Start by marking “Casanegra (Tennyson Hardwick, #1)” as Want to Read:
Casanegra (Tennyson Hardwick, #1)

Casanegra (Tennyson Hardwick #1)

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  913 Ratings  ·  102 Reviews
Casanegra follows the adventures of Tennyson Hardwick, a gorgeous, sexy actor and former gigolo, living on the fringes of the good life in Hollywood. This story, which chronicles the redemption of a prodigal son, combines the glamour of Hollywood with the seedy hopelessness of the inner city.

Published June 19th 2007 by Atria Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Casanegra, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Casanegra

Cheryl
Oct 01, 2010 Cheryl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
AWESOME BOOK!

Tennyson Hardwick used to be in the sex for pay business, but is not in that anymore. He hooked up with a rapper named Serena who he knew from his past. He was really looking forward to spending more time with her, then she is murdered and he is a suspect. That happens right in the beginning of the book. He is determined to find out who did this.

I could really imagine this book being made into a movie. I see Tennyson as a very hot and sexy man. This book has some steamy sex scenes!
Tiffany
Really Loved this book!! The main character Tennyson (Ten) Hardwick has a past, he's flawed...but underneath all his damage lies a good heart. when a friend he really cares about is murdered he goes out of his way, puts his life on the line to figure out who's behind it!! Blair Underwood did an excellent job, very well written, and fast paced. If you enjoy a good who done it murder mystery then this is a book to pick up and read!!
Nascha
I really enjoyed this book. While it was a mystery plot and there were some very thrilling twists and turns, I felt that it was more about the characters and their backgrounds than about the death of a rapper and the search to find her killer.

Initially I was torn between giving this book 3 and 4 stars. But I decided to give it 4 stars because the characters won me over completely. Tennyson Hardwick is one helluva guy with a steamy past, complex family and romantic relationships and he is handsom
drey
Casanegra is the story of Tennyson "Ten" Hardwick - out-of-work actor, former gigolo, son of a retired cop with a heart problem... One fine day, he's in the hood when he stops for lunch. And his life gets waaaaaaay complicated.

There's murder. Gangs. Gangsta rappers. Crooked cops. And Ten finds himself the main suspect in not one, but two murders. So he does what any self-respecting (or not) dude can do - try to figure out whodunnit. Before he's another lifeless body to add to the count...

This wa
Shawnette
Edge of Your Seat Entertainment!

Mr. Blair Underwood along with his co-authors Barnes and Due have pulled off a thrilling roller coaster ride of the written word. It was like watching a highly engaging movie unfold. The characters were well developed and definitely believable. Despite all of Ten's flaws you couldn't help but fall in love with his character and root for him to get out of all the sticky situations he got caught up in. And the storyline flowed effortlessly. All I can say is KUDOS, M
Jewell
May 27, 2011 Jewell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes murder mysteries.
If you like crime mysteries then this is one to read. When Tennison Hardwick is framed for the murders of a famous rap star turned actress and then a police officer, he sets out to find out who the real killers are. Yes, a typical story line but Blair Underwood, Tannarive Due and her husband Steven Barnes make the typical not so. Set in California, the story is fast-paced and as an addition, makes mention of books, movies, actresses, actors, musicians, etc who were great contributors to African- ...more
Janelle
Umm this book kind of got on my nerves...I felt like it was very long and drawn out. I did enjoy the plot and dialogue it was missing something. I didn't necessarily like all of the references to Tupac, Biggie etc. in that respect it tended to be a bit cliche. I did however like the idea of a black mystery being solved by a black character. That is all I can say...
Kellea
Nov 28, 2009 Kellea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels-for-fun
This was a pretty good first attempt for Blair Underwood. I enjoyed the Hollywood backdrop very much, however, the sex scenes were over the top, some unnecessary. Overall, it was good though, looking forward to reading the next book in the series.
Tammy
Dec 13, 2015 Tammy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
More urban than my taste but not bad writing. The character development was good, the action was primarily physical violence. I plan to read the next in the series mainly because I am interested in where the main character goes next. I experienced this as an audio book. Blair Underwood as the author piqued my interest and the deciding factor for reading it was having Tananarive Due on the author team. It was a good distraction. The worst part...the actor's pronunciation of the word "room" which ...more
Dacia
Feb 17, 2016 Dacia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a good book. It kept my interest from start to finish. I love Tennyson. The Face! I bet you Blair Underwood modeled him after himself. Think about it...good looking black actor...you do the math. At first, I thought April would get on my nerves, but she turned out to be pretty cool. Chela was unfortunate but hopefully Tennyson can help her. I never liked Biggs...his poor mother. Tyra is set for life and she doesn't deserve it. MC Glazer is a punk. I am looking forward to reading the next ...more
Mocha Girl
Casanegra is Blair Underwood's latest novel that focuses on the adventures of a suave, male escort-turned- actor, Tennyson (Ten) Hardwick - yes, that is his name -- fitting for a former Los Angeles gigolo, huh? Ten, motherless at an early age, is also a former police academy drop-out who had a run in with the law during his escorting tenure. He views himself as a disappointment and embarrassment to his highly revered and retired police lieutenant father which not surprisingly fosters a strained ...more
Kimberly Hicks
Jun 23, 2012 Kimberly Hicks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mature Readers
Recommended to Kimberly by: Goodreads
Everytime I checked my 'to read' list, this book constantly popped up and I don't know why I chose to ignore it, but I must say this was a rare find and an exciting one to stumble across.

