Start by marking “Boże Narodzenie w Lost River” as Want to Read:
Boże Narodzenie w Lost River

Boże Narodzenie w Lost River

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  9,297 ratings  ·  1,170 reviews
With the same incomparable style and warm, inviting voice that have made her beloved by millions of readers far and wide, New York Times bestselling author Fannie Flagg has written an enchanting Christmas story of faith and hope for all ages that is sure to become a classic.

Published 2005 by Wydawnictwo Literackie (first published January 2004)

Taryn Rydell
I enjoyed this heartwarming story about a lonely man that moves to a very small town for what he believes will be his last Christmas. I enjoyed the humor with which the author weaves this tale, the characters are rich and believable, and the relationship between the man and the Redbird (Jack) is touching and sweet. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that the Fannie Flagg that I knew as a comedian was also an accomplished author. This is an easy Christmas tale that I would recommend to readers ...more
Phrynne
A short, sweet book about life in small town America where good things happen to good people and bad things to bad people. A place where everyone eventually meets the love of their life and lives happily ever after. In other words suspend belief all ye who enter here but just settle back and enjoy it for what it is. Not every book you read has to be a literary masterpiece!
Jenny
Absolutely the best Christmas book ever! It's sweet, funny and touching. I've read it 4 times and given copies to friends. Fannie Flagg herself reads the audio version and I hear she's working on a movie version. I vote for William H. Macy for the lead.
Ashley
Better than warm chocolate chip cookies and a fire in the fireplace, Fannie Flagg always makes me feel good about the world and people in general. A Redbird Christmas tells a very touching story about a man on the brink of death in Chicago who is advised to move South to a more temperate climate or risk dying from pneumonia. With only a medical pension, he cannot afford Florida, but he can afford to rent a room on the Lost River in Alabama where, for the first time in his life, he finds a home ...more
Serendipity Reviews
I am so glad that I managed to find this gorgeous little book by Fannie Flagg, it really did give me a glow in my heart. Fannie Flagg is one of those authors who makes you believe that miracles really do happen. Her books are just so heartwarming to read and full of surprises and wonder.

This is a rather short book but packed full to the brim of interesting and heartwarming characters. The book begins with Oswald, a depressed former alcoholic who has been given months to live. After reading a br
Tricia
What a talented writer. I don't usually enjoy the run of the mill, sappy sweet Christmas stories, but lucky for me this wasn't one of them. While the story is very sweet, it isn't predictable. The characters are varied, and like-able, and the story moves quickly, and stays interesting. A great Christmas story.
Ann
Predictable. Dripping with cliche. Gaggably sappy.

Dying man is cured. Crippled orphan girl is healed and gets a mommy and a daddy. Broken-hearted bachelor finally gets to marry the true love of his youth. Spinster finds true love. Dead bird that everyone loved comes back (sort of) as a Christmas miracle. Do I need to go on?

The rest of my book club LOVED it. What does that say about me? About my book club? Not sure.
Lisa
A Redbird Christmas, by Fannie Flagg
★★★★ ½

Synopsis: Deep in the southernmost part of Alabama, along the banks of a lazy winding river, lies the sleepy little community known as Lost River, a place that time itself seems to have forgotten. After a startling diagnosis from his doctor, Oswald T. Campbell leaves behind the cold and damp of the oncoming Chicago winter to spend what he believes will be his last Christmas in the warm and welcoming town of Lost River. There he meets the postman who deli
Kandice
I audio-ed this and for anyone who has read Flagg and is familiar with her friendly style of story telling I cannot recommend listening to her read her won books enough. I grew up in West Virginia so Flagg’s accent reminds me of any number of my relatives. She sounds so sweet and forgiving even when describing someone on a drinking binge. You know what I mean, like when someone talks about how dumb or ugly someone is, but throws a “bless their heart” in every once in a while to take away the sti ...more
Suzy
I love Fannie Flagg's storytelling. She portrays small southern (U.S.) towns in a heartwarming yet truthful way. This is a sweet, not saccharine, story set in Lost River, Alabama with Christmastime as a thread throughout. It's full of characters, some broken, some not who come together to create an "accidental" family with magic happening along the way.

I always enjoy listening to Flagg tell her own story. It struck me this time that she does not voice the characters as professional narrators wou
Elizabeth
This book is so uplifting, comforting and heartwarming.

