Start by marking “Mudshark” as Want to Read:
Mudshark

Mudshark

3.43  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,056 Ratings  ·  217 Reviews
Mudshark is the go-to guy for any mysteries that need solving. Lost your shoe? Can’t find your homework? Ask Mudshark. That is, until the Psychic Parrot takes up residence in the school library and threatens to overturn Mudshark’s position as the guy who knows all the answers. The word in school is that the parrot can out-think Mudshark. And right now, the school needs som ...more
Published May 12th 2009 by Wendy Lamb Books (first published January 1st 2009)

Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Sally Kruger aka "Readingjunky" for TeensReadToo.com

MUDSHARK is a great addition to any Gary Paulsen collection. It's not the HATCHET adventure type, but rather one of the crazy, mad-cap mishap stories like HOW ANGEL PETERSON GOT HIS NAME and LAWN BOY.

Mudshark is actually Lyle Williams. He got his name for his lightning speed and his incredible observation skills. These are skills he honed while keeping an eye on Kara, Sara, and Tara, his triplet sisters. When they became mobile, lif
Angie
Great writing. Just ... not much of a story. Does that make sense?

By great writing I mean like the following (page 18 and 19):
"There are many ways to describe Ms. Underdorf.
She was brilliant and joyous and she believed--probably correctly--that libraries contain the answers to all things, to everything, and that if you can't find the information you seek in the library, then such information probably does not exist in this or any parallel universe now or ever to be known.
She was thoughtful an
Josiah
Aug 05, 2016 Josiah rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Over the years Gary Paulsen has created some memorable characters, and twelve-year-old Lyle Williams (known to friends and admirers as Mudshark) may join the ranks of his fan favorites. Mudshark is the epitome of Joe Cool, owner of a dazzling logical mind that never misses a trick when he's on the trail of a mystery or missing object in the vicinity of his school. He's the only member of his family never outwitted or overwhelmed by his younger triplet sisters, Kara, Sara, and Tara, who are freq ...more
Ms. Yingling
Feb 16, 2012 Ms. Yingling rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lyle is known as Mudshark because his speed and agility have been honed by dealing with triplet sisters who have a tendency to make a bee line for dog chewies and electrical outlets. He also has a knack for solving mysteries, and there are a lot of them at his school. Not only is the faculty restroom constantly filled with hazardous materials, but the chalkboard erasers keep going missing, a gerbil is running loose in the building, and the librarian has a foul-mouthed parrot that may or may not ...more
Taylonbork
Nov 01, 2013 Taylonbork rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kori Looker
Jan 11, 2013 Kori Looker rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Mudshark is one of the weirdest books I have ever read. If you like odd books, I recommend this book to you. The reading level is around the fourth grade level. Mudshark is about a fast-thinking go-to guy if anyone has questions or problems. Mudshark’s name is Lyle Williams but he’s known as Mudshark throughout the book. Well, Mudshark is a detective at his school and his enemy is the physic parrot who thinks he can outsmart Mudshark. Erasers go missing and Mudshark uses his skills to solve the ...more
Helen
Sep 27, 2014 Helen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Would be better if has some more adventure instead of just mysteries.
Bones Kendall
Originally $4.99 but marked down to $1.99 at my kids' school book fair. A short, two dollar book is worth it. I read almost every night to my kids, after all. We consume a lot of pages.

So I picked up Mudshark not knowing anything about it or its author Gary Paulsen. I do know that Scholastic has a business model that gets some books published because the author is prolific, but I never begrudge an author for that.

I can't say why exactly, but I got the impression that Paulsen actually put somet
Charlie
May 10, 2014 Charlie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book to my intervention class. I thought it would be a light and funny read, but I felt it went a little over my 6th graders heads. Of course, these are students who need intervention, so that might be why they could not put together the pieces of what was happening in this book. There is quite a fair amount of sarcasm in this book, coupled with a very distinctive 3rd person point of view with complex syntax that at times was hard to follow.

