Start by marking “The Weapon” as Want to Read:
The Weapon

The Weapon (Freehold: Grainne War #2)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  708 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Kenneth Chinran was a disaffected youth who joined the military and was recruited for an elite deep cover unit, shrugging off training and exercises so tough that several of the recruits did not survive. Then he was sent by his star nation to infiltrate a fascistic, militaristic planet-Earth. He lived in deep cover for years, marrying and having a daughter. Then the Earth ...more
Published August 2nd 2005 by Baen Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Weapon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Weapon

Dirk Grobbelaar
I could argue that the best thing about The Weapon is the technical aspect. There is an immense amount of detail regarding weaponry, training and tactics for squad based infantry warfare, as well as infiltration and emergency extraction. However, the thing that stood out for me was how provocative this novel potentially is. Williamson dispenses with political correctness here and really gets into the mind of both protagonist and reader. Just when is murder on a planetary scale acceptable? Is it ...more
Paul
Nov 18, 2008 Paul rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one. OK, maybe some angry 15-year-old.
This is one of the worst books I've ever read. The story (if you could call it that) was slow. The protagonist was childish and unrelatable. The book was completely devoid of almost any human emotion except for anger. It was like the author just got dumped on in high school and took out all his rage in writing this garbage. Ninety percent of the book is the angry, jaded, self-indulgent internal monologue of the protagonist, during which nothing much happens.

Angry 15-year-olds will probably love
Nathaniel
Great science-fiction/military adventure story set in the future, with a plot not unlike The Moon is a Harsh Mistress but less focused on the politics and more on the training, equipping, and fighting of the elite force developed to defend a small nation's right to be left alone. The protagonist is well-crafted, transforming seamlessly from a kid to a warrior to a father.
Bob
If you want to look into the minds eye of a Special Operator... this is the best book (albeit placed in a futuristic setting) ever written. And to think that people who think like this walk amongst us...
Shane
Four and 1/2 stars! Reading 'Freehold' before this isn't mandatory, it will stand on its own; but having read 'Freehold' for the history and background makes this story AMAZING. Non-stop action and a view of the evils of war you are not likely to ever forget.

This is styled as an after action report on the use of one of the deadliest weapons of mass destruction mankind has created. I did catch a couple typos which shows even the big-guys (BAEN) let some slip and the first person narrative felt a
Wes
I was close to giving four stars to this book, but it really settles on 3.5 and its very limited appeal means a four star rating would probably be overselling it.

However, I did really enjoy this whole work, despite its strange pacing and overlong exposition culminating in a satisfying but abridged (I felt) final act. I would say this is slightly better than "Freehold" and the literary talents of the author have certainly improved but the main character is (intentionally) hard to like and withou
Robert
Quite the intriguing book. I knew it was a science fiction military/black ops tale. It detailed operations & tactics and gave a narrative on actions & activities to further the training & experience of an elite military force. Little was made of an off-world or science fiction slant and it felt like any other special forces/black ops account. Three-forths of the way into the book everything changed. Our hero and his team are sent to Earth to infiltrate, reconnoiter & prepare ops ...more
Thomas Taylor
The Weapon is a book about Kenneth Chinran, an operative for the Freehold society. By operative he means black ops special warfare spook.

The beginning of the book starts at Kenneth getting recruited, and the first half stretches out into a detailed description of Ken's training and first experience in the field.

