Cat Sitter on a Hot Tin Roof (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery #4)

Cat Sitter on a Hot Tin Roof (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery #4)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  647 ratings  ·  61 reviews

Curiosity Killed the Cat Sitter introduced a winning sleuth in Florida pet sitter Dixie Hemingway, and the next books in the series, Duplicity Dogged the Dachshund and Even Cat Sitters Get the Blues, firmly established author Blaize Clement as a new star amongst mystery fans. Now Dixie Hemingway, no relation to you-know-who, is back in this fourth riveting installment.

Whe

Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Published December 29th 2009 by Minotaur Books (first published January 6th 2009)

Ellen
"Cat Sitter on a Hot Tin Roof" by Blaize Clement.

FANTASTIC!!! 5 star review.

This series just keeps getting better and better.

Dixie Hemingway finds a new friend in Laura. Laura seems to be on the run from an abusive husband. She's left Dallas and is trying to remain as incognito as possible. That's what Dixie has been told and that's what Dixie believes...for a while that is.
Then Laura is discovered in her shower stabbed to death and hideously mutilated. That's when the truth about Laura and he...more
Judy
Okay, it's the morning of the Friends of the Library book sale and I know that I have to be there all day and will be interrupted a thousand times by fellow book lovers and I need a book to read. I swung by the library on my way to the sale and checked this book out. It was perfect. A fun read and no problem with the interruptions, I could pick the story right back up. This is the third book in this series that I've read and I have to admit that I'm enjoyed them all. The story is told by a woman...more
Scoats
We own the first four Cat Sitter books and now I have read all of them. This book is from 2005, so I'm sure there are still many more in the series. But we have 100s of other books I haven't read yet, so I'm not looking for more.

While the characters and story were as strong as ever, this one seemed a bit rushed and could have benefited from a good bit of tightening. How many times do we have to read that Dixie came home, took a shower, took a nap naked, woke up and put on cargo shorts, a t-shir...more
Kevin
This was really bad. The only reason I kept reading it was because I was on vacation with the person who gave it to me. She asked how it was and I told it wasn’t very good; she said, I didn’t think it would be. I wanted to say—Then why did you give it to me! Lesson—don’t give someone a book if you don’t think it’s any good. She’s a bad, derivative writer. I’m shocked Sue Grafton hasn’t sued her for plagiarism. A basic problem is the main character’s profession. She’s a pet sitter, which means sh...more
Heidi
Carol
I've enjoyed all the books in this series, but this one dragged a little in the middle for me. I like the characters, but I wish there was more development of the relationship between Dixie and Guidry.
Kristin Spadafore
Wish this book was good so I would be interested in reading more of this author, but no. I liked the concept: pet sitter detective novel. Maybe there is better of this type by a another author...
Kat
Robin
I thing I love about this cozy mystery series is that for once, it actually makes some sense that the main character Dixie keeps finding dead bodies. Usually with cozies, you have to suspend reality a little bit to believe that one civilian would just happen to get involved in more than one or two murder cases. But with Dixie, it actually makes some sense. Being a pet sitter means she knows many people around town and that she daily circulates different communities. Her schedule also requires he...more
Knight
Aug 11, 2013 Knight rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: pet and mystery lovers
Set in April. I still love the cat sitter theme. But the foreboding is getting tiresome. In Victorian literature this is known as the “Had I but known” style (HIBK: this is when the protagonist addresses the readers and says such things as “Had I but known, dear reader, that this event would result in....”). Example: p. 12 (end of chapter 1): “There was absolutely no way I could have known that my chance meeting with Laura Halston would one day haunt me,...”

I like the main characters and the way...more
Harvee
Enjoyed the book a lot. Besides a good mystery plot, awesome Florida setting in the keys off Sarasota, I learned some new things. Words such as "ailurophile" or fear of cats; "piqueurist" or a personality disorder that makes people delight in causing terror; the full meaning of "narcissist" or someone who is deceitful, totally self-involved, controlling, and also persuasive.

I also got to know the difference between a "service" dog and a "therapy" dog and a "seizure-alert" dog versus a "seizure-...more
CindyLulu
I happen upon the New Mystery releases in the library. The cover title caught my eye and I decided to give it a try. I found that Blaize Clement is wonderful in her character development; love of animals; scenic descriptions; however, I find her mystery plots lacking in depth and suspense. Why tell us that a certain plot character will no longer be around? Why tell the reader that little did Dixie know it that this would be the last time she sees her alive? It takes away from the suspense (none...more
Gramy
This book is about a woman named Dixie Hemingway, who is an experienced pet sitter that is very devoted to the pets she agrees to take care of. She has been struggling to come to grips with the loss of her husband and daughter four years before. She can now talk about them without breaking down into tears. She meets a young woman named Laura, who she befriends and is disappointed to discover she wasn't who she said she was after, only she was brutally murdered. Dixie questions everyone surroundi...more
Cathy
Never read one of these before but found it an easy read but a good read! Loved the cats and dogs that feature throughout the novel they have some great personalities!
 Gigi Ann
This was a cozy mystery, about a pet sitter, who always seems to arrive at the scene of the crime before anyone else. It was a fun book to read if you like cozy mysteries. I couldn't believe I figured out who done it, but it is always fun to try to figure it out even if I am usually wrong.

