Start by marking “All My Sisters” as Want to Read:
All My Sisters

All My Sisters

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  272 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
In the tumultuous years before the First World War, sisters Iris, Marianne, Eva and Clemency, born and raised in industrial Sheffield, seek to follow their dreams.

When twenty-year-old Marianne meets handsome, sophisticated Arthur Leighton at a local provincial ball, she knows that she has found the love of her life. Years pass, and Iris, her ambition of a grand marriage da
Published August 5th 2005 by Pan Publishing (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about All My Sisters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All My Sisters

Sense and Sensibility by Jane AustenTe di mi alma by Anna CasanovasThe Wicked Duke by Madeline HunterFalcon's Heart by Denise LynnSurrender the Heart by MaryLu Tyndall
"Marianne"
16th out of 31 books — 2 voters
The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCulloughThe Pillars of the Earth by Ken FollettThe Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa GregoryThe Ruby Brooch by Katherine Lowry LoganRoots by Alex Haley
Best Family Sagas
107th out of 344 books — 420 voters

More lists with this book...

Jirinka (sony08)
Aug 30, 2011 Jirinka (sony08) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
8/10
Enjoyed this very much.
This story follows the lives of the Maclise family from Sheffield at the beginning of the 20th century through 1st World War.
Seven siblings must all overcome their own troubles to find what they are looking for.
Especially the sisters Marianne, Iris, Eva and Clemency.
Marianne must find a way out of a marriage she should never have agreed to and escape the wilderness of Ceylon and the rage of her husband Lucas.
Iris must overcome her own vanity to find he love that was r
Ann
Mar 01, 2015 Ann rated it really liked it
This story of people, life and their problems is set pre WW1 and follows the path of four sisters as they try to find meaning and love in a time when Britain, soon to be at war, is stubbornly denying women their voting rights. I give this book 4 stars and file it on the same shelf as a Maeve Binchy novel.
Ritja
Hörbuchrezension

Für diese Geschichte braucht man einen langen Atem und Durchhaltevermögen. Judith Lennox baut ihre Geschichte bis ins kleinste Detail aus und versucht alles sehr bildlich zu erzählen. Die Schwestern in dieser Geschichte könnten nicht unterschiedlicher sein. Auch ihr Leben verläuft so ganz anders als sie es sich jemals vorstellten. Viele Schicksalsschläge müssen sie hinnehmen und versuchen zu verarbeiten. Nicht immer gelingt es ihnen, aber sie geben niemals auf. Die Familie wird v
Zara
Das war mein erster Frauen- und Gesellschaftsroman und es ist nicht so mein Ding. Ich kann nicht einmal genau erklären, woran es lag, aber auf irgend etwas habe ich die ganze Zeit gewartet und es kam nicht. Aber mal zum Buch:

Die vier Schwestern (Iris, Marianne, Eva, Clemency) sind jede für sich gesehen schon außergewöhnliche Persönlichkeiten, über die man vermutlich schon einzeln ein Buch schreiben könnte. Alle vier zusammen genommen sind eine abwechslungsreiche Mischung an Charakteren und deren
Katia Barbier-Puente
Feb 05, 2016 Katia Barbier-Puente rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-favourites
A very good surprise !
I started to read this book and I was quite sure I was not going to finish it. The first chapters are very slow with not much going on : but as the story begins to unravel you grow attached to the personality of each sister and really can't put the book down.
I definitely recommend it if you're looking for a good family saga.
Carla
May 06, 2014 Carla rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
I needed an easy to read book for the weekend and this book fulfilled that need. A family of 4 sisters, 3 brothers, an always sick mother (is she really, or just manipulative) and hard working, stubborn father gives enough stories to fill a book of over 600 pages.
Lara
Jul 29, 2011 Lara rated it really liked it
My third Judith Lennox book, and as with the other two, I really enjoyed it. I love family saga's, and this one set in the early twentieth century is a great story of a large family and their inter-twining and separate lives. The characters are well written and believable, and their emotions come to life. The description of one characters grief was so well written, it made me quite emotional!! I can't wait to read another Judith Lennox soon.
Faisal Khatri
Mar 02, 2016 Faisal Khatri rated it it was amazing
I was very excited till the end. I like family drama very much with inter-relationship, love and betray. Also, this is from 1900 - 1920. I loved it and looking more such books.
Anna-lena Schmitz
Dec 06, 2009 Anna-lena Schmitz rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2009
Eventhough I normally don't like books that are set before the 1980's this one which plays at the begining of the 20th century really got me interested. Each sister has her own incredible ccharacter and it's really interesting how the author build these relationships.
Irene Holm
Nov 01, 2012 Irene Holm rated it really liked it
A really interesting book on different women in the early 1900 century; their life and love before and during World War I, and all the changes they must go through, -although it is a frustrating ending.
Kay Wells
Aug 16, 2012 Kay Wells rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
Yorkshire based story set in the yrs before world war 1. 4 different sisters in characters with different stories and nearly all end up moving back home to be together again. Good Read.
Eleionomae
Jul 26, 2010 Eleionomae rated it really liked it
Heerlijk boek om bij weg te dromen. Makkelijke stof waar je verder niet al te veel bij hoeft na te denken, maar toch zeker geen hersenloos verhaal.
Kathryn
Jul 11, 2008 Kathryn rated it really liked it
Gift from Sylvia. I read this in Atlanta and on the plane. Engrossing.
May Mahmoud McGovern
Dec 16, 2013 May Mahmoud McGovern rated it really liked it
Shelves:
This has been an amazing book thus far.
Elin
Dec 08, 2008 Elin rated it liked it
081119 - 081208
Dary
Dary marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Jill Mitchell
Jill Mitchell marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
Sanna Mäki
Sanna Mäki rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2016
Irene
Irene rated it it was amazing
May 06, 2016
tination
tination marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Ber Power
Ber Power rated it it was amazing
May 02, 2016
Peggy
Peggy added it
Apr 30, 2016
Jo
Jo marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Micki Levin
Micki Levin marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
coralie schaare
coralie schaare rated it really liked it
May 04, 2016
Crystal
Crystal marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
  • Hiobs Brüder
  • Samlede Strunge
  • Sahnehäubchen
  • Touched
  • Die Spur der Hebamme (Hebammen Saga, #2)
  • Das Haus der Schwestern
  • Invisible Thread
  • Matilda's Last Waltz
  • The Last Kestrel
  • Die Sternseherin (Licht & Schatten, #2)
  • Strand of a Thousand Pearls: A Novel
  • Der Himmel über Darjeeling
  • Last Dance with Valentino
  • Die Templerin (Die Templerin, #1)
  • Die Nebelsängerin (Das Erbe der Runen, #1)
  • Nothing Lasts Forever
Aka Judith Lennox-Smith

Judith Lennox lives in Cambridgeshire, England with her husband and three sons.
More about Judith Lennox...

“Often she felt as though she had been picked up and turned about like a kaleidoscope, that all her complacent assumptions had been shaken up and reassembled in a different order” 3 likes