The Book of the Shadow

The Book of the Shadow (Samurai Girl #2)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  483 ratings  ·  18 reviews
When I was six months old, I dropped from the sky -- the lone survivor of a deadly Japanese plane crash. The newspapers named me Heaven. I was adopted by a wealthy family in Tokyo, pampered, and protected. For nineteen years, I thought I was lucky.
I'm learning how wrong I was.

THE OLD HEAVEN KOGO DIED WEEKS AGO.

I AM A NEW PERSON -- TRAINING TO STAY ALIVE. THE PEOPLE I...more
Published June 15th 2004 by Simon Pulse (first published June 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Book of the Shadow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book of the Shadow

Mandi Ellsworth
Not as much fun as the first one, because the love interests got all screwed up, but I think I'll keep reading the series. At least long enough to finish the next one.
Merary
Katie
I would give this 2.5 stars if I could give half-star ratings. Although this book introduced some interesting new characters, nothing really happened with them. (view spoiler)...more
Katie
Chelsea
The second in the series, and no better or worse than the first. Asai made an interesting choice by having Hiro (Heaven's trainer, her only real friend, and the object of all her lusty thoughts) begin dating Karen. Especially since Karen begins her time in the books as a likable and normal person.

And Heaven learns to turn herself invisible? Sort of. Ninja voodoo, you know. (Oy.)

I don't know if I'd feel comfortable recommending these books to someone else, because they're pretty blah, but if I ca...more
Brenna
I found this book for 3 dollars at a book store and so I bought it and later found out that I had been tricked into a really good series. Now all i need to do is read all the other books because this one kept me reading late into the night.
That must be one of my weaknesses, reading a book all at once. I often look back and wish I could just slowly enjoy a good read instead of reading it all at once. I guess it's like ice cream, or a really yummy food. You want to eat it all at once but at the s...more
Hilary
There are more than half-a-dozen volumes in this series? Really?

meh.

Spoiled Samurai princess is forced to work for a living. Finds out her father is Japanese mafia. Falls into bad company and "suffers" unrquited "love" for hunky martial arts instructor who is too old for her and already involved in a relationship. Poorly plotted. Flat characters. I was taken in by the cover and bought this book and the next one in the series at Goodwill for $0.25 each.

I am donating both to the local library......more
Vanessa
she is protected by her friends and jake is her introuctor to help her save her friends but her family is the one who is hurting her she must go through many things just to same her life
Amber
This is the second book in the series. Fast paced story that makes for a fast read. Enjoyable.
This one definately left me wanting to read the next one to find out what happens.
David
Quick, fun read in the Samurai Girl series. Little heavy into stereotypes, but I guess that faster than full fledged characterization?
Angie crosby
I enjoyed this book as much as the first one. I wish they had said something abut Konishi's condition. I can't wait to read the next book.
Kat Stark
This series started off promising and enjoyable...and then turned to shit. I wish authors had a clear idea on where/when to stop.
Kelly Edwards
I am really hooked on this series so far! I burned through book one and halfway through book two in one day. Very addictive!
Alyssa White
After finishing this book I kind of dropped off of the series, could not fully hold my interest any more :(
Beckett
Just as poorly written as the first. It's so bad; I am astounded that this was published.
Caroline
Aug 06, 2008 Caroline rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the series
Heaven is finally settling into life in LA, except for the occasional ninja attack...
Karen Brennan
Enjoyed the second book too. Now I'm looking forward to the third book.
Natasha
Natasha marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Denna McCormick
Denna McCormick marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Jessica Farley
Jessica Farley marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Elizabeth Aguilar
Elizabeth Aguilar marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
  • Sacrificed (Ignited Series, #2)
  • Monsoon Summer
  • Sam (Fearless, #2)
  • Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane, Vol. 2
  • Dreamcrusher (Replica, #19)
  • The Secret Treasons
  • The Dark One (Roswell High, #9)
  • Nothing to Lose (Robyn Hunter, #3)
  • The Banshee's Embrace (The Banshee's Embrace Trilogy, #1)
  • 黒雪姫の帰還 / Return of Princess Snow Black (Accel World, #1)
CARRIE ASAI is a pseudonym.
More about Carrie Asai...
The Book of the Sword (Samurai Girl, #1) The Book of the Pearl (Samurai Girl, #3) The Book of the Wind (Samurai Girl, #4) The Book of the Heart (Samurai Girl, #6) The Book of the Flame (Samurai Girl, #5)