Start by marking “Robert Ludlum's The Bourne Betrayal (Jason Bourne, #5)” as Want to Read:
Robert Ludlum's The Bourne Betrayal (Jason Bourne, #5)

Robert Ludlum's The Bourne Betrayal (Jason Bourne #5)

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  3,937 ratings  ·  250 reviews
Two months after Jason Bourne's second wife has dies, he learns that Martin Lindros, his only friend in the CIA, went missing in Africa where he was tracking shipments of yellowcake uranium. After Bourne finds him, Martin returns to the U.S., but only after he persuades Bourne to go to Odessa to penetrate the clandestine world of terrorist money men there.

In Odessa, Bourne...more
Published June 5th 2007 by Warner Books (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Robert Ludlum's The Bourne Betrayal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Robert Ludlum's The Bourne Betrayal

The Bourne Identity by Robert LudlumThe Bourne Supremacy by Robert LudlumThe Bourne Ultimatum by Robert LudlumThe Matarese Circle by Robert LudlumThe Holcroft Covenant by Robert Ludlum
Best Robert Ludlum Books
35th out of 52 books — 45 voters
Jane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëBloodlines by Lindsay Anne KendalBeowulf by UnknownBrave New World by Aldous HuxleyAtonement by Ian McEwan
Grey Daze
238th out of 479 books — 97 voters

More lists with this book...

Lisa
This book sucked harder than a Hoover.
I love the Bourne Identity movies, and I figured Robert Ludlum is a famous author, so I figured this would be a fun read. Unfortunately, I didn't notice that Ludlum's name is just put on top in big letters because he or his estate own the copyright to the Bourne series, and this book was written by (in small print) Eric Van Lustbader. So I still don't know how good a writer Ludlum is.
What I do know is that Lustbader doesn't know squat about character devel...more
James
Jun 29, 2013 James rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Bourne completists
Lustbader manages to write both compelling prose and utter shite at the same time. You could call him the Dan Brown of the thriller world; if Brown hadn't already got that title sewn up himself. Since Robert Ludlum's death, Lustbader has been at the helm of the Bourne series of novels. Taking the original trilogy and, some might say, milking it for whatever he and the Ludlum estate can get. This book continues in that vein and feels a lot like Lustbader had the beginnings of a great idea for a s...more
Jerome
Characters are bland and undeveloped, if at all. Action sequences don't make sense. Overuse of gee-wiz technology that doesn't exist. Events happen (a good guy gets tied up and beaten) which weren't covered in the prior paragraphs.

If you can get past the helicopters shooting down MiG-29s and Bourne in a commercial jet dogfighting with Iranian fighters (I'm not making this stuff up), you still have to deal with the incredible metamorphosis that has happened to Bourne himself between the Bourne Le...more
Ben Jackson
Sep 24, 2008 Ben Jackson rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Enemies
This is in my bottom 10 books of all time. Poorly conceived, written, edited, and packaged. The plot makes about as much sense as a colonoscopy to diagnose strep throat. It's full of continuity, spelling, and grammatical errors and about as exciting as golf.
Ollie

Below is a review I wrote and posted on Barnes & Noble where I purchased this book for my Nook. It still stands as my review.

Despite misgivings and numerous attempts at reading Lustbader in the past, I decided to read his Bourne books solely because of the subject - Jason Bourne. I hoped Lustbader had improved his craft in the last few years and that this series would be good. I was greatly dismayed from the start when I realized he had completely set aside the original and true character of...more
Kristen
If you love non-stop action thrillers, you'll enjoy this action-adventure thriller. With non-stop action, this novel takes you all over the world from Washington D.C. to Africa to Eastern Asia. I remember seeing the first Bourne movies years ago and on TV--now this propels us to post-9/11 world with terrorists and intricate plotlines. I've been wrapped up into a fast paced world. We can see Bourne struggle with his memory and how he copes with his loss. My heart sank with him. But we see him nev...more
Edward
I often will not even bother putting a three star book up on goodreads. I don't particularly like to give bad reviews, and a three star rating to me means that there are some pretty significant weaknesses.

However, Lustbader's early stuff is some of my favorite fiction, and I will probably keep giving him a chance unless he goes the full Tom Clancy. I did think his recent First Daughter was better.

So, what was good about the book. The plot was interesting and wellpaced, especially the second half...more
Judy
A truly laughable plot line. Although, I'm sure those that love a good spy novel and/or the Bourne series will disagree with me. It really should be kept in the "Fantasy" genre. The characters are able to assume each other's identities with the greatest of ease right down to the last detail. The good guys are able to become the bad guys and vice versa. Not only are enemies able to walk the walk of one another but even their voices are amazingly counterfeited.
Sorry, but I don't buy it. The techn...more
Ken Gorry
I thought no one could Kill Jason Bourne, so well done Eric Van Lustbader. Jason Bourne is now dead to me. The villain is boring. and somehow has built a bond style evil base in the Afghanistan mountains. for those of you who don't know the geography of the area it cant be traversed by a motorised transport. Yet somehow our villain managed not only to build a secret base but also managed to get an elevator and a tarmac runway. This is just one of numerous ludicrous scenarios Van Lustbader serves...more
Timi Ogunbekun
The Bourne Trilogy ( Robert Ludlum's greatest work) was one of the best clandestine-thriller series I've ever had the privilege of reading. Normally the idea of a book series chronicling the adventures of a schizophrenic/amnesiac assassin would be absurd, but Ludlum made it work. He made readers connect, not only with Jason Bourne and his alter-ego, but every other character that was a part of Bourne's Life. He made you want to follow Bourne on his journey through confusion, paranoia, frustrati...more
Joel
If this were a video game it would be rated M [Strong language, Extreme Violence, some sex, drugs]

