Start by marking “Day of Confession” as Want to Read:
Day of Confession

Day of Confession

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  1,182 ratings  ·  81 reviews
A heart-thumping whirlwind of action, suspense & murder that reaches deep into the highest levels of Vatican power & uncovers a demonic scheme to massacre hundreds of thousands of Chinese in an attempt to establish a new Holy Roman Empire on the Chinese mainland in the twenty-first century.
Published November 16th 2008 by Vision (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Day of Confession, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Day of Confession

Bill Thibadeau
This was my first time reading Allan Folsom so I had no previous exposure to him or reviews by others. When I started to write this review at Amazon, I was very surprised to see that the reviews were almost evenly spaced on each of the five star ratings. I found myself questioning how to write a fair review but here goes.

I found the story to be interesting right from the start but then I enjoy stories about the sins of the Catholic church. I found the book to be a page turner. I really did not w
Mister Jones
Where's a good editor when you need one? Because one was really needed.
Days of Confession just lags; the characters are not that well-developed or convincing. On top of that, the inaccuracy about the water being poisoned as an act of sabotage was just plain hilarious. Any idiot whose lived or even visited China knows that the surest way to experience bowel contractions is to drink the water straight from the tap. That's why they boil it if they drink it! But why should that inaccuracy stop you?
Michael Llewellyn
Folsom’s short chapters (probably due to his television and screenwriting background) make for an amazingly fast read, fortunate for wrangling this overlong (566pp), overbaked thriller involving another wildly convoluted scramble for world domination. This time the bad guy is the Vatican’s second-in-command, one Cardinal Palestrina, who (get this) believes he’s the reincarnation of Alexander the Great, without the gay aspect of course. If that’s not woo-woo enough, the good cardinal plans to rea ...more
Chuck
A Cardinal is assassinated in Rome; another priest is
accused. A complicated plot. Foreboding atmosphere.
Tony
Allan Folsom- Day of Confession 3.75 Stars

The Cardinal Vicar of Rome has just been assassinated and Harry Addison’s brother has been listed as the number one suspect. Harry Addison in Los Angeles, got a concerning message on his answering machine from his brother whom he hasn’t spoken to in many years, right before finding out that his brother was killed in a bus explosion. Rushing to Italy to bring his brother’s body home, he finds himself being treated as a suspect in the whole plot. Throwing
Jazz
Folsom is a very talented writer. He causes a wide range of emotions to surge in the reader, from fear, to concern, to that spine-tingling feeling of suspense when you really have no idea what will happen. Most of all I felt a lot of sympathy and empathy for many of the characters, especially those innocent folks who are dragged into this horrible conspiratorial web and who you wish the best outcome for, but know that not everyone can be saved. Perhaps that is what I find different about Folsom’ ...more
Carlos
Allan Folsom es un escritor norteamericano que se hizo un nombre en el apartado de los thrillers con su novela The day After Tomorrow, la cual dicen los conocedores que es excelente, yo no la he leído aun. Pero conociendo esa “garra” que tienen algunos escritores no tuve mas remedio que comprar este libro que prometía mucho y que es el segundo de este escritor. Day of Confession (Warner Vision, 1998, 667pp, $8.00USD). Definitivamente es un placer leer en inglés por lo barato que sale, ¿que libro ...more
Wendy
Denise
Este libro me recordó mucho la novela de Thomas Gifford, Assassini. Sin embargo el ritmo que lleva ésta novela de Allan Folsom es mucho más vertiginoso lo cual hace la lectura mucho más emocionante. En ésta novela Harry Addison, abogado Norte Americano viaja a Italia después de recibir una extraña llamada de su hermano Daniel, sacerdote del Vaticano, y enterarse de que está muerto. Al viajar a Italia para recuperar el cuerpo de su hermano y debido a diversas circunstancias se descubre inmerso en ...more
Fredrick Danysh
Harry Addison gets a strange call from his brother in Rome. A cardinal is assassinated during the Pope's birthday celebration. Harry's brother is on a tourist bus when a bomb explodes on it. Harry needs to find out who and why priests like his brother are being killed.
Kitty
Only two female characters, both with sex on their minds - hm... Other than that, it was fun and sometimes a page-turner. Interesting plot line about China.
Yasmin Spicer
My first try at a crime fiction novel. definately written by a white male. despite this the story was enjoyable, fast paced, if a little predictable.
Kerry
Lots of intrigue and well developed characters. Most of the action takes place in Rome and I enjoyed the reminders of places I had been, especially in the Vatican. Not certain that all the places described actually exist, they are interesting however and add to the story. It's a great 'who done it' with a lot of twists and turns that will keep you connected and engaged.
I like the story within the story and think being reminded that realtionships are one of the most important things in life only
Rob
Gutter Dwarf Hercules, China Lake Poison very fast paced a very good read just a bit strange. Rated 8 of 10
Karen morsecode
Day of Confession is another one of the inside-the-Catholic-church conspiracy thrillers. I liked the book overall, particularly how layered its plot is, but I'm not sure it's one that I would have chosen to read had it been in traditional book form.

