Start by marking “Brain Jack” as Want to Read:
Brain Jack

Brain Jack

3.88  ·  Rating Details ·  3,030 Ratings  ·  387 Reviews
Las Vegas is gone—destroyed in a terrorist attack. Black Hawk helicopters patrol the skies over New York City. And immersive online gaming is the most dangerous street drug around. In this dystopic near-future, technology has leapt forward once again, and neuro-headsets have replaced computer keyboards. Just slip on a headset, and it’s the Internet at the speed of thought. ...more
Published 2009 by Walker Books

Ms. Yingling
Jan 15, 2013 Ms. Yingling rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Ha, ha! I checked this book out of the public library, so the warnings at the front of the book about how hackers can find out everything about me in ten minutes from my purchase of the book and get into my computer are groundless. Well, until now, since I've posted this. And since I spent Christmas morning removing a "Security Sheild" virus from my computer, I'm willing to take this chilling tale to heart!

Sam spends a little too much time on computers, and draws the attention of the Homeland Se
Nathan R
May 19, 2011 Nathan R rated it it was amazing
The future of computers has arrived! The neuro headset allows you to operate computers as fast as you can think! But what happens when you link millions of minds to the most powerful network in the world? Could the human subconcious control itself? Could it create without realizing? Could it destroy?

Sam is about to find out. Sam is just the averrage computer trying to get some free stuff. But when he pulls off the biggest hack in the country and shuts down half of the country, the government tak
Jackson Lamie
Dec 08, 2014 Jackson Lamie rated it really liked it
When I started to read this book, I thought it would involve mental web surfing, running from the law, and a single boy with amazing technology. I was wrong on the first and third predictions. What I found was much better than I thought. The point of the story was clear, and the chapters flowed into each other smoothly. I loved how the author was able to throw in characters and to make them fit perfectly into the situation. I was relieved to find that there wasn’t too much computer code talk goi ...more
Beth
Jan 01, 2011 Beth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Compelling theme but slightly awkward execution. That's how I'd summarize this one. The premise is clever, if a bit overt in the wish-fulfillment department at some points, and a few plot twists are genuinely unexpected. But the writing is too abrupt and the transitions are too choppy (usually when the author incorporates technical explanations), so the story doesn't flow well. The introduction and the epilogue are a little too cutesy. And the main thrust of the plot - going up against a massive ...more
Jan
Jan 18, 2011 Jan rated it liked it
I liked this very fast-paced cyber thriller. It was compulsive readable. As you might expect, it is plot driven high octane action, but it also addresses some important themes related to technology: our dependence upon technology in today’s society; addiction to some aspects of technology (gaming and virtual reality); loss of privacy; and sacrificing independence for the convenience offered by technology. You know, that old “man vs computer” thing.

I puzzled a bit about the ending. Sam essentiall
Leo
Dec 14, 2012 Leo rated it it was amazing
12/13/12. Just click on "View Spoiler"(view spoiler) ...more
Clickety
Perhaps if I hadn't been discussing rape culture before I sat down to read the bulk of this book I would've enjoyed it more; as it is I feel I'm being generous with my stars, because I really didn't enjoy it.

Apparently it isn't just Americans who're susceptible to tokenism. The three female characters get minimal screen time and serve to illustrate how much more competent the male characters are, and don't get me started on how very white the rest of the cast is.

Also - can anybody tell me what
Kate
Sep 18, 2015 Kate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: age-ya, thriller, 2015
Sam Wilson's a hacker, and in an attempt to hack into the premier convention of hackers, he hacks into the White House and lands himself a job. Top secret, although he likes his new hacker buddies. He's got a sweet pad, more money than he knows what to do with, and all he has to do is keep hackers out of the government systems. The easy life comes to an end when the government is hacked, and it seems to be an inside job. Now he doesn't know who to trust... or if he can stop them.

