Start by marking “Under the Boardwalk (Costas Sisters #1)” as Want to Read:
Under the Boardwalk (Costas Sisters #1)

Under the Boardwalk (Costas Sisters #1)

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  2,121 ratings  ·  77 reviews
Ariana Costas may be a college professor in Vermont, but she's still a Jersey girl at heart-at least according to her lovable, eccentric Greek family. Then her twin sister, Zoe disappears and her Jersey roots tug hard. Soon Ari is back home, ducking bullets and, to her chagrin, getting rescued by a hunk in a black leather jacket. Detective Quinn Donovan takes one look at t ...more
Published June 8th 2004 by Warner Books (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Under the Boardwalk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Under the Boardwalk

The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. SalingerGo Ask Alice by Beatrice SparksBrave New World by Aldous HuxleyHelter Skelter by Vincent BugliosiThe Day the Music Died by Ed Gorman
Book and Theme from Song Title or Lyrics
66th out of 217 books — 36 voters
Something About You by Julie JamesA Lot Like Love by Julie JamesWild Card by Lora LeighUnlawful Contact by Pamela ClareThe Darkest Hour by Maya Banks
I Love A Man In Uniform
335th out of 1,053 books — 1,068 voters

More lists with this book...

Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim)
Jani
All i can say is . . . thank goodness that's over.
Diane  Morasco
Fun! What a quirky cast of characters. I laughed so much my sides ached. Phillips definitely knows how to blend humor, hi jinks & searing heat into 304 pages.

Brava, Ms. Phillips for bringing on the smoldering sexual intensity. Whoa, baby!

Under the Boardwalk weaves together a tapestry that is rich w/ lovable, eccentric & vibrant characters. The action is endless & the plot fast-paced.

I loved Ari & Quinn. Spicy... spicy now! Oh, I'm sorry, Quinn came to mind ;p. Whew! Is it hot in
Ericka
Well Carly Phillips did it again. I read this book in 2 weeks and one of the best reads. She kept me hanging I was not able to guess what happened to Ari's sister. I also liked the way she tied together the missing of the twin sister, the monkey, Sam and the love story of Ari and Quinn all into one book. This is why I love Carly Phillips. I highly recommend this book. I guess everyone has someone crazy in their family and the family she has created for Ari is not only different but one that seem ...more
Amy
50 pages in and I just cannot take any more. Some potential, the missing twin and eccentric family, but the writing is lousy, the characters hard to believe, and the insta-lust! UGH. What the heck?
No thank you.
I hoped having a college professor as a main character would finally turn the typical Any Woman chick flick cliche heroine into someone intelligent, but I see no evidence of Ariana's extended education. And I can't stand Quinn's hard knock flashbacks. Okay, he's a tortured hero. ENOUGH! Th
Penney
A fun, light story but there were too many questionable and unrealistic things going on to make it truly enjoyable. And why is Ari the bad guy in everything and the only one who needs to change? Meh, not my best read, but not my worst. I give it a low 3/5 stars.
Catharine
What was I thinking when I picked out this book? The characters have as much depth and finesse as muslin sheets. The author's voice is as flat and as irritating as computer-generated voice mail greetings. And it all goes downhill from there.
Christie
This one was a little different from most of Carly's books, it was not as enjoyable as her others but still a good read. It was a little hard to follow and stay interested, not as sexy as her others!
Kristine
It was boring, I don't know why I even finished it. No plot, shallow characters
Carrie Hinkel-Gill
Oct 28, 2011 Carrie Hinkel-Gill rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Any fan of Carly Phillips or romance in general
I had just finished Damned (book 2 in the Crusade series by Nancy Holder and Debbie Viguie), and was ready to pick up the ARC of the first book in their newest series (Wolf Springs Chronicles) Unleashed. In fact, I read a few pages of it before this book called to me.

That's usually what will happen sometimes, books will call out to me and demand to be read. The fact that this book has been sitting in a stack beside my bed (where I do much of my reading lately) for some time probably helped.