I absolutely loved this book. It had some of the most captivating love scenes I've read in a while, and the funny thing is, there were about two and a half love scenes in the book and I enjoyed them--and you wanna know why? Because there was a STORY behind it. E. L. James could take a page out of Blair's book. L
July
May 21, 2008 July rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: home-library
I have to say that I bought the book on a for sale table. Blair Underwood's name caught my eye. I fell in love with him as an actor when he was on the soaps many years ago. Anyways, I bought it put it on my endless to be read book shelves. Well I picked it up and read it and was pleasently surprised. I really liked this book. It had character and substance. I kept coming back until I gobbled it up. I have to say I would buy another Tennyson Harwick story I liked this character.

Tennyson Hardwick
Arlene (Urbrightside)
As a man who was certainly being setup to take a murder rap, Tennyson was confident, surprising calm (for the most part), and knowledgeable about what to do and where to go to find the clues that would eventually lead him to the real killer.

As a first book in this series, Casanegra was a good read. The story flowed from beginning to end, and having three people write this book it never got confusing or even hinted in a change of voice. so I'm very pleased with that. I think I'm giving this a 3.
Bwandungi Mugarura
Ayi ya ya!

This was my first introduction to Steve Barnes and Tananarive Due. Praise the Lord Jesus in his sweet little manger that I understand how one particular work cannot define all works.

The incredibly handsome, hardbodied, devil may care, pleasure giving (c'mon, which man gives pleasure like that all the time?), turned detective person is a fugitive from Stephanie Meyer's imagination. No. No. No.

The fighting scenes are incredibly tiresome; I kicked him in the groin and then I kneed him in
J
(From Jacket)"Casanegra" follows the adventures of Tennyson Hardwick, a gorgeous, sexy actor and former gigolo, living on the fringes of the good life in Hollywood. This story, which chronicles the redemption of a prodigal son, combines the glamour of Hollywood with the seedy hopelessness of the inner city.

In this hot and steamy mystery, Tennyson struggles to hang on to his acting career and redeem his sex-for-pay history, which estranged him from his family-especially his father, a decorated L
Andrew
Sep 22, 2013 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, kindle
Tennyson Hardwick is a struggling actor, on a time male escort and a man estranged from hisfather, aretired captain in theLAPD.But with the death of a close friend and world famous singer/actor, Tennyson vows to solve her murder whilstnegotiatingthe world of Hollywood film stars, Musicians, the LAPD and dirty cops littlerealisingwhere things will lead.

Casangera is murder mystery and fast paced action adventure where our leading character not only uses all his skills to attempt to solve the murde
Natasha
I was a little skeptical at first listening to this book but it picked up not too far in and I ended up liking it. A tiny bit of romance mixed in with this murder mystery. Tennyson was one heck of a dude to put his life in danger, all for the sake of avenging his friend's death. I liked Tennyson aka Ten's character, he came across as a sweet, humble guy with a questionable past that just pretty much was looking to live his life on the straight and narrow these days. It almost seemed like he bit ...more
Oyceter
An enjoyable read. Tennyson (Ten) Hardwick is a former-gigolo-turned-actor who gets caught up in the murder investigation of famous rapper and actress Afrodite. I wasn't that sold on the romantic relationships, particularly because Ten's attractiveness kept being emphasized, but I liked Ten's relationship with his father and with Chela, who ended up being my favorite character.

