The Saga of Eric the Viking

The Saga of Eric the Viking

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  188 ratings  ·  22 reviews
'This is one tale of a Viking warrior who lived hundreds and hundreds of years ago. His name is Erik.' And Erik is no ordinary Viking. With his trusty band of men he sets sail in search of the land where the sun goes at night. In fact, he finds much more! The Sea Dragon, the Old Man of the Sea, Dogfighters and giants combine to make his voyage a great saga of thrilling adv...more
Published June 1st 1988 by Puffin (first published 1983)

Tzu-mainn Chen
One of the favored books from my childhood, remembered and passed down to my daughter.

+ VIKINGS!
+ no one dies, i reassured my daughter. except for the chapter with the dog-warriors, turns out that one or two of the unnamed crew were butchered on the beach. somehow she survived that trauma
+ short episodic chapters that also form one AWESOME overarching story
+ magic swords!
+ dragons!
+ a narwhal!
+ a chess match against death!
+ good morals subtly expressed
+ awesome pictures (get the edition with col...more
Rebecca
*sets sat-nav for the edge of the world*
Mathieu
Un conte allégorique qui reprend des classiques de la saga scandinave, mais également du récit de voyages merveilleux comme on peut en croiser dans la littérature occidentale du XIIIe siècle ou dans les contes des mille et une nuits.

D'un abord facile, ce conte est clairement construit comme une histoire pour enfant, sans être pour autant infantile. Au programme : monstres marins, géants, animaux, plantes et roches qui parlent, énigmes, trahisons, magie... J'en passe !

Au final, une lecture rapid...more
Tom Ireland
During all the library hubbub over the past months I discovered that my local library no longer had the book which I read again and again as a child. That book is The Saga of Erik the Viking by Terry Jones. So, in a fit of nostalgia, I bought it from Amazon and read it once again. The book has lost none of its magic.

Read the rest of my review here:

Jessica Pesic
Being Scandinavian (and having an intense passion for vikings when I was little), my mother bought this book for me when I was learning how to read. At that age it seemed monstrous to me, almost like a text book, but it was filled with beautiful illustrations, so I didn't mind. This book will always be special to because it was my mother-and-me book.
She used to read it to me all the time until I learnt how to read, at which point I read it to myself over and over again!
TrumanCoyote
A pretty fun read, with some hilarious bits strewn throughout (sorting out the seating arrangement on the ship, for example, and the fine citizens of Hy-Brasil using the weapon of denial in their battle against the rising sea). Perhaps inevitably a bit derivative-seeming in places, but at least Jones is only stealing from himself, not others. Nobody much seems to have liked the actual movie, so I guess it looks better on the page than it did on the screen.
J Cravens
Terrific book for kids you want to eventually turn on to Tolkien. I was expecting a comedy book - instead, I got an epic that reads like a classic saga. I loved this book - and would have been out of my mind over it when I was 11 or so and trying to find absolutely anything in the tiny school library about mythical stories, having moved on from devouring every fairytale book I could find. Will definitely seek out more Terry Jones books!
Paula
This is one of my very favorite read-alouds with children ... The first time I read it ... I shared it with my own 3 young boys . . . when they were still at that magical age of childhood bedtime stories ... the years just beyond age 5. Their minds ... imaginations and eyes were full of wonder as each new chapter / adventure ... unfolded, was anticipated ... with pleas to read more than one chapter a night.
Tom Rokins
Unfortunately, it's not as good as I remember it being (though I was only about 8 when it was read to me). However, I can see this being a great book to read to a child as a bedtime story, in instalments of a chapter or two each night, as each new section contains a neat little summary of the previous one, and each chapter has a self-contained story.
Fiona
Sep 21, 2009 Fiona marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I think I read this back in junior school and remember really enjoying it. It is one I've always thought about since but could never remember the title or author. As a kid I was never really good at remembering those. I just wanted to read the thing - who cared who wrote it or what the title is!
the Reeds
The only similarity to the movie Erik the Viking and this book is the title. The movie is a comedy, the book is YA action-adventure. Being a huge fan of Monty Python this book is somewhat of a letdown especially if you've seen the movie before reading the book.
Ed
Awesome book! Full of suspense and of action. Some of the chapters give little morals, even if they are not written. If you think about it you will be able to find them as you go along the story
Bequi
A wonderful book full of Norse inspired tales of adventure! Terry Jones also directed a movie called Erik the Viking which is also wonderful but nothing at all like the book.
rabbitprincess
Jul 19, 2008 rabbitprincess rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who enjoy good children's stories
Recommended to rabbitprincess by: JNY
Shelves: cadeau, 2008
Wonderful book. Loved the many adventures that Erik et al. went through, and the illustrations were beautiful. If my brother has kids, I'm reading this book to them.
Erik
Considering my name is Erik, it goes, WITHOUT SAYING, that this gets 5 stars.

But it does, actually, deserve it. It's kind of like the Odyssey for vikings.
DJMikeG
My favorite book as a kid, I had a large, deluxe edition. Excellent, exciting viking saga.
Erik Mallinson
My grandparents gave me this book when I was a kid. It's pretty much the story of my life.
Jake
Quasi Children's book by Terry Jones of Python.
Kate
Unique, fantastic stories. An absolute classic.
Milind
Chess, Vikings and Death. 'nuff said
Susan
Tons of fun
Pavel V
Pavel V marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Ed
Ed added it
Jul 03, 2014
Ralph
Ralph marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Jinnatuljannat
Jinnatuljannat marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Ghost Stories of M. R. James (Popular Classics)
  • The Worst Witch Saves the Day (Worst Witch, #5)
  • The Road of Bones
  • Underwater Adventure
  • Monty Python's Big Red Book
  • A Medieval Feast
  • Gobbolino The Witch's Cat (Kingfisher Classics)
  • Cue for Treason
  • Burglar Bill
  • Rattle Bag
  • When the Wind Blows
  • I'm the King of the Castle
  • Hemingway's Chair
  • The People Could Fly: American Black Folktales
  • Ordinary Jack (The Bagthorpe Saga, #1)
  • Robin Hood of Sherwood Forest (Scholastic Junior Classics)
  • Three Billy Goats Gruff
  • Red Sky in the Morning
Terence Graham Parry Jones is a Welsh comedian, screenwriter and actor, film director, children's author, popular historian, political commentator and TV documentary host. He is best known as a member of the Monty Python comedy team.
More about Terry Jones...
Lady Cottington's Pressed Fairy Book The Goblin Companion Terry Jones' Medieval Lives Starship Titanic Strange Stains and Mysterious Smells: Based on Quentin Cottington's Journal of Faery Research