Start by marking “Splatter-Punks: The Definitive Anthology” as Want to Read:
Splatter-Punks: The Definitive Anthology

Splatter-Punks: The Definitive Anthology

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  413 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Driven and Reckless, the young writers who lead the splatterpunk movement have one rule: "There are no limits". Editor Paul Sammon--himself a talented writer and moviemaker--has assembled the first and only book to emcompass this dynamic literary movement. Features the works of Edward Bryant, Craig Spector, Rex Miller, Clive Barker and more.
Published November 1st 1990 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Splatter-Punks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Splatter-Punks

Baby Teeth by Dan RabartsFresh Fear by William CookRead the End First by Suzanne RobbHorror for Good by Mark ScioneauxDead Harvest by Mark Parker
Best Horror Anthologies
43rd out of 318 books — 575 voters
The Shining by Stephen KingIt by Stephen King'Salem's Lot by Stephen KingThe Stand by Stephen KingDracula by Bram Stoker
THE BEST HORROR NOVELS LIST
244th out of 262 books — 227 voters

More lists with this book...

Brad
This particular term for a wave of horror writers may have passed, but these stories continue to kick major ass. I've re-read this one a few times and it really makes you think about what could freak you out. Another plus is that I defy you not to get through this book and not want to write something. Something primal. It might not turn out great, but what a catharsis for whatever is ailing you.
Aaron
Preface: Been hunting this thing down for a year or two, finally caved when I stumbled onto a copy in great condition for surprisingly cheap. As per usual I'll keep this on my nightstand for those nights where a bad dream or too sounds like fun...

Thoughts so far: First story is pretty goddamn heavy. I've read plenty of Joe R. Lansdale before this (Bad Chili, the Dead in the West comics, etc), and this is probably the meanest, most remorseless of anything of his I've yet encountered. I've read th
Nick
Paul M. Sammon has collected some of the most extreme horror available on the market and compiled it into this gem of an anthology. This book is not for everyone. The subject matter is well beyond societal norms and should not be read by those who find taboo material offensive. If am describing you, read something else. Those willing to tow the line of decency with me, read on...[return][return]Splatterpunks is comprised of 17 short-stories and an essay by the author on the splatterpunk genre as ...more
Tracy Hansen
***NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART***

That being said...I first read this when I was a teenager. My manager gave it to me to read since we are big horror fans. Well now, ten years later, I'm married to him and the book is on our bookshelf, constantly being removed to be reread.

I'm personally a big fan of short story collections because I don't have the time to read a lot of longer books. This book is the reason I love the film "The Midnight Meat Train". It's short story by Clive Barker is in here and
Amanda
I absolutely loved this anthology! It was an awesome way to get acquainted to more authors in the splatterpunk genre. As it is sometimes hard to describe to others, I found a quote by Peter Straub on p. 282 to sum it up quite nicely:

"As long as the writing is okay, I enjoy it. Part of the splatterpunk's intent is to deliberately violate the reader, the be deliberately offensive. To outrage. This has always been the underlying point of horror, and it's one of splatterpunk's greatest strengths."
Erin
I liked this more than I thought I might, and I never felt like throwing down the book in disgust (which I feared might happen). Definitely some interesting stories here, but I could have done without Sammon's looooooong article on his thoughts about the definition of Splatterpunk, descriptions of stories (in which he gives away the endings), his list of who is/isn't Splatterpunk (though most writers he chose deny the label, and much of what he said he had already included in the author bios) an ...more
Brett
Dec 31, 2010 Brett rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Any & all that like Horror, Thriller, Bizarro, & of course, Splatterpunk.
Shelves: anthology, have-read
While I enjoyed this anthology immensely, most authors in it are not known for writing Splatterpunk stories. Which makes this quite the interesting experiment and all the more enjoyable to see how writers new to the genre write about it.

The follow-up anthology 'Splatterpunks II' id quite similar in author selection and equally good, if not better, in story selection.
Dana
Jul 06, 2008 Dana rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: horror
A collection of short stories that I love. Some of these are so gross they are hard to get through. Others are so gross and over the top they made me laugh out loud. Some were just plain scary. A treat, with a treatise on the theory of splatterpunk and what it means to be one (or just appreciate the genre) at the end of the century.
Andrea
Mar 11, 2008 Andrea rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: horror fans
Recommended to Andrea by: Uncle Jeff
**Not for the squeamish, easily offended, easily disturbed, or easily frightened.**

I read this one in my early twenties and I'll never forget the opening story, "Night They Missed the Horror Show". Extreme is the word. There is no line these stories won't cross, so read at your own risk.

Hey, I was young. Don't judge.
Zombaby Cera
I read this back in high school (not intended for high schoolers, btw.)
I remember that these authors unmercifully attacked my senses with imagery of horrotic-esque gore in unflinching detail! A great read for any gruesome horror lover!
Patrick
Hardcore horror stories from various up-and-coming (in 1990) authors. My favorite was "Red" by Richard Christian Matheson, who has a great collection out called "Scars (And Other Distinguishing Marks).
Nick
Human-Monster stories... vile... I literally had to stop reading to avoid gagging on the bus a couple times... good stuff. Typical short story book though, some good, some bad.
Lara Ng
Completely disturbing......having said that sometimes you need a book to kick you in the a*s!!!
Maria
A few very effective stories. I skipped most everything the editor wrote.
Augie
THE NIGHT THEY MISSED THE HORROR SHOW. a
Brett Jason
High School was fun
Carol Miller
Carol Miller marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Thaddeus Rice
Thaddeus Rice marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Joshua Wayne
Joshua Wayne marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Abigail
Abigail marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Tracy
Tracy marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
  • Borderlands 1
  • Bumper Crop
  • Book of the Dead 2: Still Dead
  • Hotter Blood: More Tales of Erotic Horror (Hot Blood, #2)
  • Finishing Touches
  • I Shudder at Your Touch
  • Horror Stories
  • The New Lovecraft Circle
  • The Horror in the Museum & Other Revisions
  • The Nightmare Factory
  • Nameless Cults: The Complete Cthulhu Mythos Fiction of Robert E. Howard
  • As the Worm Turns
  • The Taint and Other Novellas (Cthulhu Collection)
  • Midnight Graffiti
  • The Resurrectionist
  • Curse of the Full Moon: A Werewolf Anthology
  • The Ultimate Dracula: New Stories by Some of the World's Leading Authors
Paul M. Sammon has written for The Los Angeles Times, The American Cinematographer, Cahiers Du Cinema and Cinifantastique. His fiction has appeared in many collections and he is editor of the best selling American Splatterpunks series. As a film maker Paul M. Sammon has produced, edited and directed dozens of documentaries on films such as Platoon, Dune and Robocop. He is the author of Future Noir ...more
More about Paul M. Sammon...
Future Noir: The Making of Blade Runner Splatterpunks II: Over the Edge Conan the Phenomenon: The Legacy of Robert E. Howard's Fantasy Icon The King is Dead Ridley Scott: The Making of His Movies