The Scorpio Illusion

The Scorpio Illusion

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  3,799 ratings  ·  68 reviews
Tyrell Hawthornewas a naval intelligence officer--one of thebest--until the rain-swept night in Amsterdam when hiswife was murdered, an innocent victim of thegames spies play. Now he's called out of retirementfor one last assignment. For Hawthorne is the onlyman alive who can track down the world's mostdangerous terrorist.Amaya Bajaratt isbeautiful, elusive, deadly--and sh...more
Published (first published 1993)

Steve
I remember vividly the first time I read one of Robert Ludlum's novels. I was in high school and had stumbled upon The Bourne Identity. The book oscillated between a plot moving at a frenetic pace and a series of flashbacks allowing you to slow down and get a deeper sense of who Bourne was, and why he did what he did. I came to appreciate the flashbacks almost more than the forward plot. The Bourne Identity wasn't the only one of Ludlum's novel to employ this technique. It was something that kep...more
Jess
I thought it was horrible. The plot was decent, though far-fetched. The dialogue & narrative were trite, verbose & irritating. The book could easily have been condensed to 400 pages, rather than the 664 pages it was. When I started it, I thought, 'OK, this is bad, but I'll give it 100 pages to improve.' It didn't, but by then I was hooked on the plot itself. That's the reason I gave it 2 stars instead of 1, which I would have if I'd put it away when the thought first hit me. I'll never p...more
James Alvino
After Bourne this is Ludlum's best novel is my opinion. It has everything you could want in one of these books. International espionage, assassination attempts, guns, etc. It doesn't try to be something that it isn't. Pure thrill and adventure without the verboseness of a Clancy novel.
Chana
This was more fun to read than I thought it would be. It is a spy-thriller that is surprisingly current despite having been published in 1993. What makes it so readable is the admittedly lame but funny conversations. It reads like James Bond with touches of 1960's Batman. It is very long, 664 pages, but it reads quickly and easily. What is it about? "--good Lord, leaks in Washington and Paris that we know about, Mafia connections, an island fortress, Japanese satellites, Swiss accounts, drops in...more
Mike Philbin
Robert Ludlum - THE SCORPIO ILLUSION - and how it relates to a Free Planet

one has to wonder how Robert Ludlum could have looked so perceptively into the minds of the Power Elite on this insane planet in book after book after book.

I'm just about to finish, and still really enjoying, his 1993 novel THE SCORPIO ILLUSION ... I'm particularly liking the TENSION between MI6-re-activated CIA agent Tyrell Hawthorn and would-be US Presidential assassin Amaya Bajarrat. They clearly love each other but the...more
Simona
Ho letto questo libro nell'interezza delle sue 484 pagine... Qualche difficoltà all'inizio ma superato circa 1/4 del libro il resto l'ho letto in meno di 24 ore! Letteralmente divorato in due pomeriggi dello scorso weekend! E' un libro che prende se si ha la costanza di superare il "punto critico". Bel libro, sicuramente attuale, con un finale che lascia intravedere un lieto fine ma che si rivela comunque intelligente e non bello e dorato come poi la vita reale quasi mai è...

Citazione:
"Le illusi...more
Joe
I like Ludlum, but I can't put a finger on it. Is the story complex or muddled? Is the writing style brilliant or ponderous? Is the plot intertwined with unexpected surprises that challenge the reader to keep up, or is it just plain vague? I asked myself these questions often when I read a Ludlum novel, but I never stop being completely absorbed, challenged and entertained.

It's been several years since I have read Ludlum. It's good to be back. The international spy genre is fascinating because s...more
Matt Crumpton
Mar 22, 2010 Matt Crumpton rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: spy novel junkies, mystery lovers
Recommended to Matt by: none
Shelves: spy-thriller
Robert Ludlum, in my opinion is one of the great writers in the spy, thriller genre. With The Scorpio Illusion he has created a very fast paced thriller with lots of action, mystery and political intrigue.

Ludlum is just fun to read. Are his stories and characters over the top? Yes. Can the dialogue be really frustrating to read at times? Yes( you begin thinking 'do people really talk like that?'). All of these little annoyances of mine are found in the The Scorpio Illusion, as in his other nove...more
Anna
Classic Ludlum at his best. At his most outrageous, thriller, conspiracy kind with more than a six-pack worth of thrillers of twists, turns, conspiracies, and Evil Things or people taking over the World. Just what I need. Perfect read for summer or holidays...
William
I enjoy a fast paced, don't have to think much book every once in awhile. Character development is good and the connection between the terrorist and Hawthrone makes for an interesting tangled web. I just realized that I use character development as a major indicator of many books. I guess I enjoy knowing the characters as much as I enjoy the story itself. There was often times in this book where there are so many good guys turning to bad guys that I had trouble keeping track. It was an interesti...more
Dan Dorenbos
I thought this was a good read for sure. fast paced and kept you wondering. I do think though, that with it so full of goings on I got a bit tired, like okay enough can we stop with all the anti climactics already and get to it. Also a minor personal annoyance, every person had three name's and would be used in a jumble say in 2-3 paragraphs all through the book. ie: Tye, Tyler, Commander, Hawthorne all one guy and almost all used during one segment and throughout the book.
all in all I will rea...more
Meg Sanchez
I don't usually subscribe to books about espionage, war, or politics, but somehow the father of my friend coerced me into reading it telling me to take it with me on a long roadtrip for entertainment purposes. Well, I was very much entertained by Amaya Bajarat and the intensity of her passions, her fierceness, her fearlessness, her complexities...I wanted to be her. So, really, I cannot say much about the plot or how significant it is to me, or what I think of Ludlum, I only love this book becau...more
Kyle Kerns
This book was definitely an action-packed one, complete with plot twists and secret societies. It kept me on the edge of my seat throughout most of the book, but I couldn't get past the point that somebody died just about every other page. By the end of the book, I'm sure there seemed to be more people dead in the government than alive. That just seemed a little unnecessary. It was a very good book considering the action and suspense, but all of the killings knocked it down a point or two.
Carmen
This book starts with everything rolling and just continues along. It is very exciting. A complex scheme involving people from many countries who have been planted as sleeping spies for years comes together. The objective is to kill the American President, along with the British PM and the French president. Does it succeed? How many people are double crossed along the way? There's even a love story thrown in. The only problem is I find it difficult to read books of 600+ pages.
Valley Cottage Library
Aasha
This is my first read with Ludlum though I have watched the movie adaptations...the book kept me on my toes and it was with me wherever i went, be it on transit, at the bus stations, in my kitchen reading pedestal, practically everywhere

