Start by marking “The James Joyce Murder (A Kate Fansler Mystery #2)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The James Joyce Murder

Amanda Cross

The James Joyce Murder (A Kate Fansler Mystery #2)

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  359 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Um den Nachlaß des amerikanischen Verlegers von James Joyce zu ordnen, zieht sich Kate Fansler in sein Haus auf dem Land zurück. Doch im ländlichen Idyll von Araby ist nicht alles so friedlich, wie es den Anschein hat: Als eine Bauersfrau aus der Umgebung erschossen aufgefunden wird, läßt Kate ihre Papiere liegen und macht sich an die Arbeit....
Mass Market Paperback, 0 pages
Published February 1st 1990 by Ballantine Books (first published 1967)

To ask other readers questions about The James Joyce Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The James Joyce Murder

Amy
This is my 2nd Kate Fansler novel and I enjoyed it a lot. Even though I have never read Joyce, this was still enjoyable (or enjoyce-able as it were--har!)As always I learn a lot and keep the internet at hand for all the latin phrases and other literary terms she throws our there! I had no problem reading this despite not being a joyce fan. I may pick up a short story or two in the near future.
Also,in her 2nd Kate Fansler novel, Cross has developed some delightfully witty dialogue between Kate
Victoria Mixon
I wanted to like this one really badly. How could a vintage mystery addict bibilophilic professional fiction editor not love a 1960s mystery based on the letters between James Joyce and his publisher/editor?

But it was just simply too precious. And the plot itself makes you think Cross had never read a mystery in her life.

