Start by marking “Until Dark” as Want to Read:
Until Dark

Until Dark (FBI series #3)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  540 ratings  ·  31 reviews
From New York Times bestselling author Mariah Stewart comes a novel of sexy romantic suspense for fans of Nora Roberts, Catherine Coulter, and Karen Robards.

Published December 2nd 2003 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Until Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Until Dark

Judi
This is my first read from author, Mariah Stewart and won't be my last.

Kendra Smith is an FBI sketch artist and has been called into a case
with FBI Agent Adam Stark..Kendra had just returned to her hometown
following the suicide/death of her Mother. Kendra also married quickly after the Mother's death to a former college love. This marriage just
didn't last. Eleven years prior, Kendra's brother and cousin were found missing.Thought to be a victim of kidnapping and murder - there bodies never found
Louise
This is the second Mariah Stewart novel I've read and I'm quickly becoming a fan. Her novels are heart pounding and riveting.

"A skilled compositor for the FBI, Kendra Smith has a way with witnesses, helping them to remember crucial details about their attackers they might otherwise have forgotten. She believes her work helps to provide closure for the victims and their families, closure that has eluded her for the eleven years since her brother was kidnapped, his body never found.

Determined to p
Lynn Demsky
"Sketch artist Kendra Smith, has experienced more than her share of sorrow: her father died of cancer, her brother and cousin are presumed murdered and her mother recently committed suicide. Still, she agrees to lend her skills when her ex-boyfriend, Special Agent Adam Stark, asks for her aid in searching for the Soccer Mom Killer, who targets blonde single mothers. The sexual chemistry between Adam and Kendra simmers on the back burner as they work the case, which may disappoint those looking f ...more
Chella
I just found this book to be quite boring. The only reason why I read it so quickly was because I wanted to get it over with. I like to feel the adrenaline, the highs and lows of a really good book but I figured who the killer was early on in the story. Kendra is an artist profiler for the FBI. Her little brother and cousin have been missing for years and presumed to be dead. Both parents have also passed away, leaving her alone with no family except her aunt that she hasn't spoken to since the ...more
Deborah Robb
Pretty good story. Kendra Smith is a compositor for the FBI and is called in to draw the picture of a serial killer. The killer it turns out is actually trying to Kendra's attention and is connected to her brother and cousin's disappearance 11 years earlier.
Biba
This was an okay book. Not perfect but not bad either. There were a few things I didn't like. I didn't get too attached to Kendra, but I liked Adam. Although I didn't see the big deal of them together, there was almost no romance, even if they had a thing before, I just didn't care for them as a couple. Also, I wasn't a fan of the end at all. At the end I was like, that's it? I thought there would be more to it, but nope. The end was a very big let down, especially after everything that happened ...more
Lisa
Not bad for mystery/candy. Nicely for me, while I picked the book completely at random, I found it dealt with the area of South Jersey where I grew up, included a bunch of canoeing, and also contained quite of bit of references (erroneous, BTW) to honeybees -- all interests of mine. The author has "killer bees" responsible for the death of one of the protagonists. Her descriptions of Africanized honeybees was extreme and inaccurate, but so are most accounts. Otherwise, it was suspenseful and enj ...more
Shiela
This book had me engrossed from the first page and I could not put it down. The non-stop action, the chilling suspense and the unpredictable plot twists were just what I needed for the weekend. Although Until Dark is classified as a novel of “romantic suspense,” the romance aspect of this story was not central to the plot and did not slow down the action at all, which I find is a rare treat. Oh and the “predictable” ending…not so predictable, you’ll never be able to guess who the killer is. This ...more
Janet
A villain so evil I don't think I want to meet up with him again, even in a book. A heroine that growls and roars; I am loving it!!! The character of Adam was okay, but just that. Felt pretty much the same way about Miranda
Would've liked to see more of Selena's gift, but I understand that her reluctance was part of the storyline. Also would of liked to see a little more humor, but then again that's just me.
I guess, as a whole, book was okay but certainly did not "grab" me.
I'm being kind. It was
Corky
Kendra Smith has a way with witnesses, helping them to remember crucial details that may help identify a criminal, that she then turns into composite drawings.

Heavily involved in a case involving missing and slain "soccer moms", she not only has to deal with a rekindled romance with Agent Adam Stark, but the fact that the killer seems to be wanting her attention.

