Start by marking “Cycle of Hatred (World of WarCraft, #1)” as Want to Read:
Cycle of Hatred (World of WarCraft, #1)

Cycle of Hatred (World of Warcraft #1)

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  1,911 ratings  ·  53 reviews
The Burning Legion has been defeated, and eastern regions of Kalimdor are now shared by two nations: the orcs of Durotar, led by their noble Warchief, Thrall; and the humans of Theramore, led by one of the most powerful mages alive -- Lady Jaina Proudmoore. But the tentative peace between orcs and humans is suddenly crumbling. Random attacks against Durotar's holdings sugg ...more
Published January 31st 2006 by Simon & Schuster Adult Publishing Group (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Cycle of Hatred, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cycle of Hatred

Tyler James
The Cycle of Hatred was a nicely developed book because it included many details and lore pertaining to the history of the Warcraft Universe. The lore was interesting and made me want to read on because I simply love the Warcraft Universe and play World of Warcraft, a game based upon this universe. However, the reason that this book was rated lower was due to the lack of a real conflict and upon reading this book it seemed to not really have a 'danger' to make you want to keep reading. If you we ...more
El-jorro
Of all of the Warcraft Novels that Bookworm has read Cycle of Hatred has been considered one of the worst.

Is this true?

Let’s find out:

Debra Akageorge
I love all most things that are Sci-Fi/Fantasy: books most, then games and movies. I have been playing World of Warcraft since friends introduce to it when Burning Crusade game out. I love the idea of the the game, especially the cut scenes or quest that tell you the back story. Finally I thought I would read one of the WoW novels, plus my friend had been bugging me too. I read Cycle of Hatred (World of Warcraft #1) by Keith R.A. DeCandido. This is my first novel from Blizzard, as well as, WoW. ...more
Leeanna
World of Warcraft: Cycle of Hatred, by Keith R. A. DeCandido

Set a year prior to the opening of the World of Warcraft MMO, "Cycle of Hatred" would perhaps better be titled "Cycle of Blah." Unlike most novels set in the Warcraft universe, this one doesn't really add anything at all to the world.

The plot is mediocre and has no twists or turns - it's straightforwardly flat. You easily guess what's going to happen. Jaina Proudmoore and Thrall aren't true to their established characterization; it fee
Amy
Being that this is only the second WoW book I've ever read, I only have one other book and author to hold it up to and that's Christie Golden's Athas... This book in comparison is really not that good.

But, as usual, I still loved Jaina Proudmore AND Colonel Lorena was an awesome new character for me to get to know and enjoy. This book had three powerful woman at the hem of it and that's the reason it got a 3 star instead of a 2 from me. Jaina, Lorena, and Aegwynn were refreshing to read and qui
Daniel Peterson
World of Warcraft: Cycle of Hatred written by Keith R. A. DeCandido.

This book starts out right after the war againest the Burning Legion. The orcs and the humans made an alliance during the war and, as the title describes, things are on thin ice between the two. Lady Jaina Proudmoore and Warchief Thrall are the leaders of the two races and are feverishly working to keep the alliance between the two races. While Thrall and Jaina are working on keeping the alliance, a force is trying to rip the al
Benjamin Epstein
Though I like Fantasy, I don't think I ever read a book before based on a popular video game series. Still, I did enjoy the game, and was inspired by the depiction of Orcs for my own work, so I picked up the first book in the Warcraft series and took a look.

I was more impressed than I expected.

Granted, it has what you expect from a Warcraft book: fighting, politics, demons, secret cults. But most appealing of all is that it has clever characterization, even from particular people you would not
Dan
I really wanted to enjoy Cycle of Hatred, but there are just so many things holding this book back from realizing its true potential. It is a novel difficult to recommend to newcomers of Warcraft due to its reliance on existing lore, and likewise difficult to recommend to veterans since it adds so little to the Warcraft experience with its simple characters and their tendency to spout endless exposition at eachother. The plot never really goes anywhere and readers will quickly grow frustrated at ...more
Blake
Dec 27, 2007 Blake rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Huge Nerds
My brother gave this to me as a joke for Christmas, since we both play World of Warcraft with tongue planted firmly in cheek.

The book, of course, is deadly serious about things like orc/human race relations...

I think it's funny and mostly harmless, thought it may be killing my brain.
S.M. Johnson
This book makes me wish there was a 3.5 stars. I dunno, it certainly wasn't bad and had its moments, but I'd reserve a 5 star rating for "classics" and a 4 star rating for stuff like my favorite Warcraft novel, "The Last Guardian".

Anyways, this book. As I said, not bad for what it is, which is Warcraft-related light reading. My main issues with it were primarily that a.) there is never really a huge sense of danger, and b.) there's nothing really gripping about the story as a whole. You're readi
Paulo "paper books always" Carvalho
Doris
Pretty good so far, with a somewhat choppy writing style.

However, I was just jarred out of the story by an idiotic mistake that any speaker of English ought not make: on page 87 "she destroyed only his avatar....until [she] sired..." end of idiocy. At least thus far.

(For those who are not native English speakers, a she cannot SIRE anyone. A she can produce, birth, create, or have, but to sire requires male input (pun intended).)

