Start by marking “Bad Moon Rising” as Want to Read:
Bad Moon Rising

Bad Moon Rising (Pine Deep #3)

4.13  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,529 Ratings  ·  151 Reviews
One of the best supernatural thrillers of recent years. --John Connolly

A new master of terror reigns supreme. And in his most horrifying novel yet, the clash between good and evil explodes in an apocalyptic showdown few will survive. . .

From A Funfest. . .

Each year, the residents of Pine Deep host the Halloween Festival, drawing tourists and celebrities from across the
Published May 1st 2008 by Pinnacle (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Bad Moon Rising, please sign up.

Dirk Grobbelaar

It was an ugly quarter moon, stained yellow-red like bruised flesh, and its sickle tip seemed to slash at the treetops.

So, finally, it has come to this: the closing chapter in Jonathan Maberry’s Pine Deep Horror Trilogy. And it’s been a rollicking (hay)ride indeed. Now, according to the author’s foreword this book can be read as a standalone. I beg to differ. Read it as it was meant to be read – that’s to say, read the following two books first: (1) Ghost Road Blues and (2) Dead Man's Song.

Now,
Jason Parent
Jul 29, 2015 Jason Parent rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Awesome! Simply awesome! And I am not even a big fan of vampires. Or the heroes of this novel. Still awesome, from beginning to end, horror writing at its finest.

So I'll start with what I didn't like, and believe me, these are nit picky nothings that did NOT remotely take away from the read.

1. Mayberry overuses the word, "pirouette".

2. The story and those who lived and died was somewhat predictable (though who would kill who was not).

3. The celebrities seemed thrown in to try a get the book a mo
Jason
Apr 19, 2011 Jason rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2011
5 Stars

This is really a great trilogy that should not be missed by readers of horror and urban fantasy.

This is all a third book of a trilogy should be and more. Action, action, and more bloody action. Halloween comes fast in this novel as The Red Wave decends upon the Town of Pine Deep. We pick up right where Bad Moon Rising leaves off, and quickly all the story threads are pulled together.

Yes, Malcom Crow was my favorite of our protagonists but Maberry has through out this series proven that M
Devonta
Jul 13, 2013 Devonta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I doubt this book would work as a stand-alone, since the backstory is really only glanced upon as the big showdown builds. I think you'd pretty much have to invest in the first two books if you want to appreciate the context behind all the mayhem in the third--and there is a metric ton of mayhem. The whole story has been building to what Griswold calls the "Red Wave" which is supposed to allow him to rise out of the swamp where the Bone Man killed and buried him. To that end, I was kind of surpr
Alondra
Mar 10, 2013 Alondra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Horror/Suspense fans
Recommended to Alondra by: horror aficionados
Shelves: books-i-own
5 Stars

5 Stars for an amazing thrill ride from beginning to end. This series was great story-telling from the first book Ghost Road Blues that introduces us to Pine Deep, to this fantastical ending that is not wrapped up so tidy. No prince charming, no cavalry; just our beaten, rag-tag group of real humans fighting the good fight against a truly impossible foe. I don't think I would have fared so well.

I appreciate this series for being rather realistic about the odds of mere humans against an e
Colleen
Nov 02, 2015 Colleen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, zombies, vampires
An amazing book, a perfect end to a fantastic series. I see this series as a roller coaster--first book: good loops, showed us things to come that look scary as hell; second book: giant slow ascent; third book: all hell breaks looks (or at least a very big Red Wave).

Can I say enough how great Maberry is at action scenes? No. Now when I see vague, who knows what the hell is going on action scenes, that I think authors do intentionally to build suspense, I get annoyed because I know Maberry can d
William M.
Jun 29, 2011 William M. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 AND 1/2 STARS

This is one of the more ambitious horror trilogies in recent memory, along with James Moore's Serenity Falls trilogy, Richard Laymon's Beast House books and Edward Lee's Infernal series. Maberry is a solid writer, no doubt, but I felt here, in the final book, the revelations regarding the mythology and folklore were a bit hard to swallow, even in the fictional world of Pine Deep.

This third book, Bad Moon Rising, was my least favorite of the trilogy, but was still an enjoyable re
Debra
Jul 10, 2011 Debra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One negative: Gosh, there are a LOT of typos in this book, and in the previous books, too. Wonder where the editors heads were when they proofed this series!