Some things she learns are truly terrifying and others put her mind and past at rest.
Sandhya
It was a OK read!
At first it was little bit boring, but after some time it became interesting and the suspense was really worth the read. But, i thought the romance part was almost nil. And also, the end was abrupt, i did not like it.
I like Ms. Stewart's writing, i may read her other books, especially i want to read the stories of Miranda, Annie McCall and Portia who have been mentioned in Until dark.
Afsana
I enjoyed this book. Quick read, light entertainment. i semi guessed who the cuprit was - my initial instinct was right the flipped then rflipped back.

If you are looking for complex and a complex storyline this is not the book for you.

Also though there was aattractio between the main players in the book it was nice to not to see it be acted out in the book.
Nicole
I liked the book for a number of reason, the main one being I had no idea who the killer was (I usually figure it out). Actually, I liked it to so much because it tricked me! By the middle I decided who the killer was, and then was proven right when the killer came out and said it...but then it wasn't! It was completely different, and it suprised me!
Elaine
This was the book my 89 year old mother in law was reading when she died. SHe loved murder mysteries. I thought it would bring me closer to her. I read it while keeping vigil. It was well written and had a touch of romance. I can see why she liked it. May try another one .
Amy
I wish I could articulate why I thought this book was just all right. I guess parts of it felt...not really predictable, but like you knew they were there for a reason. Forced into the plot, in a way. It had a good story line and a nice twist at the end though.
Ariel
I liked this book even if it was kind of unoriginal . If you need a filler or see it around it might be worth picking up , depends on your tastes . It's one of them books that you can see what's going to happen and still have to keep reading .
Vicki
Very Good Book! Fast paced with enough romance, side stories and twists and turns. Really liked the characters and settings. Guess I am going to have to check out more of her books. Hope these characters are in another!
Melissa
Dec 06, 2011 Melissa rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Suspense Readers
This was a great suspense book. The characters were great. The story and subject matter were amazing. I love Mariah Stewart. This is one of her best novels. A must read for a suspense reader.
Dale
Not a bad mystery. I was surprised at the end so that was good. The book did not flow as fast as I like. The romance in the story was believable and kept that part of the story moving.
Kristin
Very interesting how the author tied everything back to Kendra's family. Loved the characters and the book revealed how Kendra and Adam got together. It was great!
Becki
This one was a bit better but it was really dark. I think I need to take a break from suspense books for a while.
Sharon
Sep 30, 2011 Sharon rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mom, Darlene, Jess
Shelves: read-in-2011
LOVED this book!! Literally could not put it down. I'm thinking this is the best book I have read in a long time.
Joyce McKune
Really good plot. One of those that you don't want to put down. Read it in 24 hours. Oops!
Lbnqc
This was my first book by Author and I was hooked and read 2 more over the Christmas holiday!
Sherree
Yeah, I figured it out early, but it was still a good read.
Hope
This has me excited to read more of her books
  • Pitch Black (Black CATs, #2)
  • Cutting Edge: A Novel of Suspense
  • He Kills Me, He Kills Me Not (The Deadly Games Series, #1)
  • Breakwater (Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshals, #5)
  • The Killing Art (Kate McKinnon, #3)
  • Body Count (Sophie Anderson,  #1)
  • The Hydrogen Murder (Periodic Table, #1)
  • True Colors (True Trilogy, #2)
  • Waking the Dead (Mindhunters, #3)
  • A Wicked Slice (Lee Ofsted, #1)
  • Love You to Death
  • The Mournful Teddy (A Bear Collector's Mystery #1)
  • Wait Until Dark
  • Edge of Midnight (Chasing Evil, #3)
  • Swimming with the Dead (An Underwater Investigation #1)
  • Unstoppable (Tracers, #2.5)
Mariah Stewart is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of twenty-six novels and three novellas and has been featured in the Wall Street Journal. She is a RITA finalist in romantic suspense and the recipient of the Award of Excellence for contemporary romance, a RIO Award for excellence in women's fiction, and a Reviewers Choice Award from Romantic Times Magazine. A three-time winner ...more
More about Mariah Stewart...
Dead Certain (Dead #2) Mercy Street (Mercy Street, #1) Dead Wrong (Dead #1) Last Look (Last #1) Cold Truth (Truth #1)