Casanegra (Tennyson Hardwick, #1)

Casanegra (Tennyson Hardwick #1)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  658 ratings  ·  91 reviews
Casanegra follows the adventures of Tennyson Hardwick, a gorgeous, sexy actor and former gigolo, living on the fringes of the good life in Hollywood. This story, which chronicles the redemption of a prodigal son, combines the glamour of Hollywood with the seedy hopelessness of the inner city.

Published June 19th 2007 by Atria Books (first published 2007)

Cheryl
AWESOME BOOK!

Tennyson Hardwick used to be in the sex for pay business, but is not in that anymore. He hooked up with a rapper named Serena who he knew from his past. He was really looking forward to spending more time with her, then she is murdered and he is a suspect. That happens right in the beginning of the book. He is determined to find out who did this.

I could really imagine this book being made into a movie. I see Tennyson as a very hot and sexy man. This book has some steamy sex scenes!...more
Tiffany
Really Loved this book!! The main character Tennyson (Ten) Hardwick has a past, he's flawed...but underneath all his damage lies a good heart. when a friend he really cares about is murdered he goes out of his way, puts his life on the line to figure out who's behind it!! Blair Underwood did an excellent job, very well written, and fast paced. If you enjoy a good who done it murder mystery then this is a book to pick up and read!!
drey
Casanegra is the story of Tennyson "Ten" Hardwick - out-of-work actor, former gigolo, son of a retired cop with a heart problem... One fine day, he's in the hood when he stops for lunch. And his life gets waaaaaaay complicated.

There's murder. Gangs. Gangsta rappers. Crooked cops. And Ten finds himself the main suspect in not one, but two murders. So he does what any self-respecting (or not) dude can do - try to figure out whodunnit. Before he's another lifeless body to add to the count...

This wa...more
Shawnette
Edge of Your Seat Entertainment!

Mr. Blair Underwood along with his co-authors Barnes and Due have pulled off a thrilling roller coaster ride of the written word. It was like watching a highly engaging movie unfold. The characters were well developed and definitely believable. Despite all of Ten's flaws you couldn't help but fall in love with his character and root for him to get out of all the sticky situations he got caught up in. And the storyline flowed effortlessly. All I can say is KUDOS, M...more
Jewell
May 27, 2011 Jewell rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes murder mysteries.
If you like crime mysteries then this is one to read. When Tennison Hardwick is framed for the murders of a famous rap star turned actress and then a police officer, he sets out to find out who the real killers are. Yes, a typical story line but Blair Underwood, Tannarive Due and her husband Steven Barnes make the typical not so. Set in California, the story is fast-paced and as an addition, makes mention of books, movies, actresses, actors, musicians, etc who were great contributors to African-...more
Janelle
Umm this book kind of got on my nerves...I felt like it was very long and drawn out. I did enjoy the plot and dialogue it was missing something. I didn't necessarily like all of the references to Tupac, Biggie etc. in that respect it tended to be a bit cliche. I did however like the idea of a black mystery being solved by a black character. That is all I can say...
Kellea
This was a pretty good first attempt for Blair Underwood. I enjoyed the Hollywood backdrop very much, however, the sex scenes were over the top, some unnecessary. Overall, it was good though, looking forward to reading the next book in the series.
Mocha Girl
Casanegra is Blair Underwood's latest novel that focuses on the adventures of a suave, male escort-turned- actor, Tennyson (Ten) Hardwick - yes, that is his name -- fitting for a former Los Angeles gigolo, huh? Ten, motherless at an early age, is also a former police academy drop-out who had a run in with the law during his escorting tenure. He views himself as a disappointment and embarrassment to his highly revered and retired police lieutenant father which not surprisingly fosters a strained...more
Kimberly Hicks
Jun 23, 2012 Kimberly Hicks rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mature Readers
Recommended to Kimberly by: Goodreads
Everytime I checked my 'to read' list, this book constantly popped up and I don't know why I chose to ignore it, but I must say this was a rare find and an exciting one to stumble across.

I absolutely loved this book. It had some of the most captivating love scenes I've read in a while, and the funny thing is, there were about two and a half love scenes in the book and I enjoyed them--and you wanna know why? Because there was a STORY behind it. E. L. James could take a page out of Blair's book. L...more
Nascha
I really enjoyed this book. While it was a mystery plot and there were some very thrilling twists and turns, I felt that it was more about the characters and their backgrounds than about the death of a rapper and the search to find her killer.

