Start by marking “The Tomorrow Code” as Want to Read:

3.75  ·  Rating Details ·  2,080 Ratings  ·  284 Reviews
THE END OF THE WORLD started quietly enough for Tane Williams and Rebecca Richards. . . .

Tane and Rebecca aren’t sure what to make of it—a sequence of 1s and 0s, the message looks like nothing more than a random collection of alternating digits. Working to decode it, however, Tane and Rebecca discover that the message contains lottery numbers . . . lottery numbers that win
Published October 28th 2008 by Random House Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Tomorrow Code, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tomorrow Code

GirlwiththeBraids
Jan 10, 2009 GirlwiththeBraids rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Teenagers Tane and Rebecca have been friends since anyone could remember. Rebecca has the highest grades in the class, always looks her rock-star best, and everyone admires her. But sometimes Rebecca feels no one can understand her. Her father’s dead and her mother is wasting away in front of the television. Tane begins to have more-than-a-friend feelings about her, but Rebecca doesn’t notice a thing. One day, Rebecca comes home to a note on her door from the government saying they are taking aw ...more
Rich
Oct 28, 2011 Rich rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a review, so there is spoilers..

Good premise, and alot of action, but goes down hill in second half when plot becomes ridiculous.

The Tomorrow Code is a young adult apocalypse novel about two kids in New Zealand who stumble across information from the future that the world will end soon. Like The Di Vinci code, action and plotting hide several large plot holes. This is a time travel story where two fourteen year-olds get information from the future sent by their future selves. It is never
Gideon Nelson
"The Tomorrow Code" is, overall, an okay book. The sciences behind the entire plot are intriguing. Sadly, everything plummets from there.

The writing itself is merely decent. The narrative is no award-winning masterpiece; it's quite simple and two-demensional. It improved between the dull beginning and action end, but I was unimpressed.

The plot started off stagnant, emotionless, and-let's face it-boring. I was halfway through the book before I was truly interested. The beginning had a weird effec
Allyson O'malley

What would you say if you could talk to yourself as you were six months ago? In Brian Falkner’s The Tomorrow Code, that message brings news of the end of the world. The novel offers a fast paced and exciting story line, with likable characters and a message that we have to take care of our earth. The only problem I had with it is that it was difficult to look past the flaws in the scientific reasoning. Overall, the book was a great read with very few criticisms to point out.
When New Zealand te
Sva
Sep 05, 2011 Sva rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Rowan Gemma
Apr 07, 2017 Rowan Gemma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book beings in the present day. Tane and Rebecca are two teenagers who have very interesting lives. When they start receiving messages from the future, they are able decode it, and solve future problems before they occur.

I liked this book because for many reasons. To start, I liked how action-packed and suspenseful it was overall. Although few, each significant character was developed fairly well. I liked the flow of the book. Each event leads to the next at a solid pace.

I didn't like how
Ben

By: Ben Neadow

When I first checked out “The Tomorrow Code,” I didn’t think much of it. I only checked it out to have a book for class. But as the days went on, I got curious of what the book was about. So one afternoon I decided to pick the book up and started reading it. As I started reading and the pages started turning, I couldn’t help myself. I kept reading and reading and reading until I was content. But for some reason, I read 132 pages in under an hour.

Tane Williams and
Crazyjamie
The Tomorrow Code is one of those books that I discovered by browsing a bookshelf in a shop, read the back of, found the blurb to be quite interesting, and bought there and then. No consideration, no drawn out thought process, just a purchase on instinct.

The blurb in question reveals a book with a promising, if not entirely original premise. Tane Williams and Rebecca Richards are close teenage friends that, through a combination of Tane's creative mind and Rebecca's brilliant intellect, find th
Lisa
The Tomorrow Code by Brian Falkner was such a great book, the author is an absolute genius. It was something wild and different that you haven't seen before. A guaranteed fun read. At first I gave the book 4 stars, but then I thought; "What could the author improve about this book?" and I couldn't name a single thing. So I changed it to 5 stars, for this amazing book.