There was a lot
Lolo
May 31, 2016 Lolo rated it really liked it
*4.5 stars*

I picked up this book as a quick, not-really-that-interested read. I didn't think I would like it very much.
For the first part of the book, I was right. It was a little hard to get into, and I couldn't really relate to some of the characters.
But by the time I was halfway through, I started to really enjoy the book. It was confusing, yes, but that's probably only because computers aren't really my thing. It's well written and chock full of suspense, along with great descriptions of how
Magnus
May 15, 2015 Magnus rated it it was amazing
Sam Wilson wanted to become a great hacker. But he has realized that he has to learn more to get better. One day he goes with his best friend Fargas to a event called Neoh@ck which is a convention for hackers. During the convention, Sam overhears a conversation about another event, in the White House, for the best hackers. So when Sam gets back home, he tries to hack into the White House server. Then 10 minutes later FBI agents knock on his front door to arrest him. He gets sent to a Juvenile de ...more
S A R A
Jan 08, 2015 S A R A rated it it was amazing
 photo 63caa202-d503-4933-a473-73c68caa4a17_zpse4d0534c.jpg

Why do I keep reading that this book is for boys between the ages of 12-15? I'm a girl and I'm almost seventeen, and I loved every second of it! Maybe I have an uncommon taste in books for my age, but my point is, this book is very versatile and can interest many people from different age groups!

Brain Jack is a science fiction book written by Brian Falkner, one of my favorite authors. This book talks about computers, hacks, and everything high-tech. In the book as an introduction, the author ta
Janaye
Oct 10, 2011 Janaye rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dystopia, 2011
This was a really original take on an apocalyptic/dystopian novel but I was not all that impressed. There were several times throughout the book that I felt that something was not explained properly and so I wandered around confused because I could not pinpoint exactly where my confusion came from so I could not go back and reread a specific part. I felt that some of the characters were not needed and this was just annoying.

Sam's best friend should have either not been involved or should have b
Karen Ball
Feb 12, 2011 Karen Ball rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011-challenge
On Friday, on his way to school, Sam Wilson brought the United States of America to its knees.
Is that a killer way to start a story or what? Set in the near future, where Las Vegas is a smoking nuclear wasteland thanks to terrorists, and online gaming has become so addictive that people actually die from it, technology is everything. 17-year-old Sam starts out just trying to get some extremely expensive laptops and neuro-headsets from a massive US corporation that can't possible miss the money.
Rebecca
I found Brainjack to be a really interesting read. The beginning of the book had me hooked and I wanted to read it a lot because I really liked it and was really interested in what happened.

I love mysteries and I really wanted to know who was the cyber terrorists etc. Once I found out though I kind of struggled through the rest of the book. It was about three-quarters of the way through but I just found the ending to be quite slow going.

Brainjack was set in the future but we're not given a year
Noorain K
Mar 28, 2013 Noorain K rated it it was amazing
I have currently been reading Brain Jack by Brain Falkner it is the best book ever! The main character is Sam one reason I like him is he always knows what to do. Like the part where the phantom takes over Dodge (he is the leader of an hacking team) then Kiwi comes in and sees Dodge under the phantoms spell and Sam running away. I thought it was smart to run away while Kiwi was looking away. The author describes setting really good one part I know is when Sam is on an airplane to go to New York ...more
Kym Brunner
Apr 22, 2011 Kym Brunner rated it really liked it
Revolves around the concept of neuro-technology (computers plugged directly into your brain) and how it affects people's thoughts and actions. Very cool concept and unique, near-futuristic story with a suspenseful plot.

I would have like to have seen more character development along with the intense thriller aspects. Story moved quickly but I didn't feel particularly linked with anyone, not even the main character. It started out with a lot more internal thought, but as the story progressed, thos
Benjamin Issroff
Dec 14, 2011 Benjamin Issroff rated it it was amazing
Brain Jack by Brian Falkner displays an intriguing plot with brilliant language. The engaged reader will find themselves wanting to carry on in this exciting adventure. Combining realistic characters with a semi-fictional plot, Falkner is able to create something few writers are capable of. However, be careful to avoid being sucked into the vortex of computer hacking that this book creates too much, or you may find yourself in the same position as some characters in the novel.
Josh Newhouse
Dec 28, 2011 Josh Newhouse rated it really liked it
So far very exciting... Only problem is topical tech references, guitar hero, blurays etc. for a future book kind of pulled me out a little.

