Start by marking “High Performance JavaScript” as Want to Read:
High Performance JavaScript

High Performance JavaScript

If you're like most developers, you rely heavily on JavaScript to build interactive and quick-responding web applications. The problem is that all of those lines of JavaScript code can slow down your apps. This book reveals techniques and strategies to help you eliminate performance bottlenecks during development. You'll learn how to improve execution time, downloading, i

Published March 30th 2010 by Yahoo Press (first published 2010)

Rob
Apr 07, 2010 Rob rated it it was amazing
While reading Nicholas Zakas' High Performance JavaScript, it occurred to me that there were actually two different reviews that I wanted to write. So, rather than try to reconcile them into one review, I'll simply apply them here as an ordered list.

(1) To continue with the JavaScript University metaphor (from my review of Zakas' Professional JavaScript for Web Developers ): Finals are coming up in Prof. Crockford's upper-division JavaScript class. You've been a diligent student all semester an
Dan
Jun 18, 2012 Dan added it
Shelves: programming
A disappointment, but mostly due to its age. When a book features performance testing of Google Chrome versions 1 and 2, you know something's off. Finally forced myself to finish reading it, but found little of value in the back half of the book. The problem is that almost everything in the book is a well-established best practice now, and if you're even moderately up-to-date on writing good JavaScript, the book is almost all repetition.

That said, the big payoff was Chapter 3. Here is where the
Jamison Dance
Sep 22, 2012 Jamison Dance rated it it was ok
Full of outdated advice and old benchmarks. It wasn't really what I was looking for. If you are working with IE 6, then there are some valuable tips, but if you are not and have some experience developing JavaScript, there is not much new here.
Daniel Lopez
Nov 03, 2010 Daniel Lopez rated it it was amazing
Well written, easy to read and full of wonderful performance tips.
Julia Yakutova
Good book for 2010 or so. But you definitely need something new for 2017.
Tony
Apr 28, 2013 Tony rated it really liked it
Shelves: acquired
This book is not for a beginner in JavaScript. It's intended more as a "best practices" guide for people who are already at least intermediate in the JavaScript skills. If you have a hard time wrapping your head around object-oriented JavaScript and closures, you probably aren't ready for this one, just yet.

The section on regular expressions and how they work, under the hood, was nearly worth the price of admission by itself. I've spent many years working with Perl, had the college-level course
Ulina
Apr 26, 2011 Ulina rated it liked it
Shelves: tech-books
I give it a 3.7. After three or four false starts, I was able to read this book until it was done. I think it took me a while to get into this book because in the beginning it felt like he spent forever just talking about scopes. It could also have been that back then the Nook (Color)? didn't support pdf books as well as it does today. Mostly meaning it didn't save what page you were on last. Every time you open the pdf, it started back at the beginning.

