Start by marking “Buddy Does Seattle” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Buddy Does Seattle

Peter Bagge

Buddy Does Seattle (Buddy Bradley #1-3)

4.23  ·  Rating Details ·  1,077 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
The Harvey Award-winning cartoonist Peter Bagge remains one of the comics' industry's great crossover successes of the past decade, having sold more comics than any underground cartoonist through the 1990s to the present. After editing R. Crumb's Weirdo magazine in the mid-'80s and then creating the Bradley family within the pages his first comic book series, Neat Stuff. B ...more
Hardcover
Published April 1st 2005 by Turtleback Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Buddy Does Seattle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Buddy Does Seattle

Jan Philipzig
Yes, it can be a sobering experience to re-read something that meant a lot to you when you were young. I am happy to report, however, that the first half of my beloved Hate series, originally published in the early 1990's and now available in this very affordable phone-book-style collection, stands the test of time. To me, at least, it remains an all-time classic of American comedy.

Protagonist Buddy Bradley is a member of the so-called Generation X, a generation that has always been overshadowed
David Schaafsma
Mar 18, 2015 David Schaafsma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: alt-comics
I'm a baby boomer, not inclined to focus much on Gen X, but this was funny, about Buddy in Seattle, 90s stuff. Everyone is screwed up, nothing works, everything is messed up, its where the 99% live… or maybe it is what we have called working class or lower middle class America. Very satirical on American society. The American Dream gone south, for a few laughs. Of course now we have had plenty of examples on Adult Swim and other online/tv formats that are send ups of the American family, and sla ...more
Dominick
The Buddy Bradley stories (and related ones) from the first 15 issues of Hate! are collected here. They're often funny, but more due to Bagge's hyper-cartoony style, which at times seems at odds with the grim reality and colossal assholishness of the characters. Nobody to like here, really, though it's well-executed.
Jessica
Nov 13, 2008 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i dont usually read comics, but this book was awesome, mostly because Buddy moved from nj to seattle... about 15 years before I did.
it was pretty crude. i liked it alot!
Becca Becca
Jun 14, 2007 Becca Becca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
This sort of reminded me of the comic version of Reality Bites or Singles. Highly enjoyable.
Jon Shanks
Mar 14, 2017 Jon Shanks rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Buddy Bradley is not a nice guy. He smokes, drinks, cheats is a bit of a snob in some areas (music, books, beers) a lot of a slob in other areas and treats his friends like crap. But in spite of all this, you do empathise with him, as he is an everyman and just because he's not that nice, doesn't mean he's a bad guy. You can see where a lot of his "hate" comes from with the situations he ends up in and the people involved in them and that's where a lot of the humour comes in too along with Peter ...more
The_Mad_Swede
Dec 29, 2016 The_Mad_Swede rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, 2016
Collecting Peter Bagge's Buddy Bradley stories from his comic Hate #1-15, this volume is my introduction into Bagge's comics work, and I have to confess that it was a mixed journey, and one that I was initially not at all sure I would appreciate. Why? you may ask; well, simply put, I cannot say that I like Buddy as a character. Nor do I find his supporting cast particularly likeable either. If they were real people, I would likely shun them like plague. Of course, this neither means that they ar ...more
Jeffrey
Buddy Does Seattle is a fun one for sure. What we have here is a man airing out the shames of his previous life. There is no way someone can lead a life exclusively filled with arguments, casual sex, arguments, beer, arguments, hard liquor, arguments, and forays in to hip jobs like managing a rock band or publishing a magazine. Still, that is all Buddy does for over 300 graphic novel pages. And while there is no denying this is low brow stuff, it is also so funny it is somehow brilliant in its o ...more
Robert
Jul 26, 2011 Robert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I am a generation Xer - I was born in 1978, survived the 80's and came of age during the fag end of Grunge and straight into the jubilant optimism of Britpop. So yeah I wore flannels, looked mopey and had a slacker attitude - however since my generation was exposed to new learning techniques where we could express ourselves artistically, we were creative, no denying that. We were exposed to Muppets, Jim Henson's storyteller, Sesame street thought us basic alphabet. We had Ren and Stimpy, Simpso
Peacegal
3.5 stars -- I was too young during this era to appreciate stuff like this--during the early '90s grunge scene I was too busy trying to dodge bullies and pass math (neither very successfully) to care about what the cool kids in Seattle were doing.

