Cooking and Screaming: Finding My Own Recipe for Recovery

Cooking and Screaming: Finding My Own Recipe for Recovery

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  123 ratings  ·  33 reviews

An inspiring, recipe-filled memoir about loss, recovery, and finding oneself through food and cooking.

"I rose from my wheelchair slowly, using the arms of the seat to steady myself; I managed to lift my weighty limbs and limp the three steps to the counter. Stirring left-handed, I did not want to leave the warmth of the kitchen. I felt good. And for a moment I forgot ab...more
Published February 10th 2009 by Gallery Books

Susan
inspiring read from a woman who had to reinvent herself, just as she was finishing college and thought she knew who she was. She had her ups and downs but the book doesnt come across as pitying or whiny at all.
Melissa
This book did draw you in, and the beginning of the book where the author becomes disabled is the most interesting part of the read. As someone who hasn't followed the author or her food blog I was just reading it as a book. For a memoir (of roughly 6-8 years of the authors life) it was actually quite a bit self indulgent and maudlin for the last half of the book. I liked the authors descriptions of food, but she lost the point of the book which started out as a person dealing with a disability...more
Maya
For a memoir, it was an excellent cookbook.

I don't mean that badly, actually. Kane's story is compelling in that she emerges as a very self-possessed person in the face of what to anyone else might have been a psychologically devastating event: the stoke-like experience of an ateriovenous malformation in the brain.

I find it telling, however, that she pitched the story of her recovery after failing to sell a cookbook. I found all the recipes in the book more appealing than those found in the aver...more
Keri
This was a very interesting memoir. The author had a stroke right before her college graduation, and the memoir documents the next few years of her life as she tries to figure out how to live with her new disability as well as dealing with the question we all deal with right after college - what do I do next? The book also included recipes that were important to her throughout her recovery and stories to go with each. They all sounded delicious and I'm planning to try a couple of them before I h...more
TJ
A memoir with a strong cooking theme throughout (as the awful wordplay in the title tells you)... Kane suffered partial paralysis at a very young age, and had to rethink all of her life plans. I liked that she didn't try and turn it into a self-help book, it's a very honest account of what she was experiencing, including her cynicism about people's intentions and her worries about how she was viewed her in social settings. The last couple of chapters are somewhat anti-climactic, but I suppose th...more
Jeannette
At the age of 21 Adrienne suffers a stroke just before graduating from college and uses her love of food and cooking to gain confidence, independence and start a life anew. I loved reading about her new-found joy in food and her descriptions of a fresh apricot or how she came to cater her first food job. Her strengths lie in her food and I love that each chapter begins with a recipe relating to the story. However this would have been a more more meaty memoir if Adrienne would have gone into dept...more
Kuen
I was rather conflicted to give this book either a 3 or a 4 Star review. But I guess to sum it up, I would probably give it a 4 star as a memoir, and a book about food writing a 3. That being said, this book was still a good and easy read filled with little gem of moments, like plain simple dishes that pique certain taste sensation that brings you back to that particular moment back in time and place when preparing and sharing of food was a quotidian comfort.
Kristin
An interesting book about a younger woman who experiences a type of stroke and her world changes. Food and cooking intensifies her satisfaction in life and helps her physical and emotional therapy. My main disappointment with this book is waiting for the meltdown, or "screaming" part of the title. Never happened. Admirably, she stayed positive through most of the book. However, if the title suggests there are some raw, emotional times, they were not there.
Bfleeman
Just before her graduation from UC Berkeley, Adrienne Kane suffered a massive stroke, causing partial paralysis and leading to a long road to rehabilitation. Kane recounts how her close-knit family, dedicated boyfriend/husband and love of food inspire her ongoing recovery and self-discovery as a caterer, recipe developer and food writer. Each of the 20 chapters begins with a recipe, followed by a story about its inspiration. A compelling story and quick read.
Cathy
a dancer loses a good deal of mobility from suffering a stroke in her early 20s, just as she's finishing up college. recovering from losing control of one side of her body, and ashamed/embarrassed about her disability, she regains her confidence in life by cooking for friends/family and writing a cookbook. love the recipes included (and integrated into) each chapter - simple steps, easy-to-find ingredients, moving and memorable back story.
Sandi
I seen to be on a roll of cooking stories lately.This book tells of a young girl who has a stroke during her last wekks of college. It follows her physical rehabilitation and her finding her direction in life through her love of cooking. The recipes at the beginning of each chapter relate to the chapter and look interasting to cook.
VillaPark Public Library
We really were inspired by the author's way of viewing life after a traumatic medical event that changed everything for her. Kudos as well to her boyfriend, later husband for sticking with her and treating her as she wanted to be seen, not as a disabled woman. There are lots of life lessons to be taken away from this book.
Maegan
A cleverly written memoir about one cook's experience with finding her place after suffering an AVM at a young age. I was inspired with Kane's strength and humor and riveted to her story. I have also had a chance to try several of the recipes included in her book and they are wonderful!
Pam
While I read this book a long while ago, today it reminds me of Gabby Giffords. This story of Adrienne Kane's recovery from a stroke is poignant, but tells an important story about the process of recovery. It provides hope and advice on how to handle such medical crises.
Barbara
Light hearted book dealing the tough subject of an AVM stroke.
Katie R.
I finished this in about a day; I really got into Adrienne's method of story-telling interspersed with recipes. Some of them are definitely ones I'm going to copy before I return the book to the library!
claire
I loved this book. Not only did I identify with the author, it also made me think a lot about the experience that Karen Kampwirth went through (a professor at Knox, for those of you who don't know her).
Lyndsie
This is another one that I started with gusto but made myself finish. It wasn't bad, or boring, really...but I lost steam with this one. I guess I'd recommend this one to serious foodies.
Michael Barr
Excellent book I had something similar happen to me. I woke up one morning stiff as a board. Couldnt get out of bed the pain was so bad. It turned out I had Gout. A very painful disease.
Claire
Adrienne is recovering from a stroke that occurred when she was in her very early twenties. This frank telling about a life built after a debilitating incident is very encouraging.
Sue
Non-fiction. A memoir. She goes to college in Calif. Has a kind of stroke. Can't use right hand and limps. Discovers cooking. Goes into catering and writes cookbooks.
Stephanie
Some good recipes. Story kind of lags after the first few chapters. She doesn't keep you really interested in her life after the initial recovery period.
Skigirl
Good, but occasionally over the top on obsessing over her 'disability' rather than embracing her project/cooking/talents. And she IS talented!
SaraK
Adrienne always loved to cook, but she suffered a stroke at the age of 22. Her memoir describes how she used cooking in her recovery. I loved it.
Heather Jenkins
Well, after reading the first 100 pages I realized that I had already read this book! Yep, I need to keep better track of what I have read!
Diane Marsh
This is the author's real struggle with overcoming her disability by using her talent for cooking. I thought it was very inspiring.
Amanda
THe stories were inspirational and interesting and the recipes looked delicious. I just wish the two had correlated a little more.
Ruth
I almost stopped reading this early on, and then she had a stroke. After that it was compelling.
Randine
Good recipes included in this book about the authors recovery from brain "blowout".
Lu
Feb 22, 2010 Lu marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food, illness, memoir
memoir; loved food; 20's suffered stroke; paralyzed until she got back in the kitchen
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
United States of Pie: Regional Favorites from East to West and North to South United States of Bread: Our Nation's Homebaking Heritage: from Sandwich Loaves to Sourdough, Quickbreads to Sweet Rolls