Start by marking “B-24 Combat Missions: First Hand Accounts of Liberator Operations Over Nazi Germany” as Want to Read:

4.38 of 5 stars 4.38  ·  rating details  ·  13 ratings  ·  7 reviews
B-24: Combat Missions takes the reader through every Liberator crew position to show what it was like to fly-and fight-in the plane that was produced in greater quantities than any other US military aircraft in World War II, including the B-17. First-hand accounts from crewmembers are grouped with archive and commissioned photos of the plane and of items of memorabilia, to ...more
Published January 1st 2009 by Fall River Press

To ask other readers questions about B-24 Combat Missions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about B-24 Combat Missions

carl  theaker

Tall Torrid and Texas - name and the nose art of the B-24 on the cover.

subtitle: First-Hand Accounts of Liberator Operations over Nazi Europe

I like the organization of this book, each chapter takes you through the ship
by the crew member positions, so after an intro, there is a chapter on the
pilot & co-pilot, navigator/nose-gunner, radio-operator and so forth,
a section on nose art and wraps up with a chapter on R&R.

The book is large size 11x10, so many pics are big, and many are in
color
Incredible pictures - new as well as historical - of the plane that dominated air combat in WW2. The new pictures of the interior are from the restored - and fully operational - Witchcraft, the B-24J Consolidated Liberator flown on tour by the Collings Foundation all over the US. It is the only one left in the air in the world, and I got to take a ride on it. I'm not an airplane historian by any means but it was so cool to fly on part of my family history (even indirectly).
Jeff
A remarkably good book for what it is - a pretty, coffee-table account of combat in a B-24 Liberator in the European Theater of Operations. The bulk of the book contains separate chapters for each crewmember's position, describing their accomodations, responsiblities, and training requirements, followed by several first-hand accounts of airmens' experiences in each of those positions. There's not a lot of depth to be found here, but there are insights into the operations of a B-24 that make this ...more
Roger Wickboldt
Wonderful book with excellent photos inside the B-24 at the various crew positions. The book is heavy on personal accounts of missions and life in the army air corps, which I thoroughly enjoy.
Daleb.
Jun 23, 2012 Daleb. added it
Recommends it for: anyone who loves the old planes or is a WW I I buff
Sat. June 23, 2012
Almost through reading this and will be finished by close of business today at the library
Very interesting look at one of the famous American bombers of WWII along with the crew positions/responsibilities and some of the personnel who flew, manned & maintained these air ships.
I learned a lot of new things that after years (i started my love affair w/WWII planes in late Jr. High and High School) of reading i never knew about these planes
Great coffee table book w/loads of pho
J. Bryce
Not much depth but a very well-down overview -- and provided an eyewitness account of the destruction of my first-cousin-once-removed's aircraft on June 10, 1944.
Harrison Kessel
Gave me an insight on the war that only first hand accounts could give me

Rick Creel
Rick Creel marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
Monty
Monty marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Roland
Roland marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2014
Jonathan
Jonathan marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2013
Andry
Andry marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2013
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2013
Ivan White
Ivan White marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2013
Natalie Fife
Natalie Fife marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2011
Spirits in the Sky: Classic Aircraft of World War II Mosquito: Menacing the Reich: Combat Action in the Twin-engine Wooden Wonder of World War II Clash of Eagles: USAAF 8th Air Force Bombers Versus the Luftwaffe in World War 2 B-17 Combat Missions: Fighters, Flak, and Forts: First-Hand Accounts of Mighty 8th Operations Over Germany P-51 Mustang vs Fw 190: Europe 1943-45