Start by marking “Living Presence” as Want to Read:
Living Presence

Living Presence

Sufism is a centuries-old spiritual psychology. Drawing on the words of the great Sufi poet Rumi, as well as traditional material and personal experience, this book integrates the wisdom of Sufism with the needs of contemporary life. LIVING PRESENCE shows how we can bring spirituality and psychology into a balanced system that honors and awakens the soul.
Published June 1st 1992 by TarcherPerigee

To ask other readers questions about Living Presence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Living Presence

Alex Bigney
May 31, 2008 Alex Bigney rated it it was amazing
i read this book 10+ years ago and have reread it many times since--underlined, made marginal notes, re-underlined, added notes. this book has been a real catalyst in my life. it is difficult to write about without doing injustice to the author. helminski writes about being, awareness, mindfulness in such a simple and pure way. just thinking about it makes me want to take it out today and begin reading it over again. i think i will.
Katrina
Dec 27, 2010 Katrina rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: folks interested in spirituality without dogma, Unitarian Universalists, progressive Muslims
Overall, I enjoyed the book, although it didn't give me the full introduction to Sufi Islam that I was hoping for. It left me with more questions than answers. Helminski does include one chapter at the end that describes a little bit of the history of Sufism, and differentiates between two groups of Sufis:

"On the one hand, there are those who would say that no true Sufism can exist without the appreciation and practice of the principles of Islam. On the other, some groups more or less ignore the
Winifred
Aug 14, 2012 Winifred rated it it was amazing
This was the first book The Presence Group of St. Stephen's EC, Houston read back when we began in 2004 and 2005. It is a small book, but very, very dense in the sense that there are many layers of meaning to absorb. Believe it or not we read it three times in succession, simply because we wanted to and in a way needed to. The discussions on the book spiraled as we re-read it and discussed it again.
Over the years our group has read other books on the theme of 'living in the presence of God' and
Sue
May 09, 2011 Sue rated it liked it
Shelves: spiritual
The Living Presence, by Kabir Edmund Helminski,is a novel about spiritual psychology(Sufism)leading to presence in life.It integrates the wisdom of Sufism with the needs of everyday life.Living Presence offers wisdom that is both universal and practical.When we bring spirituality and psychology together, it can awaken the soul.
Kabir shares his experiences and knowledge with some sources of traditional wisdom.
This is a very enlightening novel, and makes you reflect on your life.
Karin
Jul 14, 2009 Karin rated it it was amazing
I carry this with me nearly constantly these days. No matter how much I get out of it, there is always more the next time I open the pages.
Gala Balaguer
Jun 13, 2017 Gala Balaguer rated it really liked it
The content of the book is more about universal truths than it is about who-said-what. It's an inspiring read for any religious background.
Cindy
Jul 03, 2008 Cindy rated it it was amazing
This book can help anyone learn how to soak up those precious moments that come and quickly go each day. It helps you take an ordinary day, and turn it into something magical just by beginning to appreciate those simple things around you that God gave us all.
Fusun Dulger charles
Grande obra para la gente de hablar Esapanol que quieres descubrir a Rumi o que aman a Rumi. Una traduccion excellente.
Tony G.
Nov 11, 2011 Tony G. is currently reading it
Immersing myself in another book on Sufism, this time by a modern American master, Kabir Edmund Helminski. We shall see what lies in store for an irreligious sort like myself.
Fusun Dulger charles
Feb 21, 2014 Fusun Dulger charles rated it it was amazing
The first book on the Journey to becoming a Mevlevi, a Dervish or simply a good Human Being.
Hanna
Hanna rated it did not like it
Aug 02, 2012
Michael Dobbie
Michael Dobbie rated it liked it
Sep 07, 2014
Érine Nacey
Érine Nacey rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2014
Adam
Adam rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2015
Malcolm
Malcolm rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2012
Faisal
Faisal rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2016
Chris Laurens
Chris Laurens rated it it was amazing
Nov 07, 2012
Tom
Tom rated it liked it
Sep 24, 2016
Susan
Susan rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2015
Sakhi
Sakhi rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2014
Matt Beam
Matt Beam rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2016
Dee
Dee rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2014
Maleeha Yousuf
Maleeha Yousuf rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2016
Robert
Robert rated it it was amazing
May 05, 2014
Paula
Paula rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2013
Carlyn
Carlyn rated it liked it
May 10, 2013
Alison Pelegrin
Alison Pelegrin rated it really liked it
Nov 12, 2015
Sat Feed
Sat Feed rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2012
Hosam
Hosam rated it it was amazing
Oct 07, 2014
Eva Cristo
Eva Cristo rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2015