Okay - another complaint. SITE is not the same as SIGHT: the first i
Andrea
It's been on my to-do list for ages to read all the Warcraft novels out there. I've been playing the games since Warcraft 2, might as well owe up to it! Years ago I read Day of the Dragon and genuinely disliked it. As Blizzard put just about all their lore developments prior to MoP in books and comics, I wanted to read up.

Goodreads told me this is the first book, so off I went. It's incredibly short. Set three years after Warcraft 3, pretty much at the start of the World of Warcraft, it is set i
Kyle Kleier
This book is amazing. It dates post burning legion/ warcraft 3 and pre world of warcraft. It shows the adventures of jaina and thrall as well as insight into the hatred the humans have for the orcs and the orcs for the humans. It shows the hardships of diplomacy and the struggle for peace. 8/10
Petr Čapek
tady hodnotit nebudu... každopádně mhouřím obě oči a dám tři i když na ně nemá, na druhou stranu dvě jsou možná málo někomu by se to líbit i mohlo

Richard
a good introduction into Warcraft lore
Keeana
started off good then blah!
Jeremiah Johnson
Forcing the Alliance and Horde to be enemies once again was a poor decision in my opinion. I really wish that World of Warcraft had continued the story with them working toward peace with something else instead of once again pitting them against one another. This really hurt the story in my opinion, and this book suffered because of it.
The story wasn't very well written, but that could be due to it being an afterthought after the game was released.
Carol
Pretty much all this book did for me was give me a better understanding of Jaina Proudmore and her place in Warcraft lore. I wasn't too fond of DeCandido's characterization of Thrall, but he managed to bring more life out of his minor characters, such as a certain all-too-serious female lieutenant. Overall, it was pretty good, but I still prefer Christie Golden among the Warcraft authors.
Bob
I thought this book was enjoyable and engaging. I've seen it slammed on Amazon, but I thought the book was well-written with an engaging storyline. I play World of Warcraft occasionally, but I don't think familiarity with the game is necessary to follow the book. If anything, having read the book might enrich the game-playing experience as one goes into areas that are described in the book.
Marco
The frail alliance between the orcs and the human in Durotar is shaky and some forces are working to destabilize them even more. Lady Proudmore and Thrall appears to be the only one believing in it. Even if the scale of the events of the story is not as epic as the one the previous volumes got us used to, the plot is quite intriguing and this short book is quite hard to put down once started.
Banyarwinkyaw
i wanna read that book. that shitty website is complicated for me. tell me how to read
Tatiana
The writing style was mundane, I wrote similarly in the 8th grade, I'd like to think I'm past that point. A a lot of action was squeezed (rather poorly) in very few pages, the action didn't exactly had space to unravel. Otherwise, it has been informative.
It wasn't such a bad novel, but it probably is one of the not-so-good books in the series.
Filip
It appears that (thankfully) the first book with "World of Warcraft" trademark would be its worst. Book is full of non-existant characters and the pacing is much like playing original Worlf of Warcraft. Also, in some parts it tries to mimic modern thrillers which didn't work the way it should have. Real bad and easily forgettable.
Wachlin007 Hotmail
If you haven't played any of the warcraft computer games, you probably won't appreciate this book that much. This book shows how difficult it is for the horde and alliance leaders to maintain neutrality. The leaders want peace, but many of their followers are bloodthirsty and ignorant. I liked this book.
Michael Pate
It was okay but not great.

The book focused on a limited time period in Warcraft history - after III and before WoW launched. And while there was a big revelation involving a supporting character, not much else happened.

I don't really feel like Keith was given the opportunity to do very much.
Aik Koh
It's good but it's more of a filler to explain the enmity between the Alliance and Horde even after pushing back the Burning Legion. It further adds on the difficulty of the leaders controlling their respective race who are at peace only on the surface with dark underlying hatred for each other.
Theresa
It was ok. I'll give it that. But I'm just not a fan of the whole Aegewynn and Medivh story. It kinda bores me.

Thrall was amazing as always. Love how he badassedly(yes I used a made up word)came and killed one of his own because it needed to be done. He's pretty awesome.

Demons. meh.
Meghan
Good Story, Awesome Characters. This is my second time reading this book. I had a day of reading to waste and wanted a short and easy read, so I picked up to re-read and refresh my mind on the lore within :)
a good and really easy read for any interested in warcraft lore :)
Hugo Saraiva
  • Night of the Dragon (World of Warcraft, #5)
  • Beyond the Dark Portal (World of WarCraft, #4)
  • Rise of the Horde (World of WarCraft, #2)
  • The Last Guardian (WarCraft, #3)
  • Of Blood and Honor (WarCraft, #4)
  • World of Warcraft: Ashbringer
  • World of Warcraft, Vol. 1
  • Vol'jin: Shadows of the Horde (World of Warcraft, #12)
Serenity Nevermore (Supernatural, #1) Bone Key (Supernatural, #3) Heart of the Dragon (Supernatural, #4) Nova (StarCraft: Ghost, #1)

“The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know'. The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything.” 7 likes
“The world tells us what we need to know when we are ready to know it and not before. That's the way of things.” 6 likes