Start by marking “Splatter-Punks: The Definitive Anthology” as Want to Read:
Splatter-Punks: The Definitive Anthology

Splatter-Punks: The Definitive Anthology

Driven and Reckless, the young writers who lead the splatterpunk movement have one rule: "There are no limits". Editor Paul Sammon--himself a talented writer and moviemaker--has assembled the first and only book to emcompass this dynamic literary movement. Features the works of Edward Bryant, Craig Spector, Rex Miller, Clive Barker and more.
Published November 1st 1990 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Splatter-Punks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Splatter-Punks

Brad
Sep 06, 2008 Brad rated it it was amazing
This particular term for a wave of horror writers may have passed, but these stories continue to kick major ass. I've re-read this one a few times and it really makes you think about what could freak you out. Another plus is that I defy you not to get through this book and not want to write something. Something primal. It might not turn out great, but what a catharsis for whatever is ailing you.
Aaron
Jul 14, 2009 Aaron rated it really liked it
Preface: Been hunting this thing down for a year or two, finally caved when I stumbled onto a copy in great condition for surprisingly cheap. As per usual I'll keep this on my nightstand for those nights where a bad dream or too sounds like fun...

Thoughts so far: First story is pretty goddamn heavy. I've read plenty of Joe R. Lansdale before this (Bad Chili, the Dead in the West comics, etc), and this is probably the meanest, most remorseless of anything of his I've yet encountered. I've read th
Nick
Paul M. Sammon has collected some of the most extreme horror available on the market and compiled it into this gem of an anthology. This book is not for everyone. The subject matter is well beyond societal norms and should not be read by those who find taboo material offensive. If am describing you, read something else. Those willing to tow the line of decency with me, read on...[return][return]Splatterpunks is comprised of 17 short-stories and an essay by the author on the splatterpunk genre as ...more
Tracy Hansen
Mar 04, 2011 Tracy Hansen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
***NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART***

That being said...I first read this when I was a teenager. My manager gave it to me to read since we are big horror fans. Well now, ten years later, I'm married to him and the book is on our bookshelf, constantly being removed to be reread.

I'm personally a big fan of short story collections because I don't have the time to read a lot of longer books. This book is the reason I love the film "The Midnight Meat Train". It's short story by Clive Barker is in here and
Baal Of
Nov 25, 2015 Baal Of rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, horror
Excellent collection of horror stories that run towards the extreme in content, but that doesn't necessarily mean gore. It was interesting how almost all of the authors wanted to make it clear that they are not splatterpunks. Sammon discusses the distinction between the label as applied to specific stories vs. as applied to authors, and also makes the point that it is not a movement. It seems that this term has fallen out of favor, and now the same kind of approach is just called extreme horror. ...more
J K
Aug 16, 2015 J K rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating collection, a little slice and dice and plenty to get horrified about. The importance of visceral horror should continue to be analysed, considering what crops up even today on TV and film (arent we a little blase now? You Saw fans...), which makes it all the more surprising that these words have the power to shock. Comes with some excellent essays on the subject, too. Hugely insightful, stories that push boundaries, take a look if you've the stomach for it, and even if not, you migh ...more
Amanda
Jun 29, 2014 Amanda rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this anthology! It was an awesome way to get acquainted to more authors in the splatterpunk genre. As it is sometimes hard to describe to others, I found a quote by Peter Straub on p. 282 to sum it up quite nicely:

"As long as the writing is okay, I enjoy it. Part of the splatterpunk's intent is to deliberately violate the reader, the be deliberately offensive. To outrage. This has always been the underlying point of horror, and it's one of splatterpunk's greatest strengths."
Erin
Jul 17, 2010 Erin rated it it was ok
Shelves: short-stories
I liked this more than I thought I might, and I never felt like throwing down the book in disgust (which I feared might happen). Definitely some interesting stories here, but I could have done without Sammon's looooooong article on his thoughts about the definition of Splatterpunk, descriptions of stories (in which he gives away the endings), his list of who is/isn't Splatterpunk (though most writers he chose deny the label, and much of what he said he had already included in the author bios) an ...more
Dana
Jul 06, 2008 Dana rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
A collection of short stories that I love. Some of these are so gross they are hard to get through. Others are so gross and over the top they made me laugh out loud. Some were just plain scary. A treat, with a treatise on the theory of splatterpunk and what it means to be one (or just appreciate the genre) at the end of the century.
Brett
Apr 14, 2008 Brett rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Any & all that like Horror, Thriller, Bizarro, & of course, Splatterpunk.
Shelves: have-read, anthology
While I enjoyed this anthology immensely, most authors in it are not known for writing Splatterpunk stories. Which makes this quite the interesting experiment and all the more enjoyable to see how writers new to the genre write about it.

