Start by marking “High Performance JavaScript” as Want to Read:
High Performance JavaScript

High Performance JavaScript

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  339 ratings  ·  27 reviews

If you're like most developers, you rely heavily on JavaScript to build interactive and quick-responding web applications. The problem is that all of those lines of JavaScript code can slow down your apps. This book reveals techniques and strategies to help you eliminate performance bottlenecks during development. You'll learn how to improve execution time, downloading, i

Published March 30th 2010 by Yahoo Press (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about High Performance JavaScript, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about High Performance JavaScript

JavaScript by Douglas CrockfordEloquent JavaScript by Marijn HaverbekeHigh Performance JavaScript by Nicholas C. ZakasJavaScript Patterns by Stoyan StefanovJavaScript by David Flanagan
Best JavaScript Books
3rd out of 34 books — 57 voters
JavaScript by Douglas CrockfordSingle Page Web Applications by Michael S. MikowskiYour First App by Jim SchubertJavaScript Objects Functions and Arrays Explained by Tony de AraujoSecrets of the JavaScript Ninja by John Resig
JavaScript Books
9th out of 9 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Rob
While reading Nicholas Zakas' High Performance JavaScript, it occurred to me that there were actually two different reviews that I wanted to write. So, rather than try to reconcile them into one review, I'll simply apply them here as an ordered list.

(1) To continue with the JavaScript University metaphor (from my review of Zakas' Professional JavaScript for Web Developers ): Finals are coming up in Prof. Crockford's upper-division JavaScript class. You've been a diligent student all semester an
Dan
Jan 20, 2013 Dan added it
Shelves: programming
A disappointment, but mostly due to its age. When a book features performance testing of Google Chrome versions 1 and 2, you know something's off. Finally forced myself to finish reading it, but found little of value in the back half of the book. The problem is that almost everything in the book is a well-established best practice now, and if you're even moderately up-to-date on writing good JavaScript, the book is almost all repetition.

That said, the big payoff was Chapter 3. Here is where the
Jamison Dance
Full of outdated advice and old benchmarks. It wasn't really what I was looking for. If you are working with IE 6, then there are some valuable tips, but if you are not and have some experience developing JavaScript, there is not much new here.
Daniel Lopez
Well written, easy to read and full of wonderful performance tips.
John Lee is such a boring name.
A readable and easily digestible guide to JavaScript performance. As a JS beginner, I learned a good deal about different best practices and the little quirks of JS that can have a large impact on performance. I'm not sure how much value this will have to anyone who has done a good deal of JavaScript programming, as the guidelines seem very simple and straightforward. However, the chapters on the DOM and String processing were very good, and the first chapter, on loading JS, seemed very foundati ...more
Ulina
I give it a 3.7. After three or four false starts, I was able to read this book until it was done. I think it took me a while to get into this book because in the beginning it felt like he spent forever just talking about scopes. It could also have been that back then the Nook (Color)? didn't support pdf books as well as it does today. Mostly meaning it didn't save what page you were on last. Every time you open the pdf, it started back at the beginning.

After a few pages, and I was able to get i
Tony
This book is not for a beginner in JavaScript. It's intended more as a "best practices" guide for people who are already at least intermediate in the JavaScript skills. If you have a hard time wrapping your head around object-oriented JavaScript and closures, you probably aren't ready for this one, just yet.