Anyway, the grand finale(?) for this trilogy kept me on the edge of my seat. I was really worried about our good guys as the odds for conquering the growing evil were not in their favor. I enjoyed all the mythology brought in by the author; especially the dhampyr being. The author hints that he might revisit Pine Deep sometime in the future
Victoria
Wow. What an exciting and satisfying conclusion! I must say that I really and truly enjoyed this trilogy. I was so impatient to read it! The entire book was fast-paced, thrilling and just a lot of fun to read. I hope that Maberry does return to Pine Deep in the future. He has artfully created a very rich setting that seems to have other stories waiting to be told. I know that I will be keep an eye out for all of his future books - set in Pine Deep or not!
Vicky
Jul 10, 2014 Vicky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this series, I hope he adds another book to it in the future. It is so hard to find GOOD horror, it is either just gore for gore's sake (can we have a story too please) or it is just downright silly. Give this series a try, I think you will like it.
Randolph Carter
David Dalton
Oct 12, 2015 David Dalton rated it it was amazing
A very good horror story. Jonathan has quickly become one of my favorite authors.

All 3 books in this series are 5 stars. Scary.....and darn good. Chuck full of great and creepy characters. All the hype is true for these Pine Deep stories.
Darren Brown
Oct 28, 2010 Darren Brown rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you like a thrilling novel that contains vampires that don't sparkle and don't fall in love with humans and love drinking the blood of humans then this is a book for you. This book is about a town called Pine Deep Pennsylvania were a lot of unpleasant and horrorific things happen.
Craig
Aug 31, 2014 Craig rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bad Moon Rising brings the Pine Deep trilogy to a fine and satisfying conclusion. Many extra-long horror stories fade-out with silliness or fail to pay-off all of the suspense that's been built, but Maberry's tale of ghosts and werewolves and all manner of vampires winds up spectacularly. The musical influence in this volume seems a little less prevalent than in the two earlier ones, and not all of the questions have complete answers, but it's a fine, fun book. One cool thing is that he brought ...more
Cameron
Jan 21, 2012 Cameron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read a novel as fast as I read Bad Moon Rising in over nine years. It, along with its predecessors, has restored my faith that someone out there still remembers what a real horror novel is. It is not just a sterling example of the horror genre, but just amazing fiction in and of itself.

All the parts of the novel add up deliciously. The characters no longer feel as black and white as they did in the prior novels, and almost every protagonist, antagonist, and side character is given at l
Jo Anne B
Jul 07, 2011 Jo Anne B rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The last book in a trilogy that involves the final showdown of good vs.evil that will make you think twice when you hear the blues playing in the background.

Mike Sweeney has a large roll in this book as we learn what he really is and how he was made. You sympathize with this poor 14 yr old boy having to go through so much. He has so much courage and strength to be able to accept who his parents are and what his role is in this war of good and evil.

Val and Crow continue to lose more loved ones t
David Watson
Feb 08, 2012 David Watson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite thriller books is Bad Moon Rising by John Mayberry. Each year in Pine Deep the locals throw a Halloween horror festival but this years festival will be host to a battle between good and evil as a small group of vigilantes with weapons, martial arts skills and a werewolf battle an army of vampires and ghouls and an evil ghost.

I picked up this book after I heard an interview with the author on a podcast. (Podcasting sells books and music and if I ever go bankrupt I’m blaming Hor
El Galan
Jul 25, 2008 El Galan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: To EVERYONE this Book is so good anyone will like it!
Lee Kyle
Oct 03, 2012 Lee Kyle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just finished book 3 in Jonathan Maberry's Pine Deep Trilogy 'Bad Moon Rising' and what a finale it was! When we as readers first picked up book 1 'Ghost Road Blues' it was only the tip of the iceberg as it only truly gets better. Clever storyline that has Halloween getting closer and closer along with Ubel Griswald's Red Wave. When it does arrive it is nothing less then an apocalyptic battle between good and evil i was very impressed and it was nice to read a trilogy through and not be dissapoi ...more
Linda
Apr 17, 2009 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the best of the trilogy. This guy is a good writer - but wouldn't appeal to everyone. You gotta love gory. Any writer who can define his characters so clearly that you know what they may say is good in my book. The dialog and relationships in this book are memorable and made me smile or grimace depending on who was talking.
So, to sum it up, this book has it all. Bad guys who are so freaking bad that you just can't believe it. Good guys who are struggling with their inner bad guys. A to
Terra
Nov 30, 2011 Terra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very good story, although I didn't read the first two books, and found that all the "Catch up" I had to do a little overwhelming at first, it was well worth waiting for.

