Start by marking “Because You Loved Me” as Want to Read:
Because You Loved Me

Because You Loved Me

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  866 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Jeanne Dominico’s fiancé found her body on her kitchen floor. More than forty stab wounds and blows to her head with a blunt instrument had cut her life short. What monster had struck in the heart of a peaceful New England town?

Jeanne was a hard-working single mother. Nicole, her fourteen-year-old daughter was on the honor-roll and head over hee
Audio CD, Abridged, 0 pages
Published November 28th 2008 by Brilliance Audio (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Because You Loved Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Because You Loved Me

Ruth Turner

The author states, in his Notes to Readers, that the victim's immediate family wanted nothing to do with this book, so I don't feel too badly about the low rating. This is not because of the crime itself, which was heartbreaking, but because of the way the book is written.

It's repetitive and nauseating!

I understand that the victim was a warm, caring, wonderful person. I don't need to be continually beaten over the head to remind me. I got it the first time.

It was so bad I couldn't even force
I tend to read true crime and be intellectually engaged, but not always emotionally engaged. This one made me both sad and horrified. It's incredible that teens can become involved in the most bizarre things and think (at the time) that they are perfectly reasonable. The death of this woman was heartbreaking and so was what happened to the kids - two young lives completely destroyed. It very much reminded me of the movie Heavenly Creatures where both teens were so caught up in their own relation ...more
Aug 27, 2015 Sammantha rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: True-Crime Reader
Because you loved me was an online love affair, a real-time murder. This was one of the first books I have read of M. William Phelps and I have to say I was very pleased. I will definitely be reading more of his true-crime. This was such a very sad and heartbreaking story. One young girl, Nicole, without her father in her life looking for that love to replace her father's absence and Billy it was. I felt so hurt by what happened to Jeanne. She loved her children so unconditionally and only wante ...more
Lynda Kelly
This is a true crime tale I found on the Kindle about who sounded a lovely lady in New Hampshire called Jeanne Domenico. She was murdered by her daughter's boyfriend with the knowledge and assistance of said daughter, a spoiled little bitch of the highest order..........all because Jeanne wouldn't let them live together. Her daughter had only just turned 16.
It is really sad as Jeanne had herself a lovely fiance, she worked like a dog to ensure her 2 kids wanted for nothing and all because that
Jeanne Dominico was brutally beaten and stabbed to death, her injuries showed she fought with her murderer. She was a single mother of two trying to make a life for her children and protect them the best she could. Billy Sullivan was a troubled young man that Jeanne’s daughter met over the internet, she was head-over-heels in love. Billy was obsessive and controlling, Jeanne worried about Nicole’s sliding schoolwork, she thought that Billy would hurt Nicole, but that is not what happened. The mu ...more
Stella Gonzales
A daughter's betrayal

A daughter's betrayal

Again I was unable to stop reading another of Mr Phelps's true stories. I believe that justice was done. I also have ask why the families of a convicted felons always say he was such a good person. In this case all the warnings sign were there. As stated in the book both families lost love ones.
Apr 08, 2009 ღangღ is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone that likes to read True-Crime Books
I just started this book and am reading half of the first chapter.

Because You Loved Me is a case study of different sorts of love, platonic, parental, romantic, and obsessive. It's easy to predict which type will go wrong. The High Queen of the drama queens, Nicole, falls in a twisted sort of love with macho manipulator Billy, and in a metter of days, she is blind to all the good things in her life. Her mom, her friends, her education, her home - Nicole no longer sees value in any of this, and w
This is my first true crime read. I enjoy documentaries about the same subject matter, so I thought I'd give this a go.

The book starts fairly slow and I think the author spent too many chapters on establishing the good nature of the victim. Once the story got started, it held my interest and the author did a good job of creating a few cliff hangers even when I already knew the outcome of the story.