While the book starts out as your standard thing on hip hop and violence and misogyny, it soon deepens to involve police
Lawana
Jul 10, 2009 Lawana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read the second book in the series first, so there ware some things I anticipated, but even having an idea how some things were gonna turn out didn't detract from the enjoyment. Tananarive Dur and Steven Barnes are two of my FAVORITE authors. Imagine what it was like when I realized they were married. I expected a masterpiece with them collaborating, but being familiar with their work, I can see touches that could only have come from Blair Underwood interwoven throughout the entire story.

Bravo
Ebony
I generally don't read murder mysteries but I got into this one over the month it took me to read it. I initially thought that any book that took three people to write and that cost $2.50 in the bookstore sale bin couldn't be that good of a book, but I was wrong. The details were vivid. I think it helped that I live in the L.A. area too. I knew some of the spots. I fell in love with the main character and the sex scenes were really well done. They weren't trashy but they were impressively intens ...more
Swanbender2001
Tennyson is an actor struggling to hang on to his career and redeem his sex-for-pay history that estranged him from his family---especially his father, a decorated LAPD captain who raised Tennyson to call him "sir." Now, in the wake of his father's sudden stroke, Tennyson has to save himself from taking the fall for a murder. In the process he discovers his hidden talents---the hard way.
This was an okay story but I felt the main character (and actor) was too stuck on himself for me to like him o
Tracey Y Smith
Not the best work by Tanarive Due and Steven Barnes, in fact, the text reads is so tame that it reads like nothing either of them has written. Never the less, I enjoyed this book, it was like eating a Big Mac, not cuisine but fast food, very tasty but not nutritious. I did like the concept, kind of an updated take on an Easy Rawlins character - a very sexy struggling actor, former call boy who gets caught up in solving his friend's murder. The mystery was not well set up, not enough sublte clues ...more
Genya
May 26, 2015 Genya rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
been trying to read this one for so many years just can't get into it
Robin Lundy
Nov 19, 2015 Robin Lundy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book all in one day, I was surprised it was good.
Pat Gallagher
I liked other books of his better
Autumn Palik
Not a book for me.
Yvette Danielle
Feb 09, 2014 Yvette Danielle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it!!!!
Kervin
Feb 16, 2010 Kervin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Great book by Blair, I enjoyed the character Ten Harwick and it was a fast read. Ten is a struggling actor/male escort that has a chance encounter with a former client which dramatically "changes" his life and alters his course during this fast pace adventure. He continues to face unrelenting challenges and mounting pressures both external and inward but yet he preservers and also discovers a new love in the most complex times while trying to stay out of jail and out of the cross-hairs of a kill ...more
Villager
Aug 26, 2012 Villager rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. I'm born and raised in Los Angeles, so part of my enjoyment is having the book based in a place that holds personal memories for me ... from Palm Springs to Dorsey HS to 'The Jungle'. But, I also enjoyed the characters ... Tennyson, his reporter friend, his father and the 14-year old 'escort'. In the end, the mystery had me in suspense ... I didn't figure it out until Tennyson figured it out. That is a good thing.

I'm looking to read the next story in this series!
  • Joplin's Ghost
  • When Death Comes Stealing (Tamara Hayle, #1)
  • The Sisterhood of Blackberry Corner
  • Tastes Like Chicken: A Novel
  • Nappily Married (Nappily, #3)
  • The Ancestors
  • Children of the Waters
  • 72 Hour Hold
  • Acting Out
  • Ida B.: A Novel
Blair Underwood, a Golden Globe--nominated actor, has received several NAACP Image Awards. Steven Barnes is the author of science fiction novels, including The Legacy of Heorot, and has produced such television shows as The Twilight Zone and Stargate. Tananarive Due is the American Book Award-winning author of six novels, including The Black Rose, My Soul to Keep, The Between, The Living Blood, an ...more
More about Blair Underwood...

Tennyson Hardwick (4 books)
  • In the Night of the Heat (Tennyson Hardwick, #2)
  • From Cape Town with Love (Tennyson Hardwick, #3)
  • South by Southeast (Tennyson Hardwick, #4)