Found the plot to be good, had a sense of direction and characters neatly woven into the storyline...towards the end, too many characters executed and that too in a similar pattern that it was becoming a little too familiar

Jesus
Dec 03, 2011 Jesus marked it as abandoned  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, novels
In the first chapter there are a few silly mistakes about Basque (country and language) and about Spanish:
a) Alava --> Alva (?);
b) It says that "yovamaneree" in Basque (???) means "jovena mujera" (young woman) in Spanish.
- In Spanish is "mujer joven" (Not mujera !!!
- and in Basque (according to Google)is "emakume gazte".

If the rest of scenarios (Palestine, Lebanon, Caribbean...) are documented with the same accuracy... what a bad, bad job.
Oliver Rabacal
It was only late 2011 that I have read one of Robert Ludlums book THE SCORPIO ILLUSION, it was my first read on Robert Ludlum. It was so good that it made me think why did I come to know Robert Ludlums's pieces late in my life. I have wasted so much time not reading his other books in the past. Superb writing style for action/thriller/espionage. It was as if you were in the story itself.
Jen Reynolds
This is another of my favorite Ludlum books, and every time I read it, I keep thinking it would make a much better move than the Bourne Series. But then it would ruin the book for me becuase a movie would never capture it all. Just a book of pure fun and intrigue, no matter how implausible the plot or some of the actions of the protagonist.
Ruby
Blaargh. Such stodgy, cliched writing. Couldn't stand to waste any more of my life to finish it, even if it means I don't get to find out how it ends. Stay away from Ludlum. Maybe he was always this bad, but my younger self was willing to put up with it for a good story. Well, no more it seems.
Shauna
Not Ludlum's greatest. You knew the "sinister plot" from the beginning. Not fast paced enough for me. I also like to see some plot twists and this one didn't have any. I don't know, maybe I read too many books like this and they are now becoming so predictable that they are boring.
One of my favorite ones yet by Ludlum...I just can't go wrong with this guy!! I was reading this on a flight and and older English man sat down next to me with a Ludlum. Obviously a very educated man and very witty too, and he was so impressed with my reading choice :)
James
Feb 05, 2008 James rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Spy thriller readers
I'm not a big spy novel kinda guy, but I must say that I truly enjoyed this book. Plenty of action and thoughtful character developement made this a page turner for me. Didn't matter that it was kind of long by todays standards; it kept me wanting more.
Catherine
Another highly enjoyable Ludlum with all the twists & turns and good-guys-who-are-actually-bad-guys I have come to expect. The "world's most dangerous terrorist", Amaya Bajaratt, is a wonderfully deadly baddie and one of Ludlum's best characters to date.
Kerry
Didn't think this was particularly well written in parts, especially at the beginning, but the characters grew on me a bit. In the end the story saved the writing and I was caught up in the adventure. Not as good as the Bournes, but a lively read nonetheless.
Julius Gewarges
After reading the masterpiece novel "The Parsifal Mosaic", it was hard to think of the Scorpio Illusion as one of Ludlum's greatest books, but that does not mean I did not love it. I enjoyed this spy thriller very much. Got to love a great book.
John
Tyrell Hawthorne is a favorite Ludlum character . Why do I like CIAish - Naval intelligence officers? Wife is murdered and now Tryrell need to help protect the life of the POTUS. Interesting when read. Not sure if re-read is wanted or needed.
Larry Johnson
I wasn't as impressed with this as with some of Ludlum's other works, but it was still a good read. It still has the action and inner workings of his other espionage novels, but the story just didn't move along as smoothly as his others.
Kelly
This was probably my third or fourth read of this book. It was my favorite Ludlum back in college. It stood the test of time but not sure it would still be my favorite. I had forgotten most of the specifics so it was still entertaining.
Balaji
its just putting me to sleep ...... just trying to go through the pages since i bought it ... just exactly expect this from the author of Bourne series...... zzzzzzzz.....
yup ... finished the book and it was double zzzzzzzzzzzz
  • On Dangerous Ground  (Sean Dillon #3)
  • The Deceiver
  • Robert Ludlum's (TM) The Janson Command
  • Black Heart
  • Masquerade
  • Liberty (Jake Grafton, #10)
  • Our Game
  • H.M.S. Unseen (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #3)
Robert Ludlum was the author of twenty-seven novels, each one a New York Times bestseller. There are more than 210 million of his books in print, and they have been translated into thirty-two languages. He is the author of The Scarlatti Inheritance, The Chancellor Manuscript, and the Jason Bourne series--The Bourne Identity, The Bourne Supremacy, and The Bourne Ultimatum--among others. Mr. Ludlum...more
More about Robert Ludlum...
The Bourne Identity (Jason Bourne, #1) The Bourne Supremacy (Jason Bourne, #2) The Bourne Ultimatum (Jason Bourne, #3) The Matarese Circle (Matarese #1) The Icarus Agenda