Start by marking “Murder in Jerusalem (Michael Ohayon Series #6)” as Want to Read:
Murder in Jerusalem (Michael Ohayon Series #6)

Murder in Jerusalem (Michael Ohayon #6)

3.70  ·  Rating Details  ·  192 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
"Modern Israel is a place filled with contradictions: the beautiful landscape often rife with human conflict; the tranquil and the peaceful in constant struggle with terrible destruction; and amazing human love and kindness set against a backdrop of civil strife. Through the eyes of a writer like Batya Gur and her creation, Chief Superintendent Michael Ohayon, these comple ...more
Published August 1st 2006 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Murder in Jerusalem, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder in Jerusalem

rivka
Nov 25, 2015 rivka rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, jewish, bookswaps
Warning: Yeshivish ahead.

I really wanted to like this book. But I gave up after about 120 pages (and wanted to give up after about 50). I did not like a single character. In fact, I found them varying levels of distasteful, disgusting, and just plain boring. I realize they are secular Israelis, not haredim or datiyim, but they are still supposed to be bayshanim! But no, they're all adulterous bed-hopping narcissists.

Ugh. Pass.
Deb Oestreicher
Jul 27, 2012 Deb Oestreicher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the last novel in Batya Gur's Michael Ohayon mystery series and I am sorry it's over (the author passed away a few years ago). These mysteries are great reading because of excellent writing and an intriguing protagonist-detective (former medieval history scholar Ohayon applies the analytic and empathetic skills gained in the halls of academe as well as on-the-job experience to solve cases). They are also fascinating because they expose different aspects of Israeli society to which, I'd g ...more
Jim Leffert
Oct 11, 2015 Jim Leffert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gur’s final mystery novel, featuring Police Detective Michael Ohayon, takes us inside the busy national Israeli Broadcasting network facility in Jerusalem, where a series of puzzling murders unfolds. We meet a panoply of well-sketched out characters, get to know their personalities, and watch them at work. One of them is a murderer and it takes Ohayon and his finely delineated team of detectives several hundred pages to identify who it is.

The television staffers are always in a rush to get thei
Marilyn
Jun 29, 2012 Marilyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the final israeli mystery by Batya Gur who died in 2005 at the age of 58. Gur was a literary critic and former literature teacher in Jerusalem. She wrote 6 fascinating mysteries which delve deeply into the personalities of the characters and are complex and well crafted. She indicates in the foreword that the impetus of this book was a screenplay of a miniseries about Israeli television that she wrote in collaboration with the director. The plot takes place in an Israeli news station whe ...more
Xerxessia
Feb 14, 2014 Xerxessia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Das Buch geht relativ langsam los. Wie immer bei Batya Gur fragte ich mich am Anfang, wann hier endlich mal ein Krimi stattfindet. Sie geht oft sehr ins Detail mit der Schilderung des Umfelds. Nach und nach wurde es dann spannender und am Schluss denke ich mir nur noch: "Uff, es muss wirklich nicht leicht sein, in Israel zu leben."

P.S.: Warum der Goldmann-Verlag den Büchern immer Titel geben muss, die mit dem Inhalt so gar nichts zu tun haben, frage ich mich schon fast nicht mehr.
Mary Ellen
Sep 07, 2007 Mary Ellen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery fans with an interest in Israel
Shelves: mysteries
This was the final book by Batya Gur, featuring Israeli policeman Michael Ohayon. My first reaction at finishing the book was renewed regret that Gur's life was cut short by cancer in 2005.