Mudshark has an uncanny knack for telling s
Dan Tews
Jan 09, 2013 Dan Tews rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Mudshark" is a great book for all kids at all reading levels because it is an easy and fast read. This book is a hard book to put down because once you start it you have to finish it. "Mudshark" is an easy book to follow and understand but at the same time makes you think. It also makes you put the pieces of the story together. The characters in "Mudshark" are mysterious and some are very funny. This book is a good book to just sit down and read on a rainy weekend.
Sherry
3.5 stars. "Mudshark" is Paulsen's answer to "Harriet the Spy" meets "Joe Cool". I was a bit puzzled by the rogue parrot's intellectualization, but I liked the protagonist's comparative savvy. Each chapter begins with a broadcast from the principal's office, bellowing an update on several school happenings. The school's population is eccentric, but lovable. "Mudshark" was a fast read, and the characters' antics would be interesting to 9 to 11 year-olds.
Aaron Schroeder
In the novel "Mudshark" by Gary Paulsen, the main character is the kind of kid who everybody comes to when they need something solved. Mudshark continues with this role until a psychic parrot comes into the school and starts making Mudshark look bad. He is then put to the test to prove to himself that he is better than the parrot. I recommend this book to all kids in middle school and older, because it is an easy and fun book to read.
Shane
A short realistic (well, maybe not the parts about the bathroom or the parrot)fiction novel about a boy who is turned-to in his school when people need their own personal mysteries solved. Mudshark-the protagonist- is fine with his role solving mysteries and dealing with the quirky happenings at his school until a parrot is brought to the library, and the parrot is able to solve mysteries better than Mudshark.

The story flies by very quickly so this might be a good book for kids who find themsel
Austin Meier
I rated this book a two because this book is a weird book about a boy named Mudshark. He is able to know where lost things are after they have been lost by someone. So if somebody looses something Mudshark is who the ask. Then one day the librarian gets a parrot that is able to find things only because he will wonder around the school. Then one all the erasers in the school disappear and the principle ask Mudshark to find them. He finds the eraser thief and the thief is a nice guy. Then they did ...more
Kyler Smith
Jan 25, 2016 Kyler Smith rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I honestly do not like this book it was way to kiddish it was very confusing but honestly i thing that if I would have took some time and read it slower i probably would have liked it better but reasons i dont like this book is when u would read it in my head as i read it just looked and sounded kiddish you know when you get that feeling that some one is acting really kiddish that is what it sounded like to me but as a book and another reason i dont like this book is that it was confusing so you ...more
Victoria
Good book. It's very hilarious and mysterious, but a bit to short for me. I think people who like stories that are short and funny, then this book is for Y-O-U!
Kermit
Sep 20, 2014 Kermit rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: junior-fiction

I thought I would like this better because it's by Gary Paulsen. But it was only so-so for me.

Lyle Williams (aka Mudshark) is smart and very, very observant. He's kind of like that guy on the TV program, The Mentalist. He can look at a situation, immediately understand it, notice details that everyone else misses, and then solve people's problems because of it.

Mudshark sets out to solve the mystery of the missing erasers at his school. There's also a missing classroom gerbil, a wacky pr
Kathy
Nov 13, 2010 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very funny. Kids will love this and teachers reading it aloud will laugh as well.
Lisa Frase
Jan 12, 2011 Lisa Frase rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
I finished reading aloud Mudshark to my fourth graders today. This book is on the Texas Bluebonnet list. It's interesting, but I find that my tongue had a tendency to trip over the many long sentences. I love Gary Paulson as a writer, but this book is a bit different from his usual voice and style.

Mudshark is one smart dude. He is extremely observant and highly intelligent. It's nice to have a super-sharp boy -who is not only smart, but totally cool, as the hero of the story. Mudshark makes rea
Erica
May 12, 2011 Erica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book talk: The word in the hallway is that if you've lost something, Mudshark can find it for you. But his keen observational skills help him with more than just finding lost items. There is no problem too big or too small for Mudshark and everyone goes to him if they've lost something. That is until Betty Crimper comes into the library one day to ask Mudshark about her lost paper and the parrot answers first. Even stranger, he's right. After that everyone starts going to the parrot with their p ...more
Barb Middleton
Mudshark can remember nearly everything. Lose something at school?

Ask Mudshark. He’ll know where it is.

Even adults ask for his help. When the Librarian buys a parrot, it too has great locating skills, and Mudshark’s stream of followers start to seek help from the Parrot.

Except for… the Principal.

He asks for Mudshark’s help in locating the school’s missing erasers and when Mudshark finds them he has to decide whether or not to turn in the culprit. Find out how he gets out of his dilemma and takes
C.C. Thomas
Jul 05, 2011 C.C. Thomas rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Gary Paulsen is one of my favorite authors and so the expectation was high for this book. It isn't often that I can say I am disappointed in one of his books, but this one is not a typical Paulsen. Most of Paulsen's books fall into three categories: survival/adventure; true story survival/ adventure and humor. I have read and enjoyed dozens of Paulsen's book in each of these categories. With over 200 books to his name, it would be hard to keep up the Newberry pace of 'Hatchet'.

'Mudshark would f
angie
Dec 19, 2013 angie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had to read Mudshark for a library class and I have to say I was very pleasantly surprised by both its humor and its indomitable spirit.

My favorite things about the book are the beginning parts of almost every chapter where the school principal makes the most hysterical public announcements ("...and if you see the gerbil, would you please try to herd it toward room two oh six?")

