Ten Poems to Set You Free Ten Poems to Set You Free Ten Poems to Set You Free

Ten Poems to Set You Free Ten Poems to Set You Free Ten Poems to Set You Free

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  140 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Ten Poems to Set You Free inspires you to claim the life that is truly yours. In today's world it is deceptively easy to lose sight of our direction and the things that matter and giveus joy. How quickly the days can slip by, the years all gone, and we, at the end of our lives, mourning the life we dreamed of but never lived. These ten poems, and Roger Housden's reflection...more
Published December 30th 2003 by Harmony (first published January 1st 2003)

Hazel Elizabeth
If I had to choose a series of books as my all time favorite, it would be Roger Housden's Ten Poems to....
I've discovered my all time favorite poet (Naomi Shihab Nye) because of these books! He chooses the most exquisite, sublime, challenging and inspiring poetry, and his commentaries are superb, analysis that truely gets into the marrow of a poem. This is the perfect series, the perfect gift - boxed set of Roger Housden's Ten Poems... will be life-changing (and I don't use that word lightly.)

LO...more
Julien DuBrow
This anthology stands out to me because of Roger Housden's commentary on the poetry. His honest and straight forward manner in sharing his own story makes me look deeper at my own personal life story and inquire into it. It makes the poetry into medicine for my soul.
Nancy Nusser
All of Roger Housden books of poetry have an indepth review of the poem and how it affects his life. I found his reviews helpful in appreciating the poet and the poem.
Shannon
"How can I stand freely in the truth of my life, feel the mettle of my unique existence, and act from there, whatever my outer circumstances may be?" Roger Housden poses this question and uses ten poems as "messengers" of truth, the truth or truths that enable the reader to answer this question.

I loved this book, the poems and the analysis that followed. Though, I must say I much preferred the first part to the last; the first part seemed so much richer and to delve into the marrow of the human...more
Wynnie
Each of the ten poems are accompanied by the editor's reflections with the purpose of explaining how the poems espouse agency.

Out of the ten poems, what I liked most are Lake and Maple (by Jane Hirshfield), Throw Yourself Like Seed (by Miguel de Unamuno) and So Much Happiness (by Naomi Shihab Nye). I did not delve too much into the accompanying expositions.

The most beneficial aspects about this collection for me is the introduction to these luminary poets and the list of recommended readings.

O...more
Julia Atwood
Another great book by Roger...He does know how to pick poems to explore.
Jeremy
All these "Ten Poems to..." are solid, but they'll also be hit or miss since they truly are one man's opinion. This collection deserves credit for being very diverse in topics, authors and tone of the poetry. I found a poem that I really connected with, and I think most readers will share my experience; one poem that will influence you. And that makes this book one worth reading.
Julie
I liked it. It exposed me to poems that I was otherwise unfamiliar with. I appreciated the author's insight, breaking down each poem line by line into its deeper meaning. Poetry is such a personal thing though, what resonates with one might not resonate with another. Or one might interpret the words in a different way. My list of 10 would probably be different.
Shellie (Layers of Thought)
A book of great poems selected from the author about the subject of finding one's life purpose. He writes about each of the poems and assists the reader in understanding their meaning in a "Zen like" fashion.
Maryjoamani
Great series. I recommend them all for those who want to explore poetry but haven't always felt they "understood" or "got it". Ten poems, ten reflections relating the poems to his own life and insights.
Todd
Housden does a nice job of connecting poetry to human experience--not the kind of human experience that lives in MFA creative writing programs, thick with elitist references--just normal humans' experiences.
Terilyn
Housden's Ten Poems books are among my favorites in a very large library. Ten poems with analysis and discussion is the perfect amount.
Sue
It's been a long time since I spent any time reading poetry. This books are perfect for getting back inot the habit.
Audrey
Absolutely beautiful. I especially like the poem and ensuing commentary for 'The Layers.'
Abigail King
A thoughtful, precise collection and the commentary is good company too
Pamela
Pamela marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Katrina Sark
Katrina Sark is currently reading it
Jul 10, 2014
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Hope
Hope is currently reading it
Jun 13, 2014
Mickey
Mickey marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Yvonne
Yvonne marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Julia Bennett
Julia Bennett marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
Roger Housden is the author of some twenty books of non fiction, including the best selling Ten Poems series. His new book, SAVED BY BEAUTY: ADVENTURES OF AN AMERICAN ROMANTIC IN IRAN, comes out on May 17 2011 with Broadway Books.
More about Roger Housden...
Ten Poems to Change Your Life Risking Everything: 110 Poems of Love and Revelation Ten Poems to Open Your Heart Ten Poems to Last a Lifetime Ten Poems to Change Your Life Again and Again