The Bargain Bride

The Bargain Bride

3.25 of 5 stars 3.25  ·  rating details  ·  201 ratings  ·  30 reviews
It was a match not made in heaven, but in pound notes-an arranged engagement between a girl of thirteen and a lord's younger son. Since then, thirteen years have passed, and as her betrothed has been sowing his wild oats, Penny has grown up, grown impatient, and grown resentful. In fact, she's vowed never to marry the man who blighted her life and destroyed her dreams.

Visc...more
Published November 3rd 2009 by Signet Book

To ask other readers questions about The Bargain Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bargain Bride

_inbetween_
Bleurgh. Remembering that Metzger was a more old-fashioned Heyer copyist, and that her books might be a bit boring and empty but potentially contain some love and affection, I came looking for romance - and found the usual tedious fuck fest. It was harder than studying fiscal economics formulas to finish this thing, even trying to skim endless inner monologues about nothing.

With a gay valet and a fainting dog around, it makes no sense not to use them, but she has nothing to do for them except be...more
Melody May
Todays pick is The Bargain Bride. I read this about three times when I was starting my collection of romance novels again. Let me share the history.

When I started to reading romance novels again, I always got embarrass at some of the covers. I got over that fast, since some of the covers are accompanied by some pretty good stories. Well, The Bargain Bride has a modest cover, so of course I bought it.

I love how the story starts out with a marriage agreement made when Persephone Goldwaite was 13 y...more
Jennifer Eckel
I always enjoy a novel by Barbara Metzger. The author never takes her heroes and heroines too seriously. There is always an element of sillines in stuffy Dukes, or rich heiresses. The current novel is no exception. Betrothed by their parents for 13 years the hero and heroine decide not to marry, and then say I do. After the hero receives a black eye courtesy of the heroine. There is an evil stepbrother who mars the path of true love, but happiness does eventually reign. Interesting characters in...more
Opal
I usually enjoy Metzger's humor, sudden twists and turns and how she ties all the crazy happenings together in the end.
But this book is just tedious. I couldn't even get to the part where they finally got married after 13 years of engagement. Persephone (why is she called Penny?) punches the hero on the nose because he has kept her hanging for 13 years. This happens in the first chapter. There is nothing interesting in this book after that. The issue with being engaged so long is mentioned ad na...more
Rebecca
This book started out promising enough, but it went on for way too long and eventually just got wacky. Like if books could get senile.
Carrie Olguin
DNF.

If women really behave towards men the way the heroine does in this book (because I never would), then as a gender, we owe men everywhere our heartfelt apologizes. And if women behave like this heroine, then no wonder men haven't a clue about women.

The H/h have been betrothed for 13 years with very little contact.

The hero finally shows up, not to marry her, but to have her cry off. She does so, punching him in the jaw as part of her answer.

Then her father arrives and blackmails the couple in...more
Audrey
Melissa
This book had some of the stereotypical elements of historical romance books. The main premise is an arranged marriage of a young girl with a large dowry to a member of the ton whose family has had financial hardship. The girl is young enough that it is an engagement for 13 years until she turns 26 and her father is pushing for the actual marriage. At this point the young girl has become jaded towards her fiance and wishes to dissolve the engagement. The groom is in agreement.

Due to circumstance...more
Edwina " I LoveBooks" "Deb"
This was my first time reading Ms. Metzger's book so I didn't know what to expect. However, I was very dissapointed with the herion of the story Penny she was always angry, mean spirited, revengful and she acted like a 5 year old having a temper tantrum. She was betroth at 13 by her father, who just wanted her to married into a titled family. So 13 years later the hero West has come for her in hopes she will cry off the marriage, but the two of them are forced to marry, because of the contract b...more
Olivia
It was wonderful to read a newly released "Metzger" book! This story is written in the same vein as her 1980's and 1990's traditional regencies. I liked both the hero and heroine, each strong in their own way, but not so strong that their clashing was jarring to the story.
Some parts I found irritating, like at the beginning, the hero was totally against marriage and he seemed to give in without much of a fight. The heroine seemed too focused on the hero's past rakish behavior and was not willin...more
Maria
Penny and West were engaged as children by their fathers. 13 years later, they are forced into the marriage that neither of them wanted but they must learn to work together and overcome.

Why I picked this book up: I'm a sucker for the forced marriage senario. I like the compromise and learning that has to take place for happily ever after to occur.

Why I finished this book: I didn't want to go to bed, and this gave me an excuse to stay up late.