I want to spend some time in Lost River, Alabama. I want to meet the characters in this book and share a potluck supper with them.

Nidhi
Sweet, heart-warming Christmas story of people of Lost River, Alabama. I loved how Patsy and Jack were on their birthdays. It got me misty-eyed.
Steven Howes
I was a bit disappointed by this offering from Fannie Flagg as I have read several of her other books and enjoyed them a great deal. While this is one of those feel good kind of stories that would make a good made-for-tv "Christmas special", it is just a little too sappy for my liking. Everything just comes together all too predictably and too wonderfully in the end. Perhaps I missed something and this book was written for kids.

The characters are interesting and likeable and the book touches on
Rusty Henrichsen
This is just a delightful book. I first read a condensed version about three years ago and then got the book on Amazon. It's about a man who is given a death sentence by his doctor. He changes locations, lifestyles and interests and along the way runs into a delightful little girl.

Two quotes: "On the way back home, Oswald thought about it and wondered which was worse, being an accordion player or being an alcoholic. He figured it was a toss-up." (page 95)
"The only time he did not fish was on Sat
Alexandra
I'm struggling between 2 and 3 stars. I didn't dislike the book, but I didn't really like it either. The town of Lost River sounds like a nice, small town to live in. I wouldn't mind moving there, it sounds beautiful and everyone who lives there is SO nice. But that was my problem with this book. Everything was too nice and perfect. Yes, everyone had their problem of some sort. But the ending was too predictable and sweet. The whole book was, now that I think about it. I don't want something tha ...more
Vickie
A Redbird Christmas is a cute little novel. I have never read Fannie Flagg before but I look forward to reading another one of her novels.

This is a sweet read about a very small Southern town. The people really care for each other and rally around each in times of need. Not quite a Hallmark or Lifetime style read, but a sit back and relax while you enjoy the read!
Nicole
This was the perfect little Christmas book to read beside the Christmas tree while looking out the back window at the seven inches of snow we got and waiting for my family to arrive for our holiday celebration.

Oswald T. Campbell lives in Chicago with no friends, no family, and nothing to look forward to. At his annual check-up, his doctor tells his that after decades of smoking, his lungs are about shot and that a winter sickness will do him in. With a grim outlook, Oswald finds himself headed t
Sidna
What a perfect little Christmas book! A friend who enjoys Fannie Flagg's writing as much as I do lent me her copy of this book. At 207 pages, I could have read this small square book in one sitting, but I started it too late at night so I had finish it the next day.

The book begins in Chicago in November with Oswald T. Campbell going through the cold and snow for his annual medical check-up. Oswald is 52 years old and has been a heavy smoker and an alcoholic. His life has not been a happy one, st
Laurie Carlson
This story takes place over the time frame of 2 Christmas'.
A man moves down to Southern Alabama based upon the advice of his Doctor and a pamphlet his doctor gave him. The pamphlet ended up being from the early 1900's, but the man still decided to move there and give it a go because his health supposedly was guaranteed to get better. He had some severe breathing disorders and this place was in an area that was known to help him breathe better.
He got to this small town and they took him in as if
Carly Svamvour
This one came up for a discussion many moons ago - guess it was around Christmas . . . duh . . . I'm just getting around to listening to my audio version now.

I like the way it's kind of serious yet light and funny at the same time.

I like the way the old guy described how he never seemed to fit into the world - how he was probably born with odd socks, etc.

.............

I'll add to my review when I'm a little farther along . . . or finished entirely.

I finished listening to it tonight - delightful
Ricki Jill Treleaven
When I picked-up a copy of Fannie Flagg's latest book entitled The All-Girl Filling Station's Last Reunion from the store, the saleslady asked me if I'd ever read Flagg's A Redbird Christmas. When I told her I had not, she said that it's one of her favorite Christmas stories, and she rereads it every year during the holidays. Well, I had to find a copy, and I'm so happy I did!

Anne
Although a little over-sweet and filled with characters that seem just a little too good to be true, A Redbird Christmas is the perfect pick-me-up read for this time of the year. Settled inside, in front of the fire with some hot chocolate and a mince pie or two and pick up this story - and dont put it down until you've finished it.
Fannie Flagg has conjured a small town full of larger than life characters who welcome our hero, Oswald Campbell with open arms. Oswald wants to spend some time away
SaraJayne
This was a fast, easy read; lighthearted (mostly) and a heart-warming tale. There was enough suspense in the middle to keep me going - into the wee hours, in fact. The author made us care about the characters, such that at the end, I even shed a (view spoiler) tear or two.