I really love the "exploration" of several types of vampires, and of course that the church had no effect on them. I love vamp and supernatural stories, and the use of the cross and holy water never made sense to me. I love reading things that are impossible, and yet make you believe that it could really happen, after
Jason
Mar 30, 2009 Jason rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great trilogy comes to an end and I'm going to miss some characters as well as Pine Deep. Besides the heroes in the book I really enjoyed Vic Wingate. He was a great villain. Many people didn't like him but no one suspected him of being completely evil and I really enjoyed his time in the book. At times I thought the story was getting long especially with Mike's transformation and the addition of the two Philly cops but it all came together well in the end. I'm hoping Maberry will give us more ...more
Felts
Nov 10, 2011 Felts rated it liked it
3 1/2 stars overall for the trilogy

Overall this trilogy is a very good read, and I would recommend it to any horror fan. One minor complaint that I have is the fact that it was made into a trilogy. Maberry states that the reason for making it into a trilogy was that it just had too much going on to make it one monster book. But, in my opinion, it would have been better as a larger, single novel.
Sonia
Jan 15, 2011 Sonia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: have, e-book
This final novel in the Pine Deep trilogy brings everything to a head. I felt that if I had not read Ghost Road Blues and Dead Man's Song before this novel, I wouldn't have felt that connected to our heroes: Crow, Val, and Mike. However, I had the fortune of getting to know them in books one and two and loved that this final novel was packed with intense action from start to finish.
Erin
Apr 26, 2009 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book. I really enjoyed it. Complex cast of characters & good plotline, which I think is why Maberry's writing reminds people of Stephen King. The ending was plausible & satisfactorily concluding, but left just enough open strings to allow continuation if desired.

I do wish I had read the first two books firts, but now I guess I get to really put to the test the writing in the other two!
Tammy
Feb 05, 2010 Tammy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my favorite book in the trilogy and I would give it 4 1/2 stars if possible. Fast-paced, lots of action, and the the super-macho depiction of Crow that I disliked so much in the first book was dialed down.

Maberry's writing improved over the span of the trilogy and the story telling is solid. I highly recommend the trilogy and look forward to Maberry's next novel.
Sandra Dickens
Jun 29, 2009 Sandra Dickens rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I accidently read this book first, but it did not diminish my enthusiasm for the series. I immediately went out and bought the first two books as I loved the characters and the final battle between good and evil. It made me hungry to find out the lead story. I was not disappointed and would highly recommend this series of books for horror/suspense lovers! Move over Stephen King.
Andy Haigh
Sep 14, 2011 Andy Haigh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a finale!
I have to say this is the best horror story(as a tilogy) that i have read in along time.
Maberry is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors.
This was an epic tale, with a great location, characters, soundtrack and action.
This has whetted my appetite for horror again! A must for any fans of the genre.
Agree with Debra T about the typos though!
Sandra
Nov 15, 2012 Sandra rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is the third in a series -- the author states in the foreword that it can stand alone, but I found it confusing at first, not knowing the backgrounds of all the main characters. Characters were very two-dimensional, and the "horror" was more lots of blood and gore and not the deep terror that an author such as Stephen King can induce.
Gatorman
Aug 28, 2014 Gatorman rated it liked it
Enjoyable but somewhat disappointing finale to the Pine Deep trilogy. Better than the middle entry but not as good as the first and ultimately didn't deliver the bang I was hoping for from these books. Well written and moved along at a nice pace, though. Just wanted more.
Bookworm Buddies: Bad Moon Rising - March 1, 2013-DONE 36 31 Mar 11, 2013 02:01PM
Awesome! 1 28 Jul 25, 2008 03:05PM
  • Sparrow Rock
  • Darkness on the Edge of Town
  • In Silent Graves
  • Draculas
  • Dweller
  • Crimson
  • Snow
  • Flesh Eaters (Dead World, #3)
  • Wolf Land
  • Vampire Zero (Laura Caxton, #3)
  • The Missing (Keeper, #2)
  • The Frenzy Way (The Frenzy Wolves, #1)
  • The 13th
  • Blood Red
  • Clickers
JONATHAN MABERRY is a New York Times best-selling and multiple Bram Stoker Award-winning horror and thriller author, magazine feature writer, playwright, content creator and writing teacher/lecturer. His books have been sold to more than a dozen countries.

His novels include the Pine Deep Trilogy: GHOST ROAD BLUES (Pinnacle books; winner of the Bram Stoker Award for Best First Novel in 2006), DEAD
More about Jonathan Maberry...

Pine Deep (3 books)
  • Ghost Road Blues (Pine Deep, #1)
  • Dead Man's Song (Pine Deep, #2)