Who I would recommend this book to: A little too sil...more
Tasmia
This feels so like old school Balogh/Laurens/airy 80s category regencies that I was genuinely baffled to learn it was first published in 2009. I thought this type of light blend of humour and character/story tropes was a thing of the past - this is so minimal on plot and detail and angst. But it's a clipping, fun read whose characters are likeable even though they're sometimes obnoxious and ultimately less than three dimensional. I liked it so much I bought it in hard copy, though now I don't qu...more
Barbara
I picked this up at the bookstore because it had gotten a nice review or two and it sounded interesting. Well, I can now scratch Barbara Metzger from my list. What a disappointment. The premise was fine and interesting, but the characters--OMG! The hero and heroine did a lot of talking AT each other, instead of communicating, the heroine's favorite ploy seemed to be stalking off in a huff and the minor characters were eccentric to a very annoying degree. I just couldn't bring myself to read past...more
Sharyn
I like Barbara Metzger and was surprised to find this 2009 book in the library. Regency's are usually fun and this was no exception. A lot of miscommunication, a little mystery, some married sex, and a heroine who wants to be independent. She even threw in a gay character who was very funny. After being betrothed for 13 years, 26 year old Penny is about to give up when her bethrothed Viscount shows up. She initially turns him down, but her father insists on the marriage. That is all I will revea...more
Rebecca (everyday reader)
Thirteen years is a long time to be engaged, and some of the things that West did during that time were not exactly considerate, but Penny and West did not know each other so his actions or inactions during this time should not be held against him. Penny is an independent woman with her own ideas, West is a hard-working and intelligent man, and neither of them expects to fall head over heels in love with each other after they actually aquaint themselves. Sweet romance!! Good read!!
Jacqueline Seewald
I very much enjoy Barbara Metzger's Regency romances. Over the years, they have become more sexually explicit as is the trend in historical romance in general. However, her novels have not lost any of the wit and charm of the earlier Signet Regencies. If you love Regencies as I do, you will adore Barbara Metzger's novel, and this one is no exception.

Jacqueline Seewald
Kathy
I've read a few of Metzgers books, which were clean. Almost halfway into this one there was a love scene that was a bit too descriptive for me. That and the other innuendos and figuring there would only be more kept me from finishing. I did like Penny and West though, just not enough to finish.

Content: per www.likesbooks.com this would be considered "warm."
Cary
Strong & non-trusting heroine, stronger & completely reliable hero typical back and forth until a rather silly twist leading to the happy ending. Not much sexual description. Woo-Hoo!
A slower paced novel. I think half the chapters could have been edited out. Too many long winded descriptions and boring conversations really detract from the romantic aspect.
Daisy
This was a very enjoyable read :) I loved everything about it. Penny is a really strong and independent woman who doesn't need a man. But in the end she finds the perfect one :)
Helena
I enjoyed this book and the humor MsMitzgar created as she wrote this book had me laughing...although a bit descriptive but an enjoyable read all the same.
Pr!ya
Historical romance with a strong, intelligent heroine whose actions sometimes left me in tears - of laughter. Overall, fun read.
Jkdaun
Poorly written with uninteresting characters. Quite a disappointment even for a romance novel. Blah, blah, blah...
It started to turn a little too romance novel for me and I just felt that it was a little farfetched!!
Ashley
Oct 06, 2012 Ashley rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyine who loves a good love story
Recommended to Ashley by: Mom
Loved it, very well written, had me feeling all the emotions along with the characters :)
Linda
Cute and funny, I almost always enjoy Barbara Metzger's work.
Heather
A galloping, lighthearted read in the traditional romance style.
Mary Kay
Regency romance by the always-reliable Barbara Metzger
Annie
The wedding night with George was priceless.
Mary
I didn't like this one as much.
  • The Dutiful Rake
  • Once a Gentleman (Ladies' Fashionable Cabinet, #3)
  • A Waltz at Midnight
  • Married: The Virgin Widow
  • The Fortune Hunter (Lord Rival, #2)
  • Deceived
  • Nothing To Commend Her
  • The Shy Duchess
  • The Seduction of a Duke (Chambers Trilogy, #2)
  • The Dissolute Duke (Wellinghams, #4)
  • Three Weddings and a Giggle
  • Reforming the Viscount
  • An Infamous Marriage
  • His Yankee Bride
  • Simply Scandalous
  • The Unlikely Wife (Bowen, #2)
  • Lord of a Thousand Nights (Medieval #6)
  • The Charmer (Liar's Club #4)
Barbara Metzger is the author of over three dozen books and a dozen novellas. She has also been an editor, a proof-reader, a greeting card verse-writer, and an artist. When not painting, writing romances or reading them, she volunteers at the local library, gardens and goes beach-combing and yard-saling.

Her novels, mostly set in Regency-era England, have won numerous awards, including the Romance...more
More about Barbara Metzger...
Miss Lockharte's Letters (Regency Romance) Ace of Hearts (House of Cards #1) Snowdrops and Scandalbroth (Regency Romance) A Worthy Wife Wedded Bliss