Start by marking “The Well-Designed Mixed Garden: Building Beds and Borders with Trees, Shrubs, Perennials, Annuals, and Bulbs” as Want to Read:

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  95 ratings  ·  8 reviews
The Well-Designed Mixed Garden is a design book with a difference. Written for gardeners who are passionate about plants of all kinds, it reflects decades of professional experience and artistic innovation.

Tracy DiSabato-Aust provides not only inspiration but also scrupulously organized information on design and connoisseur plants. A gallery of detailed design plans is in
Published August 26th 2009 by Timber Press (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Well-Designed Mixed Garden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Well-Designed Mixed Garden

Lee Anne
This is wayyyyyyy above my skill set, as I couldn't even remember the difference between a perennial and an annual until I started planning my front yard flower beds. But Tracy DiSabato-Aust is a local author (and occasional Barnes & Noble customer), and this book contains many pictures of her own yard, so it serves as inspiration and reference. There is also a lot of good information about color mixing.
I did get some good information from this book, although I found a couple of her other books more useful on the whole. She seems to be advocating the type of gardening I've tended to do, although I've never been as deliberate or thoughtful about it as she has. The photos are beautiful and nice for inspiration.
One of the best gardening books in my collection. Artistic, well presented, easy to grasp her design concept.
The author is one of the rock stars of gardening.

Combines color photographs, design plans, and lists to provide a plethora of ideas for mixed gardens.

Worth reading more than once.

I read the library copy, but worth buying.
Well organized and full of great detail. Contains anything you would want to know (and maybe more than you thought you needed to know) about gardening. The author is local and has a great reputation for her knowledge of gardening.
Emily Buckingham
This is a classic text for anyone building a perennial border. My only criticism is that sometimes she writes pretty technically on topics like color and it almost seems like a textbook. It's not a book you can skim.
Sandy T
I first got this from the library, and then bought my own. It's a fabulous reference book... love her style!
Stacy Ling
Another great design book for four season color. Love it.
Brenda marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2015
-- is currently reading it
Aug 09, 2015
Vickie marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2015
E. seaberg
E. seaberg marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The Well-Tended Perennial Garden: Planting & Pruning Techniques 50 High-Impact, Low-Care Garden Plants