It is about Rebecca and Tane who are best friends. They have known each other since birth, being family friends. Rebecca is extrem
ʙ ᴇ ᴛ ʜ [ia] ᴄ
May 23, 2014 ʙ ᴇ ᴛ ʜ [ia] ᴄ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Wow. Just wow. This book made me think so much! And that ending! I wish there was a sequel, where they went back, and started the whole thing again, so we can find out what happens in the end!

(view spoiler)

When Fatboy an
Clayton
Oct 18, 2014 Clayton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. The way Brian Falkner writes is excellent. This book has one of the best story lines I have ever read. This book in science fiction, it talks about sending letters to the past and how it would affect the present. Tane and Rebecca are the main characters, they figure out a way to receive messages to the past. Tane makes the initial thought of the possibility of sending messages to the past. Tane and Rebecca live in Auckland, New Zealand. Tane’s family is rich and Rebec ...more
Sebas5
I think this book is really good. I never stop to think if time travel is real, everyone thinks it is science fiction. I think the book has a good plot and even if I really do not like physics that much, it got my attention and now I have a different perspective towards physics. The book is about two best friends, Tane and Rebecca (and Fatboy). They think of an idea when they saw a shooting star. They thought what if you can send back messages to the past. Rebecca thought deeply about the idea ...more
Jim
May 06, 2010 Jim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A kids book? In the book description on Amazon.com this book is targeted to 9-12 year old. Between the concepts, vocabulary, and the way the humor is (and the unnecessary swearing), I'd say teen.

Because this is written in New Zealand, British words and phrase are found instead of US ones (e.g., car park vs parking lot). That, and descriptions & locations, etc. are all good for cultural expansion, or just general interest.

As often happens, when playing with the concept of time, it is arguable
Natalie Ruybal
Sep 01, 2013 Natalie Ruybal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-books
The Tomorrow Code by Brian Falkner is one thrilling sci-fi novel you're not gonna be able to put down!In New Zealand,Tane Williams and Rebecca Richards have been best friends since they can remember. But one day when they stumble across a series of 1s and 0s and begin to decode them, they realize that they are messages being sent to them from the future! Soon they figure out that its a message sent from their future selves that gives them winning lottery numbers. However that's not the only thin ...more
Emma
Jan 19, 2012 Emma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is about a smart science geek named Rebecca and an artsy boy called Tane. They have been best friends since birth, they were born on the same day and have done everything together! But what if somehow, the future you's have send you a message. S.O.S. What do you do then? Obviously, something is very wrong. As they slowly uncover the secret messages, they they also discover the devastating truth. Can they stop the end of the world?

I loved it. I loved getting the clues and discovering the
lafon حمزة نوفل
Aug 11, 2012 lafon حمزة نوفل rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
I have never understood the passion and jealousy characters exhibit. Maybe it's because I've always been pretty ambivalent when it comes to relationships. I've never really felt the need to be with someone else. Or maybe because God damn it, they are just over-reacting and need some help from a psychologist. Your world is dying and you send your brother out when you are the one warning yourself not to?! Makes no sense. Certainly I wouldn't want Tane as a brother.
Now that my irritation with Tane
Ms. Patterson
Jan 19, 2010 Ms. Patterson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
THE TOMORROW CODE was an impulse buy for me. I saw it at the bookstore and it looked intriguing, so I bought it. Only after I got home with it did I look up some of the reviews and was even more intrigued.

