Start by marking “If the Buddha Got Stuck: A Handbook for Change on a Spiritual Path” as Want to Read:
If the Buddha Got Stuck: A Handbook for Change on a Spiritual Path

If the Buddha Got Stuck: A Handbook for Change on a Spiritual Path

4.12  ·  Rating Details  ·  529 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
Perennial favorites, Charlotte Kasl's If the Buddha Dated and If the Buddha Married have inspired readers with their empowering blend of spiritual and psychological insights. Her latest, If the Buddha Got Stuck, is a wise yet lighthearted book that will speak to anyone who's ever experienced being stuck in life and wanted to break free. With her signature clarity, wisdom, ...more
Published January 4th 2005 by Penguin Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about If the Buddha Got Stuck, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If the Buddha Got Stuck

Anita Zinn
Oct 13, 2012 Anita Zinn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read 6-2012
Please read this one! Quotes: "Our moods, our perspective, and emotional status are directly related to the chemistry in the brain, which is generally affected by exercise, restorative sleep, and healthy eating."

"A peaceful body helps us focus, concentrate, and bring a meditative mindset to what ever we are doing."
Kathleen
Normally, I LOATHE self-help books. They only seem to help the writer be able to free whatever is troubling them by writing through it and helps their bank account when people buy it. This one (which I got from the library) seems to be a bit different. More of a spiritual approach to life's path and not "here's how I got better."

That's what I said when I started. It was an interesting read but I guess not memorable because I returned it without really finishing it. I guess I dislike people who
Amanda
Mar 24, 2009 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wouldn't call myself stuck in a rut but I would describe my life as a bit chaotic. I have been thinking "is there more to this life deal that I should be doing?" even while moving forward towards some goals. I just didn't want to take the chaos with me.

This book is excellent! The reader is walked through how to recognize that they are stuck and then through the steps to get unstuck. I really appreciated the information and have been trying to put a lot of it into practice. Baby steps.

One piece
Ellie
I wanted this too be more helpful. I was hooked by the very beginning where it gives an example of a person who isn't excited by things any more (this is a type of stuck) and I was thinking I could be more excited about the simple things in life so I wanted to know particularly about that aspect. But there was no link between the initial examples of stuck and they ways those examples would approach each of the steps ... so I found I was just sort of floating while I read this and had trouble fig ...more
Karen
Feb 02, 2010 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book for the same reasons that I liked "if the Buddha Married." It's written in a clear and succinct style that lends itself to reading a chapter or two every couple of days. It's a good reference work too, when you're feeling stuck in your journey.
Angela
Feb 21, 2009 Angela rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Lovely, straightforward writing about buddhist ideas brought to a white middle class level. It was more self help-y than I liked with lots "you shoulds," so I abandoned it half way through. For what its worth.
LemontreeLime
This really was an excellent book, full of thoughtful observations. Its not really so much about the spiritual path persay, but about trying to live life itself. I was impressed. (and felt better too!)
Anne
Sep 02, 2007 Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: yes
Another amazing book! It gives great insight and ideas for really moving your life forward and creating space to make things happen.
Morgan
Mar 30, 2015 Morgan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My husband - a moderately spiritual agnostic (or "humanist") - recommended this book to me after he quit his desk job to pursue a PhD in music, his life's passion. I - a culturally Jewish atheist - recommended this book to my father after I quit my desk job to pursue a freelance career, opening up more time and opportunities for relaxation and the pursuit of happiness.

If you are struggling with anxiety and/or depression (or even plain old ennui or malaise) and don't quite know where you are goi
Kelly
Jan 04, 2011 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed Charlotte Kasl's outlook on how our thoughts are the only thing that holds us back.
Ebony
Jul 30, 2012 Ebony rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a self help book. Sometimes the tone is a bit too "spiritual" for me but so many of the principles are really good, that I can get past some of the new age terminology. I have also found a new appreciation for budhism through it but this is definitely a modern perspective with more leanings toward Taoism (which I realized after reading some other books)than it acknowledges, in my opinion.

I started reading it after a bad break up and it took me about a year to get through it. I found that
Diane Scholten
I liked this book so much that I wrote the author. All of Charlotte Davis Kasl's books are engaging. Spiritual and emotionally adept, but also practical. This one particularly spoke to me as it seems I get in my own way too often.
Devika Koppikar
Jul 11, 2015 Devika Koppikar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book and like Charlotte Kasl's books in general (If Buddha Dated. In this book, Kasl encourages you to take inventory of your current life situation and make changes where you can. One doesn't passively wait for change, but takes pro-active steps to make things happen and get unstuck.

