need to read any more. All the charm and magic that was Still Life With Woodpecker is just obnoxious here. The weirdness of Robbins' writing style is still funny and entertaining, and I enjoyed if not loved the majority of the characters (major, minor and inanimate objects). Skinny Legs and All showcases a hefty amount of magical realism and absurdism, which is fine by me ...more
Daryl
Robbins has always used his story-telling gifts to deliver a message, and it is always iconoclastic in nature, while promoting the goal of the self-actualized person. This novel, in my humble opinion, is a flat-out, in-your-face, wonderfully entertaining presentation of his 'philosophy' and is worth reading even in you read only the final portion of the book.
I think of Pynchon a lot when I read Robbins, but,to me, the difference is that Robbins offers a solution to the problem of what to do wit
Ben Eldridge
I'm still not entirely sure what to think of Tom Robbins. His quirky use of language and fascination with absurdity are highly entertaining, but the rather shallow philosophizing underpinning his narrative, and his deliberately flat characterisation make him a somewhat frustrating author to read. Skinny Legs and All doesn't really cohere as a novel, reading more as an extended stand-up comedy routine by a comedian who takes himself far too seriously. The preceding novel Jitterbug Perfume deals w ...more
Barry
Sarah Brillinger
I finished this last night and my head is still spinning with the concept of inanimate objects having lives, the depths of the discussion on religion, art and the apocalypse. This book is a lot to take in and despite the heavy subject matter, it's still funny and surprisingly light in feel.

I'll admit to a bit of skimming over the lengthly discussions of events surrounding temples and battles from thousands of years ago but don't let that discourage you. I'm just not much of a history buff.
The s
Anjanette V
disappointed. this book was written in an obvious attempt for a liberal to get his wings. "an arab and a jew open a restaurant across from the united nations..." too much hype about this one, wherein robbins tries to be a wise leader towards humanist light. instead, he ends up fabricating and confusing a lot of historical fact, and badly writing a female character. ellen cherry thinks men's thoughts, and among a cast that includes inanimate characters like can-o-beans, spoon, dirty sock, conch s ...more
Luz  C. Johnson
“Skinny Legs And All” by Tom Robbins is without a doubt one of the best books I’ve read. This is the story of five inanimate objects: Conch Shell, Can O’ Beans, Painted Stick, Dirty Sock and Spoon; which embark in an unlikely adventure that consists of heading from America to Jerusalem. Along, during and through their trip, they encounter some humans: Ellen Cherry; an artist and waitress, Boomer Petway; Ellen’s husband, Patsy and Verlin; Ellen’s parents, Reverend Buddy Walker; Ellen’s uncle, Abu ...more
Bill
Clever For the Sake of Cleverness (2012)

Robbins, Tom (1990). Skinny Legs and All. New York: Bantam.

This novel is about Tom Robbins, who wants to show you how clever, funny, and sophisticated he is. With respect to that goal, the book succeeds.

However, does he create and motivate interesting characters? No. Does he develop an interesting story? No. Does he elucidate some significant point? No. Does he create a haunting sense of place or time? No. Does he skewer social or political practices with
"inanimate objects" 5 80 Nov 28, 2012 02:30PM
  • Nine Kinds of Naked
  • Trout Fishing in America/The Pill versus the Springhill Mine Disaster/In Watermelon Sugar
  • The Rifles
  • The Monkey Wrench Gang
  • Easy Travel to Other Planets
  • Fool on the Hill
  • The Stain
  • Take It or Leave It
  • Sorrow Floats (GroVont Trilogy, #2)
  • The River Why
  • The Cannibal
  • The Hotel New Hampshire
  • Wampeters, Foma and Granfalloons
  • Lookout Cartridge
  • Blind Date
  • Cross Dressing
Thomas Eugene Robbins (born July 22, 1936 in Blowing Rock, North Carolina) is an American author. His novels are complex, often wild stories with strong social undercurrents, a satirical bent, and obscure details. His novel Even Cowgirls Get the Blues (1976) was made into a movie in 1993 directed by Gus Van Sant.

More about Tom Robbins...
Still Life with Woodpecker Jitterbug Perfume Even Cowgirls Get the Blues Another Roadside Attraction Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates

“Don't trust anybody who'd rather be grammatically correct than have a good time.” 132 likes
“Ellen Cherry was from the south and had good manners. She didn´t have any panties on, but she had good manners.” 101 likes