The follow-up anthology 'Splatterpunks II' id quite similar in author selection and equally good, if not better, in story selection.
Patrick
Jan 19, 2008 Patrick rated it it was amazing
Shelves: summer-1999-2000
Hardcore horror stories from various up-and-coming (in 1990) authors. My favorite was "Red" by Richard Christian Matheson, who has a great collection out called "Scars (And Other Distinguishing Marks).
Marcus Neumann
Jan 04, 2017 Marcus Neumann rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Naja ok, ich hab das Büchlein immer im Rucksack bei mir gehabt, damit ich was zum Schmökern hab, wenn ich nicht mein aktuelles Buch dabei hab. Halt so, dass man immer ma schnell so ne Kurzgeschichte lessen kann. Blut, Leichen, Zombies, Monster, Irre, Splatterpunk halt. Für so zwischendurch ganz kurzweilig, aber mein Genre wird das nicht. Es gibt auch noch einen 2. Teil Splatterpunk II, den werd ich wohl aus dem selben Grund in meine Tasche packen. Wenn Bedarf ist, hab ich wenigstens was da.
Ach j
JJ
Mar 14, 2015 JJ rated it really liked it
Splatterpunks: Extreme Horror, a 1990 anthology edited by Paul M Sammon, is filled with some potent writing. Like any collection of stories, this anthology was uneven; I suppose that will always be the case as the tastes of a reader will cause them to like some stories more than others. I can't think of a single anthology I've ever read wherein I've enjoyed every story equally. But while the stories in Splatterpunks weren't always to my liking, I've got to admit that all of them were strong: eac ...more
Andrea
Mar 11, 2008 Andrea rated it liked it
Recommends it for: horror fans
Recommended to Andrea by: Uncle Jeff
**Not for the squeamish, easily offended, easily disturbed, or easily frightened.**

I read this one in my early twenties and I'll never forget the opening story, "Night They Missed the Horror Show". Extreme is the word. There is no line these stories won't cross, so read at your own risk.

Hey, I was young. Don't judge.
Zombaby Cera
Jun 25, 2008 Zombaby Cera rated it really liked it
I read this back in high school (not intended for high schoolers, btw.)
I remember that these authors unmercifully attacked my senses with imagery of horrotic-esque gore in unflinching detail! A great read for any gruesome horror lover!
Cristi An
Niente da fare. Guai se provo ancora a leggere antologie di racconti.
Assolutamente non li Amo e non son capace di leggerli.
Anche in questo caso oltre il primo, del grande Lansdale, non son riuscito ad andare. Ultimo tentativo; fallito.
Nick
Mar 03, 2010 Nick rated it really liked it
Human-Monster stories... vile... I literally had to stop reading to avoid gagging on the bus a couple times... good stuff. Typical short story book though, some good, some bad.
Brett Jason
Jun 26, 2013 Brett Jason rated it liked it
High School was fun
Lara Ng
Sep 01, 2013 Lara Ng rated it liked it
Completely disturbing......having said that sometimes you need a book to kick you in the a*s!!!
Maria
Mar 28, 2014 Maria rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
A few very effective stories. I skipped most everything the editor wrote.
Augie
Oct 01, 2008 Augie rated it really liked it
THE NIGHT THEY MISSED THE HORROR SHOW. a
wanda ybarra
wanda ybarra rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2016
whizzy T
whizzy T rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2012
Suzi
Suzi rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2012
Judith Hannon
Judith Hannon rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2013
Pam Phillips
Pam Phillips rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2014
Sharell
Sharell rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2012
Douglas Albright
Douglas Albright rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2012
Nathaniel Hensley
Nathaniel Hensley rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2012
  • Razored Saddles
  • Silver Scream
  • Borderlands 1
  • Cutting Edge
  • Hotter Blood: More Tales of Erotic Horror (Hot Blood, #2)
  • Finishing Touches
  • Midnight Graffiti
  • Horror Stories
  • Hitler Victorious: Eleven Stories of the German Victory in World War II
  • Curse of the Full Moon: A Werewolf Anthology
Paul M. Sammon has written for The Los Angeles Times, The American Cinematographer, Cahiers Du Cinema and Cinifantastique. His fiction has appeared in many collections and he is editor of the best selling American Splatterpunks series. As a film maker Paul M. Sammon has produced, edited and directed dozens of documentaries on films such as Platoon, Dune and Robocop. He is the author of Future Noir ...more
More about Paul M. Sammon...