In a Gilded Cage (Molly Murphy Mysteries, #8)

In a Gilded Cage (Molly Murphy Mysteries #8)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  1,427 ratings  ·  114 reviews
It’s Easter Sunday 1918, and Irish immigrant Molly Murphy has agreed to march down Fifth Avenue with the sign-wielding suffragettes from Vassar—a civil act of protest that lands her in jail. Molly’s betrothed, Police Captain Daniel Sullivan, manages to spring her from the clink, though his hands are full dealing with Chinese opium gangs. But as soon as she’s free, Molly ma...more
Published March 2nd 2010 by Minotaur Books (first published March 17th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about In a Gilded Cage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In a Gilded Cage

Laurie
Molly Murphy, Irish émigré to New York City, has her own detective agency, and definitely doesn’t want to be any man’s servant. Given that this is 1903, this may be a problem. But she gets enough jobs to survive, and her ‘young man’, Daniel Sullivan, who is a NYPD detective, is mostly understanding of this.

When her neighbors- the lesbian couple Sid and Gus- introduce her to some fellow Vassar alums, she gets a couple of new cases. One woman, an orphan, wants to find the truth about her birth; a...more
Regina
Try as I might, I never figure out who did it in one of Rhys Bowen's books, and I think I've read all of them now. I love this series and really enjoyed this particular book. Molly Murphy is such a great character and doesn't take any guff from her young man Daniel Sullivan. In a Gilded Cage, Molly joins up with women's rights activists from Vassar, solves a series of influenza look-alike murders, and helps a young woman to reclaim her birthright. I enjoy the historical setting and the swiftly m...more
Luffy Monkey D.
Yet another solid entry to the Molly Murphy series. It is visibly not as good as the previous one. I'm beginning to wonder if any book in this series will get the elusive 5 stars that I reserve for outstanding books. The trouble with this book's story is that there are no real twists but rather well meaning stabs at misdirection. Without giving much away, I'll mention the reasons for putting Molly's life in danger, the breaking into her house, the name and purpose of a particular poison...

The...more
Bonnie
Rhys Bowen has reached the zenith of perfection in her eighth novel in the Molly Murphy series. Molly and her private investigation business are in the midst of influenza season epidemic and her friends Gus and Sid and several Vassar graduates are picketing for women's rights to vote and enlist Molly to join in a parade to carry placards sayings things like: "Women can do anything a man can do except vote." When men started taunting the women, the police arrested the women for inciting a riot an...more
Kathy
In a Gilded Cage is a return to normalcy for Molly Murphy's young man, Daniel Sullivan, as he is reinstated to his position as Captain in the New York City police force. Daniel is ready to get on with life now, which to him means settling down with Molly as his wife and moving to a home that is their own. Molly, is anything but settled, as she is introduced to more new aspects of the independent woman. Her friends, Sid and Gus bring Molly into the awareness of the women's suffragette movement, t...more
Mark Baker
In 1903 New York City, Molly is working on two cases - one tracking down information on an orphan's parents, the other trying to get proof on a cheating husband. When one of her clients turns up dead, Molly really has her hands full. These books are a wonderful trip back in time. There is a strong sense of place and time. But the mystery is strong and the characters grow in every book.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Ash Bruxvoort
Rhys Bowen's In a Gilded Cage is part of the Molly Murphy Mystery series. Molly Murphy is an Irish immigrant living in New York City during the beginning of the suffrage movement. Her neighbors, Sid and Gus, are lesbians and women's right activists. They appear for short periods throughout the story to invite Molly to marches or parties, but their presence as never as heavy as it is in the beginning. Molly, Sid, and Gus march in a parade and are eventually thrown in jail. Molly is not afraid lik...more
Patricia
Reading a Molly Murphy book is like sitting down with an old friend. Molly is one brave woman and believes in her own ability as a detective and as a woman. She is a lot of fun, too.

Molly joins her friends Elena Goldfarb and Augusta Walcott in the Easter Parade. The group is marching for women’s rights. Many people feel that women should not make such a public exhibition and their march is not well received. When the marchers are arrested, Daniel, Molly's boyfriend, comes to their rescue.

Influen...more
Ursula
In the newest book in the Molly Murphy series, Molly investigates the ancestry of a woman that, orphaned at birth, tries to find her parents.

Then another case showed up (connected to the first one), with the Poindexter family in the center. This client and more women die, and it is unclear who could have a motive of killing such a divers group of women (even if most of them know each other).

Molly's beau, a police captain, incidentally investigates overlapping crimes. Information that lead to no...more
Natalie
Determined, spirited and tenacious are just a few of the qualities that describe Miss Molly Murphy. After all, it is not just any young woman that can support the women’s suffrage movement, run a detective agency and keep the attentions of her dashing, attractive, police captain beau all while just recovering from a nasty bout of influenza that has been sweeping its deathly hand across New York City.

At the encouragement of her neighbors, Molly marches headstrong in the Easter parade in a show o...more
Liz Martin
Molly Murphy is a detective in New York City at the turn of the century who is hired to trace the family of a supposed orphan. However, when her client's friends begin dying in rapid succession, Molly is determined to prove that it's not simply influenza that killed them but something more devious.