The one thing that I found most interesting is that the two biggest villains both suffered from some sort of mental illness. I'm not sure if Folsom is using that instability to justify their actions. Is he trying to imply that people can't be evil by
Saqib Khan
Page turner set in Rome on the same style as Dan' Brown's work.
Claire
Excellent book, one to keep and read again.
Trina
Detail overload. Just dragged on and on. FINALLY finished it.
Leela
Day of Confession is a tale of duty, brotherhood, courage and misguided ambition. A confession from a senior member of Holy See shatters the life of Father Danny Addison in Vatican. A panicked phone call from his brother has the same effect of Harry Addison in L.A. A disgruntled employee in Eastern China is about to set into motion a sequence of events that have the potential to impact the balance of power around the world.
An interesting read with vivid detail about Italian countryside and Vati
Joe
I found this to be a quick read due, in large part, to the short chapters(163) and the exciting plot and writing style. The only draw back is the large number of characters that are conveniently listed in the front and a source I had to constantly check to know who was who. BUT, that did not really detract from a very good story with a lot of twists and turns. If you like a good fast-paced mystry, "Day of Confession" is for you.
Charlie Newfell
Interesting concept, but falls short in a couple of aspects. The settings (mostly Italy) are described in detail and are well-done. You get a real sense of place. The main characters fall short however. What are they really like? The two main characters are really never fully fleshed out...neither are any of the other characters really. Just shells. The story (although completely unrealistic) is still told well.
Brian Hinderman
Suprised at how much I enjoyed this, due to the subject matter. I was a little hesitant. So glad I decided to pick it up. Another good one from Mr Folsom.
Nancy Hartill
This was an edge of your seat thriller. I've read several books on Vatican conspiracies, but this is at the top of the list. If you've been to Italy, you'll relish in all your favorite haunts in Rome as well as Assissi, Milan, and Lake Como. I really enjoyed reading this and will look for another book by Folsom. I couldn't put it down!
Karapet Petrosyan
Just an uninteresting scenario for an action movie.
Rick
I was very disappointed with this book. The story line was great and the writing was great to but there was so much sex and language that I couldn't see around all of that to enjoy the book like I wanted to. I was hoping I had found another author that I could enjoy as much as Clive Cussler but alas not this one
Raymond
This is the first of Allan Folsom books I have read (Just happened to be next on the shelf). I really enjoyed the book; style is similar to that of Robert Ludlum. Although it stretches the realm of feasibility in places has enough suspense to hold your attention. I will definitely be looking for more of his books.
Aldafan
I liked the plot. Two brothers, one a priest and one a Hollywood lawyer reunite during a episode of mystery and intrigue at the Vatican. The plot was good and the book was a page turner but the ending was SO gruesome. I wish mysteries had some kind of labeling so we would know the level of gore!
Bill
This was a good read - in the thriller/mystery/intrigue category. I hadn't heard of Folsom before, but picked up this book because of its NYT bestseller status. Not the sort of book that teaches life lessons or provides deep insights, but a fun and involving read. I'll seek out other books by this author.
Dixie Johns
Not a mystery reader, but this one caught my attention, for the wrong reason, because of the cover of a pic of the dome of the Sistine Chapel. The author was skillful as keeping the intrigue and interest of the reader while trying to figure out "who done it" and how the characters are related.
Keith
Funny... was browsing my Amazon history and saw that I purchased (and subsequently read) this book back in 1999. In other words, it was forgettable.

I wonder how many other books I've read like this that have been totally lost to the memory vacuum.
  • Sing It To Her Bones (Hannah Ives Mystery #1)
  • Above the Law
  • The Death of a Pope
  • The Magdalene Cipher
  • Grand Jury
  • The Soul of Capitalism: Opening Paths to a Moral Economy
  • The Fall of the House of Bush: How a Group of True Believers Put America on the Road to Armageddon
  • Rewriting History
  • The Republican Noise Machine: Right-Wing Media and How It Corrupts Democracy
  • The True and Only Heaven: Progress and Its Critics
  • Dead Lines: A Novel of Life . . . After Death
  • Adept
Until the international success of THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW, Allan Folsom was a jobbing screen writer, contributing to such series as Hart to Hart. He lived in Santa Barbara with his wife, an artist, and their young daughter. Mr. Folsom died of complications of melanoma.
More about Allan Folsom...
The Day After Tomorrow The Machiavelli Covenant The Exile The Hadrian Memorandum Day After Tomorrow Part 1

“He was tired, he realized, emotionally and physically. He wanted to lie down and turn off the world and sleep for a week.” 2 likes