The body count was high and it seems that every character is either an assassin, murderer, or both, so I had a hard time deciding whether or not a particular character was a "good guy".

Getting past all that, this was an exciting read. Each time the author jumped between characters I wanted to stay with the one he was talking about because I was so engaged.
Tyler Alm
This book was both good and bad at the same time. If I read this book without comparing this sequel to the prior stories, it was good. I think that the prior stories were so good that this book let me down because it was not nearly as good as the other ones. I had higher hopes for this book, but it was still entertaining to read.

The reason why I say this is because the book was indeed very action packed, but it felt like there was no progression. It felt like the book was just action scene after...more
Christopher Hernandez
So now I have caught up with the series, recovered from the "let down" of the third book, crossed the juncture between author differences, and accepted the merging of the movie “ridiculously damn near super human not quite believable” Bourne Bad Arse Mother F-er (BAMF) fictional character.
The Bourne Betrayal seems to go a little further into outrageous fiction. Jason Bourne has all but taken over (so long David Webb), his family is conveniently written out of the plot, and we now have another Mu...more
Matt
Eric van Lustbader puts out a decent book, filled with suspense and intrigue and uses that 21st century buzz plot, the fight against terrorists seeking to take over parts of the US. It has all the thrills you could want, some very descriptive fight scenes and even some graphic attacks that leave you wincing and wishing you had a doctor on hand. Fairly decent dialogue and the book flows fairly well. It is.... WAIT A MINUTE!! This is one of the Bourne series. Scratch the above and keep reading!

MIS...more
Bob
PB- Another chapter in the Bourne saga win which Jason still in disfavor with the head of CI is tasked with finding Martin Landros, the Deputy Director and his mentor. Jason is still having memory problems and is sent to a psychologist in an attempt to clear them up. At the same time the CI task force Typhon is tasked to track down some sophisticated triggers in the hands of a large and shadowy terrorist group headed by a man called "Fadi" who has a private agenda regarding Jason. There are seve...more
Ramakrishnan M
Robert Ludlum wrote 3 classic books on the “Jason Bourne” character. After his sad demise, Eric Van Lustbader has been writing some tales featuring the legendary Bourne.Continuing on earlier tales, Bourne is of course retired and living a simple academic life. He has also lost his wife Marie. His latest addition to miseries is the news that his friend, Martin Lindros, has gone missing in action. Bourne has to track him down, break down a Islamic fundamentalist terrorist network, prevent a nuclea...more
Wow - if an author can't even get CONTINUITY right, then what else could they possibly get right?

Turns out nothing. So, the Bourne Betrayal is a vacuous, ridiculous, vapid glassy-eyed mooncalf masquerading as a blockbuster in literary form.

See, there was this scene where Bourne had "disarmed" a woman [who was, clinging to him as they speed around on a Harley] who held a knife to his throat. Um, then she strangles him. Throat fetish maybe? I think at this point she helpfully deflects a shotgun bl...more
Josh
Jun 25, 2008 Josh rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Dad
Shelves: espionage
Definitely not of the Ludlum caliber, but not too shabby. A little bit less contrived than the previous Van Lustbader Bourne effort. Unfortunately, the last one was one of the most obvious and contrived stories I've ever read, so a little bit less is still pretty contrived.

The problem that anyone trying to follow in Ludlum's footstep was going to face is that Ludlum's stories always had the feeling of reality to them. A feeling that this could, even if a little far-fetched, actually happen. He t...more
James
I find that it becomes harder and harder to review books in a series as it goes on, so this one is going to be mercifully short - or at least, that's my aim.

I think that what has become evident in this novel is that Lustbader is stamping his authority on the Bourne persona and novels; where with Legacy he made small changes with Betrayal he has started to drastically remold the Bourne universe.
- A perfect example of this would be the removal of Marie from the books; in Legacy she was sidelined...more
Jeremy
The Bourne Betrayal is an extremly action packed adventure who i would recomend to Anyone who loves either the Bourne series or just a good rush.
The Bourne Betrayal is right in sequence with the movies and is highly accurate. Jason Bourne with privious amnessia developes his memory back over time and the only friend he has left has been kidnapped by terrorist. The US government has now hired jason bourne to Track down his old firend and bring him home.
I could literally feel a rush when i read...more
BoekenTrol
Second reading / review: Now that the trilogy has found a place more in the back of my head and I do not put links to that Bourne -this Bourne all the time, this story is actually quite readable. In fact, for me the Bourne in this book looks more like the original than the character pictured in the Testament book.
I'll stick to my original rating though.