After reading this book in 2006, I was encouraged to quit my fulltime job and start my consulting business. Unfortunately, the business did not go in the direction I'd hoped and I'm wiped out financiall
Shikha
Feb 16, 2015 Shikha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A friend gave lent me this book over the summer - per her suggestion, I've been reading it in the mornings, before I head off to work. It replaced my many failed meditation attempts, and helped me re-center myself before going out into the world. While no one can accuse me of being afraid of seeking out change - change seems to be more my norm than staying in one place - the idea of feeling stuck deeply resonated with me - and I found many of Kasl's perspectives thought-provoking (and sometimes ...more
Ashley
Jun 12, 2014 Ashley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help, inspiring
Wonderful book with the goal of helping readers like myself get unstuck in life thru the help of Buddhist teachings. I enjoyed it so much I ordered another of Charlotte Kasl's books and am starting that soon!
Stephanie Whaley
you will become enlightened. you will become aware and thankful for everything 'that is.'
Jessica
Jul 26, 2015 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't actually finish this book, but it still helped me. Realized I'm floundering, not stuck, and that I need to keep on keeping on.
Mindee Garrett
Jul 17, 2014 Mindee Garrett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book did not present itself as a "self-help" book. Insightful and eye-opening. I liked it.
Dorothy Rivers
Mar 06, 2015 Dorothy Rivers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic little gem that helps with being stuck and suggests steps to move in a different direction.
Cornerofmadness
Dec 28, 2008 Cornerofmadness rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This is one of the “if the Buddha” series and there’s really little to say about it. Naturally, it’s a self-help book based on Buddhism. I found it to be helpful without being flaky. The point of this one is to help us get unstuck. I’m sure everyone has felt stuck at some point with their job or relationship or where they live. This has some helpful tips on overcoming that. If you like this kind of book or are feeling stuck, look it up.
Teresa Cairns
Feb 21, 2012 Teresa Cairns rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Much like Rilke's Hours and my Sufi handbook, I go to this little tome again and again to remind myself how far I've come to get unstuck. Kasl uses personal anecdotes, hers and others, to illustrate actions. She isn't condescending - ever. Notice where your're stuck. Show up. Pay attention. Live in reality. Connect with others, connect with life. Move from thought to action. Let go.
Stephanie
Dec 05, 2013 Stephanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What else can I say about Kasl's lovely and essential books that quietly and tenderly suggest gentle ways to ground, soothe the soul and practice mindfulness that targets balance and simplicity..Im a huge fan of all Kasl's books and have recommended them to clients when working as a therapist....Highly recommended for all fans of mindfulness and sound mental health.
Kelly
Jul 07, 2013 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great advice for getting out of your own way. I love the author's personal tale of getting stuck while writing a book about getting unstuck.

I loved the part devoted to cutting yourself some slack when you fall down along the path of getting unstuck.

The logical part of my brain would have preferred more step by step instructions.

Anna
May 02, 2010 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book that I will keep on hand and re-read sections almost daily. It is really a reminder of how easy it is to get 'stuck' and how you are the only person who can do anything to change that. The author writes in an easy to read style but really gives important advice. I am going to get the other books in this series as well.
Nisha
Enjoyable content in a similar spirit to Radical Acceptance, but I found it a bit trite and long-winded in places. I listened to this in audiobook format and I didn't care for the reader much so that probably had something to do with it. Decent, but there are more useful, succinct titles along the same vein.
Cara
Aug 29, 2013 Cara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is completely meh. There are good parts, helpful parts. There's also quite a bit of BS (reiki healing, dowsing, and unabashed orientalism), but mostly it's just more meh. The author quotes so much from other books, I thought I might as well put this book down and read those instead.
Stephanie
Jan 11, 2009 Stephanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who have a hard time with change, and people on the judgemental side. But really, anyone!!!
I really liked this book. It really helped to explain some of the aspects of Buddhism in a much simpler and easier to follow in this day of age. It's amazing how well she describes how childhood traumas can continue to haunt us into our adult years, and ways to put an end to it!

Leanna Kerr
taught me that i'm not stuck in anything. i can will myself out of any situation i don't wish to be in. take good and bad experiences as a learning opportunities. don't dwell in the past because you can't move forward if your stuck in one position.
Jess
Feb 24, 2011 Jess rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book had some great advice and it explained things in a way which was easy to understand. Some of it (the last few parts) were kind of hokey, but I agree with the overall themes. I would definitely recommend this!
Michelle Goshorn
Oct 15, 2008 Michelle Goshorn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Trying to get unstuck isn't as easy as it looks. I like the style of writing. It is similar to Pema Chrodon's approach. Her points are a little weak at times but she asks the good questions to get you thinking and refocused.
  • The Magic Of Awareness
  • The Power of an Open Question: A Buddhist Approach to Abiding in Uncertainty
  • The 22 Non-Negotiable Laws of Wellness: Take Your Health into Your Own Hands to Feel, Think, and Live Better Than You Ev
  • Zen and the Art of Making a Living: A Practical Guide to Creative Career Design
  • The Healer's Manual: A Beginner's Guide to Energy Therapies
  • The Leadership Challenge Workbook
  • The Servant Leader: How to Build a Creative Team, Develop Great Morale, and Improve Bottom-Line Performance
  • The Anatomy of a Calling: A Road Map for Awakening to Your Life's Purpose
  • The Ten Things to Do When Your Life Falls Apart: An Emotional and Spiritual Handbook
  • The Pocket Thich Nhat Hanh
  • A Flash of Lightning in the Dark of Night: A Guide to the Bodhisattva's Way of Life
  • The Art of Forgiveness, Lovingkindness, and Peace
  • Find Your Focus Zone: An Effective New Plan to Defeat Distraction and Overload
  • Make Miracles in Forty Days: Turning What You Have into What You Want
  • Learning to Lead: A Workbook on Becoming a Leader
  • Transitions: Prayers and Declarations for a Changing Life
  • Boundaries and Relationships: Knowing, Protecting and Enjoying the Self
  • Meditations
Charlotte Sophia Kasl, PhD, is a U.S. psychologist and author.

She pioneered the 16-Steps for Discovery and Empowerment as an alternative to the Twelve-step program for recovery from addiction, compulsion, or other behavioral problems.

She wrote several books based on some aspects of Sufi, Quaker, and Buddhist spiritual beliefs and traditions.

More about Charlotte Kasl...