A series of mysterious deaths claim the lives of several employees of Israel Television, and Ohayon's Special Investigation team is called in. As usual, Gur gives her readers an inside view of a professional subculture and, for those (like myself) who are not Israeli, an insider's view of that culture as well.
Carol
Jun 11, 2014 Carol rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have just returned from Israel and chose this book as another way to learn more about that land and culture. It was eye opening! I realize I have had a naive view of this wonderful complex, many layered nation of contradictions.
Libby
Sep 27, 2011 Libby rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is the only book of Batya Gur's I've read, and I had an ulterior motive: I'm traveling to Israel for the first time in a month and thought I could learn something from this book. But it was really unsatisfying...little real character development and most of it boring descriptions of the people who work at the television station that is the focus of the murders. The ending is great because you find out the motives for the murders, but I think the author could have built it up more throughout ...more
Cynthia
Aug 09, 2014 Cynthia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm SO sad that she died when she had so many stories to tell. What a great set of characters - same feel as Gabriel Allon, sort of. Glad she gave us these six though... all of them good!
Alice
Feb 13, 2010 Alice rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
This is the first Gur novel I have read. I think the way she captures the subtle complexity of Jerusalem life, politics and religion is brilliantly done. I have read that this is the best of her Ohayon series - I can believe it. While I don't really know or like the main character, he is not fleshed out in this novel - I assume that is done elsewhere, it is the character of Jerusalem itself which is so expertly drawn through the varied 3 dimensional portraits of the Ashkenazi, the ultra-orthodox ...more
Alexandra
Oct 01, 2014 Alexandra rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't get into it, even though I really wanted to. There is a lot going on, and it's hard to see what one event has to do with another. Oh well.
Rachael
I had a hard time getting into the book, although I was glad I made the effort. I think part of my problem getting started was due the character Hefetz, who drove me nuts. Each time he spoke (which was thankfully less and less as the novel progressed) was wince-inducing. His character would go on and on asking rhetorical questions and then answering them several times.

This was my first novel by Gur, and perhaps reading others would negate this, but I felt like the subplot with Michael Ohayon wa
Chava
Boooooooooooring
Susan
I'm really sad to have finished the last of Batya Gur's mysteries featuring Michael Ohayon. As in her previous books, there's a mystery that's truly a mystery until the very end -- many complicated things interwoven, rather like real life. And, as always, there are serious questions about current issues in Israeli life. This time, the murder takes place at the Israeli national TV station, so we get a glimpse into that world as well.
Margaret Sankey
I always enjoy police procedurals set in places where the location significantly informs the motives and behavior of the suspects--this is a complex and absorbing view of contemporary Israeli life seen through the investigation of a murder at the national TV channel in the midst of producing a contentious historical drama.
Mimi
Jul 17, 2013 Mimi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The offices of Israel One television are thrown into confusion by the deaths of several key employees. An event in the past turns out to have motivated the murderer. Chief Superintendent Michael Ohayon leads the investigation.
Roxane
Jun 15, 2009 Roxane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent story - brings up interesting questions, introduces a different perspective of Israel as a country - just outstanding! Have thoroughly enjoyed this series - am sorry that this is the last one that will be written...
Mark
Jul 24, 2007 Mark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
For an excellent glimpse into modern Israeli society as well as a pretty good murder mystery on its own merits, this is a great choice. Unfortunately, the author died not long after publishing this novel.
Hapzydeco
May 11, 2010 Hapzydeco rated it liked it
More emphasis on the physical structure of the Channel One offices than on the characters. Reader perhaps should read the previous editions to this series before tackling this volume.
Samuel Elmaleh
May 19, 2013 Samuel Elmaleh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent pour la subtile description des conflits au sein de la société israélienne. Assez classique pour l'intrigue policière. A lire en vacances.
Carol Sheffer
Oct 04, 2015 Carol Sheffer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read all 6 of Batya Gur's books. I love wandering the streets of Jerusalem with her It is a true loss that she has passed away.
Joe
Jul 29, 2008 Joe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best of the batch. Written as she was dying.
Mary
Apr 13, 2010 Mary rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Too many words. I will try another book.
sara gonzalez
couldn't stop reading
Yan Schwartz
Yan Schwartz marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Sara Platero
Sara Platero rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2016
Deborah Pickstone
Deborah Pickstone marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
  • Monday the Rabbi Took Off
  • Four Meals
  • The Collaborator of Bethlehem
  • The Mandelbaum Gate
  • Keepers of the Gate (Ben Kamal and Danielle Barnea, #4)
  • Ceux qui vont mourir te saluent
  • Sleeping on a Wire: Conversations with Palestinians in Israel
  • The Prince of West End Avenue
  • Never Nosh a Matzo Ball
  • Seasick Whale
  • Snapshot (Inspector Challis, #3)
  • Dearest Anne
  • Persian Brides: A Novel
  • The Hill of Evil Counsel

Michael Ohayon (6 books)
  • The Saturday Morning Murder (Michael Ohayon, #1)
  • Literary Murder (Michael Ohayon, #2)
  • Murder on a Kibbutz (Michael Ohayon, #3)
  • Murder Duet (Michael Ohayon, #4)
  • Bethlehem Road Murder (Michael Ohayon, #5)