Great writing made me jot down quotes such as:

-"It was all in the way your thoughts ran through your mind, the way
Jenny
I love Gary Paulson....really. I've read many of his books and loved him even more after hearing him tell hill literacy life story. However, I couldn't love Mudshark. I've picked it up twice, trying to entice kids to read it as non- Hatchet book. I'm not sure that kids would stick with it, either. The overall theme is a good one, underdog kid makes the win in Death Ball and becomes overnight sensation. He's able to locate lost items until a Psychic Parrot shows Mudshark up as the school detectiv ...more
Coleen
Jul 08, 2015 Coleen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was an early rainy summer morning- and I was homesick for a Gary Paulsen book. I wanted the adventure of Hatchet and the poetry of Dogsong. Instead I read through this madcap story of Lyle aka Mudshark, who is so observant that he can solve his peers' and his principal's frustrating little mysteries. It is a cute book- If Paulsen were a musician/lyricist, I'd say this is one of his little ditties. I was looking for one of his soulful ballads.
Liz
Jun 05, 2015 Liz rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fourth-grade
Final read aloud of 2014-2015. Huge disappointment. Chose it because it's short and because I've enjoyed everything else I've read by Gary Paulsen. But this was definitely no 'Hatchet' or 'My Life in Dog Years'. About a kid with a photographic memory who tries to solve the mystery of some missing erasers. Although it was only 80 pages, it dragged on and I could tell the kids weren't super into it (though it could have been my lack of enthusiasm that was contagious).
Gwen
Aug 03, 2011 Gwen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, humor
Mudshark is so observant, that he's known for "finding" things that have been lost -- just because he noticed something that allows him to know things most people don't remember. But then the school librarian gets a parrot, which is just as observant. Just when Mudshark thought he was in competition for his memory skills, the principal calls on his skills to help find all the school's erasers, which have gone missing from every classroom. This main storyline is peppered with a loose gerbil terro ...more
Candace
Nov 13, 2015 Candace rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book because it has a Lexile score of 1080 and is classified as a mystery. I am on a rampage about the Lexile Grading scale for books and that is a discussion best made elsewhere. Why it scores 1080 is beyond me.

BUT, I like this book and enjoyed it. I think most 2nd-6th graders would also. Teaches about observation and thinking in a fun, interesting way.
Mara Vetters
Jul 09, 2012 Mara Vetters rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is one of the funniest books that I have read in a long time. From the principal's first announcement to the story's sweet and humorous conclusion Gary Paulsen gives us a very well-written story about a gerbil on the loose, a toxic restroom, missing erasers, a (maybe) psychic parrot, and a compassionate observant and clever hero who has to keep his wacky school from falling down.
Probably the best aspect of this book is its humor. Every chapter begins with a short announcement from the
Matthew Prueter
This book is about a very smart boy who helps people out find their lost things and gives people advice. His principle wants him to help him out and solve a problem that the whole school is facing. I liked this book because it was very suspenseful and it was mystery. I would recommend this book to people that like mystery and solving clues.
  • The Uglified Ducky
  • Marvelous Mattie: How Margaret E. Knight Became an Inventor
  • Dexter the Tough
  • The Case of the Case of Mistaken Identity (Brixton Brothers, #1)
  • Return of the Homework Machine (The Homework Machine, #2)
  • Sparrow Girl
  • Down, Down, Down: A Journey to the Bottom of the Sea
  • Tap Dancing on the Roof: Sijo (Poems)
  • Calvin Coconut: Trouble Magnet
  • The Witch's Guide to Cooking with Children
  • Allergic to Camping, Hiking, and Other Natural Disasters (Alvin Ho, #2)
  • The Ghost, the White House and Me
  • Melonhead
  • My One Hundred Adventures (My One Hundred Adventures #1)
  • 14 Cows for America
  • EllRay Jakes Is Not a Chicken
  • My Dog May Be a Genius
  • The Hinky-Pink: An Old Tale
Although he was never a dedicated student, Paulsen developed a passion for reading at an early age. After a librarian gave him a book to read--along with his own library card--he was hooked. He began spending hours alone in the basement of his apartment building, reading one book after another.

Running away from home at the age of 14 and traveling with a carnival, Paulsen acquired a taste for adve
More about Gary Paulsen...

“She was brilliant and joyous and she believed- probably correctly- that libraries contain the answers to all things, to everything, and that if you can't find the information you seek in the library, then such information probably doesn't exist in this or any parallel universe now or ever to be known. She was thoughtful and kind and she always believed the best of everybody. She was, above all else, a master librarian and she knew where to find any book on any subject in the shortest possible time.

And she was wonderfully unhinged.”
46 likes