After a few pages, and I was able to get i
Daniel R.
Feb 28, 2016 Daniel R. rated it it was ok
I've routinely seen this book on short-lists of must read JavaScript books. I unfortunately waited too long to read it. As the foreword notes at the time the book was written the browser landscape was drastically different than it is as we start 2016. Certain chapters still hold relevant nuggets of advice but overall this book is no longer a must read, in particular all of the browser benchmarks need to be rerun on modern browsers. Loading and Execution is still important but doesn't cover newer ...more
John Lee
Nov 14, 2013 John Lee rated it liked it
A readable and easily digestible guide to JavaScript performance. As a JS beginner, I learned a good deal about different best practices and the little quirks of JS that can have a large impact on performance. I'm not sure how much value this will have to anyone who has done a good deal of JavaScript programming, as the guidelines seem very simple and straightforward. However, the chapters on the DOM and String processing were very good, and the first chapter, on loading JS, seemed very foundati ...more
David Zukowski
May 06, 2014 David Zukowski rated it really liked it
Pretty good reference. I think the book's age (references IE4) actually helps it in some ways, as it discusses guidelines and practices for improved performance on browsers much less powerful than we have now. Most developers should be familiar with the majority of this book (script placement, sync vs async, caching, etc.) but there were plenty of other interesting topics, such as real-world use cases bitwise operators and Duff's device.
Illia Olenchenko
Jan 18, 2015 Illia Olenchenko rated it it was amazing
Книга отличная и действительно дает понять насколько зависят оптимизации от типа ошибок и как их лучше применить. Настоящим открытием стал пример Устройства Дафа, который действительно на больших кол-вах операций ускоряет процесс выполнения по сравнению с циклов в 2-3 раза. Так же очень интересные последние 2 главы об инструментах и способах построения проектов. Отлична написана часть про регулярные выражения. Рекомендую.
Wangyiran
May 15, 2015 Wangyiran rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
at least 5 stars.
it is attractive for me at some charpters:
it introduce Strings optimize
data format performance
loops and conditionals optimize,
timer
data access contain closures
dom,
many ways are applicative and i can correct my previous useage of bad performance,
so i give the book 5 stars,and it is understandable.
Alessandro Pellizzari
Jun 13, 2011 Alessandro Pellizzari rated it it was amazing
Shelves: web, manuali, javascript, e
Un ottimo testo, con moltissime informazioni utili e chiare sulle capacità e le compatibilità dei maggiori browser (IE, Firefox, Safari, Chrome in diverse versioni). Molti dei consigli, soprattutto nella prima parte del libro, per migliorare prestazioni e interattività sono validi anche in altri linguaggi, sia lato server che general purpouse.
Nick Carter
Feb 22, 2012 Nick Carter rated it really liked it
Shelves: tech
Though about half the book is rehash for experienced javascripters, it's nice to have all these tips in one place, and Zakas gives several topics (loop unrolling, local caching) better coverage than any I've read elsewhere.
Iman Mh
Oct 15, 2013 Iman Mh rated it it was amazing
Just an other awesome book by Nicolas Zakas. The first 3 chapters are critically important for every project. If you are going to build javaScript applications that requires a high amount of resources this book is the number one to read.
Gregory
Aug 29, 2014 Gregory rated it it was amazing
In my mind books by Zakas are compulsory reading. It will take you through esoteric Javascript idiosyncrasies and help you to understand the many variables in the web environment in which the language is most employed.
Aymeric Beaumet
Aug 19, 2014 Aymeric Beaumet rated it really liked it
Even though this book is mainly front-end oriented, it also covers performance good practices in idiomatic JavaScript. The majority of the content is still up to date. This is a must-have for Full-Stack JS developers.
Nate Berggren
Jan 15, 2013 Nate Berggren rated it liked it
I'd rate this book 4 stars if it weren't so dated (read it in 2013). It is still a good read and gives a good perspective on the path javascript development is on. It also did spark some good discussions among my coworkers and jump-started our conversation on coding standards.
Anton Vildyaev
Nov 09, 2015 Anton Vildyaev rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Author mentions IE7 too often for the book about performance but general ideas still make sense. Would love to check more up-to-date edition.
Steve Love
Sep 12, 2010 Steve Love rated it it was amazing
Excellent consolidation of a wide range of tips and tools for optimizing JavaScript and the loading of JavaScript resources. If you work with JavaScript, you should read this.
Fernando
Jul 21, 2014 Fernando rated it really liked it
I need to re-read this once I understand more about JS, anyway I could grasp a lot of concepts about performance from this.
Timo
Mar 26, 2013 Timo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: programming
Lots of useful tips and hints to improve your (native javascript) code ja regex performance. Tools section is outdated but still points to the right direction.
Aizhang
Feb 11, 2014 Aizhang rated it really liked it
Goodreads allows some html formatting.

well formed web urls automatically get turned into links
link: my link text
Eli As
Eli As rated it it was amazing
Apr 17, 2016
Lalala Lale
Lalala Lale rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2011
Ryan Yogan
Ryan Yogan rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2016
Scott Sperling
Scott Sperling rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2014
April Barrett
April Barrett rated it really liked it
May 07, 2014
Joakim Bennedich
Joakim Bennedich rated it it was amazing
Nov 28, 2011
Eduardo
Eduardo rated it it was ok
Jul 13, 2015
  • Test-Driven JavaScript Development
  • Functional JavaScript: Introducing Functional Programming with Underscore.js
  • MongoDB: The Definitive Guide

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Chinese: 尼古拉斯

Nicholas C. Zakas is a front-end consultant, author, and speaker. He worked at Yahoo! for almost five years, where he was front-end tech lead for the Yahoo! homepage and a contributor to the YUI library. He is the author of Maintainable JavaScript (O’Reilly, 2012), Professional JavaScript for Web Developers (Wrox, 2012), High Performance JavaScript
(O’Reilly, 2010), and Professional Aj
More about Nicholas C. Zakas...