Initially I was torn between giving this book 3 and 4 stars. But I decided to give it 4 stars because the characters won me over completely. Tennyson Hardwick is one helluva guy with a steamy past, complex family and romantic relationships and he is handsom...more
July
I have to say that I bought the book on a for sale table. Blair Underwood's name caught my eye. I fell in love with him as an actor when he was on the soaps many years ago. Anyways, I bought it put it on my endless to be read book shelves. Well I picked it up and read it and was pleasently surprised. I really liked this book. It had character and substance. I kept coming back until I gobbled it up. I have to say I would buy another Tennyson Harwick story I liked this character.

Tennyson Hardwick...more
Bwandungi Mugarura
Ayi ya ya!

This was my first introduction to Steve Barnes and Tananarive Due. Praise the Lord Jesus in his sweet little manger that I understand how one particular work cannot define all works.

The incredibly handsome, hardbodied, devil may care, pleasure giving (c'mon, which man gives pleasure like that all the time?), turned detective person is a fugitive from Stephanie Meyer's imagination. No. No. No.

The fighting scenes are incredibly tiresome; I kicked him in the groin and then I kneed him in...more
J
(From Jacket)"Casanegra" follows the adventures of Tennyson Hardwick, a gorgeous, sexy actor and former gigolo, living on the fringes of the good life in Hollywood. This story, which chronicles the redemption of a prodigal son, combines the glamour of Hollywood with the seedy hopelessness of the inner city.

In this hot and steamy mystery, Tennyson struggles to hang on to his acting career and redeem his sex-for-pay history, which estranged him from his family-especially his father, a decorated L...more
Andrew
Tennyson Hardwick is a struggling actor, on a time male escort and a man estranged from hisfather, aretired captain in theLAPD.But with the death of a close friend and world famous singer/actor, Tennyson vows to solve her murder whilstnegotiatingthe world of Hollywood film stars, Musicians, the LAPD and dirty cops littlerealisingwhere things will lead.

Casangera is murder mystery and fast paced action adventure where our leading character not only uses all his skills to attempt to solve the murde...more
Natasha
I was a little skeptical at first listening to this book but it picked up not too far in and I ended up liking it. A tiny bit of romance mixed in with this murder mystery. Tennyson was one heck of a dude to put his life in danger, all for the sake of avenging his friend's death. I liked Tennyson aka Ten's character, he came across as a sweet, humble guy with a questionable past that just pretty much was looking to live his life on the straight and narrow these days. It almost seemed like he bit...more
Oyceter
An enjoyable read. Tennyson (Ten) Hardwick is a former-gigolo-turned-actor who gets caught up in the murder investigation of famous rapper and actress Afrodite. I wasn't that sold on the romantic relationships, particularly because Ten's attractiveness kept being emphasized, but I liked Ten's relationship with his father and with Chela, who ended up being my favorite character.

While the book starts out as your standard thing on hip hop and violence and misogyny, it soon deepens to involve police...more
Lawana
I read the second book in the series first, so there ware some things I anticipated, but even having an idea how some things were gonna turn out didn't detract from the enjoyment. Tananarive Dur and Steven Barnes are two of my FAVORITE authors. Imagine what it was like when I realized they were married. I expected a masterpiece with them collaborating, but being familiar with their work, I can see touches that could only have come from Blair Underwood interwoven throughout the entire story.

Bravo...more
Ebony
I generally don't read murder mysteries but I got into this one over the month it took me to read it. I initially thought that any book that took three people to write and that cost $2.50 in the bookstore sale bin couldn't be that good of a book, but I was wrong. The details were vivid. I think it helped that I live in the L.A. area too. I knew some of the spots. I fell in love with the main character and the sex scenes were really well done. They weren't trashy but they were impressively intens...more
Swanbender2001
Tennyson is an actor struggling to hang on to his career and redeem his sex-for-pay history that estranged him from his family---especially his father, a decorated LAPD captain who raised Tennyson to call him "sir." Now, in the wake of his father's sudden stroke, Tennyson has to save himself from taking the fall for a murder. In the process he discovers his hidden talents---the hard way.
This was an okay story but I felt the main character (and actor) was too stuck on himself for me to like him o...more
Tracey Y Smith
Not the best work by Tanarive Due and Steven Barnes, in fact, the text reads is so tame that it reads like nothing either of them has written. Never the less, I enjoyed this book, it was like eating a Big Mac, not cuisine but fast food, very tasty but not nutritious. I did like the concept, kind of an updated take on an Easy Rawlins character - a very sexy struggling actor, former call boy who gets caught up in solving his friend's murder. The mystery was not well set up, not enough sublte clues...more
Kervin
Feb 16, 2010 Kervin rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Great book by Blair, I enjoyed the character Ten Harwick and it was a fast read. Ten is a struggling actor/male escort that has a chance encounter with a former client which dramatically "changes" his life and alters his course during this fast pace adventure. He continues to face unrelenting challenges and mounting pressures both external and inward but yet he preservers and also discovers a new love in the most complex times while trying to stay out of jail and out of the cross-hairs of a kill...more
Villager
I enjoyed this book. I'm born and raised in Los Angeles, so part of my enjoyment is having the book based in a place that holds personal memories for me ... from Palm Springs to Dorsey HS to 'The Jungle'. But, I also enjoyed the characters ... Tennyson, his reporter friend, his father and the 14-year old 'escort'. In the end, the mystery had me in suspense ... I didn't figure it out until Tennyson figured it out. That is a good thing.

