Empire of Ivory: A Novel of Temeraire

Empire of Ivory: A Novel of Temeraire (Temeraire #4)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  10,133 ratings  ·  556 reviews
“A new writer is soaring on the wings of a dragon.”
–The New York Times

“Enthralling reading–it’s like Jane Austen playing Dungeons & Dragons with Eragon’s Christopher Paolini.”
–Time, on His Majesty’s Dragon

Tragedy has struck His Majesty’s Aerial Corps, whose magnificent fleet of fighting dragons and their human captains valiantly defend England’s shores against the...more
Published September 25th 2007 by Del Rey (first published January 1st 2007)

Corrielle
Meredith Galman
In terms of both theme and action, this book seems more like a direct sequel, and a worthier follow-up, to Throne of Jade than the rather pointless Black Powder War. Back in England, Laurence and Temeraire discover the fighting dragons have been devastated by an unknown plague. Since Temeraire seems to have survived it, he and others of his consort are dispatched back to Africa to try and find the cure. There they encounter several African tribes and yet another societal relationship between h...more
Trin
The fourth in the Temeraire series, and the one I've enjoyed the most since the introductory book. Which is to say, a lot. This one felt more tightly structured than the last, with the disease plot as a brilliantly chosen and terrifying centerpiece. I've never had a dragon, obviously, but the idea of losing one made me ache almost as much as the thought of losing one's daemon in His Dark Materials. The African setting really came alive; I love how we're getting to see how different cultures aro...more
Zen Cho
P. Aaron Potter
CLIFFHANGER WARNING!

Newly proposed law: any book which ends on a verifiable Cliffhanger must sport a warning label, in bright orange, which covers no less than 25% of the available cover. "Verifiable," in this case, is subject entirely to the judgment of the Minister of Books, ie me.

Seriously, I got into George R. R. Martin's books with eyes wide open. I knew I was going to be left hanging. I have no beef with him.
But generally, if you put "book one of a trilogy" on your front cover, I'm not go...more
Jamie
I'm loving this series. This one has a sort of cliffhanger ending, which I don't in general care for, and I'm glad the next book is already available. I'm going to be really frustrated when I finish that one - I hate it when I "catch up" on a series and have to wait a year or more between books.

Novik's writing gets better and better. I kept going back to re-read sections that were particularly compelling, and there are some very funny scenes. I love the Regency-era dialog.
Samrat
This was really much better than the third book. I really like how articulately Novik (and Temeraire) condemns slavery (duh, but still grateful) and goes to lengths to explain the Tswana society/religion, but I dunno, some of the descriptions were irksome and most of the African characters underdeveloped. I really like how creative and distinct each culture has been in their relationships to their dragons. Super happy about the ending. I don't even mind the cliffhangers because the stories feel...more
Saphirablue
Tari_Roo
Well, after the first book, this book is my next favourite. The anxiety and tension in books 2 and 3 restrained my complete enjoyment, but with Empire of Ivory, I was reading avidly, unable to put the book down.

The first notes of enjoyment were Iskierka and the ferals - who were delightfully funny and amusing, especially in contrast to the overhanging sorrow and worry with the plague affecting the other dragons. And as frustrating as Laurence finds the British Government, I found them worthy of...more
Glee
OK, first book was Temeraire's birth and early training in England (with his trusty sidekick, Will Laurence, British naval officer turned dragon captain), followed by Temeraire's exploration of his "roots" in China, then Temeraire on the Silk Road, with special emphasis on Constantinople and other Balkan hot spots, and now in book 4, we have Temeraire in Africa!!

As ridiculous as this sounds, these are more than just ripping good fantasy reads. There is a lot of history (and geography) wedged in...more
Otherwyrld
A much better book than the previous one, with much better pacing. The real downer of an ending took the edge off a possible 5 star rating though.

Temeraire and his crew finally make it home only to find most of the dragons sick with a lung complaint that kills them slowly and agonisingly. So, with barely time to draw breath they find themselves on their way to Africa to look for a cure. This seems to be little more than a blind stab in the dark, based on the fact that Temeraire didn't get sick....more
BJ Rose
Well, we traveled to another continent in this book. In His Majesty's Dragon it was Europe (England especially) and the Napoleonic Wars, in Throne of Jade it was Asia (China specifically), in Black Powder War it was the region of Eurasia (Turkey), and in this book we travel to Africa to try to find a cure for the deadly disease that is decimating the dragons. In the process, they are captured and enslaved, and ... (well, more would be a serious spoiler).

