Start by marking “More Things Like This” as Want to Read:
More Things Like This

More Things Like This

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  67 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Curated by the editors of McSweeney's, this unconventional book explores the intersection of text, humor, and illustration in art created by cartoonists, writers, musicians, and fine artists. A refreshing mixture of high, low, and sideways, the selection features nearly 300 images from dozens of contributors, including David Shrigley, Kurt Vonnegut, Leonard Cohen, Chris Jo ...more
Published September 30th 2009 by Chronicle Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about More Things Like This, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about More Things Like This

Kathleen
Jan 23, 2010 Kathleen rated it really liked it
Shelves: benicia
Hours of entertainment. Unwieldy in bed (!), this is best viewed sitting up with lots of light. This book should be larger, some of the reproductions are so small that I gave up trying to make them out. A handsome, high quality book full of treats.
Splendy
Jan 19, 2011 Splendy rated it really liked it
Dave Eggers and friends collected a bunch of artwork for a gallery in New York. The work is the intersection of fine arts and humor. Some call them “comics,” but that’s an umbrella term that just doesn’t seem to fit. He jokingly mentions how they struggled the term to define this time of work, but the answer is as plain as the curls on his adorable little head. It’s art!

If you’ve ever wandered around the Cartoon Art Museum in San Francisco, then you know that the exhibits are based on much more
Anne
Apr 29, 2013 Anne rated it really liked it
This book was a holiday present from a very good friend. I was so excited and happy when I opened it! Yes it has been a long read but I read it in pieces, each page is so interesting.

This book is like my older son's definition of "Good for me -- it's good, and it's for me!" Good in that it is an example of possibilities -- I tend to think "Oh, I can't write on this, it's a picture!" Or, in the alternative, "I shouldn't draw all over these notes," even though this is what I've been doing since I
Jeanine
Jan 02, 2011 Jeanine rated it really liked it
Found this in the Half Price clearance section and I'm glad I picked it up.
The book is a well-selected survey illustrating the art style of combining drawings and words for a humorous effect -- but in a very understated way. The results are a blend of graphic design, comic, and social commentary. Think David Shrigley, Banksy, Shel Silverstein, and you're on the right path.

Thoughtful essays are part of the package, with the writing caliber what you would expect from a McSweeney's publication. T
Heather
Jul 07, 2012 Heather rated it it was ok
This book was so disappointing. I was tricked into buying it because I love 99% of everything McSweeney's puts out, PLUS, if you flip through it, the only pages that you will open up to are hilarious or thought provoking. Blatant book trickery. One of the few images that made me laugh was this:

______________________
almost Canadian

See? That was the best part of the whole book.
Tim
May 18, 2010 Tim rated it really liked it
This book really went out there and gave it 110% today. The review just went in it's favor and I gues it just pulled through. Very enjoyable for the $4.90 (!) someone else paid for it. Pettibon, Silverstein, Kalman, Crumb, & Mamet really made the plays. Anytime David Shrigley is in the starting lineup I am FABULOUSLY ENTERTAINED. Here are his statistics, you will not find them lacking.
Eric
Jul 26, 2010 Eric rated it liked it
Shelves: art-photography
It's great to see text-based fine art—by artists such as Tucker Nichols and Brian Rea—getting its due in this quasi-catalog for an exhibition Dave Eggers put together recently. The book as a whole suffers a bit from the inclusion of lesser artists, but overall it inspires me to make my own "things like this."
Adam Wilson
Dec 28, 2012 Adam Wilson rated it it was amazing
A well-curated assemblage of well... that's the question. The only thing in common with all the artists featured in this book is their folding together of text and illustration. It invites surrealism and articulates something about the strangeness of our times.
Kate
Jan 02, 2011 Kate rated it liked it
Recommends it for: doodlers, sketchers, hoarders, clippers
Recommended to Kate by: Sarah
Shelves: art
Making art is liking finding one's way without a map.

Music has lost its power. So has visual art. So has prose. Now it is the sole responsibility of the writers of limericks to describe the human condition.
Berna Vişne
Berna Vişne marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Pietro Tarantelli
Pietro Tarantelli marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Becca
Becca marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2016
Aoife
Aoife marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Carrie Niemi
Carrie Niemi marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2016
Eagan
Eagan added it
Jan 30, 2016
Weng Cahiles
Weng Cahiles rated it really liked it
Nov 29, 2015
J G
J G rated it really liked it
Nov 20, 2015
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2015
Jane
Jane marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
Ben
Ben marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2015
Amy DiPlacido
Amy DiPlacido rated it it was amazing
Nov 05, 2015
Charmaine Connan
Charmaine Connan marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2015
Brandon Mathis
Brandon Mathis rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2015
Azza
Azza marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Amber Demure
Amber Demure rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
McSweeney's Publishing is an American non-profit publishing house founded by editor Dave Eggers in 1998, headquartered in San Francisco. McSweeney's initially published only the literary journal Timothy McSweeney's Quarterly Concern , but has grown to publish novels, books of poetry, and other periodicals.

The recipient of dozens of awards for its contributions to literature and publishing, McSwe
More about McSweeney's Publishing...