Start by marking “Firefly: The Official Companion Volume One (Firefly the Official Companion #1)” as Want to Read:
Firefly: The Official Companion Volume One (Firefly the Official Companion #1)

Firefly: The Official Companion Volume One (Firefly the Official Companion #1)

4.44  ·  Rating Details ·  1,546 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Before the smash hit movie Serenity came Firefly, the cult TV series which started it all and became a DVD phenomenon, selling almost half a million copies. Set 500 years in the future, Firefly centres around Mal Reynolds, captain of the ship-for-hire Serenity and its eclectic crew of galactic misfits. When he takes on two passengers, a young doctor and his mysterious, tel ...more
Published September 1st 2006 by Titan Books

To ask other readers questions about Firefly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Firefly

Arielle Walker
Jul 06, 2014 Arielle Walker rated it really liked it
Shelves: visual
Really cool being able to read all the scripts, plus the little snippets of information from cast and crew. More information to go with the scripts would have been nice but with Firefly I'll happily take all I can get! Costuming sketches in particular were worth seeing.
Alexia Nachios
Mar 28, 2012 Alexia Nachios rated it it was amazing
ain't much left in this world got a price most're willin' to pay, but times come we pay it all the same.
Nikki
Aug 26, 2009 Nikki rated it it was amazing
The Firefly companions are beautiful, beautiful books. Glossy pages, lots of photographs, bits of art people did to come up with designs... They also contain interviews, essays, and scripts. The first official companion contains the scripts for six episodes: Serenity (the pilot), The Train Job, Bushwhacked, Shindig, Safe, and Our Mrs Reynolds. The scripts are well laid out, and seem to have everything, plus they have little inset bits of information -- Nathan Fillion talking about the first time ...more
john Adams
Apr 28, 2009 john Adams rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
ok rather than reading I have been watching this. Two words: SPACE COWBOYS. Its really good, but it's not as good as Buffy. It is sort of like Buffy, but the early seasons, where everything is good but its too episodic and not enough long-term plot developments. Joss should have learned from LOST and given the audience a little more to bit into. As it is, Firefly introduces the weeves and River but they are both really lame and undeveloped, where as in the film they are both really kickass. I've ...more
Marisette Burgess
Jun 14, 2012 Marisette Burgess rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
What a great series. I admire the creativity and talent of Joss Whedon. The uniqueness of the rugged cowboy setting blended with the futuristic surroundings made for a dynamic storyline. His characters, as always, are priceless. Too sad that it was only one season.
VeganMedusa
Sep 27, 2011 VeganMedusa rated it liked it
I didn't bother reading the scripts, just the tidbits of info about the cast and on-set hijinks.
Clare
Dec 20, 2007 Clare rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves Firefly.
I can't even handle so much awesome. SKETCHES OF INARA'S COSTUMES, OKAY. That's all.
Vinton Bayne
Jan 12, 2017 Vinton Bayne rated it it was amazing
This has been an amazing resource for my Firefly podcast: Mighty Fine Shindig #MFshindig
Maria
Jan 25, 2013 Maria rated it it was amazing
I’ve read a lot of companions and every one of them is different. I really, really like this one. It’s informative and also really, really pretty.