I'm looking to read the next story in this series!
Carol

Let me just say that I was given this book by a "friend." It was not my type of book, although I do like murder mysteries. This one was really boring, and lots of the plotline was drawn out unnecessarily. I couldn't relate to any of the characters, and never began to even care about them as I continued reading. Really. I did finish the book, but only because it was within reach of where I was sitting each evening. All of this is to say: I wouldn't recommend this book.
Jlynn
I could not put this book down. My goodness when you read the love scenes... Let's just say I had to get a glass of ice water and almost had to jump in a cold shower! The book was well written and fast paced. It was such a thrill to see the two great science fiction writers of all time, Steven Barnes and Taranarive Due collaborate with one of my favorite actors Blair Underwood. Do yourself a favor.. Get to the bookstore and treat yourselves to the series!!!
Nancy
Tennyson Hardwick (Ten) is a pretty boy that has skeletons in his closet and enemies at his door now has a murder to solve so that his pretty self doesn't go to jail. Mosley creates a mystery that is truly a topic of today. A female rapper is killed and Ten was the last to be with her. As the truth unfolds Ten gets deeper and deeper into the dark side of the recording industry and the past life of the female rapper that he once loved.
markandshantel
They say write what you know. What on earth does Mr Blair "LA Law" Underwood know?
This book is about a male gigolo solving a murder. Huh? It's very steamy and explicit. There are 2 co-writers, so maybe Blair needed help with the big words - but actually this book is very entertaining - in a "oh no you didn't" kinda way.
Did I mention it was explicit?
If he writes another one - I'll read it. God have mercy on me.
Kimberly C
Mind candy by eye candy. But there's nothing wrong with that. A good book should entertain, no? Felt like I was in a movie. I could definitely see Blair Underwood as protagonist Tennyson Hardwick. The hip-hop ouvre is something new for me. Thanks to Tananarive Due for introducing me to this contemporary theme in this book and Joplin's Ghost.
Robin
Highly entertaining and fast-paced. Interesting characters, as well. If Mr. Underwood is responsible for a good portion of the writing, then he's got a great career ahead. The story line is a bit convoluted but the authors quickly sort it, as well as the characters, out. Sets up a series nicely - can't wait to read the next entry.
  • The Living Blood (African Immortals, #2)
  • The Sisterhood of Blackberry Corner
  • The Warmest December
  • When Death Comes Stealing (A Tamara Hayle Mystery)
  • The Ancestors
  • Babylon Sisters
  • Children of the Waters
  • When the Thrill Is Gone
  • Bling
  • One Day I Saw a Black King
  • Nappily Married (Nappily, #3)
  • Gotham Diaries: A Novel
  • Boaz Brown
  • Scenes from a Sistah
Blair Underwood, a Golden Globe--nominated actor, has received several NAACP Image Awards. Steven Barnes is the author of science fiction novels, including The Legacy of Heorot, and has produced such television shows as The Twilight Zone and Stargate. Tananarive Due is the American Book Award-winning author of six novels, including The Black Rose, My Soul to Keep, The Between, The Living Blood, an...more
More about Blair Underwood...
In the Night of the Heat (Tennyson Hardwick, #2) From Cape Town with Love (Tennyson Hardwick, #3) South by Southeast (Tennyson Hardwick, #4) Before I Got Here: The Wondrous Things We Hear When We Listen to the Souls of Our Children The Tennyson Hardwick Collection: Casanegra, In the Night of the Heat, and From Cape Town with Love

“It’s a snail in a shell that needs a little coaxing to swell and stick its head out.” 5 likes