I read one of her other books "Even Cat Sitters Get The Blues" and enjoyed it. So I will probably read the next one in the series, even though I read these first two books out of order, it doesn't really matte...more
Megan Kelly
What a delightful read. This is book four in the series featuring Dixie Hemingway (no relation, lol), a former deputy who now pet sits on her island home near Sarasota FL. Dixie's a great character with flaws and problems. In the beginning of this story we see her vulnerability when she meets a woman with a troubled life story and befriends her, realizing how few friends she has. She has a great relationship with her brother and his partner and is dipping her toe back in the dating pool.
Now I'll...more
Eileen
Yes I read another cozy mystery.....I am a fan of cozy mysteries and mysteries in general. This was the first that I have read by this author. The protagonist, a pet sitter, finds herself in the middle of a murder mystery after a woman she had recently befriended is found dead. Since she is pet sitting nearby she manages to be very involved. There was more backstory and subplots (mostly romance) than there was mystery or investigation. I prefer more mystery and investigation.
Patty
#4 Dixie Hemingway
Dixie thinks she has found a new friend, a woman who Dixie seems to click with. But then the woman is killed and Dixie finds out that much of what this woman told her was lies. Along with the murder, Dixie is focused on one of her clients. A service dog is distraught when her person is hospitalized and for Dixie it stirs old memories of her daughter’s death. Along with all of this Dixie is still tempted by 2 men and can’t send clear signals to either one.
Susan
It is enjoyable to read this series and see the development of this character.
Michelle
I enjoy the Cat Sitter series (I've read several of them). This was a little different than the others in that the victim was not in one of the pet sitter's client's house. There are some sad parts (other than the murder) and you may not want to read it if you've lost a child. But there are several mysteries involving the victim other than the murder so it keeps your interest. Fairly quick read.
Christina Jones
OK, I upped this one by one star because I love the addition of the story line about the service dog and the boy with seizures. Having worked with special needs children for many years, this one touched my heart and I could relate to the anguish of the parents as they had to make hard decisions about their child. Also, I felt there was actually better character development with this cast.
Kj
Loved it! I like the approach of a pet sitter who solves mysteries b/c it is so different. She is strong & yet not tough. She is relatable in that she has had her issues and yet not overly complaining. I liked heating about service dogs and found it fascinating, able to hold my attention and I will continue to read the series. Keep writing!!!
Kristin
Though many of its supporting characters are of the four-legged variety, Cat Sitter on a Hot Tin Roof is more than just a fluffy pet-lover mystery—in part because of its well-developed and especially likable main (human) character.

Read the full review at http://www.nightsandweekends.com/arti...
R.L.B. Hartmann
Love the cover, like series mysteries, and am glad I found this volume as it's a nice introduction to Dixie and her exploits. Siesta Key was right next door to where I found my other half in a bookstore, so the setting struck a nice chord as well. I'll be keeping an eye out for others.
Brenda
I have enjoyed all the books in this series (this is the 4th?) but liked this one better than the previous one. The author continues to develop Dixie Hemingway's character. I would recommend reading this series in order although that is not necessary to enjoy the mysteries.
Paula Hebert
just a fun, light mystery with a pet sitter as protagonist . good story line, very readable, with pets and their quirks put in. just enough to make a pet lover smile, without getting in the way of the mystery. a good weekend read.
Breanna
Im in love with these books. I love Dixie's witt and her passion for her job. I enjoy hearing about the pets she watches. The only thing I dont like is that these books make me hungry! She is always describing delishous food :)
Earthwatchaddict
Pet mysteries tend to slide into the too cute arena for me but I really enjoyed this one. I had picked it up at a used book sale. It is the middle of the series so I will have to start over with the first one.
Carrie
Gwen Mayo
Clement digs deeper into Dixie’s personality in this book, and it’s worth reading to see the changes in her and the men in her life. The plot is well developed and the characters keep me coming back to her books.
  • Lead a Horse to Murder (Reigning Cats & Dogs Mystery, #3)
  • A Novel Way to Die (Black Cat Bookshop Mystery, #2)
  • The Cat, the Wife and the Weapon (A Cats in Trouble Mystery, #4)
  • File M for Murder (Cat in the Stacks, #3)
  • Death of a Neighborhood Witch (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #11)
  • Death in Four Courses (Key West Food Critic Mystery, #2)
  • Death in Show (Dog Walker Mysteries, #3)
  • The Chocolate Mouse Trap (A Chocoholic Mystery #5)
  • Scandal in Skibbereen (County Cork, #2)
  • The Big Kitty (Sunny & Shadow Mystery, #1)
  • Sentenced to Death (A Booktown Mystery, #5)
My passion is people. I think people are absolutely magnificent. Not the power-hungry heads of governments or churches or corporations who justify all kinds of horror if it suits their goals, but the rest of us. In spite of the awful things some human beings do in order to control other human beings, most people are peacefully going about their own business, and I applaud that. Families are the ba...more
More about Blaize Clement...
Curiosity Killed the Cat Sitter (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery #1) Duplicity Dogged the Dachshund (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery #2) Even Cat Sitters Get the Blues (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery #3) Raining Cat Sitters and Dogs (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery #5) Cat Sitter Among the Pigeons (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery, #6)

“My pet-sitting day ends around sunset, and it's very satisfying to know that I've made several living beings happy that day. That I left their food bowls sparkling clean and fresh water in their water bowls. That I brushed them so their coats shined, and played with them until all our hearts were beating faster. That I kissed them goodbye and left them with their tails wagging or flipping or at least raised in a happy kind of way. That's a heck of a lot more than any president, pope, prime minister, or potentate can say, and I wouldn't switch places with any of them.” 4 likes
“I pulled the dress out of the bag and held it in front of me. Ella sat up straighter and squinted her eyes, while Michael and Paco made the noises men make when a woman says, “What do you think?” Fathers probably teach those noises to their sons when they’re young—“Stand up when you’re introduced to a lady, use your napkin instead of your sleeve, and make admiring noises when a woman shows you anything, no matter what it is, and asks you what you think about it. Never, never, never say you have no opinion.” 3 likes