Start by marking “In a Gilded Cage (Molly Murphy Mysteries, #8)” as Want to Read:
In a Gilded Cage (Molly Murphy Mysteries, #8)

In a Gilded Cage (Molly Murphy #8)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  1,864 ratings  ·  134 reviews
It’s Easter Sunday 1918, and Irish immigrant Molly Murphy has agreed to march down Fifth Avenue with the sign-wielding suffragettes from Vassar—a civil act of protest that lands her in jail. Molly’s betrothed, Police Captain Daniel Sullivan, manages to spring her from the clink, though his hands are full dealing with Chinese opium gangs. But as soon as she’s free, Molly ma ...more
Published March 2nd 2010 by Minotaur Books (first published March 17th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about In a Gilded Cage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In a Gilded Cage

Laurie
Molly Murphy, Irish émigré to New York City, has her own detective agency, and definitely doesn’t want to be any man’s servant. Given that this is 1903, this may be a problem. But she gets enough jobs to survive, and her ‘young man’, Daniel Sullivan, who is a NYPD detective, is mostly understanding of this.

When her neighbors- the lesbian couple Sid and Gus- introduce her to some fellow Vassar alums, she gets a couple of new cases. One woman, an orphan, wants to find the truth about her birth; a
Carol
Another good entry in the Molly Murphy mysteries. Molly solves her cases and also gets slightly involved in the Women's Suffrage movement. Good story with several plot twists. Nothing too deep...light easy reading.
Regina
Try as I might, I never figure out who did it in one of Rhys Bowen's books, and I think I've read all of them now. I love this series and really enjoyed this particular book. Molly Murphy is such a great character and doesn't take any guff from her young man Daniel Sullivan. In a Gilded Cage, Molly joins up with women's rights activists from Vassar, solves a series of influenza look-alike murders, and helps a young woman to reclaim her birthright. I enjoy the historical setting and the swiftly m ...more
Ed
#8 in the Molly Murphy series. Finalist 2010 Bruce Alexander Award.
Molly accompanies neighbors, Gus & Sid, to the Easter Parade where they join Vasser classmates in a Women's Sufferage demonstration. A classmate, Emily, wants to hire Molly to investigate her parentage as she's been told by her guardian that her parents were missionaries in China who died of cholera. As members of Emily's Vasser class begin to succumb to the NYC flu epidemic there seem to be strange coincidences and Molly is
Library-KAT
Molly takes part in the N.Y.C. Easter Parade with a group of Suffragists who are all Vassar graduates.

Emily Boswell hires Molly because she wants to know the truth behind the death of her parents & the Uncle who stole her inheritance...

Then Emily's roommate, Fanny, hires Molly to find out about a philandering husband.....she mysteriously dies as does another friend, Dorcas. Influenza? So say the men in attendance.

Too much of a coincidence? Molly thinks so and begins to investigate further.
Luffy Monkey D.
Yet another solid entry to the Molly Murphy series. It is visibly not as good as the previous one. I'm beginning to wonder if any book in this series will get the elusive 5 stars that I reserve for outstanding books. The trouble with this book's story is that there are no real twists but rather well meaning stabs at misdirection. Without giving much away, I'll mention the reasons for putting Molly's life in danger, the breaking into her house, the name and purpose of a particular poison...

The
Bonnie
Rhys Bowen has reached the zenith of perfection in her eighth novel in the Molly Murphy series. Molly and her private investigation business are in the midst of influenza season epidemic and her friends Gus and Sid and several Vassar graduates are picketing for women's rights to vote and enlist Molly to join in a parade to carry placards sayings things like: "Women can do anything a man can do except vote." When men started taunting the women, the police arrested the women for inciting a riot an ...more
Kathy
In a Gilded Cage is a return to normalcy for Molly Murphy's young man, Daniel Sullivan, as he is reinstated to his position as Captain in the New York City police force. Daniel is ready to get on with life now, which to him means settling down with Molly as his wife and moving to a home that is their own. Molly, is anything but settled, as she is introduced to more new aspects of the independent woman. Her friends, Sid and Gus bring Molly into the awareness of the women's suffragette movement, t ...more
Susan
I enjoyed this book. Molly is really finding her own. I hope that marrying Daniel does not short-stop Molly's development as an interesting character.