I p
Kathy
Thea Zhu
Read it the first time like five years ago and remember liking it back then. I was at the airport looking for something easy and fun to read for my 10hrs-flight. Recently I re-ordered it on my kindle, because I was in the mood for reading something with romance and humor and remembered this book from back then - I've gotta say, still like it!

I absolutely adore the Costas-clan, what a great family!

Didn't know it was sequel back then, looking forward to the second volume of the Costas Sisters "Su
Marlene
A sort of run-of-the-mill, predictable, love story. Fine for a feel-good book, but not much challenge. Lady looking for her missing twin (but we soon know that she is OK so there is no mystery there), falls in love with the undercover cop, spends the pages trying to find herself and accept her crazy family, etc. Of course there has to be some descriptive sex thrown in for good measure. Just not much to it.
Kris
3.5 STARS

"Ariana Costas may be a college professor in Vermont, but she's still a Jersey girl at heart-at least according to her lovable, eccentric Greek family. Then her twin sister, Zoe disappears and her Jersey roots tug hard. Soon Ari is back home, ducking bullets and, to her chagrin, getting rescued by a hunk in a black leather jacket. Detective Quinn Donovan takes one look at the windblown beauty-and then looks again. If this lady isn't Zoe Costas, it's someone who looks exactly like her. S
April
I really liked this book. I really got pulled into the two main characters. They are just the kind that I like. Both Quinn and Ari are a little flawed and have to battle their own insecurities to both find out who they are individually and find their way as a couple. The supporting cast is great two. Every member of Ari's family is delightfully entertaining, and Conner is a loveable curmudgeon who you root for in his relationship with Maria. The plot is good, too. You get sucked into the missing ...more
Joyce
Ariana and Zoe Costas are twins in an interesting but sometimes ridiculous family of con artists. After graduating with a psychology degree Ariana accepts a job in Vermont where she can start a new life and escape her family. She returns 5 years later when her family informs her Zoe is missing and presumed dead.
Connie N.
This is a cute mystery/romance combo set in an Atlantic City casino. Ariana Costas heads home to New Jersey from her life in Vermont as a college professor, in search of her missing twin sister. Ariana has moved away from her eccentric con family to find security and normalcy, but in the process she's lost contact with her family. She gets involved with Quinn Donovan, the undercover cop investigating the casino where Zoe was last seen. Nice romance, very fun secondary characters, interesting bac ...more
Sassy
Nov 26, 2014 Sassy added it
Read before like family characters but think read before and a bit boring. More detailed romantic scenes would help.
Miss Meghan
I read most all of Carly Phillips' books when I was in college and needed something light and fluffy to break up the monotony of school work. They are the perfect beach/vacation/airplane/in-between-classes books.
Joanne
“ A fast paced, flirty and adventurous romance.” – Booklist

“Lighthearted … think beach read.” – Publisher’s Weekly

“Bestselling author Phillips is back with lots more humor and zaniness. Offbeat and fun-loving characters give this book heart.” – Romantic Times BOOKclub Magazine