Again, this book didn't really grab me unt...more
Audrey Dailey

This is the 4th book in the Temeraire series. While the ongoing conflict with Napoleon and France overshadows this novel, the bigger problem at hand is a consumptive disease that is threatening the lives of all dragons in Britain. So almost immediately after returning home from China, Laurence and Temeraire are headed off to Africa in search of a warmer climate and a cure. What they find is that their knowledge of African dragons and customs is sorely lacking. The book has a cliff-hanger ending...more
nicebutnubbly
I love this series, but I really didn't like this one much. While the beginning was interesting, and the end was more so, the middle takes us to Africa and randomly deposits us into a new culture whose analog in history (if any) was not apparent to me. The point of the trip to Africa may be some impact on the world that we'll need for future books, but it's barely mentioned in the fifth book, and I can't help but feel that it was a ridiculous interpolation in terms of the wider narrative flow. W...more
Judy
Probably 3.5 stars because I thought the middle third of the book dragged on a bit. For once, I'm glad I came to this series a bit late and don't have to wait for the next release since this one ended on a cliffhanger. I felt pretty sad by the end of this book, but I'll definitely read the next one. Wonderful narration of the audiobook.
Hazel
Well crafted historical fantasy that was immediately engaging. Novik has done her research and presents convincing period detail. Her fight scenes are exciting and realistic, and I particularly appreciate the high casualty rate, no namby-pamby romanticism here. The characters are growing on me too and it's nice to see Temeraire's personality develop. Again, there is an attempt to describe the place of dragons in another culture. Lately I was reminded of H Rider Haggard. I am glad to say that Nov...more
Karen
In the fourth installment of the Temeraire series, Will Laurence and his dragon Temeraire return to England to find most of the dragons in the Aerial Corp deathly ill, and they (and their crew) soon set off to Africa to find a possible cure. While not the main focus of the book the picture of the slave trade was accurate and brutal, and I very much enjoyed that historical figures such as William Wilberforce, Horatio Nelson and Napoleon made appearances. Another great historical adventure story f...more
Felicity
One of the things that is really pleasing about the Temeraire books is how, while I see some smaller plot developments coming, Novik sets up huge unexpected reversals of stakes, and does it so far in advance you have to admire the craftsmanship as well as the effect. This book goes in quite an unexpected direction from the last one, and takes us out of the Napoleon tunnel vision we might have been settling into.

I admit I was trepidacious when I realized the characters were going to Africa. Some...more
Linda
Anna
*Don't* pick up this book unless you have the next one in the series sitting at your fingertips. It ends with a cliffhanger that made me cry even though I *knew* our heroes had to survive (given the length of the series.)

I think this is the best book in the series so far. Yes, it does succumb to some of the same world-building preoccupation that slows down the previous two books, but that world is fascinating, the characters are wonderful, and we get to explore yet another continent!
Shiloh (Fantastic Reading)
Laurence and Temeraire finally return to England and discover why the English haven't been helping with the war effort--the dragons have come down with a sickness that so far doesn't have a cure. Laurence and Temeraire head back to Africa to look for a cure, but it's not going to be easy. . .

This is easily the most tightly plotted book of the series so far, even more so than the first one. It's also the most interesting, as the stakes are higher than just whether Temeraire will be taken away fro...more
Alec
This series continues to be one of the most effortlessly enjoyable around - while still managing a level of social discourse unprecedented among its peers. While Novik is by no means the first person to think about these issues nor their deepest inquisitor, it is still endlessly refreshing to find $5 paperbacks making such an effort to have serious discussions about gender, sexuality and race.

And dragons and boats.
Logan Smith
I'm a fan of the series, and this one had some good stuff, but the structure and pacing of the story just seemed a little off. I was most of the way into the book and I still wasn't really hooked on any primary conflict or plot arc.
Jose Solis
Buena novela de la serie. Comienza un tanto lenta y aburrida pero hacia el final se pone emocionante y termina con un cliffhanger irresistible. De esos que hacen imperativo leer el siguiente libro... ;)
Brett
Starts off with a rough and unnecessary action section, but rebounds into a great story full of callbacks to Throne of Jade, with disease and morality serving as the primary villains. The movement for dragon rights in England finally gains a little traction, Iskaria & Granby are hilarious, and Jane makes a dashing admiral. However, the finale feels rushed and the book ends with England appearing to be the villainous side of the war, leaving me to root for all the main characters to defect an...more
Abby Jean
best of the series so far. awesome dragon stuff, zero military stuff since they're off to africa to find a cure for the dragon sickness, which is a good and propelling story without being so war-based. getting into the slavery of people/agency of dragons theme more, which is quite interesting. excited for the next one!
Brownbetty
This fourth book of the Temeraire series may actually be the best so far: it juggles a large cast, boldly shines a light on ethical middens of the nineteenth century British Empire, and is a romp the whole way through. At times I was compelled to do the upside-down dog-paddle of glee.
Peter Bensen
As I have made my way into and through this series of books I have had a harder time maintaining my enthusiasm. I still love the language, the two main characters, Dragon and Captain and I have mostly enjoyed the politics and the morality lessons inside the story. But the plots are slow in this and the preceding book in the series and I feel like I am having the lessons hammered into me. If I had not understood before, now I know about the evils of slavery. And yes, dragons are slaves in a fashi...more
Barbara
Firstly I just want to warn people off reading the Kindle edition - it's littered with errors, unnecessary punctuation and random words where they shouldn't be.