My only real complaints deal with the author's style of writing. First was his inconsistent use of
I wasn't aware of this case at all before I picked up this book. Even with my not being familiar with any aspect of the case, I still felt this book was too long. Had the author not repeated over and over how obsessed Nicole was with Billy and how in love they thought they were, the book could've easily been a 100 pages shorter. It also threw me off having to see the author overuse quotation marks. Seems like every other word, he felt the need to put quotes around, even if it wasn't dialogue.
♥ Marlene♥
This is a great true crime novel. It is sad. This book is about obsession, love and a Mother's love. The obsession is Nicole's for Billy,a boy she met online and hardly knows anything about. Love For Jeanne. She was loved by her co-workers, her friends and really people whose lives who she had touched. Also by her fiànce. Then Jeanne's love for Nicole. Nicole's obsession with Billy clouded her judgement and made her do something that she will regret for the rest of her life. Billy is the one tha ...more
Nicole Kasinskas met Billy Sullivan online. He was 18, she was 14. They fell in "teenage love" even though they lived hundreds of miles away. They vowed to do anything to be together, and made long trips for short visits, and tried to convince Nicole's mother, Jeanne Dominico, to allow Nicole to move in with Billy. As any mother of a 14 year old would, her response was "absolutely no" You can do what you want when you're 18, but for now, you live her. Driven to desperation, Nicole and Billy plot ...more
Suzie Flohr
Loved this book, it was like the author was talking to me and that's what I call a good book.
1 star

I'm still trying to figure out how I finished this book...

I am a huge true crime junkie. Whether it's books, magazines, newspapers, the interwebz, or the wide variety of tv shows...I'm addicted to them all. I have watched this guy on Snapped and on shows on Discovery ID so I thought why not give one of his books a shot? Well...he needs to stick with tv interviews.

The book revolves around the murder of Jeanne Dominico. Her daughter and her boyfriend Billy are convicted of the crime.
*SPOILERS* Nicole Kasinskas and her lover Billy are underage and live far away from each other but they believe they are soul mates. When Nicole's mother Jeanne decides that the romance has to end Nicole pleads with her to let Billy come stay with them for one week. Jeanne relents. The lovers decide that Mom has to go because she is the only thing standing in the way of their being together. While Nicole reads a magazine in the car Billy enters the house and beats Jeanne with a baseball bat. He ...more
Rebecca McNutt
Disturbing yet well-written, this book is the story of love gone wrong and how the internet-addicted digital age poses a whole new meaning to "stranger danger" for kids and teens. This book is haunting and unforgettable, detailed and honest, and definitely worth reading.
This is one scary story.........frightening that someone so close to someone could so easily take their life. Interesting story, but at times a bit repetitive.
Oh Boy, this is a well-documented true crime story about a teenager who committed a horrendous crime against her own mother, with a little help from her friend, of course. Author Phelps wrote a good read...
Kathy Moore
I like true-crime but this is really a tribute to the mother who was brutally murdered by her daughter and her daughter's boyfriend, and the beautiful person she was. Also an endearing love story told from her fiance's point of view. I only hope to become half the selfless person Jeanne was (the mother). I was so moved by the book, I got on her memorial tribute mentioned at the end of the book hosted by her fiance, wrote him an email and was amazed to get a heart-felt reply back!
Now THIS is creepy. A woman has a 14-year old daughter, honor roll student, etc. And this girl "meets" a guy online and gets obsessed with him and it ends up with them killing the mom...the mom's boyfriend finds her and he is a suspect, but it was the little angel all along. UGH. Sort of a cautionary tale about meeting people online, or trusting your kids or something... actually profoundly disturbing.
This is an interesting, perhaps not engrossing, account of a senseless murder. The author takes a lot of time developing the key characters and setting up the crime--maybe too much time, but then once he starts, he's got to get a book out of it. I do understand his motive in that the victim seemed to be a wonderful person. The perps, including her daughter, are as far opposite as can be.
Really well written, great story and easy to read.
This book was soooo sad. It is scary what a teenager will do for "love" or lust! This mother thought she was protecting her child and in doing so lost her life. So sad!!
Tammy Doyle schoiber
Another crazy tale of obsession and murder by the master...makes you wonder about your own !!
Chicken Little
Those two were not teenagers in love, but monsters. I fervently hope they will never see the light of day again.

RIP, Jeanne.
well written true crime account. Disturbing story. Phelps is a good writer. This is not my favorite of his.
Diane hall
Not as good a read as other true crime novels I've read. Seemed to really slow down near the end.
  • Lethal Marriage: The Unspeakable Crimes of Paul Bernardo and Karla Homolka
  • Cruel Deception
  • Before He Wakes: A True Story of Money, Marriage, Sex and Murder
  • In Broad Daylight
  • Mortal Danger and Other True Cases (Crime Files, #13)
  • The Darkest Night: The Murder of Innocence in a Small Town
  • A Beautiful Child
  • By Their Father's Hand: The True Story of the Wesson Family Massacre
  • Never Enough
  • Invisible Darkness
M. William Phelps lives in Connecticut with his wife and three children.

He is the author of 14 true crime books.
More about M. William Phelps...