All these review comments sum up this book well. Reminded me of Nora Roberts “Hot Ice” but the characters were more interesting – an eccentric Greek family, twins, dysfunctional relationships and Spank the monkey all in ca
Bookhooking (Tanya Childress)
What a great read! A real page turner for me. I loved the characters, including the monkey, Spank who had me laughing. This was my first read of Carly Phillips and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It had my interest from the very beginning and I finished it in less than a week (which is saying a lot for me because I am a slow reader lol). I loved Ari, a very smart and somewhat stubborn woman and Quinn who was very sexy with a heart of gold. Great story with some suspense and a happy ending. The only dis ...more
Jill
I only read this b/c I had a copy at home that wasn't a library book and I needed something to take to Mexico. I wish I would have finished it there so I could have left it--they had a little library of sorts they wheeled out by the pool each day--because it's only good enough to be a "beach" read. Like other Carly Phillips books, for me, there is a great story idea and it's just so-so. I would actually have to give this one 2 and 1/2 stars though, because of the main character's quirky family a ...more
Deborah
Too much sex in it for me (never thought I'd hear myself say that...)
Barb
The main characters of this book, Quinn and Ariana, are lovable, stubborn, and filled with enough self doubt that it keeps their life goals just out of reach. But slowly through the chapters, their resolve is coming through, and as a result, love, and happiness are within their grasp. Throw in a crazy family, a cute but rude monkey and a troubled teenage orphan, and you have the workings of another great book by Carly Phillips. I gave this one a 5 star.
Char (1RadReader59)
I really enjoyed the whole Costas' family. The are so wacky & wonderfully funny. Even the monkey Spank. I like the way Carly has a way of making a family of they would call the non-typical people. What some would call the throw aways. Not her she takes them & makes them so real. That you feel like you have know Quinn, Ari, Connor, & Sam forever. Then you add the antics of the Costas and boom the fun story unfolds. I highly recommend.
Kari
May 23, 2011 Kari rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
Cute Story. Not much in the way of suspense since you know what happened to Zoe almost from the start. The family was kind of annoying and I am surprised that a family lke that could get away with so many cons and not do any jail time. If I was Ari, I would probably be moritfied at my family as well! I liked the chemistry between Quinn and Ari. I look forward to the next one that deals with Ari's sister Zoe.
April Suter
Ari returns home to her crazy family because her sister is missing, assumed dead. Ari doesn't believe it and goes to the casino where Zoe worked to get more information. She ends up with meeting Quinn, who isn't what who she thinks he is. This unique Greek family has a monkey, a few on the edge enterprises and a runaway girl who wants to live there.

271 pages
As12600
Julie
I have not read a Carly Phillips book before this. I really enjoyed it. It had some out of the ordinary family styles; although who is to say what is ordinary?? A little risque, as Mama would say; her reviews have given her a 6 out of 5 for sex. Mixed with some action. I found it refreshing and entertaining. I didn't want it to end.
Kim
this book was pretty lame. It took me a long time to read it because it seemed like it was written for five year olds. Except for the sex bits, which were unrealistic and uneventful as well. I suppose it was along the same vibe as Fifty Shades of Grey, so if you liked that ( which I did not ) you would probably like this.
  • Big Girls Don't Cry (Girls Do Or Don't, #3)
  • Too Hot To Sleep
  • Santa, Baby
  • Getting Lucky (Marine, #2)
  • Safe Harbor
  • This Must Be Love
  • Everlong (Daughters of Askara #1)
  • Sweet Spot (Bakery Sisters, #2)
  • Underfoot (Bellagio #2)
  • Dark Crusade (Unbound #4)
  • Hot Summer Nights (Bluebonnet, #2.5; Serendipity, #3.5; Hope, #0.5)
  • Better Off Wed (Annabelle Archer, #1)
  • Once Upon A Blind Date
  • Naughty or Nice?
  • Invitations To Seduction (3-in-1)
  • When Bruce Met Cyn (Visitation, North Carolina, #3)
  • X Marks the Spot (The X-Files: Middle Grade, #1)
New York Times and USA Today Bestselling Author Carly Phillips N.Y. Times and USA Today Bestselling Author Carly Phillips has written over 40 sexy contemporary romance novels that today's readers identify with and enjoy. After a successful 15 year career with various New York publishing houses, Carly is making the leap to Indie author, with the goal of giving her readers more books at a faster pac ...more
More about Carly Phillips...

Costas Sisters (2 books)
  • Summer Lovin' (Costas Sisters, #2)
Hot Number (Hot Zone #2) Hot Stuff (Hot Zone, #1) The Bachelor (Chandler Brothers, #1) Serendipity (Serendipity, #1) The Playboy (Chandler Brothers, #2)