Reading this book was an odd experience. I found the writing itself to be self-conscious and clunky. I figured out "whodunnit" by the halfway point. Yet I couldn't put it down. Perhaps it was the autho...more
Kristin
I really enjoyed this installment, much more than the previous two. I just wish that Molly would take her own advice about avoiding that "gilded cage" herself, since the pompous Daniel seems to be firmly back in the picture. Go away, Daniel. Please.
Kimberly Hammond
I really enjoyed this book. Loved Molly's strong, independent spirit. Quick read. Very enjoyable - and I enjoyed the twists and turns of the plot.
Elizabeth
Molly is finally engaged to Daniel! (Tho I'm not crazy about Daniel), I'm happy for Molly. Molly, again, solved a couple of cases, which entails poisoned face cream.
Norma Huss
Another ten for Molly. (Okay, five stars it is.) This book is an historical, emotional, mysterious, fact-filled but fictional marvel. (Is that why all paper copies were sold out and I had to purchase it in e-book form?) The gilded cage refers to the lives of wealthy married women. (Molly isn't one of those and she never intends to be.) The facts in this book come straight from the history of the time, the lives led, the science known, and, I'm sure, a good many events, fictionalized, from news a...more
Tana
I have enjoyed all the books in the Molly Murphy mystery series and this one was no exception. In this installment Molly is still struggling to make a go of being a female private detective at the turn of the century. She takes on the case of a woman trying to track down the history of her long deceased parents and another case of a woman who thinks her husband is cheating on her. Meanwhile, she becomes active in the women's suffrage movement and manages to get herself arrested and having to be...more
Doreen
love the mysteries this time! must be because i managed to solve one of them before molly did it... lol
Karen
Storyline a bit predictable but still a fun, fast "no thinking" required read.
Molly is at it again. Solving mysteries that are very dangerous. A great addition to the series.
Mary Ahlgren
Not a good book to read when you have the flu:)
Erin
Another Molly Murphy mystery in the series. I'm really trying to get caught up on this series. I actually enjoyed this book a bit more than the last one. I found Molly and Daniel's relationship was better. He's concerned about her, but not quite such a jerk about it.

I thought the mystery was well done and I figured out who committed the murders fairly early, but I couldn't figure out why. I also had the parent thing figured out really early as well. It didn't take away from the mystery though.

Ab...more
Thenia
Molly is becoming quite good as a detective and in this part of her story she solves two more cases.

She is very forward-thinking for her time and she faces quite a few issues due to that, her role in a future marriage with her young man, Captain Daniel Sullivan being one of them.

The book ends in a hopeful note and I'm looking forward to her next adventure in The Last Illusion.
Shannon
A "high 3" -- I liked it, but not as much as Bowen's Royal Spyness series. I probably would have enjoyed it more if I had started at the beginning of the series and knew more of the characters' backgrounds.(I accidentally got this one because it was the first on the series list in another book.) It was cool, however, to recognize the name of the founder of my alma mater as someone Miss Murphy wrote to and to have hiim mention my college in the reply. Rhys Bowen did her research even for the smal...more
Perrie
Good mystery novel. Strong female lead. Great summer read.
laninaki
I think this is one of the stronger books in this series. The mystery was engaging - although sometimes I wonder why it takes Molly so long to put things together. Things are finally going somewhere with Daniel, which is nice to see. If I had one complaint, it'd be that in every book thus far, there comes a point where Molly starts to rethink being a female detective, and then longs for Daniel to come take care of her, then when he does, she resents it. Make up your mind, woman!
Sheila
Apr 24, 2010 Sheila rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who like historical mysteries
Recommended to Sheila by: librarian
I read widely but my book club said this time it MUST be a mystery. I had never read a mystery before(unless you count The Lovely Bones). This one is light and has likeable characters. To me, the feminist overtones which are so normal for our current time period just don't ring true for the setting of early 1900's. But if the reader is trying to solve the mystery, then I did not catch on to "whodunnit" til a few pages before it was revealed.
Brett
Molly Murphy has to figure out why a group of friends, all Vassar graduates with apparently great lives containing wealth, leisure, & husbands with famous last names, are dying one after another, seemingly from the virulent strain of influenza making the rounds of New York. Agatha Christie fans will follow the action with an increasingly knowing smile, but just because it's been done before doesn't mean it isn't still enjoyable.
What a great little mystery! This is the newest book in a series of mysteries about an Irish girl, Molly Murphy. (I had to start with the last one, didn't I??)
The author adds just enough of the time period to give a sense of the atmosphere, but doesn't overwhelm. Her main character is wonderfully flawed and doesn't hesitate to admit it. And the mysteries are interesting. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. What a fun read!
Spuddie
Another enjoyable trek around early 1900's New York with PI Molly Murphy and her circle of friends. Molly attempts to solve the deaths of several society women who officially died from "the flu" but whom she and her friends believe were poisoned. Rather obvious bad guy/solution with clues that stuck out like a sore thumb, but still a nice visit with characters who have become like friends over the course of the series.
  • Murder on Bank Street (Gaslight Mystery, #10)
  • Getting Old Is to Die For (Gladdy Gold, #4)
  • Death at Epsom Downs (Kathryn Ardleigh, #7)
  • Hades
  • The Russian Hill Murders (Sarah Woolson Mystery, #2)
  • Sherlock Holmes and the King's Evil: And Other New Tales Featuring the World's Greatest Detective (Sherlock Holmes, #4)
  • Self's Deception (Gerhard Self #2)
  • Gunpowder Plot (Daisy Dalrymple, #15)
202867
"I'm a New York Times bestselling mystery author, winner of both Agatha and Anthony awards for my Molly Murphy mysteries, set in 1902 New York City.

I also write the Agatha-winning Royal Spyness series, about the British royal family in the 1930s. It's lighter, sexier, funnier, wicked satire. It was voted by readers as best mystery series one year.
I am also known for my Constable Evans books, set...more
More about Rhys Bowen...
Her Royal Spyness (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #1) A Royal Pain (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #2) Royal Blood (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #4) Royal Flush (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #3) Murphy's Law (Molly Murphy Mysteries #1)

“We should all have personal hot air balloons and drift serenely through the clouds.” 10 likes