"As famous writer #37 said," nobody ever got off a manslaughter conviction for teaching a child to point a gun at the head of a living person they don't like and pull the trigge
Lesly H
I bought this at a charity shop, on a whim. I was intrigued by the synopsis, and impressed by the published recommendations.
However, the book did not live up to my expectation. I felt that Amanda Cross (Carolyn Heilbrun) was attempting to emulate the likes of Oscar Wilde or Noel Coward, but lacked the style or wit. The plot is thin, but in retrospect that is probably essential, given the artificial conversation which is the real meat of the book.
The characters all seem to 'discourse' in the same
Judith
The James Joyce Murder by Amanda Cross, the second of the Kate Fansler mysteries, takes place at a farmhouse in the Berkshires where Kate is spending her summer supervising her nephew as well as the sorting of the papers left by a publisher among whose correspondents, James Joyce looms large. Kate has hired two grad students: one to tutor the nephew and one to sort the papers. Reed arrives to find Kate presiding over this household of young males, not to mention the bellowing cow or the boys’ ca ...more
Anna Ligtenberg
ISBN 0345346866 - As a mystery fan, I opened this one happily. I was far happier to close it. Most of the book is written in a very pretentious way - paragraphs such as "She's gone, though not without collecting a bottle of vinegar, expressing inchoate horror at the use of wine vinegar at twice the price of ordinary, asking if she could borrow the house for her garden club's tea, informing me she was busier than anyone else on earth, and wondering, with barely concealed salaciousness, what were ...more
Kate Eklund
The book was a light read, and I would have enjoyed it, had the
mystery been more compelling. The mystery came second to the personal dramas of the main characters; while many of the moments between characters were riddled with subtle clues, many moments seemed completely out of place and seemed only later justified by being tied to the mystery. It was a very top-heavy narrative, plodding through exposition for the first 60-odd pages, then getting mired in discussions of little import to the rea
Writerlibrarian
I read this novel years ago in French. I had no memories of the plot but remembered the style, the wit, the finesse of the author. Amanda Cross is as sharp as I remembered. Kate Fansler still interesting and fun in a upper class, intello way. The nice things : the quotes from others detectives series like Lord Peter Wimsley, mentioned twice at least, and since it's James Joyce lots of Ulysses and Dubliners. In this novel, Kate ends up in the country for the summer with her precocious nephew Leo, ...more
Cassandra
I found this to be well enough written, although once again the dialogue is often unrealistic to the point of annoyance; people just do not talk in paragraphs, and to have so many people who talk so similarly takes away much of the charm of Kate's overly pedantic manner. But there were many things I liked; it had a certain precision to it, here and there, and I enjoy books in which the characters talk about different ways of being in the world. The mystery was a little odd, but servicable enough ...more
Sonia Grgas
After finishing all of the works of Agatha Christie and Rex Stout I despaired of finding a mystery writer that could compare. Amanda Cross fits the bill! This was better than the first in the series and I can't wait to read the next.
Janet
The story had a slow start (the murder didn't even occur until almost halfway through the book!), yet I found myself drawn in slowly. Enjoying this series!
Eliz Fogarty
Picked it up for light reading, but had a hard time getting through it -- not her most entertaining.
Babette
I had some trepidation when I started this book that it would be as silly as the prior Kate Fansler mystery, but, now that I have finished it, I will say it was much better. At least the plot was credible, although much of it was obvious. This is still not a great story, but some of the dialogue and characters are fun at times. I own numbers 5 and 6 in this series, so will probably read numbers 3 and 4. Unless there continues to be vast improvement in the plots, I am not sure I will consider Ama ...more
Marti
of the two kate fansler novels i have read so far, this was less of a mystery. apparently i picked up three one time at a book sale, so we'll see how that one is. kate lucks out when she is staying in the country as a favor to a friend in that there is a housekeeper and a cook. this one takes place before she has married the lawyer, or assistant district attorney, reed amherst, whose name seems to come from two colleges. the victim is not a beloved personage, and no one seems to miss her, least ...more
Teresa
I'm not entirely sure that I understand all the references in an Amanda Cross novel, but I always come away wanting to know more. This one is a departure for the group from their New York setting, showing them to be far more metropolitan than even they might have imagined. And, it serves to show just how much activity actually occurs in the 'hinterlands'.
Diane
Again, I don't like the characters much, but I read Cross for the literary references. All the voices in her fiction are the same, and her love of Virginia Woolf... which is not the problem... becomes the love of too many characters... which is the problem. No diversity.
Rdonn
Another Kate Fansler Mystery. I have three to read that were given to me, and I do enjoy these literate mysteries. She is different from most sleuths I've read as she's an academic and the pages abound with literary references. I will happily read more of her.
Derek
Captures the atmosphere of a rural Massachusetts country house brimming with colorful characters, but the literary references and murder mystery itself are secondary to the characters. Not exactly what I expected, but an enjoyable enough summer read.
Sandie
Mar 06, 2008 Sandie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sandie by: Mystery Book Group
An earlier Kate Fansler mystery, I liked some of the dialogue between Kate and Reed. Cross uses an interesting conceit of having the chapter names be the same as in Joyce's book of short stories, The Dead. It's a quick read, and was quite fun.
Samira
I do love an Amanda Cross. She is smart, snobbish, and terribly literary. I kind of enjoy reading about a heroine who would proably not give me the time of day, even though it makes me feel dreadfully inferior.
Julie H.
I love Prof. Fansler almost as much as I love James Joyce, so it's a bit of a toss-up. Great mystery series with a literary and academic hook--always a good story, too.
Candace Wegner
I cannot believe I am just discovering Amanda Cross. I actually started reading Joyce again --- and I never liked Joyce, even in grad school.
Elaine
for anyone who likes well-constructed sentences, literary allusions, and mysteries without excesses of gore, plus interesting characters.
Barbara
A disappointment. I had heard good things about Amanda Cross. If this book is any indication, she's overrated.
Sarah Hackley
A delightful lead character filled with wit, moxie, and charm; feminine without being "girly."
Particle_Person
This was the among most upbeat of the Kate Fansler books, and a pleasure to read.
Sara
a bit slower than in the last analysis, but still a good book.
Barbara
Ok but not compelling. Witty and wordy.
Bev
My favorite Amanda Cross....
Beth
Beth added it
May 08, 2015
  • The Shortest Way to Hades (Hilary Tamar, #2)
  • Burying Ariel (A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery #7)
  • Oxford Blood (Jemima Shore, #5)
  • Murder Superior (Gregor Demarkian, #8)
  • Past Tense  (Inspector Sloan #23)
  • Mrs. Malory: Detective in Residence
  • Chester Cricket's New Home
  • An Unequal Marriage: Or, Pride and Prejudice Twenty Years Later
  • Novena for Murder (Sister Mary Helen, #1)
  • No Colder Place (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith #4)
  • The Moving Toyshop (Gervase Fen, #3)
  • The Ivory Dagger (Miss Silver, #18)
  • A Piece of Justice (Imogen Quy, #2)
  • Carte Blanche
1968686
A psuedonym of Carolyn G. Heilbrun.

More about Amanda Cross...

A Kate Fansler Mystery (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • In the Last Analysis (A Kate Fansler Mystery #1)
  • Poetic Justice (A Kate Fansler Mystery #3)
  • The Theban Mysteries (A Kate Fansler Mystery #4)
  • The Question of Max (A Kate Fansler Mystery #5)
  • Death in a Tenured Position (A Kate Fansler Mystery #6)
  • Sweet Death, Kind Death (A Kate Fansler Mystery #7)
  • No Word from Winifred (A Kate Fansler Mystery #8)
  • A Trap for Fools (A Kate Fansler Mystery #9)
  • The Players Come Again (A Kate Fansler Mystery #10)
  • An Imperfect Spy (A Kate Fansler Mystery #11)
In the Last Analysis (A Kate Fansler Mystery #1) Poetic Justice (A Kate Fansler Mystery #3) Death in a Tenured Position (A Kate Fansler Mystery #6) The Theban Mysteries (A Kate Fansler Mystery #4) No Word from Winifred (A Kate Fansler Mystery #8)