This is basically the shooting scripts of the first seven episodes. If you don’t like reading scripts, this is not the book for you. Of the 175 pages, 129 pages are scripts. I really liked reading these. For one, the book includes the original shooting scripts, so there are scenes in there that have never made it to the screen. Secondly, every script
Katie
Apr 16, 2016 Katie rated it liked it
I always love the extra tidbits you find out about your favorite show and what went on behind the scenes. This book has good interviews and such, but a lot of it is just the episode scripts (only half in this book, actually, you have to get volume two for the remainder. While there are some extra lines/scenes that were added or removed, they're few and far between. I could've done without the rehashing what we've seen in the final cuts that aired, and would've enjoyed more just simplifying it to ...more
Erin
Sep 17, 2012 Erin rated it it was amazing
This book contains the original scripts for the first 6 episodes of Firefly, along with interviews with cast members, guest stars, Joss Whedon, Tim Minear, Jane Espenson, and Shawna Trpcic, amongst others. There are some fun stills taken from the episodes, as well as pictures of sets, props, and costumes, accompanied by the stories of how they were inspired and created. As a HUGE Firefly fan, this was an awesome book to read.
Alexa
Dec 03, 2012 Alexa rated it really liked it
Shelves: fan-girl
This book is fantastic! A lot of fan books are just a whole lot of a photos without a lot of substance because they know fans like me will buy it anyway. This book is happily an exception. It has everything you can want including interviews with each cast member about their character, interviews with Joss Whedon and original concept art for each character's costume. I really enjoyed reading it and I think it is great addition to any fan's library.
Titanguru
Jun 01, 2007 Titanguru rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Joss Whedon or the TV show
Joss Whedon has a fantastic way with creating believable, human, characters in a believable world, and he has a real flair for funny, memorable, dialogue and one-liners. It's a shame Firefly the TV show was cancelled, as it had all of those elements and more, bt at least you can recreate the enjoyment of the show by reading this book, which includes the scripts from the epsiodes as well as lots of photos.
Elizabeth
Jun 17, 2015 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
A lot of reviews have people complaining that it's mostly scripts from the show - but that's the second thing listed on the back of the book! I think it's great that not only can you read the full script (and finally find out what they're saying in Chinese) but also read scenes that were cut, interviews, commentaries, and even how to build your own replica of some of the props, if you're so inclined. I can't wait to get my hands on volume 2.
Max Ostrovsky
Jun 27, 2007 Max Ostrovsky rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, non-fiction
It's fun escapism to come back to the 'verse. The show is gone, the movie is gone, let me have my crack. I love reading the scripts to the shows and interviews and costumes and props...plus, I now know what all the Chinese translates to.
Denise Junker
Jul 24, 2016 Denise Junker rated it it was amazing
Shelves: television
Enjoyed the character articles and comment boxes throughout. More than anything, the Chinese translations.
Liana
May 15, 2007 Liana rated it it was amazing
How I love you, Joss Whedon.... Awesome book, amazing quality, invaluable information. I adore this book.
Peter
Aug 11, 2008 Peter added it
OK... just discovered the Firefly series on Netflix and wondered..."could I write that?" so got this book to check out the scripts that are included. It's possible...
Ellen
Mar 23, 2013 Ellen rated it really liked it
A must read for any Firefly fan. Loved the small details and anecdotes. Script reading not my thing.
David Jarrett
David Jarrett rated it it was amazing
May 16, 2012
Elys
Elys rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2012
Rhonda
Rhonda rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2015
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2017
Nawfal
Nawfal rated it liked it
Feb 19, 2016
Gabriel Jimenez
Gabriel Jimenez rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2016
Amy
Amy rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2012
Emma
Emma rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2012
James Walton
James Walton rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2016
John McGinnes
John McGinnes rated it it was amazing
Apr 19, 2015
Tanya
Tanya rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2014
Books like Firefly 2 10 Jul 09, 2013 07:01AM
Comic-Con in Dallas 1 2 Apr 09, 2013 01:48PM
  • Serenity Found: More Unauthorized Essays on Joss Whedon's Firefly Universe
  • Serenity
  • Five Seasons of Angel: Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers Discuss Their Favorite Vampire
  • The Psychology of Joss Whedon: An Unauthorized Exploration
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Watcher's Guide, Volume 2
  • Reading Angel: The TV Spin-off with a Soul
  • Slayer Slang: A Buffy the Vampire Slayer Lexicon
  • Reading the Vampire Slayer: The Complete, Unofficial Guide to 'Buffy' and 'Angel'
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Watcher's Guide, Volume 1
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Watcher's Guide, Volume 3
  • Serenity: Float Out (Serenity, #2.4)
  • Serenity Role Playing Game
  • What Would Buffy Do? The Vampire Slayer as Spiritual Guide
  • Sex and the Slayer: A Gender Studies Primer for the Buffy Fan
  • Why Buffy Matters: The Art of Buffy the Vampire Slayer
  • My Own Kind of Freedom: A Firefly Novel
  • Serenity: Leaves on the Wind #2
Joss Whedon (born Joseph Hill Whedon) is an American screenwriter, executive producer, film and television director, comic book writer, occasional composer, and actor, and the founder of Mutant Enemy Productions and co-creator of Bellwether Pictures.

He is best known as the creator and showrunner of the television series 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1997–2003)', 'Angel (1999–2004)', 'Firefly (2002)'
More about Joss Whedon...

Firefly the Official Companion (2 books)
  • Firefly: The Official Companion Volume Two (Firefly the Official Companion, #2)