Thankfully, Buddy does Seattle is accessible enough for everyone--it's not overly bogged down by long-dead pop cultural references, and more than anything it reminds me of the underground comix of the late 60s such as R. Crumb. Perhaps that's why I ende
Ian Hrabe
Jun 09, 2011 Ian Hrabe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This might have been what "Reality Bites" would have been like if it bore any semblance of actual real life reality. You know, the kind of pessimistic reality where everyone hates each other. Given how much of a fuck up/asshole Buddy Bradley is, compared to the supporting cast he looks like a saint. But therein lies the humor, and his 100% dysfunctional relationship with Lisa is one of the most trainwrecky depictions of romance I've ever seen in any medium ever, which is no small feat!
Snem
Mar 03, 2016 Snem rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor-satire
I liked how it's certainly a product of it's time and place, but it still feels really timeless and relatable. I enjoyed the cynical and sarcastic humor and all the supporting characters are great. A little crass a little low-brow. While I found this pretty entertaining, I realize this is volume 1 and I'm not sure I would have enjoyed much more for a volume 2. This was good and I recommend this to graphic novel fans and those with a dream of the 90's and a twisted sense of humor.
Wayne
Mar 08, 2009 Wayne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Peter Bagge. I probably became more of a slacker b/c of reading HATE and his other spinoffs. This first anthology of his SEATTLE comics packs a severe wallop to my funny bone. "I scream, you scream, we all scream for heroin". Buddy's mates provide me with a perma-grin to my face...always and forever.
Rob Bockman
Bagge's hyperkinetic style undercuts the sloth and limited worldviews of his characters in the best way; otherwise, it's a drawing-room drama if the drawing room is an unfurnished living room in the UDistrict. Pretty thoroughly tied into its time & place, sometimes to its detriment, "Buddy Does Seattle" has arced all the way from current to nostalgic without losing its immediacy somehow.
Cameron
Sep 30, 2008 Cameron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The only book I needed to read to prepare myself for my twenties. Awkward sex, failed relationships, and pop culture elitism, Buddy Bradley is definitely one of my heroes. I've loaned this out to a friend who didn't get through the first story and because she thought it was dumb. That really hurt my feelings.
Craig Knock
Aug 13, 2008 Craig Knock rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Among the first series of graphic novels I've read. For a slice of grunge-style gen-x growing up and young adulthood, there is nothing more revealing than these books. Brilliantly funny meets brutal realism. Illustrated in unique exaggerated, expressive caricature and written in a simple first person manner.

A perfect afternoon lounge on the sofa read.
Darran Mclaughlin
Good collection of alt comics from Grunge era Seattle. Grimy, bohemian, squalid fun. Politically incorrect and misanthropic. Funnily enough Peter Bagge hated grunge and rock music in general even as he was living in its vortex.
Matt Chic
Sep 16, 2007 Matt Chic rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this collects HATE #1-15 (just the main buddy stories)...

i can't say enough about how great pete bagge's comics are, so i won't say anything. just get this one and BUDDY DOES SEATTLE (hate #16-30). at $15 each, it's probably the best $30 i'll ever spend.
Leslie
Jan 08, 2010 Leslie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Leslie by: Arthur Schlenger
I was never a comics person (although I was a devoted reader of "Mad" and "National Lampoon" as a kid) and I'm sorry I came late to Peter Bagge. I'm just old enough to remember the world he depicts so brillantly.
Eleanor Schmidt
Feb 22, 2016 Eleanor Schmidt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved hanging with Buddy and his family and friends. so many people I knew in college loved Hate. And so many could have been characters. A perfect look into a perfect (grunge) generation. Hail Buddy
Jim Berkin
Jul 23, 2012 Jim Berkin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bagge certainly captures what it felt like to be a young single guy in the '90s in these graphic tales of record store geek Buddy Bradley and his collection of grunge friends & romantic misadventures. Very funny and sometimes painfully true to life.
A.
Mar 30, 2008 A. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Some of the funniest stuff in the world! Good god yes.

I shouldn't be able to relate to Lisa Leavenworth so much. One of my favorite comics characters ever.
John
Aug 03, 2007 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
I can't belive I didn't read these when they first came out, or that my wife has the entire collection.
chris
Feb 15, 2009 chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All of these characters are completely lewd, they are horrible people; but somehow really endearing, and I kinda don't want this book to ever end.
Hamish
Apr 15, 2012 Hamish rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Back in college, my supervisor at the work-study job I had lent me this. It sat on my desk, unread for several months until he asked for it back. I was an asshole. This book is the shit.
Ryan
Jul 17, 2007 Ryan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Hate. This is hilarious. Great for any micro-brew guzzling, record collecting, cigarette huffing sarcastic 20-40 something.
Joe Young
3.5/5
Old-Barbarossa
Jul 16, 2008 Old-Barbarossa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is nostalgia in comic form. Wild chaotic art. Love it.
Summer
Iconic, yes, but it's difficult to keep reading a comic in which every one of the characters is intensely loathesome.
Dane Martin
Jan 25, 2008 Dane Martin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Many laffs. A true "sitcom" type of comic done masterfully and with dignity.
  • Fair Weather
  • Caricature
  • A Complete Lowlife
  • The Playboy
  • The Frank Book
  • Palomar: The Heartbreak Soup Stories
  • The Fart Party, Vol. 2
  • Paul Goes Fishing
  • The Girl from H.O.P.P.E.R.S. (Locas, #2)
  • The Acme Novelty Library #17
  • Popeye, Vol. 1: I Yam What I Yam!
  • The Name of the Game
  • Why Are You Doing This?
  • Why I Hate Saturn
Peter Bagge was born on December 11th, 1957, and raised in Peekskill, New York, about 40 miles north of New York City. While enrolled in the School of Visual Arts in New York City in 1977, Bagge discovered underground comics, and the work of R. Crumb in particular turned what had initially been only a vague interest in cartooning into a passion.

In the early '80s Bagge co-published three issues of
More about Peter Bagge...

Buddy Bradley (7 books)
  • Buddy Bradley, Vol. 1: Hey, Buddy!
  • Hate, Vol. 2: Buddy the Dreamer
  • Buddy Bradley, Vol. 3: Fun With Buddy + Lisa
  • Buddy Bradley, Vol. 4: Buddy Go Home!
  • Buddy Bradley, Vol. 5: Buddy's Got Three Moms
  • Buddy Bradley, Vol. 6: Buddy Bites the Bullet
  • Buddy Buys A Dump

“What's the big-deal about "Rock" music, anyway? What does it have over, say, Polka music? Polka music has integrity - it's music made by down-to-earth, regular human beings, whereas "Rock" music is made by morons for the benefit of idiots!” 0 likes