At end, a tense exciting thriller with 3 minor issues... 1. Topical references as mentioned earlier. 2. Bouts of incomprehensible jargon. 3. A weightless and anticlimactic ending... Good though from beginning to end.
Greg
May 12, 2014 Greg rated it really liked it
I think that this was a very interesting book and well dipected what will become of society in the future. I think that this book is very similar to George Orwell's 1984 because they both invlove an invasion of privacy due to advancments in technology.
Denise
Jan 11, 2011 Denise rated it it was amazing
I did not think I would like this techno-thriller type of book, but I devoured it! There is enough action away from the computers to hold the readers attention and just enough character development to make the book interesting.
Georgy Kuznetsov
Nov 04, 2014 Georgy Kuznetsov rated it it was amazing
Great short read. Perfect for teens that are interested in technology. It's packed with action and mystery. Definitely worth the $20!!
Alexandria Grider
I really liked this book. What i most like is how the author included all this information on computers and how they did it. I may have not understood half of it but i think it is a really good book.
Zack
Sep 13, 2014 Zack rated it really liked it
real good
Richie Partington
Jul 17, 2013 Richie Partington rated it it was amazing
9 July 2010 BRAIN JACK by Brian Falkner, Random House, September 2010, 368p., ISBN: 978-0-375-84366-2; Libr. ISBN: 978-0-375-93924-2

“Last month, the standards editor at The New York Times wrote a memo that shocked -- shocked! -- bloggers everywhere. He asked Times writers to avoid using the word ‘tweet’ (as in, ‘to say something on Twitter’).
“’We don't want to seem Paleolithic,’ he wrote. ‘But we favor established usage and ordinary words over the latest jargon or buzzwords.’
“That the Internet
Ameya
Aug 02, 2013 Ameya rated it really liked it
A disturbing, annihilating vision – exciting in its creativity
Brainjack is a techno-thriller: fast-paced, and with an original hero in Sam Wilson, seventeen and in his own mind, invincible. His deeds are unique for a protagonist (except for Lisbeth Salander) and he races from one success to presumably another when unopposed, he hacks into Telecomerica, a large American company and crashes the USA’s internet for 3 days. All in a day’s work before school has even begun.

He attends a hacker conventi
Jacob Ba
May 16, 2013 Jacob Ba rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brian Falkner's Brain Jack is a near-future science fiction story that explores what could happen to a society reliant upon neuro-technology (through which, in the book, people can operate computers using only their brains, while wearing special headsets). Seventeen-year-old Sam is a talented hacker. So talented that the first sentence of Chapter 1 is: "On Friday, on his way to school, Sam Wilson brought the United States of America to its knees” (1). Personally, I felt like this beginning was h ...more
Max Wiese
Jan 04, 2017 Max Wiese rated it liked it
Meh. As a fluent reader, I have read many books and this book doesn't have that "oompf" that every strong book has. Not to mention, there weren't may physical or mental challenges the main character faced, the author emphasized too much that we was the best in the world.
Sheng
Spoiler Alert!!
(view spoiler)
Ben
Feb 12, 2014 Ben rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Brainjack, by Brian Falkner. A book that tackles many real world issues that affect our daily and insignificant lives, but falls back on the stinted character development, lack of race diversity, and its sexism. As a computer geek, and a a total nerd, I was incredibly excited when I heard about a book that has a premise of a futuristic dystopian land, and is mainly based on virtual technology. The book starts out with Sam Wilson, as he attempts to hack into Telecomercia (a leading power source i ...more
What songs go with Brain Jack? 1 4 Mar 09, 2015 04:20PM
  • Stuck on Earth
  • Black Hole Sun (Hell's Cross, #1)
  • Samurai (Simon St George #2)
  • Payback (Boy Soldier, #2)
  • The Limit
  • The Opposite of Invisible
  • A Crack in the Sky
  • Springboard (Tom Clancy's Net Force, #9)
  • Salt (The Salt Trilogy, #1)
  • Monster Republic (Monster Republic, #1)
  • Shadows in the Twilight
  • Epic (Epic #1)
  • Sidescrollers
  • Tripping
  • Epitaph Road
  • Payback Time
  • The Genius Wars (Genius, #3)
  • How to Survive Middle School

“We are our memories," Dodge said. "That's all we are. That's what makes us the person we are. The sum of all our memories from the day we were born. If you took a person and replaced his set of memories with another set, he'd be a different person. He'd think, act, and feel things differently.” 24 likes
“She said, "You may be able to implant an image, even a taste or a smell, but I don't think you can implant the feelings that went with the experience that created the memory.” 12 likes