I have seen other series where the author 'promises' not to allow the protagonist's marriage to diminish her spirits or deter her activities (always it's a female character). Then a wedding happens in the next novel and the rest of the series is about the protagonist making excuses about why 'just this time' it is OK to be a doormat and give into
Mark Baker
In 1903 New York City, Molly is working on two cases - one tracking down information on an orphan's parents, the other trying to get proof on a cheating husband. When one of her clients turns up dead, Molly really has her hands full. These books are a wonderful trip back in time. There is a strong sense of place and time. But the mystery is strong and the characters grow in every book.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Dharia Scarab
Unfortunately this was the worst yet in the series. It was obvious who the murderer would be and how it would be done even before the first person died. And I didn't even read the back cover.

I have one more book in this series I picked up before I'd started reading them, but once I've finished that one, I'll be calling this series done.

1 star... This book was bad, so bad
Ash Bruxvoort
Rhys Bowen's In a Gilded Cage is part of the Molly Murphy Mystery series. Molly Murphy is an Irish immigrant living in New York City during the beginning of the suffrage movement. Her neighbors, Sid and Gus, are lesbians and women's right activists. They appear for short periods throughout the story to invite Molly to marches or parties, but their presence as never as heavy as it is in the beginning. Molly, Sid, and Gus march in a parade and are eventually thrown in jail. Molly is not afraid lik ...more
Patricia
Reading a Molly Murphy book is like sitting down with an old friend. Molly is one brave woman and believes in her own ability as a detective and as a woman. She is a lot of fun, too.

Molly joins her friends Elena Goldfarb and Augusta Walcott in the Easter Parade. The group is marching for women’s rights. Many people feel that women should not make such a public exhibition and their march is not well received. When the marchers are arrested, Daniel, Molly's boyfriend, comes to their rescue.

Influen
Ursula
In the newest book in the Molly Murphy series, Molly investigates the ancestry of a woman that, orphaned at birth, tries to find her parents.

Then another case showed up (connected to the first one), with the Poindexter family in the center. This client and more women die, and it is unclear who could have a motive of killing such a divers group of women (even if most of them know each other).

Molly's beau, a police captain, incidentally investigates overlapping crimes. Information that lead to no
Natalie
Determined, spirited and tenacious are just a few of the qualities that describe Miss Molly Murphy. After all, it is not just any young woman that can support the women’s suffrage movement, run a detective agency and keep the attentions of her dashing, attractive, police captain beau all while just recovering from a nasty bout of influenza that has been sweeping its deathly hand across New York City.

At the encouragement of her neighbors, Molly marches headstrong in the Easter parade in a show o
Kate
Molly gets involved with two cases through Sid and Gus's Vassar suffragist friends. An orphan wants Molly to track down her family, and a rich socialite wants Molly to investigate her husband to see if he's having an affair and give her grounds for divorce. Daniel and Molly pursue their relationship, with the same barriers as always. Interesting enough, but once again the mystery and Molly and Daniel's relationship leave something to be desired. Meh.
Liz Martin
Molly Murphy is a detective in New York City at the turn of the century who is hired to trace the family of a supposed orphan. However, when her client's friends begin dying in rapid succession, Molly is determined to prove that it's not simply influenza that killed them but something more devious.

Reading this book was an odd experience. I found the writing itself to be self-conscious and clunky. I figured out "whodunnit" by the halfway point. Yet I couldn't put it down. Perhaps it was the autho
Mary Alice
Diverting detective fiction about Molly Murphy and her private detective agency set in the early 20th century. People are dying from a wicked influenza, but some are also being poisoned, and it's hard to tell which is which. Molly is an early women's libber, even marches as a suffragette in NYC's Easter parade.
cloudyskye
Rhys Bowen is really, really good in giving us that period feeling. For that - and for the New York setting - I like this series. My only (slight) problem is that I have difficulties imagining Molly herself. For the life of me I can't see her as an attractive young woman, in my head she is this nosy little old lady, probably because she reminds me so strongly of a tiny old aunt of mine. Too weird. (Perhaps I'm turning into Miss Marple myself who always finds similarities between people she meets ...more
Kristin
I really enjoyed this installment, much more than the previous two. I just wish that Molly would take her own advice about avoiding that "gilded cage" herself, since the pompous Daniel seems to be firmly back in the picture. Go away, Daniel. Please.
Karen
I liked it! OK, I guess I need to write more.