Tane and Rebecca begin receiving messages from their future selves that contain warnings about an upcoming disaster of epic proportions. The duo, with the help of Tane's brother, Fatboy, attempt to thwart the disaster, by unscrambling the coded messages and warn the others about impending dange
Shantell
May 01, 2010 Shantell rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: awful-books
The basic idea of sending messages through time was interesting and intriguing, which is why I continued reading even after realizing the main character was an environmental activist (and as such, impossible for me to relate to). However the environmentalist themes grew more and more pronounced as the book progressed culminating with the main character trying to decide whether or not the pestilent human race was worth saving from complete destruction! This book is filled with ridiculous anti-hum ...more
Jacob
May 15, 2014 Jacob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is quite interesting in some of the concepts it presents though i do wonder if the can follow through because of paradoxes in which they create a new future that didn't happen... well what i just said was confusing what i mean is that the future that the messages are sent from can't exist if certain events don't happen and because of the messages these events cease to exist thus destroying the future that was built on these events which in turn makes it so that the message was never sen ...more
Sam Eeles
Apr 11, 2013 Sam Eeles rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved this book - just the right amount of 'terror'. My daughter had been begging for it as it was in the 'restricted' section at school. This concerned me until she explained that some year 7 children at her school complained that they'd read everything in the library, so some books were put away just for them. Thankfully she read it quickly so I could get my hands on it! Have recommended to a lot of parents of boys!
Sally
Dec 02, 2008 Sally rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed so many things about this book. First of all it is a true science fiction for middle school and young adult which is sometimes hard to find. I loved the particle physics and all of the science involved. It was fun to imagine time travel that may be possible. I also enjoyed that it took place in New Zealand. It really took the book to an interesting cultural level.
Lynn
Oct 15, 2008 Lynn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Taut and exciting plot with intriguing clues sent from the future. A sf puzzler with a possible scenario and likable and interesting characters. Two young people receive coded instructions from the future and the survival of the world may depend on the solution. This suspenseful book will be perfect to hand to the Alex Rider readers and the Uglies fans.
Rachel
Jul 17, 2010 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Only two words can describe this book: suspenseful and heart wrenching. Tane and Rebbecca receive Gamma Ray messages from the future, and find out the the human race is in terrible danger. Can Tane, his brother Harley, and Rebbecca save all of humanity before it's too late?
Jeanne
May 03, 2010 Jeanne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This a was a good read. The opening is really well written. Falkner gets a little lost close to the end, character seem to behave out of character. But he finds himself again and wraps it up nicely
Taylor
May 12, 2010 Taylor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A strange piece of apocalypta, but it's great anyway
ramya
Apr 22, 2010 ramya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Terrifying but fascinating, this sci-fic book leaves the reader with a new meaning of life. Falkner writes as he has expercienced every moment of Tane's and rebecca's life.
Tara
Apr 12, 2010 Tara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
With my love of medicien I wa really evveloped into this book. Finished it over night and learnt alot about whiteblood cells and the way a virus mutates!
Jameson
Dec 07, 2010 Jameson rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Scary. Whenever I see fog now, I am terrified.
Sara
May 03, 2009 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Humans are a plague to the earth. Earth's antibodies are coming to get us.

Will there be a sequel?
Ashley
Jun 29, 2008 Ashley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a really good book. The end posed some interesting questions. It is a good read for anyone who is willing to think a little bit.
  • Shadows in the Twilight
  • Winter Door (The Gateway Trilogy, #2)
  • Samurai (Simon St George #2)
  • Voices in the Dark (The Last Descendants, #2)
  • City of Time (The Navigator Trilogy, #2)
  • The Dragon in the Driveway (Dragon Keepers, #2)
  • The Limit
  • Mostly Sunny with a Chance of Storms
  • Jeff Corwin: a Wild Life: The Authorized Biography
  • Sophie's Secret (Sophie, #2)
  • The Basilisk’s Lair (Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist, #2)
  • Monster Republic (Monster Republic, #1)
  • Fiendish Deeds (Joy of Spooking, #1)
  • Gorgeous (Avery Sisters Trilogy, #2)
  • Into the Wildewood (Faire Folk Trilogy #2)
  • The Brimstone Key (Grey Griffins: The Clockwork Chronicles, #1)
  • The Mountain of Adventure (Adventure, #5)
  • A Nest for Celeste: A Story About Art, Inspiration, and the Meaning of Home

“Just because something is beyond the realm of what we already know doesn’t make it impossible” 1 likes
“Over my dead body,” their mother had said. Somehow she had survived.” 0 likes