Then Ken gets deployed to his main mission on Earth. Unfortunately this is where the story leaves the rails. The last half the book turns into a meandering rambling essay on libertarian
Andreas
This novel is set in the same universe and time period as “Freehold“. It is the story of Kenneth Chinran, the man who led the attacks on Earth during the Freehold War. It is a long novel divided into three parts. In the first, Ken enlists and is trained as an “Operative”, meaning an elite black ops soldier. The second part deals with a deployment to Mtali, a planet locked in faction warfare. It is here that first learns of the atrocity or war. The third part deals with the training for, and actu ...more
Matt
Not as good has the first freehold novel. Holds it's politics a little too overtly for me. Seems to be a lot of how free market catalisum good, government bad. Some decent military action even if a lot of it has a propaganda feel. Freehold military so much better than everyone else! Overall a little disappointed, didn't really feel for the main character unlike in freehold....
J.A. Dalley
Story:
I liked the story it seemed a lot like Robert Heinlein's Starship Troopers, which is one of my favorite books. However I had a lot of issues with this book.
Blood and Gore:
There is blood and gore in every battle scene. I don't mind it that much, but this wasn't PG-13 gore this was R gore, and I couldn't stomach it.
Swearing:
I love military sci-fi which means there is going to be swearing, who ever heard of a sailor who didn't swear. However, I can't stand it if there is an f-word every other
Bill
Very good military sci-fi. Although a good stand-alone, reading Williamson's Freehold will give you a nice look at the libertarian culture of Freehold.
Freehold, a former Earth colony, knows a showdown with the fascist UN that controls Earth is coming. Deep-cover special operatives are dispatched to Earth to prepare for a no-hold response when the UN attacks. Detailed looks at special op training, Freehold peacekeepers working with the UN, and the guerilla war on Earth.
Al Cormier
What was really wierd was that I also read 'No Easy Day' while in the middle of this. The parallels between fiction and non-fiction were uncanny. Both stories were told in first-person and showed a brash cockiness inherent of those who have nothing to prove and let history tell their story for them.
I thought the story kind of dragged toward the end, but I understand that part had to be told. This is a good tale of the Freehold Saga.
Kristen
I couldn't get through this one. Maybe I was just a little tired of the genre--I had previously read a couple other sci-fi/military novels. I like Williamson's writing a lot. He's sarcastic and funny and keeps the action moving right along. I will try reading this again in a few weeks once I've read some other things that are asking for my attention. :)
Doc
As a fan of military science fiction I found this to be very satisfying. The lead character, as well as the cast of characters generally, has depth, personality, strength and flaws. The scientific and political detail are rich and realistic. I was surprised a number of times, which is a good thing. I'm on to the next book with great anticipation.
Alasdair
This book is in the hard-to-put-down easy-to-take-up-again category - and gives much food for thought. Just as the Gor series is a rabid-feminist-detector par excellence, this book will trigger knee-jerk outrage amongst all the right people. Not for the squeamish, in parts. I *will* be recommending it to friends.
Dale (Aus)
This was okay but preferred the others of his that I have read. I didn't really link with his main character and too much was crammed into one book I think which might have been better over two books. I will keep reading his books though, just like some of his other work more.
Jason
I really enjoyed this book. I think the views of self improvement and dedication by both the main character and his military are ones to be emulated by today's military members. The storyline is very catching as well and one which you will be hard pressed to put down.
Chuck Springer
This book is not really a sequel, but follows a different person, a special operative, during the same timeline as the first book. I found the story to be fascinating and enthralling for a military sci-fi novel.
Bryan457
Kenneth Chinran is a special agent working for the libertarian planet of Freehold. He has a major part to play in destroying the oppressor planet's will to fight.

I enjoyed the training parts of this book immensely.
Jon
I really like this series, even though Freehold is an unrealistic utopia for personal freedom. I'd move there in a second.
Imani
Whoever wrote the blurb on the back of the book clearly never read the book.
John Salzberg
Grim and extreme but an interesting take on total war,
Ace Mcinturff
I enjoyed this bood. Action, science fiction.
Greyweather
Greyweather marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
  • What Distant Deeps (Lt. Leary, #8)
  • The Lotus Eaters
  • One Day on Mars
  • Watch on the Rhine (Posleen War: Sidestories, #1)
  • Empire From the Ashes (Dahak, #1-3)
  • Overthrowing Heaven (Jon & Lobo, #3)
  • Interstellar Patrol II: The Federation of Humanity
  • Starship: Flagship (Starship, #5)
  • The Doublecross Program (Star Risk, #3)

Freehold: Grainne War (4 books)
  • Freehold
  • Contact with Chaos (Freehold, #4)
  • Rogue
Freehold Better to Beg Forgiveness Rogue Do Unto Others Contact with Chaos (Freehold, #4)