There isn't a lot of meat to this book, so I wouldn't recommend it for book clubs (now that I've read it ... it was me who found this on a list of Christmas books here on GoodReads and suggested it to my b
Ana Rebelo
Acho que só não atribui uma estrela a este livro porque o consegui acabar sem que ele se tornasse muito aborrecido. No entanto, este livro não tem uma história muito cativante, nem sequer conclui de forma a trazer alguma finalidade aos protagonistas. Oswall T Campbell, a personagem principal, está supostamente à beira da morte e o médico aconselha-o a mudar de cidade, para um local mais amplo e calmo. Ele muda-se para Rio Perdido e integra-se na comunidade. Sem fazer grandes menções ao resto da ...more
Justin
Not my normal kind of read but I did enjoy it. At least until the end. The last few pages lost me. I found myself calling out "Really" multiple times. It was a little to neat and perfect of an ending for me. I like happy endings but this one had an ideal ending for all of the major characters, not just one or two, ALL. If you can get over that kind of ending than I can recommend this to anyone of any age.

The book is about a down on his luck negative Ned who takes a trip down to Lost River Alabam
Autumn♥♥
I finished this in one day which is rare and means I really liked it and could not put it down. There are many mysterious twists and turns to keep it interesting to the very end. Its very heart warming for Christmas too.
Susan Leith
love a Christmas book. I so loved this book on first reading so have given it five stars. on third reading it is maybe down to a three and a half, but it is still heartwarming
Karen
I only gave it 4 stars due to the epilogue. It was very enjoyable but the epilogue was just a little too neatly wrapped up for my tastes.
Kandice
Phoebe
Oswald has nothing to live for: no family, friends, job or health. Living in the cold of Chicago has worsened his lung condition so his doctor suggests he move to a warmer area. With nothing to lose and nowhere else to go, he moves Lost River, Alabama. Not only does his health improve but he also makes friends and finds passion in life.

A Redbird Christmas is a feel good story full of hope. It was a quick read and, like all of her other stories, the characters were warm and friendly. This is a go
Novel Books &...: Flagg, Fannie - A Redbird Christmas - Informal Buddy Read; Starts December 12, 2014 15 162 Jan 29, 2015 02:10AM
Duluth Divas: A Red Bird Christmas 2 1 Aug 28, 2014 09:12PM
Bookworm Bitches : December 2013: A Redbird Christmas 31 93 Dec 28, 2013 09:40AM
College English 6 52 Oct 04, 2013 11:14AM
Hamburg Book Club: December's Book 1 10 Nov 17, 2011 05:24AM
  • The Autobiography of Santa Claus (The Christmas Chronicles #1)
  • The Shepherd, the Angel, and Walter the Christmas Miracle Dog
  • The Christmas Tree
  • The Christmas Pearl
  • The Christmas Clock
  • The Paper Bag Christmas
  • The Christmas Hope (Christmas Hope, #3)
  • Finding Father Christmas (Father Christmas, #1)
  • The Christmas Letters
  • All I Want for Christmas
  • The Christmas Wish
  • Christmas at Harrington's
  • Call Me Mrs. Miracle
  • Christmas at The Mysterious Bookshop
  • Miracle on 34th Street
  • A Dog Named Christmas (A Dog Named Christmas #1)
  • On Strike for Christmas
  • The Christmas Scrapbook: A Harmony Story (Harmony, #6.5)
Fannie Flagg began writing and producing television specials at age nineteen and went on to distinguish herself as an actress and writer in television, films, and the theater.

She is the author of the New York Times bestsellers Daisy Fay and the Miracle Man, Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe (which was produced by Universal Pictures as Fried Green Tomatoes), Welcome to the World, Baby G
More about Fannie Flagg...
Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe The All-Girl Filling Station's Last Reunion Welcome to the World, Baby Girl! (Elmwood Springs, #1) Can't Wait to Get to Heaven (Elmwood Springs, #3) Standing in the Rainbow (Elmwood Springs, #2)