A very dazzling book. It got me thinking in the wrong direction many times.
Somehow I keep remembering that David Webb was in his 50's already...more
Kimme Utsi
Oct 18, 2012 Kimme Utsi marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook

In Odessa, Bourne is hampered by confusing flashes of memories. He becomes convinced that they're false, but who planted them and why? And h

Matt Crumpton
If only you could combine Lustbader and Ludlum into one writer. That would be an excellent novelist. Ludlum could create dynamic characters like Jason Bourne, and the stories he could come up with are top notch. However, Ludlum had trouble putting these stories on paper. He is a terrible writer, with an overuse of the exclamation point, and he can't write good dialogue between characters.

On the other hand you have Lustbader who has taken up Ludlum's mantle and has continued to churn our Bourne b...more
Speesh
Am I ok in saying this is an excellent read? A thoroughly tip-top thriller? One of the very best?

Credibility...Meet window?

I hope not. I don't think so. In fact, I'm sure not. Because this one did exactly what it says on the tin and thrilled the whatsits off me. Why on earth do we read books, if not for pleasure? And reading this one is as pleasurable an experience as they come.

But first, a word of warning: Don't read the summary on the back. In my view, it gives away way too much of much too ma...more
Ed
Nov 27, 2008 Ed rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: No one
I believe I read all Ludlum's books including the three Jason Bourne novels, undoubtedly the most popular character he created.

After Ludlum died, somebody, maybe his publisher, maybe his heirs decided they didn't want to see a good thing die with him. So they came up with the idea of having Eric Van Lustbader, who hadn't written a best seller in years continue the series. Wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I liked Lustbader's books particularly the Nicholas Linnear series but to paraphrase Lloyd Bentson, "He'...more
King
Gah! I usually avoid books like these, featuring "adventures" of a particular character. I prefer books where the characters journey ends on the last page, otherwise it feels more like a product rather than literature. I dunno though. The way Lustbader ended the book was...well, lets just say there were plenty of loose ends and i was not satiated. Looks like im going to buy the next Bourne adventure. DAMN YOU LUSTBADER!

The book was very different from the movie. It looked like Marie didnt die in...more
Mark R.
Not a great book. Lustbader seems intent on removing all ties to Ludlum's trilogy. Marie is dead, their kids and the long-lost son from the previous book are missing, and there is no indication that Bourne was ever part of the Vietnam conflict. I suspect that this is Lustbader's way of cutting the character loose from the constraints of old age, much like the G.I. Joe comic franchise has been severed from Vietnam to make it more relevant to today's generation. Bourne's friendship with Lindros is...more
Jeff Cothern
SUMMARY:
Already devastated by loss, Bourne is shattered by a report that his last friend in the world, Martin Lindros, has gone missing. A CI deputy director, Lindros was in Ethiopia tracking suspicious shipments of yellowcake uranium and atomic bomb weaponry. His last lifeline to humanity, Bourne will not let Lindros go. Despite his hatred for CI, Bourne sets out to rescue his friend and finish the job: dismantling a terrorist network determined to build nuclear armaments by cutting off their s...more
Ben Campbell
Grab a six-pack of Michelob and settle back in your sofa. Open The Bourne Betrayal; don't criticize the dialog or shake your head while analyzing character presentations. Just read and enjoy. Eric Van Lustbader is best with action scenes and location transitions, explosions, knife fights and gun shooting. Any love lost isn't an issue in this Jason Bourne Novel, just stopping terrorists from personal vendetta.

The explosive pace helped schism plotting misgivings and character malfeasance. The stor...more
Shannon
Aside from the fact I got this book free and I wanted to know how it ended, I don't know why I finished it (all 720 pages-eesh). Basically all non-white characters were portrayed in a way that made the author look really bigoted. He did at least try to mention that not all Muslims are terrorists (although he didn't get to black men from DC being able to speak without the most ridiculous ebonics), I found it hard to just enjoy my escapist thriller without being put off. I don't know if having a s...more
  • The Lazarus Vendetta (Covert-One, #5)
  • The Cry of the Halidon
Eric Van Lustbader was born and raised in Greenwich Village. He is the author of more than twenty-five best-selling novels, including The Ninja, in which he introduced Nicholas Linnear, one of modern fiction's most beloved and enduring heroes. The Ninja was sold to 20th CenturyFox, to be made into a major motion picture. His novels have been translated into over twenty languages.

Mr. Lustbader is...more
More about Eric Van Lustbader...
The Bourne Legacy (Jason Bourne, #4) Robert Ludlum's The Bourne Objective (Jason Bourne, #8) Robert Ludlum's The Bourne Deception (Jason Bourne, #7) The Ninja (Nicholas Linnear, #1) The Bourne Sanction (Jason Bourne #6)