About the book itself...I feel that every other book is a stunner. For example, I really loved 1 and 3 because they were really fast paced and hard to put down with their twists and turns. But 2 and 4 I found slower and dragged slightly in the middle. I don't think slower is necessarily a bad thing, especially with the second book which...more
Janine Ekstrand
Titel: Elefenbensriket bok 4(Enpire of Ivory)
Författare: Naomi Novik
Serie: Temeraire series
Utgångs år:2009
Antal sidor: 380

Omdöme:
Utspelar sig under Napoleon kriget, och precise som de tidigare böckerna, är detta en bra fantasy. Det jag kan tycka är lite minus i kanten, är att det är långa kapitel. Jag tycker att Novik gör bra svängar i boken och att saker aldrig blir som man tänkt sig, och att man aldrig kan säga vad som kommer att handa sen. Det gör att man längtar efter att läsa nästa.

Jag ka...more
Temeraire Rp Group? 1 1 May 10, 2013 01:35PM
Temeraire: Empire of Ivory 3 3 Oct 10, 2012 06:04AM
Temeraire? 3 33 Apr 07, 2008 09:05PM
  • Dragon Outcast
  • The Alchemist in the Shadows (Les Lames du Cardinal, #2)
  • Shadow Magic (Havemercy #2)
  • Tooth and Claw
  • The Serpent Sea (Books of the Raksura #2)
  • The Broken Kingdoms (The Inheritance Trilogy, #2)
  • Flying Colours (Hornblower Saga: Chronological Order, #8)
  • The Tropic of Serpents (Memoir by Lady Trent #2)
  • Shadows Return (Nightrunner, #4)
  • The Privilege of the Sword (Riverside, #2)
  • Valour and Vanity (Glamourist Histories, #4)
  • The Dragon Waiting
  • The Dragon Delasangre (Dragon Delasangre, #1)
  • Wolf Captured (Firekeeper Saga, #4)
An avid reader of fantasy literature since age six, when she first made her way through The Lord of the Rings, Naomi Novik is also a history buff with a particular interest in the Napoleonic era and a fondness for the work of Patrick O’Brian and Jane Austen. She studied English literature at Brown University, and did graduate work in computer science at Columbia University before leaving to partic...more
More about Naomi Novik...
His Majesty's Dragon (Temeraire, #1) Throne of Jade (Temeraire, #2) Black Powder War (Temeraire, #3) Victory of Eagles (Temeraire, #5) Tongues of Serpents (Temeraire, #6)

“Proper circus you make,' Berkley said, with a snort of laughter Laurence considered unnecessary, when they landed in the clearing and set the dog down; it promptly went tearing around the parade ground yelling at the dragons. For their part they were only interested and curious until the dog bit a too-inquisitive Dulcia on the tender nip of her muzzle, at which she hissed in anger; the dog yelped and fled back to the dubious shelter of Temeraire's side; he looked down at it in irritation and tried unsuccessfully to nudge it away.

'Pray be careful of the creature; I have no idea how we should get or train another,' Laurence said, and Temeraire at last grumbling allowed it to curl up beside him.”
1 likes
“Keynes, quite ignoring the covert gestures, the attempts at signaling, of nearly every senior officer, examined [Lily] and declared that she was perfectly fit to fly, "had better fly, I should say; this agitation is unnatural, and must be worked off."

"But perhaps," Laurence said, voicing the reluctance which the captains all privately shared, and they as a body began to suggest flights out over the ocean, along the scenic and settled coastline and back; gentle exercise.

"I hope," Catherine said, going pink clear up to her forehead in a wave of color, "I hope that no-one is going to fuss; I would dislike fuss extremely.”
1 likes