The mystery itself wasn't hard to work out -- there weren't too many viable suspects -- the method and the why were a bit foggy. Still, it was good to see Molly back to being more proactive.
Lexy
This was an easy read with short chapters making it convenient for intermittent reading. The story line and details were entertaining. I was pleasantly surprised when the truth was finally revealed for the last two of Molly's cases.
Terri Meyer
I think I would give these books only 4 starts but because I'm also listening to the fantastic narration of Nicola Barber I give them a 5! The stories are great but Nicola really brings it to life!
Mary
Molly Murphy's Investigations continue and she is employed by two women, one a society woman, who wants her husband followed to see if he has a mistress, the other a working woman who wants to know about her parents who died when she was a baby. When the society lady who employed her turns up dead things take a turn. Very fun read, keeps the pages turning.
Niece
I love this series about a female turn-of-the-century private investigator named Molly Murphy. The author mixes in historical events with a good mystery. A fun series!
Kimberly Hammond
I really enjoyed this book. Loved Molly's strong, independent spirit. Quick read. Very enjoyable - and I enjoyed the twists and turns of the plot.
Elizabeth
Molly is finally engaged to Daniel! (Tho I'm not crazy about Daniel), I'm happy for Molly. Molly, again, solved a couple of cases, which entails poisoned face cream.
Norma Huss
Another ten for Molly. (Okay, five stars it is.) This book is an historical, emotional, mysterious, fact-filled but fictional marvel. (Is that why all paper copies were sold out and I had to purchase it in e-book form?) The gilded cage refers to the lives of wealthy married women. (Molly isn't one of those and she never intends to be.) The facts in this book come straight from the history of the time, the lives led, the science known, and, I'm sure, a good many events, fictionalized, from news a ...more
Tana
I have enjoyed all the books in the Molly Murphy mystery series and this one was no exception. In this installment Molly is still struggling to make a go of being a female private detective at the turn of the century. She takes on the case of a woman trying to track down the history of her long deceased parents and another case of a woman who thinks her husband is cheating on her. Meanwhile, she becomes active in the women's suffrage movement and manages to get herself arrested and having to be ...more
Doreen
love the mysteries this time! must be because i managed to solve one of them before molly did it... lol
  • Murder in Little Italy (Gaslight Mystery, #8)
  • Getting Old Is to Die For (Gladdy Gold, #4)
  • Hades
  • Two Down (Crossword Mysteries, #2)
  • The Winter of Her Discontent (Rosie Winter, #2)
  • A Curtain Falls (Simon Ziele, #2)
  • Blind Man's Alley
  • Sherlock Holmes and the King's Evil: And Other New Tales Featuring the World's Greatest Detective (Sherlock Holmes, #4)
  • New Year's Eve Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #12)
  • King of the Godfathers
202867
"I'm a New York Times bestselling mystery author, winner of both Agatha and Anthony awards for my Molly Murphy mysteries, set in 1902 New York City.

I also write the Agatha-winning Royal Spyness series, about the British royal family in the 1930s. It's lighter, sexier, funnier, wicked satire. It was voted by readers as best mystery series one year.
I am also known for my Constable Evans books, set
More about Rhys Bowen...

Molly Murphy (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Murphy's Law (Molly Murphy Mysteries #1)
  • Death of Riley (Molly Murphy Mysteries #2)
  • For the Love of Mike (Molly Murphy Mysteries #3)
  • In Like Flynn (Molly Murphy Mysteries #4)
  • Oh Danny Boy (Molly Murphy Mysteries #5)
  • In Dublin's Fair City (Molly Murphy Mysteries, #6)
  • Tell Me, Pretty Maiden (Molly Murphy Mysteries, #7)
  • The Last Illusion (Molly Murphy Mysteries, #9)
  • Bless the Bride (Molly Murphy, #10)
  • Hush Now, Don't You Cry  (Molly Murphy, #11)
Her Royal Spyness (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #1) A Royal Pain (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #2) Royal Blood (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #4) Royal Flush (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #3) Murphy's Law (Molly Murphy Mysteries #1)

“We should all have personal hot air balloons and drift serenely through the clouds.” 12 likes