The section on regular expressions and how they work, under the hood, was nearly worth the price of admission by itself. I've spent many years working with Perl, had the college-level course
David Zukowski
Pretty good reference. I think the book's age (references IE4) actually helps it in some ways, as it discusses guidelines and practices for improved performance on browsers much less powerful than we have now. Most developers should be familiar with the majority of this book (script placement, sync vs async, caching, etc.) but there were plenty of other interesting topics, such as real-world use cases bitwise operators and Duff's device.
Wangyiran
at least 5 stars.
it is attractive for me at some charpters:
it introduce Strings optimize
data format performance
loops and conditionals optimize,
timer
data access contain closures
dom,
many ways are applicative and i can correct my previous useage of bad performance,
so i give the book 5 stars,and it is understandable.
Illia Olenchenko
Книга отличная и действительно дает понять насколько зависят оптимизации от типа ошибок и как их лучше применить. Настоящим открытием стал пример Устройства Дафа, который действительно на больших кол-вах операций ускоряет процесс выполнения по сравнению с циклов в 2-3 раза. Так же очень интересные последние 2 главы об инструментах и способах построения проектов. Отлична написана часть про регулярные выражения. Рекомендую.
Gregory
In my mind books by Zakas are compulsory reading. It will take you through esoteric Javascript idiosyncrasies and help you to understand the many variables in the web environment in which the language is most employed.
Fernando
I need to re-read this once I understand more about JS, anyway I could grasp a lot of concepts about performance from this.
Aymeric Beaumet
Even though this book is mainly front-end oriented, it also covers performance good practices in idiomatic JavaScript. The majority of the content is still up to date. This is a must-have for Full-Stack JS developers.
Alessandro Pellizzari
Un ottimo testo, con moltissime informazioni utili e chiare sulle capacità e le compatibilità dei maggiori browser (IE, Firefox, Safari, Chrome in diverse versioni). Molti dei consigli, soprattutto nella prima parte del libro, per migliorare prestazioni e interattività sono validi anche in altri linguaggi, sia lato server che general purpouse.
Nate Berggren
I'd rate this book 4 stars if it weren't so dated (read it in 2013). It is still a good read and gives a good perspective on the path javascript development is on. It also did spark some good discussions among my coworkers and jump-started our conversation on coding standards.
Iman Mh
Just an other awesome book by Nicolas Zakas. The first 3 chapters are critically important for every project. If you are going to build javaScript applications that requires a high amount of resources this book is the number one to read.
Nick Carter
Though about half the book is rehash for experienced javascripters, it's nice to have all these tips in one place, and Zakas gives several topics (loop unrolling, local caching) better coverage than any I've read elsewhere.
Steve Love
Excellent consolidation of a wide range of tips and tools for optimizing JavaScript and the loading of JavaScript resources. If you work with JavaScript, you should read this.
Aizhang
Goodreads allows some html formatting.

well formed web urls automatically get turned into links
link: my link text
Timo
Lots of useful tips and hints to improve your (native javascript) code ja regex performance. Tools section is outdated but still points to the right direction.
Nicklas
Some general good advices and tips on the JS internals and what to think about to make it scale.
Kat
Requires updates. Reading Google's JavaScript Style Guide is more beneficial.
Boyan
Mar 28, 2015 Boyan rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: tech
A good summary of performance improvements, but a bit outdated.
Matthew Rotter
Way more useful than I was expecting! Definitely worth a read.
Gary
only a three because the book is getting very dated.
Tae
Where is the updated version?...
Chris
Jan 05, 2012 Chris added it
Practical, well-written, and short.
Natasha Postolovski
Natasha Postolovski marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Angel Paunchev
Angel Paunchev marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
  • MongoDB: The Definitive Guide
  • jQuery: Novice to Ninja
  • HTML5: Up and Running

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Nicholas C. Zakas is a front-end consultant, author, and speaker. He worked at Yahoo! for almost five years, where he was front-end tech lead for the Yahoo! homepage and a contributor to the YUI library. He is the author of Maintainable JavaScript (O’Reilly, 2012), Professional JavaScript for Web Developers (Wrox, 2012), High Performance JavaScript
(O’Reilly, 2010), and Professional Ajax (Wrox, 200
More about Nicholas C. Zakas...
Professional JavaScript for Web Developers Maintainable JavaScript The Principles of Object-Oriented JavaScript Professional Ajax The Problem with Native JavaScript APIs